PDA

View Full Version : Your opinon on your gaming consoles, and your preferred console for gaming.

KentaRawr!
01-17-2008, 08:30 PM
Well, none of these on the first or second pages, so I think we need another thread about our opinions on gaming consoles today. :p

I can't really give an in-depth opinion on any system besides the PC or the Wii, so I'll just state my opinion on the Wii to begin, I suppose. Discussion begins!

At the time I got the Wii, it was for a pretty simple reason. I preferred the system's line-up, just like anyone would do when buying a system. But, what's happened since the Wii was released is a general lack of games. The 7 Ubisoft games turned out to be rather lack-luster, sadly, and the most fun I've gotten is from mostly Nintendo's games. They were great experiences, and I don't regret getting my system at all, but I definitely dug too far into the hype.

Don't get me wrong, I do enjoy the Wii's line-up greatly, and there are some games currently out I've yet to get that I want, such as Medal of Honor Heroes: 2, and King of Fighters '94 on the Virtual Console. But what really disappoints me is the usage of the controller by developers.

As of late, it seems as though the only effective usage of the controller comes from usage of the Sensor Bar and Pointer, an absolutely brilliant system I'd say. It's not motion-controls, but it's a new system of controlling games that works well, and is very precise in capturing your movements. The other motion sensing capabilities of the Wii Remote don't seem to be used very commonly to actually capture your motions and represent them, but rather, take specific quick motions in specific directions to represent what could have been a button-push instead. Though this hasn't proven to be necessarily a bad thing, it just makes me think of what could have been when I play a game that controls like this.

Something else I don't like is how the Wii seems to miss out on newer multi-platform titles, like Soul Calibur 4, for example. Once the Ps2 is finally dead, it seems like everything for the Wii is going to be exclusive, but it seems like companies will merely make games for the Wii to spend less on making the games themselves, and cash-in by a bit. That really sucks. Since Nintendo only has one console to cash-in on, they spend more money on their games in hopes that they sell well, and are the only ones that seem obligated to make Killer App's for the system. 3rd Parties don't seem as excited about the controller as they did before.

I feel like I'd prefer to have an X-Box 360 at this point rather than a Wii. But, still, if I could trade my Wii and my 9 games for an X-Box 360 and 9 of its games, I probably wouldn't, because then I'd miss my collection of games, 'cause I like it. :monster: But I still feel that developers haven't reached enough of the potential of the Wii Remote, and developers definitely seem to be a bit more lazy when it comes to making games for the Wii rather than the other systems.

Anyway, your opinions on your currently owned consoles?

Cookie
01-17-2008, 08:44 PM
I wasn't aware that I was the only one still playing my PS2.

KentaRawr!
01-17-2008, 08:56 PM

I couldn't squeeze "current-gen" into the title. I apologize.

Boney King
01-17-2008, 09:34 PM

I am too, you're not alone.

Yar
01-17-2008, 09:38 PM
PS2 is my preferred console.

Bolivar
01-17-2008, 09:51 PM
Kentarou, I hear some of the things you've been saying about the wii. all consoles have had some time on the market, and all have a pretty good picture of where they're going, so i think maybe now we can get some good input on this.

Like you said, it's all about the games that a console has. This year I finally committed and bought myself a ps3. I've been a Sony gamer for years now and honestly, the other 2 big systems don't have a game lineup that I could see myself forsaking the ps3 for. Certain series, like FF, MGS, GTA, I know that I definately want to play the next game, and I couldn't see myself buying a system that would cause me to miss that.

Also, I kind of felt like the Wii was cashing in on novelty that was soon to wear off, and if I read it right, it seems you pointed out that the first and third party developers may have hit a brick wall for now. I love mario, zelda, starfox, but I haven't been up on any of those games on Nintendo's major consoles, I guess I could live without them.

