PDA

View Full Version : My PS2 is illiterate!!!

Woodinator
01-12-2008, 10:07 PM
Yeah my PS2 just refuses to play games, it usually takes about 15+ mins of putting it back in the system for it to be able to read a disc. Every time it comes up with "Cannot read disc"

It's one of the original one's (I got it right when it first came out) so it's pretty old, and I know it's not the discs because the mini-PS2 at home (which i shall be stealing in a month or two) can read them fine.

So is there any quick, easy fix to make it read discs or am I doomed to dealing with this until I go back home and switch the PS2's?

Momiji
01-12-2008, 10:33 PM
Just keep trying. My old PS2 (now my brother's PS2, but still technically mine) does this. My current one (still an original big console) works just fine.

Bahamut2000X
01-12-2008, 10:37 PM
My PS2 sucks at playing PS1 games. It got better when I stood it on it's side. I still get a lot of disc read errors, but not quite as many. Could try that and see if that works.

Momiji
01-12-2008, 10:39 PM
Also, cleaning the system seems to help a bit. Make sure the vents are free of dust and make sure the fan is clean. I suggest using compressed air if you have it in the CD insert slot too, just in case. Also, check to make sure the CD in question is clean too.

Roto13
01-13-2008, 01:10 AM
I think I'm a bit more pessimistic about the whole thing. :P Sounds like your PS2 had a good run.

Fonzie
01-13-2008, 04:37 AM
There are sites on how to fix your PS2 for no less then 5 dollars.

I've fixed mine about 2 times already, and played pretty great everytime.

o_O
01-13-2008, 04:53 AM
I'd wager that the laser is out of alignment. Depending on the model of the PS2 there will be a few different ways to fix a crooked laser. You need to open the PS2 and then open the CD drive to get at it.

You should Google for guides on correcting the alignment of your PS2 laser, I've fixed several PS2s this way.

Woodinator
01-13-2008, 08:19 PM
ah thanks for the advice... yeah i tried realigning the laser once because the start up disc for ffxi had a blue bottom, and my ps2 has never liked those discs

Idk i suppose ill try cleaning it out...just has to last me a month or so thanks though ^^