PDA

View Full Version : Romantic stories

rubicante
01-14-2008, 12:07 PM
Which Final Fantasy so far had the best love story? And please don't answer FF1

Goldenboko
01-14-2008, 01:55 PM
FFI

(Haha I got there first now back off losers!)

Seriousness: FFIX, loved that love storyline.

Kanshisha
01-14-2008, 02:01 PM
The best? i don't know about the best.. but the one i have in mind is FFVIII. the quotes just keep coming in.

Raebus
01-14-2008, 02:27 PM
FF1

Somebody already said it, damn.

Goldenboko
01-14-2008, 02:42 PM
The best? i don't know about the best.. but the one i have in mind is FFVIII. the quotes just keep coming in.

Don't get me in to how much I despised that story. The entire thing felt awful, and forced. In real life circumstances I can't see them getting together, and even in game circumstances I often felt myself saying, "How is she liking him?" or "God dammit, your blowing it Squall."

The storyline was littered, with abrupt changes in Character attitude, particularly with Squall. When Rinoa was taken over by Ulti, he suddenly cared, I mean suddenly. Before that he was all "Buzz off windbag." Then he goes all, "AGH! MY BABY :cry2:". I didn't buy it. Then when he rescues her he's back to long tall and gloomy, with the "Buzz off windbag." Attitude. Maybe Rinoa is just attracted to guys that want nothing to do with her but, her beginning attraction to Seifer would hint otherwise, he definitely was described as interested.

And seeing as the just totally dropped the everyone else's story and threw the other characters along for the ride, the attention was SO focused, on SAR that these glaring mistakes are magnified. Seriously, what happened to Quistsis's ambition in the beginning of the story? It died because of an awful orphanage scene? (And don't get me started on that scene). No of course not, but by then the writers where done giving her story.
Or what about Zell's library hunny we only here about once?
And what about the hinted attraction between Selphie and Irvine? Why didn't we hear more about that?

FFVIII's love storyline was focused on 1 forced couple, who didn't really belong together which just sucked.

blackmage_nuke
01-14-2008, 03:04 PM
I admit the VIII story was abit annoying but that part where he catches her in space is just too good.

However i would have to go with VI as my answer because it had alot of little love stories and you have locke and celes.

Kanshisha
01-14-2008, 11:18 PM
Ok.. so FFVIII had some forced relationships, but as blackmage_nuke mentioned the space moment. at least that was a memorable moment.

Bahamut2000X
01-14-2008, 11:20 PM
FFIV. Rydia + Edge forever!

cloud21zidane16
01-14-2008, 11:27 PM
FFIX was good because it had a strong build up throughout the whole game:)

Bolivar
01-14-2008, 11:57 PM
The entire thing felt awful, and forced. In real life circumstances I can't see them getting together, and even in game circumstances I often felt myself saying, "How is she liking him?" or "God dammit, your blowing it Squall."

The storyline was littered, with abrupt changes in Character attitude, particularly with Squall.

If I may, I don't think the changes were abrupt if you pay attention to the story. From the very beginning, Squall is determined to keep his emotions hidden from those around him. At many times throughout the story, he thinks one thing and says another. He obviously cares for Rinoa, and hides it by saying "I'm just doing my job."

Also, in life you're going to see plenty examples of girls/guys who give their affection to someone who treats them like :skull::skull::skull::skull:. SAR isn't that extreme of an example.

I would say it's a toss-up between FFVIII and FFX. the space scene in VIII, as blackmagenuke said, is just too damn good. The ending with Tidus and Yuna is mad emotional. Very few movies hit me like that, but that's just my opinion. Locke and Rachel was pretty sad, especially when the Phoenix shows up and the music plays.

Gilthanes
01-15-2008, 05:36 AM
Locke and Rachel was pretty sad, especially when the Phoenix shows up and the music plays.

Ya when I was young I had tears at that scene, which is amazing considering that for the most part you really dont know much about Rachel, other than the fact that she and locke loved each other.