And then there's the XBox360. I never really liked it from the start, it seems like a console of multi-platform games, the only one of which that isn't that has stood the test of time is Halo, which I really feel is a sub-par shooting game. All of the games for it seem like generic knock-offs of genres that are already starting to get redundant. It seems like there's zero ingenuity going on over there really. Plus the fact that you have to pay for a subscriptino to XBox live is very unattractive, I don't need a periodic fee when buying a game console, I think that's rediculous. Not to mention hearing so much about faulty systems, the red circle of death, people going on their 3rd try buying an XBox 360, I have 2 friends that are on their second, i've heard of games being shipped that don't play out the box, and ones that get scratched easily. I don't think i'd ever buy a 360.

The ps3 seemed like a great package, in addition to having the promising library I know i'll be going with. WiFi internet access, Blue Ray DVD player, the ability to create partitions so you can put other operating systems on it. With all the usb ports, i can surf the web with a keyboard and mouse, and play roms with my usb controller. I've been playing Final Fantasy VI on snes9x and it's worked great. Not only does the system have so many great games coming out this year, but you might as well add the NES, SNES, and Genesis libraries to that (for free) and you have one hell of a system. Over the long haul, it seems like the best purchase and it's already paying off. Plus, my usb-game controller gets picked up as a ps3 controller. So I've been real happy with it, and by the look of some titles coming out this year, it was a smart move.

LunarWeaver
01-17-2008, 10:51 PM
I would have been happy with any of them, but I chose the 360 because it seemed to make me the happiest and I don't regret it at all. I really feel like Microsoft went through some great lengths to dispel of the "shooter box" reputation the first had.

And Xbox Live is fun, although it's the worst online community since Al Gore invented the internet and computers so long ago. But what popular online community is actually good? It'd be better if I had more friends, but apparently you have to be a complete dumbass that raps taunts during gameplay to get anyone your list.

Tavrobel
01-17-2008, 11:00 PM
The PC. Though I have four fresh games for the Wii, I just can't find the time to play anything on them. when I do have enough time during the day, it never lasts as long as I want it to, so I can only play short segments of KHII.

On the other hand, WCIII and DII are eating up all of my time.

Rostum
01-17-2008, 11:07 PM
PS2. The next console I'd get is a PS3, as my girlfriend already bought us a Wii and though it is heaps of fun I am much anticipating the next instalment of Final Fantasy and Kingdom Heart games, among a few others.

So yeah, for now I spend most of my time on the PS2. Wii is great when my girlfriend and I want to stay home and just chill out, and our families love it. So it's a really great party system.

Madame Adequate
01-18-2008, 12:37 AM
The one that plays the games I like to play.

So, all of them.

Ouch!
01-18-2008, 01:01 AM
Since I have them all now, I don't bother to play favorites. I bought the Wii first; I have the most games for the Xbox 360; most of the games I'm looking forward to (exclusives, anyway) will be on the PS3.

KentaRawr!
01-18-2008, 01:13 AM
Since you have all 3, it seems like your opinion would be one of the more insightful. :monster: Why not share?

Namelessfengir
01-18-2008, 01:55 AM
i might get xbox and ps3 but i have no money so ill just steal my cousins

Evastio
01-18-2008, 01:59 AM
I've always been the Nintendo kind of guy sooo...

Ouch!
01-18-2008, 02:38 AM
Since you have all 3, it seems like your opinion would be one of the more insightful. :monster: Why not share?
Alright, I'll give it a whirl.

Let's start with the Wii. I bought the Wii on launch date--waited outside in the snow for it and everything. I hesitate to call the system a disappointment, but so far that's what it's turned out as for me. To be fair, The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess and Super Mario Galaxies are among some of the most fun games I've ever played. I was a bit disappointed by Super Paper Mario (the switch to a platformer-RPG gameplay style bothered me).

