PDA

View Full Version : Need some anime help plz...

Auragaea
01-19-2008, 03:33 AM
For a good while now, I haven't watched any anime, but now, I feel like watching some. However, I'm very particular when it comes to the type of anime I like, so if you anime lovers could help me find an anime to fit my likings, I'd greatly appreciate it.

First off, I really hate bloody and gory animes. I can't watch Elfen Lied, for example, and I couldn't finish Hellsing because they were just too violent for me. I also don't like animes that have a very serious, very depressing, or very analytical storylines. I tried watching FMA and Neon Genesis Evangelion because they started off light hearted, but then they quickly became too depressing for me to watch. Romantic/"girly" animes are also out of the question for me, such as Fruit Baskets or Chobits. I also don't want to watch any anime that has over 13 episodes because anymore feels like a waste of time. The only time I think I could go over 13 is if the anime is REALLY, REALLY, GOOD.

Other than those, some other animes I don't like are One Piece, Naruto, Bleach, Gungrave, Lucky Star, Haruri Suzumiya (I believe that's how you spell it) and Death Note. However, Lucky Star and Haruri had pretty enjoyble intros.

From the animes I have watched (movies and series), I really enjoyed Record of Lodoss War, Read or Die, Paranoia Agent, Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex, and most of Miyazaki's movies. Samurai Champloo looked promising, but I only watched the first episode, then stopped because it seemed that it would get too violent for my liking.

Currently, I'm planning to watch Haibane Renmei because it looks like it has a nice storyline and little violence. I also heard the soundtrack and the music is really nice so I'm more compelled to watch it.

So, from all that I've said and listed, I hope that some of you will be able to help me find some anime I would enjoy.

qwertysaur
01-19-2008, 03:44 AM
Some anime I recomend are Katekyo Hitman Reborn! and Kekkaishi. Also I recommend full metal panic: fumoffu! but you may not understand it unless you watch the first season.

Vermachtnis
01-19-2008, 03:58 AM
Some anime I recomend are Katekyo Hitman Reborn! and Kekkaishi. Also I recommend full metal panic: fumoffu! but you may not understand it unless you watch the first season.

The first season of Full Metal Panic doesn't get any worse than Ghost in the Shell and you said you liked that. It's over 13 episodes, but I think it is really, really, good. However, The Second Raid may be too violent for your likings (it was almost too violent for me).

Fumoffu is a must watch though!

Marshall Banana
01-19-2008, 03:59 AM
Moyashimon is very funny and cute, and it's not violent or romantic (so far, at least).

<ul style="list-style-image: url(http://www.JEREMYTIME/mondatime/strawberry.gif)"><li><a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qv1hfH3xiwg" target="_blank">Here are the first seven minutes of episode one.</a></li><li><a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DO0XwBJB-gY" target="_blank">Here is Microbe Theater in episode two.</a></li></ul>

Momiji
01-19-2008, 04:15 AM
Well, you seem to hate all of my favorites...

What about Azumanga Daioh? Just because the main characters are girls doesn't make it a girly anime.

Other than that, I don't know what else to mention.

Azure Chrysanthemum
01-19-2008, 04:39 AM
Your list is very limiting. However, I can still at least suggest Genshiken, which is a work of art and also hilarious.

You said you might watch something over 13 episodes if it was REALLY REALLY good. Thus, I suggest Tengen Toppa Gurren-Lagann. Seriously. Watch it.

The Unknown Guru
01-19-2008, 07:50 AM
Going on your limitations, I would recommend Fooly Cooly. It's light-hearted but kind of deep at the same time, and there are only 6 episodes. However, it's really bizarre (REALLY bizarre), so if you can't tolerate that, then don't even try.

Also, Cowboy Bebop fits most of your criteria. That changes at the end a bit, but by then, you'll be way too far into it to stop watching.

NeoCracker
01-19-2008, 08:05 AM
All anime fans should watch Cowboy Bebop.

I don't care what you like, you should watch it.

Even if you've already seen it, go see it again.

And don't forget the Movie either.

Breine
01-19-2008, 10:11 AM
Anything released by Studio Ghibli (e.g. Hayao Miyazaki) is a great way to go. Especially Miyazaki's movies are amazing, and they're currently being re-released all over the world, so they shouldn't be too hard to get a hold of.