Despite not knowing much about her, the scene was still pretty emotional, especially involving the phoenix

smittenkitten
01-15-2008, 12:45 PM
For me I think it was FF IX, the romance between Zidane and the garnet is cute so cute. I love the ending it's all.. *sigh*. For FFVII Cloud was really messed up, he loved Aeris but she goes and get sephirothed. Tifa is in love with him but he still feel for Aeris so it's all complicated. FFVIII was a good romance story, I think Quistis had a wee thing for Squall but she went off him, probably Irvine's good looks and gentlemanly manner. :jokey: So Rinoa was in love with Seifer but he went all bad ass and so she fell in love with Squall instead. *cough* slut *cough* I think Squall was a bit wierded out at first but he fell in love and they got married had 100 goomba kids. I think i got that all right. :D

Marshall Banana
01-15-2008, 02:11 PM
Laguna and Raine's story is my favorite. Squall and Rinoa aren't the only lovers in FFVIII, you know. =O

Aerith's Knight
01-15-2008, 05:20 PM
For me I think it was FF IX, the romance between Zidane and the garnet is cute so cute. I love the ending it's all.. *sigh*. For FFVII Cloud was really messed up, he loved Aeris but she goes and get sephirothed. Tifa is in love with him but he still feel for Aeris so it's all complicated. FFVIII was a good romance story, I think Quistis had a wee thing for Squall but she went off him, probably Irvine's good looks and gentlemanly manner. :jokey: So Rinoa was in love with Seifer but he went all bad ass and so she fell in love with Squall instead. *cough* slut *cough* I think Squall was a bit wierded out at first but he fell in love and they got married had 100 goomba kids. I think i got that all right. :D

that exactly what i wouldve said. :)

so i can just quote and say i agree :p..

Avarice-ness
01-16-2008, 06:11 AM
FFVI's Locke/Rachel/Celes love triangle makes me happy.

Serapy
01-16-2008, 12:01 PM
FF1.

Heath
01-16-2008, 12:15 PM
What's not to like about FFI's love story?

Since I can't say that, I'd either go with the Locke/Celes/Rachel love triangle from FFVI. The scenes with Rachel were really sad, whereas some of the scenes with Celes and Locke are really quite heart warming. Otherwise, I'd say FFIX had a pretty decent love story. It had a nice, drawn-out development which allowed you to witness key changes in the characters throughout the game. Zidane, for instance, focusses less on lust and more upon romance and Garnet becomes more trusting of ordinary people.

Avarice-ness
01-16-2008, 09:08 PM
What's not to like about FFI's love story?

Since I can't say that, I'd either go with the Locke/Celes/Rachel love triangle from FFVI. The scenes with Rachel were really sad, whereas some of the scenes with Celes and Locke are really quite heart warming. Otherwise, I'd say FFIX had a pretty decent love story. It had a nice, drawn-out development which allowed you to witness key changes in the characters throughout the game. Zidane, for instance, focusses less on lust and more upon romance and Garnet becomes more trusting of ordinary people.

Dude, I loved Zidane and Garnet, and I think it was because it had the nostalgia of Celes and Locke. Theif and Ex-Emperial and Theif and Runaway Princess are close to the same thing.

Captain Maxx Power
01-16-2008, 10:17 PM
The romance between myself and Quistis is too epic for you lot to handle.

smittenkitten
01-16-2008, 11:38 PM
The romance between myself and Quistis is too epic for you lot to handle.
I don't think I would like to know your romance between you and Quistis in the dark with the memory stick in... :eek:

PeneloRatsbane
01-17-2008, 12:06 AM
I like the subtler ones a bit more, the ones that make you think are they aren't they, got a bit of a soft spot for Stiener/Beatrix
and Fran and Balthier have an interesting dynamic, tht bit in the pharos lighthouse is touching, cos they have such respect for each other, and it was a tender moment.

I don't exactly know the Celes/locke but i can't wait to find it out, Celes is a very interesting character

Raine and Laguna is adorable and also v.underated, its great.

and ofcourse FFVIII's Biggs and wedge, ya know it was happening.

Lulu and Wakka, it really was ( to me anyway) a nice suprise that they got together and had a baby,

Hazzard
01-17-2008, 04:43 PM
I hated the fact that Lulu and Wakka had a baby, I'm sure Chappu wouldn't of approved...

