PDA

View Full Version : Is it dead forever?

louby_4eva
01-13-2008, 03:13 PM
I bought an external hard drive, lovely little thing, 500 gig :D :D :D
That was three days ago...here I am now, with a broken external hard drive :(
It was connected to my laptop, I was accessing the files when I pulled my laptop forward, completely forgetting the wire connected to it is like a metre long and it tumbled onto laminate flooring :(
I tried connecting it again and my laptop would read it but it said that everything had been erased, fantastic. It makes a horrible screeching sound when I try and use it and I have no idea what to do. I'm pretty sure it's completely dead because I opened the file and attempted to put something else in it and it wouldn't let me, however, if anyone knows of a way to perhaps fix it I would be happy. Is it possible to send it to a repair shop or anything?

Smile and Be happy :love: (even when you break an expensive gadget)

Roto13
01-13-2008, 04:31 PM
Oh my. Well it's really new. Where did you get it? Is it under warranty? One that includes... you know... smashing it? xP

louby_4eva
01-13-2008, 06:11 PM
I'm pretty sure the warrenty doesn't include throwing it on the floor. I bought it from scan in Bolton, and the receipt says that they inspect it if returned to find out whether it was broken before or after I got it. If they find out it was me they can fine me £10 :(

Tallulah
01-13-2008, 06:22 PM
Well, it was accidental damage... are you covered for that?

You could try taking it to a PC repair shop, but make sure you get one that gives free or cheap estimates for repair, and doesn't make you pay a massive no-repair fee. You can find a reputable one in the Yellow Pages; try one with a big advert, and a landline number, first and foremost.

Good luck. :)

rubah
01-13-2008, 06:39 PM
don't let them find out, tell them when you take it in :p

Aerith's Knight
01-13-2008, 06:53 PM
even if it is.. its better then to buy a new one

louby_4eva
01-13-2008, 07:01 PM
Just checked the seagate website (the manufacturer) apparently, they don't cover accidental damage. I'll have to see if I can find a repair place then.
Thanks for your help :D :D :D

Smile and Be happy :love: