PDA

View Full Version : Historical Background

Siegfried
01-14-2008, 03:55 AM
Come up with some facts from real life that connect to the characters to ppl or languages or thing from the real world...e.g. Edgar -> King Lear...and explain it.

Note: Be more creative with Terra (meaning earth) and Gogo (Adlai Stevenson).

Avarice-ness
01-14-2008, 05:32 AM
o o.

Historical background meaning like things that had influenced some things in FF6?

Well here's the most obvious one, to me atleast.

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g89/crimsonh2o/Kefka_finalform.gif
http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g89/crimsonh2o/180px-FFVI-lastboss_us.gif

Say hi to the fall of satan! Also, note the crucified person. Basically in christianity, the anti-christ is suppose to come into power in a good maner and have like good aura about him. Clearly Kefka doesn't have that, but he does have his "Light of Judgement" which is much like how the anti-christ is suppose to behead you when you turn against him. Also, it's named after something that would be religiously redeeming, much like the anti-christ in the rapture is suppose to work. Actually rewarding members of his cult with power and keeping them alive for his own use.

Rumor has it Kefka is named after Franz Kafka, which holds more weight due to the fact Kafka's most popular book is called "The Metamorphis" which is also the title of the song that plays when Kefka comes into full power on the floating continent to the world of ruin.

Another thing about Franz Kafka.

An isolated reading of Kafka's work — focusing on the futility of his characters' struggling without the influence of any studies on Kafka's life was worthless — reveals the humor of Kafka. Kafka's work, in this sense, is not a written reflection of any of his own struggles, but a reflection of how people invent struggles.

Apparently the translations got lost at some point, and while it seemed that Kafka himself disliked his own existance, it was actually that the existance of everyone around him and in the world he lived in was worthless, because they were the reason for their own struggles.
This easily could have been taken into the concept of Kefka. The idea that people are the reason for all the evil in the world, and to end it would be to bring everything into a void of no good nor evil. In some way people might see that as Kefka being "noble" but seeing as he's insane, it's just a skewed veiw on morals and what not.

Also, FF6 is set up like a European Opera, and a tragic opera at that.

Roto13
01-14-2008, 06:37 AM
I love you, Ashley. <3

Avarice-ness
01-14-2008, 08:18 AM
I love you, Ashley. <3

xD Aww Roto, you just love me for my kefka obsession. Which means you're using me to get to him!

blackmage_nuke
01-14-2008, 08:38 AM
"Aren't you a little short for an imperial trooper?"
Not historical but whatever

Kawaii Ryűkishi
01-14-2008, 10:50 PM
Rumor has it Kefka is named after Franz Kafka, which holds more weight due to the fact Kafka's most popular book is called "The Metamorphis" which is also the title of the song that plays when Kefka comes into full power on the floating continent to the world of ruin.That's not as conclusive a link as you may believe. "The Metamorphosis" is just the English translation of the title of Kafka's novella; as he wrote it, the title is "Die Verwandlung," and in Japan, it's known as "Henshin." Furthermore, the actual title of the FFVI track is "Metamorphose."
Apparently the translations got lost at some point, and while it seemed that Kafka himself disliked his own existance, it was actually that the existance of everyone around him and in the world he lived in was worthless, because they were the reason for their own struggles.
This easily could have been taken into the concept of Kefka. The idea that people are the reason for all the evil in the world, and to end it would be to bring everything into a void of no good nor evil. In some way people might see that as Kefka being "noble" but seeing as he's insane, it's just a skewed veiw on morals and what not.Kefka's philosophy had less to do with self-demonization and more to do with the belief that life's efforts are meaningless because the persistence of death and decay will eventually erase all achievements with time. He was a skeptic, if not a nihilist, which would put him more in line with Nietzsche than with Kafka.

I'll give you that their names are similar, though.

Bolivar
01-14-2008, 11:38 PM
Cyan is definately based on the Japanese Samurais, not just in job class. During his introduction, he introduces himself to the captain of the Imperial invading force. This was very customary between Samurais of opposing sides, to introduce themselves to eachother before doing battle.

Considering the metamorphesis was his most famous work, I definately see the link between the song title and him. Although the japanese name is even further than the american one (cefca), I see the nature of him as resembling the author. Although English speakers might find his stories to be about really horrible things, in German, he read it with a humurous tone. Seeing as how kefka does horrible things and still has his trademark "laugh", i definately see the connection. The fall of lucifer thing is great, didn't realize that until it was pointed out in another thread.

Roto13
01-14-2008, 11:46 PM
His Japanese name is ケフカ. The romanized letters are up to the reader. Cefca is no more right or wrong than Kefka, Kefca, etc.. It's pronounced the same and translates back into ケフカ. (Unless I copied the wrong characters and that says "Palazzo" xP)

Takara
01-16-2008, 12:59 PM
Nope, you copied the right characters.