Auragaea
01-19-2008, 05:27 PM
I've actually watched Azumanga Daioh, Fooly Cooly, Full Metal Panic, and Cowboy Bebop and from those, I only liked FLCL and Cowboy Bebop. Azumanga Daioh and Full Metal Panic weren't very entertaining to me.

I went ahead and did some research on the animes you guys listed and from what y'all mentioned, Tengen Toppa Gurren-Lagann seems the most interesting. I've actually heard about it before and it seems kinda like BoF: DQ, so I think I may like it. Katekyo Hitman Reborn! also seems to have a unique and quirky storyline, but 69 episodes is way too much for me. I'll watch a few episodes though and see whether I'll want to continue watching it or not. Keikkaishi and Genshiken don't really seem like they'll appeal to me, but I'll try them out.

And thank you Marshall banana!! I watched the first episode of Moyashimon and I really liked it! It's also only has 11 episodes so I can watch all of them in one sitting :) I'll watch it after I'm done with Haibane Renmei. Thanks for all your help guys!

Vermachtnis
01-19-2008, 06:17 PM
You didn't like Azumanga Daioh!? That's unpossible!

Madame Adequate
01-19-2008, 07:35 PM
It is impossible to suggest what someone will like if they don't like Azumanga. Thread is either elaborate trolling or impossible for me to answer.

JKTrix
01-21-2008, 01:15 PM
Tengen Toppa Gurren-Lagann...seems kinda like BoF: DQ...

http://img169.imageshack.us/img169/893/bof5ryu11pk5.jpghttp://img169.imageshack.us/img169/6462/anahorisimonos5.jpg

The comparison has been made. I would think the similarities end there. It's much closer to FLCL (which was made by the same people).

If you liked Ghost in the Shell and the Miyazaki movies, I would highly recommend Dennou Coil (though I would highly recommend it regardless). It's an excellent show, and the comparison will make more sense once you start watching it. Your patience will be rewarded.

Baccano! is areally good short series as well, though if you really don't like gore it might put you off. The times when it gets gorey are seldom, but it's pretty random when it happens.

Moyashimon is a safe recommendation as well. It's nothing spectacular like Gurren-Lagann and Dennou Coil, but it's different and deceptively educational. The block of TV that Moyashimon comes from (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noitamina) is one that seems to be dedicated to expanding anime beyond the average 'young boy' demographic. I'm currently watching Hakaba Kitaro by them, and it's great.

Peegee
01-21-2008, 07:21 PM
OP is obligated by anime law to watch Akira (mild violence) , Macross Plus/Zero, Gundam series, and other such anime from that era.

crono_logical
01-21-2008, 07:33 PM
If you liked Ghost in the Shell and the Miyazaki movies, I would highly recommend Dennou Coil (though I would highly recommend it regardless). It's an excellent show, and the comparison will make more sense once you start watching it. Your patience will be rewarded.I just finished that one yesterday, definitely well worth it if you can follow the story :p Get hold of the HD version too if you can, the quality of the animation and some of the unique effects deserve it :p

Shoeberto
01-21-2008, 07:56 PM
OP is obligated by anime law to watch Akira (mild violence) , Macross Plus/Zero, Gundam series, and other such anime from that era.
Mild violence in Akira? PG needs to lay off the crackpipe more often. If he thought Samurai Champloo would be too violent for him then Akira is out of the question.

Dragoon Kain
01-22-2008, 01:12 AM
I'm not the biggest anime nut in the world, but I happen to LOVE Rurouni Kenshin. It doesn't fit your episode criteria, but it was an awesome anime. It's not violent at all. The main character actually promotes not killing. Well I dunno how it is later in the series, but atleast in the beginning. Absolutely spectacular. Give it a shot.

Case Closed AKA Detective Conan is also amazing. Also doesn't fit your episode criteria, but it is a very fun show. It's best watching them in order, but if you don't you won't miss out on much. It does have its plot, but most of it is solving mysteries. The Scooby Doo of animes. Highly recommend it.

