PDA

View Full Version : Anybody ever listen to audio books?

Gopher Gamble
01-15-2008, 01:19 PM
I'm a part time worker and a full time student but I still love to read. The only problem is that I hardly have enough hours in the day anymore for reading. What I've picked up doing recently is buying books on cd and it's actually pretty cool to do. Usually driving down listen to music mostly but I also listen to those. Anyone else like'm?

Big D
01-15-2008, 02:07 PM
I downloaded a couple of audiobooks from Librivox.org, a site where people record and upload 'public domain', i.e. non-copyright, literature. So far I've grabbed the Saga of Eirik the Red and Beowulf.

Vincent, Thunder God
01-20-2008, 06:44 PM
I love audio books! Often a book is just better suited to be heard then read, and often it can be much more soothing and relaxing to kick back and enjoy a good speaker read away!

Breine
01-20-2008, 10:01 PM
I've never really tried it, but I don't think it's something for me. I like to read and a part of that, at least for me, is to take my time when doing it and just relax, y'know.

I know you can also relax and take your time when listening to an audio book, but after you've heard the whole thing there isn't gonna be the same feeling of satisfaction as when you've just finished reading a book - because when reading you actually put some work into it, and so in the end I think it's much more rewarding to read.

But sure, for busy people who don't have the time I suppose it's a nice compromise.

blackmage_nuke
01-20-2008, 10:41 PM
Whenever i have to read a book in a limited time i tend to rush it and read paragraphs without know what they just said and then have to go back extending the reading time.

So what i do is i download the book in text and use my computer's text to speech program to help me pace myself, then i steadily increase the speed. The monotone gets annoying and my computer only has one voice (microsoft sam) but i can live with it.

Vincent, Thunder God
01-20-2008, 11:03 PM
Whenever i have to read a book in a limited time i tend to rush it and read paragraphs without know what they just said and then have to go back extending the reading time.

So what i do is i download the book in text and use my computer's text to speech program to help me pace myself, then i steadily increase the speed. The monotone gets annoying and my computer only has one voice (microsoft sam) but i can live with it.

Wow, such a great idea!!! This would be perfect for slowing the pace of the reading - which admittedly can be too fast when real people read them - also ensures nothing is abridged from the book. Also, it'd be great for those many novels not on audiobook, and finally, saves a LOT of money. :D

The monotone sounds like it almost defeats the purpose of hearing a nice voice though. :(

El Bandito
01-21-2008, 04:35 AM
As someone who loves reading, audio books just don't get the job done. I just can't get absorbed into a story no matter how amazing the voice reading it to me is as much as actually reading the novel myself.

Dark Eternal Knight
01-22-2008, 01:34 PM
Nah, can't do it. It just makes me feel like I'm sitting in a nursery, getting ready for nap hour after my milk and trail mix.

Several years back, an ex of mine's family (and herself) were OBSESSED with Harry Potter, and they'd buy every book on the night of release along with the audiobooks. She'd take them along with her in the car. Every time she'd ask me to listen with her, I'd cringe.

I guess that's cool, if you absolutely have nothing else to listen to.

Araciel
01-24-2008, 01:11 AM
Do it when I work out.