PDA

View Full Version : What I like about the FF series (although it makes some of the fans anoying...)

MJN SEIFER
01-18-2008, 10:38 PM
SPOILERS

Is that there are often things that aren't said outright but are hinted to. Also, certain things are foreshadowed, but not directly. One example could be NORG in FFVIII a lot of people think that the part where he takes over the garden is the first time he's ever been mentioned, it's not. He is mentioned on a page in the computer in the classroom right at the start of game (the actual page escapes me but it's there.) Similar we had Necron in FFIX, people think he just came out of nowhere with out any explanation - again it has been hinted that he exists.

Two of my favourites (as most of you have probably noticed) are both in FFVIII, the orphanage scene, and Squall's change in personality.

The fact that the team all knew each other (as well as Seifer and Edea) as kids (Edea was an adult) is hinted within the game, just very subtly. I shall either list them here or in a separate post. I am stopping here because I am tired, but I wanted to get this thread started.

cloud21zidane16
01-19-2008, 12:20 AM
Some good points, i like it when you find infomation in an FF that youve never seen before, especially at the computer on VIII, theres some interesting facts on there:)

Ashley Schovitz
01-19-2008, 01:47 AM
necron mentioned in IX I've played through it 11 times and I still see no mention of him.

Serapy
01-19-2008, 04:03 AM
FF8, Ulti made the party members forget each other, then they have managed to remember each other in the middle of the game. Impressive, even better when Rinoa didn't take a role in that discussion because again she's a witch and on the verge of becoming Ulti.

MJN SEIFER
01-19-2008, 11:10 PM
It is stated the GFs did that.

Necronopticous
01-19-2008, 11:23 PM
The problem with Necron in Final Fantasy IX and the orphanage "revelation" in Final Fantasy VIII is not that they lack allusion, but that they are asinine and unnecessary elements thrown into otherwise perfectly stable running stories.

I, personally, don't consider these elements to be the game ruiners that many like to make them out to be, but I certainly understand that the games would be stronger and more focused without them.

XxSephirothxX
01-19-2008, 11:27 PM
Necron was kind of silly, but at least it was just thrown in at the end of the game and had little impact on the overall plotline, character development, or ending. I found the orphanage in FFVIII to be absolutely fucking dreadful because it was an absolute key element of the story and the way the characters interacted. Stupid, stupid stupid.

MJN SEIFER
01-20-2008, 12:21 AM
We all have our own opinions but I stand to mine that the orphanage scene was one of the BEST moments of a FF game ever - but that's me.

Bolivar
01-22-2008, 09:39 PM
I like always finding out new information you missed, there's definately alot on the computers and Information part of the menu in FFVIII, the bestiary in XII is always being expanded as you play. There's still alot in terms of sidequests in some of the newer games i haven't seen.

Vivisteiner
01-22-2008, 10:27 PM
I dislike the FFVIII thing, but I just ignored it and it didnt really bother me.

I loved the idea of Necron in FFIX, I just wish it had had some tangible foreshadowing.

Takara
01-23-2008, 01:32 AM
I like that you can actually damage Rinoa in the Adel fight, even though killing her will give you the game over screen. :)

Fynn
01-23-2008, 09:52 PM
I remember when I was playing FFXII once, scrolling through the bestiary pages and then they mentioned something about the Gran Grimoire shaping the world. And the I thought, what if the Ivalice from FFXII was made by Mewt from FFTA and then, when he left it, that world lived on? Yeah, I love this aspect of FF, especially in the Ivalice Alliance.

Wolf Kanno
01-25-2008, 03:47 AM
Tidus being a dream still bothers me cause overall I still don't see the point in the plot twist except to make up some asinine reason why he'll die instead of Yuna but if you are like me and recognized X for the big book of story cliches that it is. You would have figured out a few minutes in that Tidus was going to die. Oddlly enough, him being a dream was the only real surprise plot twist in the game for me and I hate it cause it serves no logical purpose and only complicates the natural laws of the X world which make no sense to begin with...

The Orphanage scene was poorly executed just because it was like:
Irvine: Gee willigers! We all grew up together! The GF took ur memories
Rest of Party: wide-eyed and cue soap opera organ music
...a moment of silence passes...
Zell: So about those hot dogs...

...and everyone moves on like it was no big deal. Personally the idea of ur party sacrificing their memories to gain power was an interesting idea, but like most things in VIII the team dropped the ball...:mad: Had it been expanded on it could have been a really powerful tool for drama later on.

Necron was forshadowed, just poorly as I constantly get into fights with people about whether some of the references meant Alexander instead...