Trigun is also another favorite of mine. Only 26 episodes too. Which is double what you want, but a lot less than my previous two mentions. Vash the Stampede is just too likeable of a character. I haven't seen the whole serious, but overall it wasn't very violent. LOVE AND PEACE! LOVE AND PEACE! Plus those sunglasses are sexy. Give it a try.

s-CRY-ed was also very neat. Although it might be a little violent. No blood bath gore or anything (that I remember), but there is a deal of fighting. Also only 26 episodes. I really liked what I saw. You might too. Who knows?

Lupin the Third is a very quirky, yet humorous show. It's more light hearted and comical more than anything, but it can have its moments. I got a chuckle out of every episode. Also short with only 23 episodes. Just an overall great, crazy anime. Although, it is definitely an old one. It's amazing!

Cowboy Bebop has already been mentioned, but it is a great show.

I feel like I'm forgetting some. If I think of them. I'll post. All of the shows I mentioned are absolutely amazing animes. At least watch an episode or two of them. I bet you'll be hooked.

Oh and shame on you for not liking Death Note. I love that series!!!

Namelessfengir
01-22-2008, 01:58 AM
from what you've said i can drop out a few titles.

outlaw star (same air dates and company as cowboy bebop)
love hina
id recommend escaflowne but it get depessing as hell 2/3rd's of the way through (plus the end sucks)
ikki tousen is good

Momiji
01-22-2008, 02:55 AM
Case Closed AKA Detective Conan is also amazing. Also doesn't fit your episode criteria, but it is a very fun show. It's best watching them in order, but if you don't you won't miss out on much. It does have its plot, but most of it is solving mysteries. The Scooby Doo of animes. Highly recommend it.

I forgot about Case Closed! That's a good one too. Comparing it to Scooby-Doo is just wrong though, because Case Closed is actually, you know, good.

Also, if you're still looking, I'd also suggest Angelic Layer.

Dragoon Kain
01-22-2008, 05:19 AM
Haha. Scooby Doo is there just for the mystery solving. Case Closed is a million times better and more thought provoking than Scooby Doo could ever hope to be. Scooby's mysteries were easy to solve. Case Closed is a different story. Plus Conan is a total bad ass. Watch it now. I command you.

The Summoner of Leviathan
01-22-2008, 06:49 AM
Hmmm...

Perhaps Shounen Onmyouji? It is 26 episodes, set in Heian Japan. It is pretty cool. Not a lot of violence, a bit of blood and has a pretty good plot.

Mushishi is also a good series. Nice music and a pretty interesting story, if you can call it that. Each episode is unrelated, with few recurring characters. The only real constant between each episode is Ginko (the main character) and the mushi. Otherwise pretty good.

NeoCracker
01-22-2008, 08:38 AM
I told you already, Watch Bebop again.

And yes, take Kains suggestion on S-cry-ed though just skip the last two episodes.

I found it to be a horrid way to end it.

I mean the main story is over on 24, the last two episodes were lame and entirely unnesscesary.

Though the rest of it is pretty kick ass.

JKTrix
01-22-2008, 12:54 PM
Well, if you decide to watch any of these other tepid action shows, save Gurren-Lagann 'til later.

Because Gurren-Lagann will destroy your desire to watch any of them. The bar is set really high, people.

Armisael
01-24-2008, 09:57 PM
I would recommend X TV though it has some bloody scenes --nothing too much though-- and there's another one but it has a lot of episodes, though it is considered one of the best out there: Monster. It's a great psychological thriller.

Rye
01-24-2008, 11:55 PM
Everyone anime that I was just going to recommend (Lucky Star, Azumanga Daioh) are ones you dislike. Dang. xD

DK
01-25-2008, 12:07 AM
Tengen Toppa is indeed epic. Soundtrack is awesome, too.

Little Al
01-26-2008, 11:44 PM
:confused: Ohh gee I don't know. I'm not the biggest anime fan in the world either. Have you tried Serial Experiments Lain? (it is pretty deep, and in some points, good on the suspense meter). Another one I can reccomend is Osamu Tezuka's: Metropolis. (It has its share of lightheartedness, but it also has some suspenseful points as well.) Neither of them are too violent. (At least in my opinion.) I hope my info helps! ;)

Vermachtnis
01-27-2008, 12:00 AM
Metropolis, now there's a movie I haven't seen in far to long. It is a really great movie. I really love the art style.