The lack of decent third-party titles for the Wii bothers me a little bit, but that's something I expected when I bought the console. When I'm honest with myself, I know I got a Wii so I could play Zelda, Mario, and Brawl. Nintendo puts out some fantastic first party games, and those three are enough to justify the console for me. I imagine many others would disagree.

Finally, ever since I've gotten the system, I've had difficulty connecting to the virtual console. Now that I'm at college, I can't connect the Wii to the internet (the University of Miami blocks connections by consoles, and I don't know how to get around it on a Wii), I wouldn't even be able to fix the connection problems with the virtual console if I wanted to.

I bought my Xbox 360 back in the beginning of September. Since then, I've been immensely satisfied with the system. The most obvious advantage the console has is its volume of games in comparison to its competition. Halo 3, Mass Effect, Bioshock, and Eternal Sonata all turned out to be fantastic games.

Xbox Live has been incredibly fun. I've never really been into online gaming outside of MMO's before, but I'm very happy with Live. By setting an alternate Mac Address to the Xbox 360, I've been able to convince my school that my Xbox is my laptop, but the NAT settings are set to strict, so I have some trouble with match-ups every so often. That's not a problem I can blame on the console itself, though.

My only gripe with the Xbox 360 right now is that it's future isn't looking particularly eventful--at least not for me. I mean, I've got Lost Odyssey pre-ordered, and I'm really looking forward to that, and Last Remnant looks cool, but since I've got a PS3 now as well, I'm not really going to count that as a point in the favor of either console.

Lastly, the PS3... well, I only bought it this past Monday, so I don't have an awful lot to say about it quite yet. I've not explored many of its capabilities beyond standard gaming. I've not tinkered with the internet settings to get it online like my Xbox 360, but that's mostly 'cause I don't have any games with online multiplayer yet.

A big advantage for the PS3, especially since Warner Brother's announcement, is its use of Blu-Ray. Since it appears Blu-Ray has come out on top as next in line to replace the DVD, that alone is good news for any PS3 owner.

I've got Ratchet and Clank Future for the PS3 right now (as well as all my old PS2 and PS titles), and it's pretty damn awesome. I've not even tried Motorstorm, and I don't really desire to either; I'm not big into racing games. I'm still viewing the PS3 as an investment at this point. A lot of its value still hasn't been entirely realized. The news about Blu-Ray is big, but other than that, I'm still waiting for a lot of future titles. FFXIII, FFvXIII, White Knight Story, God of War III, etc. The PS3 has a lot going for it, but I would still suggest holding off. The only reason I bought one because circumstances allowed me to purchase the 80GB model, an extra controller, and Ratchet and Clank Future for $260 of my own money (achieved through a combination of gifts and deals). It was a deal I couldn't really pass up.

Oh, the Six-Axis pseudo-motion-sensor-thing (whatever it's called) is about the most frustrating piece of crap ever. It's more gimmicky than the Wii mote, and as soon as I got the option to do so in R&C, I turned it off in favor of the left analogue stick.

Right now, I suppose I'd rank the consoles as follows as per personal preference:
1. Xbox 360
2. Wii
3. PS3

I imagine that the PS3 will be making a huge jump forward in the next two years. That's still a long time ahead, but it will probably surpass the Wii for me unless the Wii starts throwing out some more titles I'm interested in (next Zelda please).

Evastio
01-18-2008, 02:58 AM
The lack of decent third-party titles for the Wii bothers me a little bit, but that's something I expected when I bought the console. When I'm honest with myself, I know I got a Wii so I could play Zelda, Mario, and Brawl. Nintendo puts out some fantastic first party games, and those three are enough to justify the console for me. I imagine many others would disagree.

Keep in mind there's also that Kirby Wii game that has helpers and Kirby able to ride on helpers. (which most likely means cooperative multiplayer madness!!) It better not be cancelled like a lot of other Kirby games have...