For me, it was VIII's love story I guess. Would of picked X's but the TAY laughing scene made feel pretty sick, it was too false, but the Lake Malcania scene was so beautifully set out, it made cry quite a lot...

Vivisteiner
01-17-2008, 07:05 PM
FFIX's was very good.

FFX's was alright.

FFVIII's sucked.

Bolivar
01-17-2008, 07:20 PM
FFIX's was cheesy

Bahamut2000X
01-17-2008, 08:00 PM
FFXI ftw!

Raogrimm + Cornelia forever!

Takara
01-18-2008, 09:09 AM
I'm a real sucker for the Cecil/Rosa/Kain love triangle.

ff is da best
01-18-2008, 12:10 PM
id have to say FF VIII

Wolf Kanno
01-26-2008, 02:00 AM
Welll I will start off by saying that unless the game is suppose to be about love then the lovestories should be told in the background and rarely take center stage. For that reason, IX and X are off my list cause they were cheesy, predictable, and had no right of stealing the spotlight from the more important (and interesting) things going on in the story.

VIIIs could have been told better but I disagree that its as bad as the haters claim it to be and I know from real world experience that feelings can change that quickly...

IVs was interesting and hopefully the DS remake will flesh it out. V doesn't really have one, VI was good, VII was pretty good just because nothing is ever really stated. Its an odd triangle. XII doesn't have a love story really though it alludes to so many damn pairings (I still think Ashe has a thing for a certain dashing sky pirate). I can't really say cause I never felt the FF series did love stories very well. I guess I'll say VI-VIII are the only decent ones.

01-26-2008, 02:27 AM
IV's was good if you like it to be a given that the girl goes for the Hero and becomes a damsel in distress, and you don't mind that it doesn't really develop, but was always there.

VI's was good if you like the story never feeling resolved.

VII's was good if you like the childhood friends type thing, with the added twist that the hero has the personality of a stump.

VIII's was good if you're a 14 year old emo kid.

IX's was good if you like that fairytale touch.

I haven't played beyond IX. Suffice it to say the FF series in my experience doesn't seem to bring that Levin/Kitty or Dominique/Howard Roark engrossment. Not that I should expect that from a video game, but c'mon. Squall??? GTFO.

Martyr
01-26-2008, 03:37 AM
I Cyan and that shameless bar hussy who he eventually gets together with.

Avarice-ness
01-26-2008, 03:58 AM
VI's was good if you like the story never feeling resolved.

I feel the Celes, Locke, Rachel thing was resolved at the end, from what they say before fighting Kefka, that Locke is now able to celebrate the dead and the living and Celes saying she's glad someone can accept her for who/what she is.

Then to conclude that, after the battle, Locke is able to do what he couldn't with Rachel, save her from falling to her doom. Then after saving Celes who's clinging to Locke's bandana like a security blanket, they run off hand in hand as the place falls.

Big D
01-26-2008, 11:42 AM
FFVII, for me.
Having genuine input into how things go was a real plus. Also, it's great how the romantic aspect is kept subtle, unlike some of the later stories where it tends to dominate. More realistic that way, I think - after all, the heroes are out there fighting for their lives and for the life of the planet, so it's not like they'd spend a lot of time with their romantic futures at the forefront of their thoughts. Also the open-ended romantic sub-plots meant that not everything was tied up nicely at the end - a more believable outcome, in my opinion, and one that left more up to the imagination of the player.

Fynn
01-26-2008, 12:15 PM
FFVII. It's the best written one up until now, IMO. It's mjust so complex and keeps you wondering. it's also very realistic.
FFVIII's was nice as well, but more cliche, whereas VII's was more original. And yeah, it does sometimes happen the way it does in VIII. I say this based on my own experiences.
I liked X's as well but... Yuna seemed a bit passive here...

Garnie
01-26-2008, 01:22 PM
:heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart:
thats really difficult all of them made me squishy inside! I probably really like FFX love story...but then again i like the relationship of Squall and Rinoa....Then again i like Zidanes constant skirt chasing.......GAH THIS IS TOO HARD!:heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart:

aquatius
01-28-2008, 08:43 PM
They all sucked in my opinion.

Aerith's Knight
01-29-2008, 01:57 AM
They all sucked in my opinion.

smacks gyrus around with a large trout