Dragoon Kain
01-27-2008, 03:07 AM
OH!
I forgot Shin Chan!!!
If that even counts as an anime haha.
It is absolutely incredible though.
Funniest show I have ever seen in my life.
If you haven't seen it; do it now!

JKTrix
01-28-2008, 12:45 PM
Yeah, the Shin-Chan that comes on Cartoon Network is surprisingly excellent, if you're into that humour style. One of the small handful of anime I'd recommend you watch in English. Since it's a very cultural kind of humour a lot of it would probably go over your head if you watched it in Japanese.

Dragoon Kain
01-29-2008, 04:23 AM
I don't like watching animes in Japanese. I hate subtitles. The English adaptations are usually just as good. There are some slight differences, but unless you're a die hard fanboy it won't even matter.

DK
01-29-2008, 06:04 AM
Nah, the voice acting in most dubs I've seen is horrific and totally ruins the thing. In fact If I'd have seen a couple of series in English before I'd seen the subbed versions I might have missed out on some quality series, because the voice acting was so bad I would never have bothered to watch the series.

Vermachtnis
01-29-2008, 06:24 AM
I dunno, I can take it either/or; however, given the choice I'll take Dub over Sub.

Ramza Beoulve
01-29-2008, 06:30 AM
Mushishi is also a good series. Nice music and a pretty interesting story, if you can call it that. Each episode is unrelated, with few recurring characters. The only real constant between each episode is Ginko (the main character) and the mushi. Otherwise pretty good.An excellent series indeed. I would also suggest (and actually, I'm very surprised it hasn't been mentioned until now) Gankutsuou. It's 24 chapters long, but each one deserves being seen. It has a great story (Count of Montecristo, how can't that be great?), great music and great characters. From the beginning the animation maybe could throw you off (not a really common style of animation), but later on it only gets better. It's a must see.

escobert
01-29-2008, 07:18 AM
the .HACK series might be good for you. they can be a bit slow at times but they're wonderful. I also enjoyed Outlaw Star alot. Dunno if that would be too violent for you.

MistaCloudStrife
01-29-2008, 08:27 AM
Hmm. Linking to another site is allowed, correct?

Here's my anime list.

MistaCloudStrife's Anime List - MyAnimeList.net (http://myanimelist.net/animelist/MistaCloudStrife)

I don't know every single anime you've seen, and my list of good animes would take me too long to post in this thread. So thus, my list. Just look at my ratings and you'll see which ones I thought were good. If you're interested click the name of the anime and it'll lead to all sorts of information you'd want about it.

Anymore information you need, and you can ask me. I'll probably remember the basics of each anime.

JKTrix
01-29-2008, 12:50 PM
Some of the higher profile (and often subsequently better) shows have some really good voice acting. Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex is one that comes to mind. The Japanese acting is excellent, but the very fact that they talk so much may make it hard on the eyes when you read the subs. The English dub for it (which I saw first anyway) is one of the best I've heard.

Some shows' original voice material is so much a part of its definition that no matter how good the dub is, it won't do it proper justice. Haruhi Suzumiya's English cast does an outstanding job for the majority of the time, but the original performances of the two main characters is a large part of what makes the show. Gurren-Lagann is another show where there are a few performances that will be impossible to match.

Most shows I've seen from the last few years that I've bought on DVD didn't have any particularly excellent Japanese acting that made me prefer it unconditionally over the English dub. For Gankutsuou in particular (which is one of my top anime (jktrix.myanimelist.net/)), save for Jouji Nakata's 'Count', I find the English cast to actually perform better.

Then again, I tend to skew away from simpler, younger-oriented fare like Naruto, so I don't get exposed to much of the type of dub that attracts.

My recommendations in this thread are leaned more to the 'fresh out of Japan' side, which makes it easier for me to choose from instead of all the stuff I've ever seen. So, Gurren-Lagann, Dennou Coil still have my vote. Would be nice if Auragaea would come back and tell us what was seen.

Little Al
01-29-2008, 10:02 PM
I dunno, I can take it either/or; however, given the choice I'll take Dub over Sub.

Most likely due to that language barrier thing, huh?

