PDA

View Full Version : Quick Question

FFIX Choco Boy
01-13-2008, 02:18 AM
Hey, it says somewhere on this site that you can get people to ride chocobos, can sumone tell me how to?

oddler
01-13-2008, 05:22 AM
Hmm. I tried to find instructions on how to do it but I couldn't find anything. I don't think I've ever actually even recruited a chocobo but I would suspect you just move a human ally unit onto the space that the ally chocobo is occupying to make the unit mount it.

Roto13
01-13-2008, 05:34 AM
If memory serves, yeah, that's all there is to it.

.:kerrod:.
01-13-2008, 12:19 PM
yeah, all you have to do is get a human character to move onto a square that a friendly chocobo occupies (normally the square below your characters is empty, but if there's a chocobo, it's blue, and therefore, there's the ability to move onto it). By doing this, however, you void all the chocobo's turns and only the rider can attack

FFIX Choco Boy
01-13-2008, 11:34 PM
Oh, that sucks, I thought you'd be able to get 5 chocobos, then mount 5 of your people BEFORE the battle, not during. And since all my people have 6 or 7 move, chocobos are pretty worthless to me as mounts.

Gilthanes
01-14-2008, 01:50 AM
Its a shame the way they did it, its really not that usable. The only real reason you'd ever mount up in battle, other than the looks, is to get a low jump/low move character to a specific spot very quickly.

When a character mounts a chocobo, their speed and attack power is the same, but the move/jump ratings of that character become what the chocobos was (since he is now riding the chocobo), and your chocobo no longer gets any turns (till the rider dismounts, which I believe theres an option for once you are riding)

The idea I guess is that it can help you move a slightly immobile character far away, very quickly. But the chocobos that can really move great distances can either a) fly up close to enemies and do great dmg,or b) drop a big meteor on a very far away enemy for LOTS of dmg, or c) provide excellent healing to your allies by not mounting it. Had they provided other benefits to mounting a chocobo in battle, i.e. maybe adding a portion or all of the chocobos attacking power to the rider (i.e. rider has 10 PA, chocobo has 15 PA, rider now has 25 PA), then it might have been more used

Jowy
01-14-2008, 01:56 AM
Helps to stick Ramza on a Black Chocobo and have him jump the gate in the Lionel Castle fight. Just finish clearing out the other units and then take out Gafgarion rather easily.

Bolivar
01-14-2008, 01:59 AM
I think they should've made it where monsters take less space than humans, like 2 monsters could take 1 human slot, i think that would've been better and made chocobos more important in the game. With the way it is, that means you only have 3 other members, kinda handicaps your whole party.

I once put Mustadio on a Chocobo like "look! he's a Conquistador!!!"

Gilthanes
01-14-2008, 04:03 AM
Helps to stick Ramza on a Black Chocobo and have him jump the gate in the Lionel Castle fight. Just finish clearing out the other units and then take out Gafgarion rather easily.

Teleport, Ignore Height, etc do the same thing without sacrificing a party member slot and time spent putting the chocobo in place. Hence the problem with chocobos.

Had there not been ways to raise any characters move/jump to 8/5 and beyond, or ignore height, or teleport, then one could argue for the use of the different chocobos :(

BG-57
01-14-2008, 07:16 PM
FYI, although you cannot ride on large monsters like Worker 8 and Hydras, you can climb over them to move large vertical distances. This is especially handy in Nelveska Temple to get those all important Javelin (II) and Escutcheon (II).

Nakor TheBlue Rider
01-26-2008, 01:50 PM
BG-57: you can climb over [large monsters like Worker 8 and Hydras] to move large vertical distances. This is especially handy in Nelveska Temple to get those all important Javelin (II) and Escutcheon (II).

Especially since you cant use both "Ignore Hieght"/"Teleport" and "Move-Find-Item" at the same time.

meaning you need to be able to jump that high with just your job and Gear, not using a movment Ability other than "Move-Find-Item".

Siegfried
02-02-2008, 08:09 PM
Chocobo + Gunner (Person with Gun)= unstoppable