PDA

View Full Version : Cycling

Rostum
01-21-2008, 09:43 PM
Does anyone go cycling? I am planning to start with my dad, as we want to get fit again (damn Christmas holiday chub!), but we're unsure of what kind of bike to get (we mainly just go to the gym and pool, but want to ride along the Yarra).

So, can anyone tell me what is a good bike? Or brand? How much would we have to spend? (I was looking at around 800-1,000AUD).

Any help would be appreciated.

Rye
01-21-2008, 09:44 PM
I used to ride my bike a lot, but I haven't in years. I should pick it up again though, it's great exercise, especially for your legs.

I'm afraid I can't help you with your bike issue though. =[

The Devil
01-21-2008, 09:48 PM
I'm rather partial to cycling myself but in my experience, if it has two wheels and suspension it'll be fine.

cloud21zidane16
01-21-2008, 10:01 PM
I used to cycle loads, i loved it!:) But i got older and everyone started cycling less and doing different things, now my bikes to small for me:(

Zeldy
01-21-2008, 10:06 PM
Cycling is okay, though I call it 'bike riding'. I usually go on bike rides with my friends in Summer, and we go to loads of different towns, it's fun. We went to the top of Billinge hill, which is the highest point of St Helens, it was great; I used to go there with my Dad when I was younger, I was always going on bike rides with my Dad and brother. Even before I was old enough to ride, my Dad had a tiny seat for me on his and I used to sit there and be all 'FASTER FASTER'~

smittenkitten
01-21-2008, 10:12 PM
The last time I was on a bike for was before I was 14 years old, so that was three years ago. If I was to ride one now I would probably fall off it or something. I like cycling though, I use to cycle everywhere when I was younger, in my black shorts and T-shirt. :)

Shauna
01-21-2008, 10:14 PM
I keep saying "I should go out on my bike more". Hasn't happened yet. :(

Tallulah
01-21-2008, 10:26 PM
My bike's front tyre is flat and the inner tube needs replacing. Need to get it fixed, really. :(

Jess
01-21-2008, 10:36 PM
I can't remember the last time I went out on a bike. Infact, I don't think I even have a bike anymore. :jess:

Shlup
01-21-2008, 10:41 PM
I liked it when I was a kid, but then I moved to a neighborhood on a steep hill so it became not really possible. Now I live in a bad neighborhood.

Rostum
01-21-2008, 10:51 PM
When I was little my friend and I used to live in the country (well, just outside of suburbia). We used to ride absolutely everywhere, those were incredible times!

Anyway, the main thing I was looking for were good brands and a little information on road bikes (or racing bikes, but more road bikes).

Riding adventures with friends when you're younger = the best.

Garnie
01-21-2008, 10:59 PM
Oh lulz! My first ever bike was a boys black BMX. The first time i ever ridden it properly i drove straight into a thorn bush. tee hee!

Flying Mullet
01-22-2008, 12:48 AM
I'm a cyclist and the best advice I can give you is go to several bike shops and talk to the sales people and mechanics. You'll learn which brands are best and a good shop will sell you what level of bike you need and not try to "upsell" you to a higher level, more expensive bike. If they won't listen to what you want and try to tell you what, you should look elsewhere.

snacks
01-22-2008, 12:59 AM
I use to bike alot more when I was younger, and even after I lost a ton of weight. It definitely is hard to get back into, a few times I went out and lost my breathe and came back feeling weak and sick.

It's definitely worth it in the long run. My calves are sick.

Calliope
01-22-2008, 06:46 AM
I liked it when I was a kid, but then I moved to a neighborhood on a steep hill so it became not really possible. Now I live in a bad neighborhood.

Amanda, can I borrow your bike? ;)

Get an Avanti or a Trek. My Trek is yellow and it has gripshift gears. Whee!

Big D
01-22-2008, 07:42 AM
I still regularly ride the Raleigh Santa Cruz I got back in 1996 for around $400. No suspension, no disc brakes - but a decent bike. 18 gears, though the front gear-changing bracket thing wore through last year, so I'm stuck with just the top 6 gears now.I was looking at around 800-1,000AUDThat seems quite a lot if you'll mainly be doing road riding. Sure you'd get a great bike for that price, but you could get something adequate for quite a lot less. But then, quality usually comes at a price, and in the end it's up to you.

Quindiana Jones
01-22-2008, 08:57 PM
I cycle, on roads. Yes, that means I wear sexy Lycra shorts. ;) I love cycling. Works the legs, and tones everything else due to bumpy roads and stuff. Bloody awesome.

I just roaded up my old Raleigh mountain bike. Changed the knobbly tires to slick ones (saves about 75% energy used I believe haha), cleaned up all the gear shifts and stuff. Set up a cadometer/speedometer, put on mudguards, and away!

So, really the brand has little to do with it if you're not using it for sport or competition purposes. If it's just fitness, you can just get a lil' cheapo one. Cost me about £100 total to get all my new stuff. Chances are it's less than that. Second-hand mountain bike maybe? That'll be nice and cheap.

Rostum
01-22-2008, 09:13 PM
Thanks for the advice guys, I appreciate it a lot. :) I will check out a few stores (except the one near me, because they were a bunch of cocky bastards).