Dragoon Kain
01-30-2008, 02:57 AM
Nah, the voice acting in most dubs I've seen is horrific and totally ruins the thing. In fact If I'd have seen a couple of series in English before I'd seen the subbed versions I might have missed out on some quality series, because the voice acting was so bad I would never have bothered to watch the series.

Well I don't really watch any animes that don't appear on Cartoon Network. I told you I'm not the biggest fan boy heh. The ones they show the voice acting is all really good. What series comes to mind for bad voice acting for you?

MistaCloudStrife
01-30-2008, 05:57 AM

Well I don't really watch any animes that don't appear on Cartoon Network. I told you I'm not the biggest fan boy heh. The ones they show the voice acting is all really good. What series comes to mind for bad voice acting for you?

Check out One Piece. Not one of the worst, but it does mess up alot of the words and indications for parodies and etc.

It's not like I like listening to Japanese voices better, because really some voices can get on my nerves, but Japanese with subs will retain everything. For the most simple example, say a crow flies over the sky after someone does something stupid... in Japanese, the crow will say "Aho" which means idiot, whereas the crow in the english version would just say "caw"(or however a crow would sound). The english version negates that joke, as well as many other scenes that are required to understand in Japanese.

Another example would be something like Samurai Champloo. There's an episode where Americans play baseball with the main cast. In the Japanese version there's a scene where the Japanese cop tries to sneak into their ship disguised as an American sailor and gets caught. He then tries to speak English, but his words are all fucked... funny scene, but I can't imagine what they tried to do with the dubbed version AND still keep the comedy on par with the original version.

I DO think that some animes are better in English though. And those would be the animes that are based on western culture. Say, animes like Trigun, Cowboy Bebop, Full Metal Alchemist and etc... but just about anything revolving around Japanese or any Asian culture, I think is best left alone.

MKusanagi
01-30-2008, 11:31 PM
Ghost in the Shell. That is all I like. I'm not big into anime anymore.

Ishin Ookami
01-30-2008, 11:58 PM
Your list is very limiting. However, I can still at least suggest Genshiken, which is a work of art and also hilarious.

You said you might watch something over 13 episodes if it was REALLY REALLY good. Thus, I suggest Tengen Toppa Gurren-Lagann. Seriously. Watch it.

Sing it with me now...

"Do the impossible, see the invisible
ROH! ROH! FIGHT THE POWER!!
Touch the untouchable, Break the unbreakable
ROH! ROH! FIGHT THE POWER!!"

Yeah, liberali from hell is an awesome track.

I also would reccommend Gurren-Lagann, just one problem, it isn't available outside of Japan. YET! But it is highly reccommended as it has the awesomest mecha battle in the universe at the end of the series.

I would reccommend Great Teacher Onizuka. It's a fookin hilarious series, that sadly ended poorly, but for about forty epsodes it was absolutely awesome.

Rurouni Kenshin is another favorite of mine, and yet another series that ended poorly.

I would recommend going back to Samurai Champloo... it takes a while to get going, but it's really not that bloody... most of the time. Some episodes are worse than others.

Cowboy Bebop is a great anime as well, very recommended.

Trigun is also classic.

Vandread is also a decent anime series that has oodles of fan service, but still manages to dish out some very cool characters and an interesting sci fi plot.

Dragoon Kain
01-31-2008, 03:39 AM
MistaCloudStryfe,

I'll keep this simple. I hate One Piece anyways. I understand where you are coming from, but One Piece is garbage in every language you view it in.

MistaCloudStrife
01-31-2008, 04:33 AM
MistaCloudStryfe,

I'll keep this simple. I hate One Piece anyways. I understand where you are coming from, but One Piece is garbage in every language you view it in.

Yet, this argument is moot since I didn't say anything about if One Piece was good or not, I stated that the Japanese version is better. I merely listed a few animes and reasons that explain why some animes aren't all that great when dubbed.

Momiji
01-31-2008, 08:53 PM
MistaCloudStryfe,

Why the hell are you attacking his opinion? This isn't your thread, anyway.

I don't like One Piece either, but this is ridiculous.

Dragoon Kain
02-01-2008, 12:05 AM
I wasn't attacking his opinion. I understand what he was saying from his One Piece example. I said in my opinion One Piece is garbage. Notice the part where it says MY opinion...