KentaRawr!
01-18-2008, 03:22 AM
Evastio, that game is like an un-heard of Duke Nukem Forever. It's not coming out. :p

By the way, Ouch, I think I may have a solution to your internet gaming problem. I'm not sure if your university can tell the difference between a Game Console's connection and a PC's connection if the Game Console's connection is to receive its internet from a PC. So, one thing you could do is get a USB Adapter. Nintendo made one that's specified towards the Wii, but it gets bugged out after a while for unknown reasons. Because of this, I would recommend a 3rd Party USB Dongle that supports more than one system.

But the Virtual Console is always hard to connect to, anyway. It just decides to not work for anyone at certain times, which is usually all the time.

Caraliz
01-18-2008, 03:51 AM
i've been really into just playing my snes and psx. i'm currently playing ffix and secret of evermore and i couldn't be happier. flashy graphics don't interest me as much as the telling of a good story or fun gameplay, which is inherent in both aformentioned games.

however, if i had to pick a new console, i would pick the wii. it's just a lot of fun. but after that, i don't know if i'd pick the ps3 or the xbox 360. i'd probably just go down the cheaper route and pick an xbox and play all the games i've always wanted to play but couldn't.

Mr Cactuar
01-18-2008, 07:12 AM
PC. It will always be the best when it comes to graphics so theres no point for me to be arguing about whether to get a PS3 or 360 based on graphics. The only reason I'd get a 360 would be for Halo 3, and I've never been that interested in it anyway. I will end up getting a PS3 for all the Square games being made for it, because and multi platform games (Bioshock, Orange Box) are always better on PC anyway.

I will be getting a Wii soon, mainly because of Brawl. I was an avid SSB fan and missed out on Melee, so now its time for me to hit back especially now that the game's become so big.

Kanshisha
01-18-2008, 08:16 AM
Well, i only chose the PS3 because of the games that i wanted. Yeah, i wanted some games from the 360, but overall in the long run the PS3 was more efficient for me. In my mind, the Ps3 had more game options for me.

I mean, i only planned on getting the PS3 for FF, but i ended up getting assassins creed. Seeing all the up coming games, i saw SF4 which also helped me notice i made the right choice.

Loony BoB
01-18-2008, 11:57 AM
For personal use, I would go with PC. For online use, again, I would go with PC - but only because I haven't gone online with anything else. For group (all at the same location) usage, it has to be a console, and in the long run I have no idea which the better party console will be.

For personal gaming on a console, I think in the end I will opt for a PS3. With rumble controllers and without six-axis, of course. I'm not keen on the whole movement thing.

ff is da best
01-18-2008, 12:13 PM
ive been into the ps2 for many years now and think its time to move on.

so ps3 here i come

JKTrix
01-18-2008, 02:10 PM
I'm the kind of guy who has his ear to the ground when it comes to games, so I tend to sniff out most things of value if they pop up. I don't want to miss anything, so I have to try everything (though I rarely finish anything). While I can afford it.

The Wii has a decent group of 3rd party gems, exclusive or otherwise. It's just a shame that they're so hard to find when you're flooded by crappy games on one side and Mario on the other, since that's what everyone else sees. Some of the 'gems' even look like a lot of the 'crap', which is also unfortunate. I have a few Wii games that I come back to repeatedly, in addition to the few games I have in my usual 'wii rotation'.

PS3 is all about potential. It's been out of the "I played that on 360 last year" stage for a little while now, and with the upcoming release of the DualShock 3 things should only continue to get better. Seriously, the lack of rumble doesn't bother you when you get used to it. But once you get it again, you won't go back. My SIXAXIS is packed away in a drawer somewhere with my other 'old' game controllers. I'm only excited about a couple of upcoming exclusives, but even the several multiplatform games are something to look forward to. One of the PS3's underrated features (from my POV) is the Install. It's done to compensate for technical shortcomings (BluRay Drives are a lot slower than DVD drives, loading would be horrendous) and takes a long time, but the payoff is great. For multiplatform games, the 360 used to have the advantage for me in regards to Online and Achievements, but the PS3's Install outweighs those benefits. The fact that it's 'region free' is a big deal to me too. Though, I still use it more for DVDs and streaming things from my PC.

