PDA

View Full Version : Vagrant Story and Front Mission 3

Nifleheim7
01-21-2008, 12:36 AM
I'm thinking of buying these two games for PS and i was wondering what's your opinion about them.
I've been hearing lots of nice things about Vagrant story but not so much about Front Mission 3.Is the story related to previous Front Mission games?

Karellen
01-21-2008, 12:44 AM
Vagrant Story is awesome; one of the best games on the PS. Of course, you have to be willing to spend quite some time learning how the weapon customization system works to get any enjoyment out of it since otherwise you'll just end up running around doing 0 damage to everything. That tends to turn a lot of people off.

Never played the Front Mission series. I've heard that most of them are fairly solid though.

Nifleheim7
01-21-2008, 01:05 AM
Vagrant Story is awesome; one of the best games on the PS. Of course, you have to be willing to spend quite some time learning how the weapon customization system works to get any enjoyment out of it since otherwise you'll just end up running around doing 0 damage to everything. That tends to turn a lot of people off.

Cool!Lot's of people praise it also for it's story which is a good thing!
How many hours does it take to finish it(give or take)?

Karellen
01-21-2008, 01:43 AM
Around 30, from what I remember. I've heard people complete it in as little as 15 but I suspect they got that time during additional playthroughs.

I Am Stoner
01-21-2008, 01:56 AM
Front Mission 3 is well worth a buy. I love the original on the snes and to me the 3rd one on the PS is so much better. But then again, Ring Of Red for the PS2 is really good too.

But if u are looking to get FM3 then I advise you do

Necronopticous
01-21-2008, 02:13 AM
Vagrant Story is in my top three games of all time. It is an incredibly difficult game that requires a massive amount of patience and perseverance, but is really really worth all the time and effort you put into it. It's a beautiful game with an enchanting story and the best dialogue translation I have ever seen in a video game. Go out of your way to play it, and don't get discouraged by the difficulty.

Front Mission 3 is a game that would and could be great, but, in my eyes, overstays its welcome. It is an incredibly long game with what seems like hundreds of long strategy/tactics battles one after the other. I really got into it, but eventually it grew tiresome and I put it down. Front Mission 4 is the way to go, I think, if you're interested in the series. That game is fantastic, and has a perfect length.

Nifleheim7
01-21-2008, 02:31 AM
Ok,i'm very excited about Vagrant Story now!I think i have enough patience to go through a game like this if the story is intriguing enough.Which in the case of VS i think it is.
I don't think FM4 (PS2)was ever released in PAL territories,although i might get the US version of the first FM for DS.

Thanks for your opinions!:)

black orb
01-25-2008, 07:55 PM
>>> Buy Front mission 3..

Nifleheim7
01-25-2008, 09:24 PM
>>> Buy Front mission 3..

I will!:D
I've seen some gameplay videos on Youtube and it looks great!I'm not a very big fan of strategy games but the battlesystem of this one looks very interesting!
I also love Mechas and i hear that it has a good story as well!

Wolf Kanno
01-26-2008, 02:24 AM
Vagrant Story is a masterpiece and easily one the best stories in the Square library. Yes its difficult but its worth it.

FM3 is a good game, especially if you like SRPGs and mecha. The customization is amazing as well as the skill system. The story is good though I get a little irked cause I never felt it focused on what was really important...

Emma: We have to stop that powerful non-nuclear bomb from falling into the wrong hands!
Kazuki: But what about the fact that we uncovered all these genetic experiments being done on children to make super soldiers?
Emma: (slaps Kazuki) Moron! We're talking about a powerful non-nuclear bomb that might be used on civilians!
Kazuki: Uh... right... Who cares about amoral scientific experiments that make living weapons...

Also a tip... if you play Emma's story, at all costs capture the Zeroes...

Nifleheim7
01-26-2008, 11:47 AM
Emma: We have to stop that powerful non-nuclear bomb from falling into the wrong hands!
Kazuki: But what about the fact that we uncovered all these genetic experiments being done on children to make super soldiers?
Emma: (slaps Kazuki) Moron! We're talking about a powerful non-nuclear bomb that might be used on civilians!
Kazuki: Uh... right... Who cares about amoral scientific experiments that make living weapons...
Lol:D

Also a tip... if you play Emma's story, at all costs capture the Zeroes...
Ok...Thanks!

Caraliz
01-27-2008, 12:44 AM
front mission 3 is amazing. i should play it again after i am done with ffix. i have not heard good things about vagrant story, though.

Wolf Kanno
01-27-2008, 05:45 AM
front mission 3 is amazing. i should play it again after i am done with ffix. i have not heard good things about vagrant story, though.

The thing about Vagrant Story is that it gets nailed for is that:
A.) It lacks a tutorial but has a complex combat and blacksmithing system that technically require one (hint: look it up online, the manual is worthless)
B.) Is quite difficult and has a few nasty difficulty jumps (Hint: fear the Crimson Blades... especially end game...) and the puzzles are frustrating at times.
C.) The Risk system, a part of the combat system implemented to balance it out, frustrates most people. Even more annoying is that the game does not hand over useful items very easily so alot people tend to get stuck once they run out the item that lowers your risk rate.

Seriously, most people I know who hate the game only do it because they gave up out of frustration. Its not that difficult but it does require a bit more dedication than normal casual affairs. I've never really heard anyone say anything negative about its story though. Even the few people I know who dislike it admit the plot was amazing with what little they saw.

Karellen
01-27-2008, 07:13 AM
The biggest problem with Vagrant Story that I remember is how little indication that game gives you as to were to go next. Quite often you're given some key that opens up some door that was previously locked and it's up to you to work out exactly where it was an how to get to it. I have to give the game props for being a lot less linear then your average dungeon crawler but it would have been nice if more keys said "Opens the door in < insert specific location here >" rather then "Opens doors locked with a < insert color here > seal".

Necronopticous
01-27-2008, 08:51 AM
The biggest problem with Vagrant Story that I remember is how little indication that game gives you as to were to go next. Quite often you're given some key that opens up some door that was previously locked and it's up to you to work out exactly where it was an how to get to it. I have to give the game props for being a lot less linear then your average dungeon crawler but it would have been nice if more keys said "Opens the door in < insert specific location here >" rather then "Opens doors locked with a < insert color here > seal".That's what the map is for.

Karellen
01-27-2008, 02:16 PM
There's a map? Oh God, I'll never get all that time back.

Caraliz
01-28-2008, 04:11 AM
furthermore on the subject of front mission 3, i highly prefer it to front mission 4. front mission 4 was just irritating because you had to do a lot of training and get less and less experience for the same battles, and if you didn't level up properly, you'd get your ass kicked in missions.