PDA

View Full Version : Making XP a wireless AP/proxy.

Shoeberto
01-12-2008, 03:02 AM
I want to get my Wii online here at school. Unfortunately it can't get on to the network without proper credentials, and the school currently has no plans to allow us to register them to bypass the network login.

So what I want to do is have my PC be a wifi access point that the Wii can proxy through so that its traffic is seen as my PC's (this isn't breaking rules, btw. I work in IT and talked to my boss about it today).

I don't know if my google-fu is rusty or what but I can't for the life of me figure out how to do this. I have to use XP, because my wifi card doesn't work under Linux. Any help you can give me is appreciated.

crono_logical
01-12-2008, 03:08 AM
If the Wii allows ad-hoc wireless networking, you could try setting up internet connection sharing on the PC, so the Wii gets NATted out and appears to be traffic from the PC when it hits the network :p

Shoeberto
01-12-2008, 03:36 AM
When I tried ad-hoc, it detected the network but for some reason when it tested the connection said the network couldn't be found. Not sure if that's user error or not though.

o_O
01-13-2008, 05:01 AM
What is the wifi card that you're using, and what chip does it use? Also, what driver are you using in Linux? Have you tried ndiswrapper/rt73/madwifi (depending on the chip)?

Anyway, you can definitely use XP as an AP. Have a look <a href="http://www.netlife.co.za/content/view/35/34/">here</a> for a short guide. Just be aware that I haven't tried it so I can't guarantee it works. :p

Shoeberto
01-13-2008, 08:20 AM
To be as succinct as possible, I've tried many many many years to try and get it to work under Linux, and despite claims of it working and following steps closely over and over again, it just doesn't and I'm willing to accept that :)

Thanks for the article though. I'll try it out soon.