The 360. I've kind of forced myself into a 'blackout' for the 360, since mine is currently on the blink. No red rings, just freezing games after 2 minutes of play (if I'm lucky). I haven't invested too much thought in its software future because of this, but up 'til that point the 360 had an impressive list of quality games. If a gamer could only get one system, I would most likely reccomend the 360.

GARuhi break.
http://img181.imageshack.us/img181/7804/garuhiju4.jpg

I'm using the PS2 a lot more than I should. Part of the reason being that my imported games only work on my PS2, but also a few of my older games that I'm trying to finish don't work properly on my Launch model PS3.

PC. I have a very good PC (with an NP9262 (http://www.powernotebooks.com/specs/Sager/9262specs.php) laptop on the way...). While I don't game nearly as much as I do on consoles on it, it remains a solid platform. Call of Duty 4 and the Orange Box compilation (that I also got for 360 before it died) are what I usually play on it. PC Gaming's popularity has been waning, however. Most recently, Crysis and Unreal Tournament 3--both major games--sold rather poorly. While PCs are technically a superior platform, console gaming has multiple advantages that are overall easier for the average person to make use of.

Not included in the poll, but I'll make quick mention of the handhelds.
PSP: Great. I randomly picked up Monster Hunter Freedom 2 the other day. What an overwhelming game. That seems like the type of game that you can play exclusively for a long, long time. Like an MMO. Demands too much attention for me though. The PSP overall is much better than it was, and with the PS3 integration its features continue to expand.

DS: Love it. I spend most of my game time on this. Its main advantage is that I can take it anywhere, but I often play it at home in place of my other consoles and when I'm on the computer. A few of my most-played games are 'import only' titles, and it's a shame what most of you are missing out on. Without those I probably wouldn't like the DS as much as I do, but even so there are a *lot* of great games in English. Some of them suffer the same fate as Wii games, where there's a lot of rubbish (and Mario) and some of the good stuff looks like rubbish.

Overall, nothing is failing! Sony's on the upswing, Microsoft is trucking along steadily (despite the 'broken 360' thing), and Nintendo is just rolling in it for all the 'wrong' reasons while still giving us core gamers a bone once in a while.

I Am Stoner
01-19-2008, 02:34 AM
360 for me. Why? Coz - Mass Effect, Halo 3, Gears Of War.

Plus I guess equally PS2, almost purely for Final Fantasy.

escobert
01-19-2008, 03:37 AM
I'm all about the PC gaming.

Dreddz
01-19-2008, 12:40 PM
Im at a tie between the PS3 and 360 at the moment but I value my PS3 more due to its future releases. Im actually bummed out by the 360 now. All of its big titles are out and the future looks pretty stale in comparison to the PS3's. Sometime down the line Illl sell my 360 (probably after Ninja Gaiden II). My PS2 is broken which is a big bummer as I really wanted to get back into Persona 3. I hate the idea of buying another PS2 and chipping it again. Ill probably just fish out my swap magic discs again. I was never a PC gamer. I still get a kick out of playing classic games for it (Half Life, Deus Ex) but I have no intention to ever upgrade it. I just need it for the internet. My PSP and DS have been left out for quite a while now. The last game I played through all the way for a portable system was Silent Hill Origins, which was a ton of fun. Now im just waiting for FFIV Remake, FFVII: Crisis Core and God of War.

black orb
01-19-2008, 05:38 PM
>>> Playstation 2.
I dont care about the new consoles, probably I`ll care when FF13 comes out.

The Devil
01-19-2008, 09:21 PM
I love the 360 for Gears of War's extreme violence and how Xbox Live delivers many souls to me.

Hazzard
01-19-2008, 09:35 PM
Xbox 360. For the sheer love of Assassin's Creed, and chopping those Templar bastards' heads off.

