PDA

View Full Version : Zounds.... wait what?

Polaris
01-16-2008, 05:32 PM
So tomorrow I have an exam of Shakespeare and the english Renaissance, pretty things :) But there is a problem, I think that in the play "Othello" characters, the one I remember most is Iago keep saying "Zounds, peace, peace".

My teacher told us he had no idea what "zounds" meant and actually neither do I! :( Is it perhaps a kind of interjection?

:( Thanks

fire_of_avalon
01-16-2008, 05:41 PM
Zounds means something like "the wound of god". My high school english teacher said that anyways.

Roto13
01-16-2008, 06:55 PM
zounds - Definitions from Dictionary.com (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/zounds)

rubah
01-16-2008, 09:46 PM
"holy crap"

foa, he did mean 'God's wounds!'? that used to be a popular style of cussing. god's nose! god's thumb! etc. Or at least taht's what Catherine, Called Birdy said anyways.

blackmage_nuke
01-17-2008, 12:31 AM
I thought it was somewhat like "darn it" but i only assume this because Red XIII says it in FFVII after Yuffie steals your materia

Tallulah
01-17-2008, 12:43 AM
Back in Shakesperean times, the word 'zounds', does indeed mean 'God's wounds'. It was considered a mild curse word; the modern equivalent would be something along the lines of 'damn'.

A similar, worse curse word, also around in the same era, 's'blood', means 'God's blood', and the modern equivalent of that would be the F-word.

Just a random bit of useless information for you there. :tongue:

Dolentrean
01-20-2008, 05:18 AM
Zounds means "By His Wounds"

I love the word, I mean, Zounds is just a great word to say, particularly while playing Halo.

Big D
01-20-2008, 09:21 AM
Like others have said, 'zounds' is short for 'by God's wounds', and it's a rather potent Shakespearean epithet.

Handy tip for this word: It does not rhyme with 'hounds'.

Heath
01-20-2008, 05:02 PM
Zounds means something like "the wound of god". My high school english teacher said that anyways.

Always the definition I've been given as well. Well, "God's wounds" but same difference.

Araciel
01-24-2008, 05:43 AM
I learned about the god's wounds thing from the simpsons.

but don't listen to them, it's actually like sounds but with a buzzzing noise.

Xaven
01-24-2008, 07:12 AM
Like others have said, 'zounds' is short for 'by God's wounds', and it's a rather potent Shakespearean epithet.

My 9th grade English teacher said it was pronounced "zownds," as in "hounds". D:

Sensory Input Conflict. Prepare to self-destruct. D:

We had a whole lesson on medieval insults. I forgot mine. Something to do with a moldwarp.

Big D
01-24-2008, 08:13 AM

My 9th grade English teacher said it was pronounced "zownds," as in "hounds". D:A fairly common mistake, that. Unless your English teacher also pronounces 'wound' (injury) the same as 'hound'. The more comprehensive English dictionaries include this word, along with the correct pronunciation; same goes for many annotated editions of Shakespeare's plays.