PDA

View Full Version : RSS feeds

Roto13
01-17-2008, 11:58 PM
Do you like 'em? Do you love 'em? I do. I think it's great that I can just open up Thunderbird and every single website I check for updates is right there in front of me, with updates named and outlined, just waiting for me to pick and choose which stories I'm interested in checking out. Why, I don't even have to remember to check OCRemix any more, since new songs are automatically updated in the RSS feed. Webcomics, game blogs, news, you name it. All of my regular stuff in one convenient little place.

So what RSS feeds do you subscribe to? What do you use to check them? How awesome are they?

rubah
01-18-2008, 12:07 AM
I read slashdot and sinfest the comic through Livejournal's syndication. I used to have digg on there, but there were way too many updates so i removed it x.x; I also read metafilter on livejournal (some days I think about joining, but they have a registration fee, and then I don't think its worth it anymore) also neil gaiman's blog, another blog, and probably a couple of other things. I really loved it when lj started syndicating rss feeds.

Miriel
01-18-2008, 12:57 AM
I have 15 different photography blogs whose RSS feeds I subscribe to. I didn't use RSS feeds for the longest time, cause I didn't really mind going to each blog separately. But now that I DO you it, I can't believe how easy and convenient it makes things.

Roto13
01-18-2008, 01:01 AM
There are websites that I never bothered to go to because it was too much of a hassle to check them all the time. (I'm looking at you, webcomic sites!) That's not really a problem with RSS feeds.

By the way, rubah, have you tried using an RSS client like Thunderbird? It's much more convenient than using LJ. Plus, it keeps your friends page clean.

Vincent, Thunder God
01-19-2008, 09:08 AM
I hadn't started using RSS but I think I will now - there's quite a few sites who's news I constantly read and I'm getting tired of checking all of them. Thunderbird sounds like the best option (thanks for the suggestion Roto).

Markus. D
01-19-2008, 12:27 PM
RSS is great :D

I'm glad it's shining nowadays.

Baloki
01-19-2008, 04:35 PM
My RSS feeds are syndicated to my LJ!

rubah
01-19-2008, 05:32 PM
There are websites that I never bothered to go to because it was too much of a hassle to check them all the time. (I'm looking at you, webcomic sites!) That's not really a problem with RSS feeds.

By the way, rubah, have you tried using an RSS client like Thunderbird? It's much more convenient than using LJ. Plus, it keeps your friends page clean.

No roto, and I don't want to really. That would be a separate thing to check. I use livejournal because I look at it all the time. If I used something else for RSS, at this point I'd probably forget to read livejournal 8)

Tallulah
01-19-2008, 09:28 PM
I just have one for BBC news.

It's terrible, though... :eep:

Heath
01-19-2008, 09:58 PM
I really like the BBC one. I find it to be really useful for checking up on the news when I get up of a morning, for instance. I have the BBC news one as well as the BBC On This Day feed which gives a selection of 4+ famous news events that have occurred on that day during the 20th/21st century. Also got the SSB:B one so that I don't forget to check the website.

scrumpleberry
01-19-2008, 10:06 PM
I omly found out about them a while back by clicking on it by accident XD

I might play with it a bit. Dunno.

Big D
01-19-2008, 10:57 PM
I get LiveJournal feeds for i can has cheezburger, EoFF news, and Astronomy Picture of the Day.

Very handy way to keep up-to-date on important stuff. Pity about the brainless attention-mongers who think they're doing something special by spamming the same nonsense comment into every post, though.

rubah
01-20-2008, 04:10 AM
oh yeah, I forgot about apod:D Did it bother you when they switched to the new thumbnail layout, dee-man? I don't know whether it's worth clicking to see the picture now:(

Big D
01-20-2008, 05:08 AM
I preferred it the way it was before. I already had to click for the picture, since my f-list just has an icon in the place of images, but now it's two clicks instead.
No matter, it's just an extra second or two.

rubah
01-20-2008, 08:40 AM
I mostly subscribed to it to get the pretty pictures ;o but I can't tell if they're pretty or not until I click, so usually I don't xD

I added a new comic to the feed today. I probably should add the other comics I read since I have been very bad about checking them since starting school, but then I'd probably read them in le mauvais ordre, so that would be bad :(

The Devil
01-21-2008, 05:15 AM
I have far too much patience to need such pointless gimmicks, fools!