Nifleheim7
01-19-2008, 09:36 PM
My gaming time in 2007:
PS2-80%
DS-20%
In 2008 my gaming time will be devided beetween PS3,DS,PSP and PS2(still lots of great games on this console that i want to play/finish...)

Del Murder
01-19-2008, 10:07 PM
PS2 and DS are still tops for me.

Zora
01-20-2008, 05:48 AM
360. Too many great games. I love Blue Dragon (even if it isn't the best RPG). Eternal Sonata is a great game too. Mass Effect is okay. I can't get into it. Oblivion is a great game. Halo 3 has GREAT online, but shoddy offline. Call of Duty 4 doesn't look entertaining online, but I have yet to try it (sounds broken, IE first person to get a kill wins the game). Those are pretty much the only games I have played on the 360.

As for the Wii. I found most of its collection to be average (including SMG, MP3C, TP, and SPM). The only game I really enjoy was Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn. It is a FUN game. '

The PS3 I may get, and may not.

I don't own a gaming PC.

As of right now 360>Wii. As I said, the only Wii game really like is FERD. The 360 has quite a bit I enjoy. I also like Xbox LIVE, unlike NWFC which is crap.

Momiji
01-20-2008, 05:53 AM

I still use mine as a DVD player!

Anyway, I love my Wii to death, so I'll pick that. Otherwise, I'd say Xbox 360 merely because it has Halo 3.

Northcrest
01-21-2008, 01:22 AM
Well so far I think the consoles are having a good leap. I have a PS3 and (since my Dad keeps on running out of money) decided for a belated birthday gift on Feburary the 1st week. So far the Wii I think is going pretty good. There are some games that are great, but like before the Wii is losing its touch with 3rd party games. If I do get a Wii I want SSBB, Mario Series, Kirby Series, Naruto, Sonic, and anything else that might end up sparking my opinion. On my PS3 I have only one game that is Sonic the Hedgehog. Its alright but could use some improvement. I want to get Dynasty Warriors 6 and, Guitar Hero III, FFXIII, FFvXIII, KH3, certain Naruto Games that caught my eye, Xenosaga, and some more Square enix games I've been think about. I don't plan on getting an Xbox 360 cause I'm more of a childish video game player and Xbox is loaded with T and M games. So htis is pretty much my thoughts.

Dark Eternal Knight
01-22-2008, 04:34 PM
I own just about every major console release under the sun other than a PS3. As far as next gen consoles, I'd have to say my favorite so far has been by far the Xbox 360. I wasn't a huge original xbox fan, as I found that game library to be pretty lackluster and contain nothing more than shooters, sports games, and terrible platformers. However, MS really stepped it up with the 360, and I think they have the strongest bunch of games out right now. And apart from their holiday downtime with XBL, I really enjoy the service. (Sadly, I encountered my first red ring of death and sent it out a week ago.:cry: )

We preordered the Wii months before it released, and it's a great system, however, we didn't end up playing it as much as I thought we would. The control mechanics is a neat idea, but after a while, the novelty burns out and it comes down to having great games. I've spent the last two weeks or so playing Super Mario Galaxy though, and I really really like it. While I don't think it's my personal "game of the year" like many other websites and publications have named it, it certainly has redefined platforming games, just as its predecessors have.

I've taken a short break away from my PC and WoW, which used to take up pretty much most of my free time.

With the 360 sent away and the Wii good every once in a while, I've been playing my PS2 the most, trying to finish FFXII (I'm about 65 hrs in and still haven't finished it), and almost done with the first disc of FFVII on my fifth time through. xD

If I had to pick the console of consoles though, I think I'd go with PS2. Huge selection of games, catapulted DVD sales through the roof, backwards compatibility, and it's just brought so many new titles and franchises to the game world. Sony hit it big time with that one, and while I might not have a PS3, I'm forever a Sony fan.