PDA

View Full Version : Winamp is bloating Firefox somehow. :P

Roto13
01-22-2008, 03:36 AM
For some strange reason, when I use Winamp and Firefox at the same time, Firefox eventually starts using between 3 and 8 times as much memory. I have to restart Firefox for it to work correctly again. Any idea why this might be happening?

Serapy
01-22-2008, 10:43 AM
Do you have the same problem when you use IE (or Opera) and Winamp at the same time? If so, then it must be your Winamp, remove some plugins in Winamp that you don't need or re-install winamp. If the problem doesn't happen when you use IE or Opera+Winamp, then it must be your Firefox, re-install firefox and check the plugins in your Winamp.

o_O
01-22-2008, 10:52 AM
It doesn't seem to be a very widespread problem (if indeed spread at all :p). What extensions are you using? What version of Firefox?

Why not try different versions of Firefox - I'm actually using the beta of Firefox3 and I think it's great. <a href="http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/3.0b2/releasenotes/">Link</a>.

You could also try disabling your extensions one by one to see if the problem stops.

Baloki
01-22-2008, 10:59 AM
Firefox leaks memory like hell if certain other programs are running, it'll keep using more and more memory and not freeing it up after you close tabs until it crashes. The Beta for 3 is a bit better for not doing it as much, but it still has issues with the amount of memory it uses :/

Mirage
01-22-2008, 11:55 AM
I just installed the FF 3 beta now :o. It's got a few graphical... anomalies, but it seems to run okayish.

Roto13
01-22-2008, 03:15 PM
I'm using the most current version of Firefox 2. I've reinstalled it and Winamp. I've disabled all of my extensions and removed the ones that I don't really use and it does seem to work correctly if I do that. However, I don't WANT to use Firefox without the extensions. :P I can try disabling one extension at a time, but that'll take a while since Firefox can run for upwards of an hour before I realize there's anything wrong.

I refuse to use IE so I don't know if it has the same problem. xP I don't have Opera. Baloki says it's a Firefox problem anyway. :P So opening and closing a lot of tabs causes it?

EDIT: Will Firefox 3 work with my extensions? Specifically Adblock, IE Tab, DownloadHelper, DownloadThemAll, Fasterfox, McAfee Site Adviser, Tab Mix Plus and Stumble Upon?

Mirage
01-22-2008, 03:25 PM
Well, apparently it's a poorly coded plugin that's the problem then, and not Firefox itself.

To speed up the process of finding the exact plugin that's causing the problem, you could try disabling half of them, and if the problem is gone, then activate only the second half of them. Then repeat until there's just one plugin left :p.

Baloki
01-22-2008, 04:33 PM
I'm using the most current version of Firefox 2. I've reinstalled it and Winamp. I've disabled all of my extensions and removed the ones that I don't really use and it does seem to work correctly if I do that. However, I don't WANT to use Firefox without the extensions. :P I can try disabling one extension at a time, but that'll take a while since Firefox can run for upwards of an hour before I realize there's anything wrong.

I refuse to use IE so I don't know if it has the same problem. xP I don't have Opera. Baloki says it's a Firefox problem anyway. :P So opening and closing a lot of tabs causes it?

EDIT: Will Firefox 3 work with my extensions? Specifically Adblock, IE Tab, DownloadHelper, DownloadThemAll, Fasterfox, McAfee Site Adviser, Tab Mix Plus and Stumble Upon?

Opening alot of tabs will cause it as Firefox 2 has a habit of not freeing up the memory it uses for a new tab until the whole program is closed meaning you can quite quickly get into 100's of megs of memory usage if you use tabbed browsing alot. As for the extensions I know alot are updated, what I would recommend is to install the beta, run it once and see if it updates them all, if it doesn't just run the old FF2 program file from the Program Files folder. Just make sure you install the beta in a diff folder.

Well, apparently it's a poorly coded plugin that's the problem then, and not Firefox itself.

To speed up the process of finding the exact plugin that's causing the problem, you could try disabling half of them, and if the problem is gone, then activate only the second half of them. Then repeat until there's just one plugin left :p.

It'll be either Downloadthem all, IE Tab, Fasterfox or McAffee.

crono_logical
01-22-2008, 04:36 PM
You could also switch to foobar2000 whilst you're at it, so much nicer than winamp :D

rubah
01-22-2008, 04:38 PM
your extensions [probably] won't work with ff3. Like you can force them to work, but then ff3 refuses to start and you have to manually edit prefs files to make it start again:D

snacks
01-22-2008, 05:02 PM
I read something somewhere about the whole Firefox memory hog thing, if I could find the article it'd show you. It's not that it's hogging resources it's that what resources it uses up aren't being released properly or something like that.

Other then that I'd recommend Foobar. :joey:

Yamaneko
01-22-2008, 05:47 PM
You could also switch to foobar2000 whilst you're at it, so much nicer than winamp :D
v0.9.5 has a nice new ui too.

crono_logical
01-22-2008, 06:43 PM
But I just spent hours customising the UI in v0.9.4.5 :{ Not that I'm using the default one anyway, I'm using Columns UI :p

Mirage
01-22-2008, 07:24 PM
I didn't like foobar2000. What's supposed to make it so much nicer?

crono_logical
01-22-2008, 07:33 PM
functionality, flexibility and configurability, because of it's nice titlescript scripting support :p Go with Winamp though if looking at the media player is more important or you don't have time/effort to spend on programming foobar or customising it's looks :p

snacks
01-22-2008, 07:51 PM
I just cba'd and downloaded a preconfigured look.

More scripting work is SERIOUS BUSINESS.

Roto13
01-22-2008, 08:37 PM
Winamp plays music and doesn't eat up a bunch of memory. That's the only thing I care about. :P

Mirage
01-22-2008, 09:00 PM
functionality, flexibility and configurability, because of it's nice titlescript scripting support :p Go with Winamp though if looking at the media player is more important or you don't have time/effort to spend on programming foobar or customising it's looks :p

Please elaborate on functionality and flexibility.

o_O
01-22-2008, 09:21 PM
Foobar2000 is hands down the best audio player for any OS, which sucks because there is no Linux version and it's not stable under WINE. :{

It's functional because there basically exists a plugin for anything you could possibly want. From different UI engines to masstaggers to scrobblers to visualisations to plugins that watch your directories for file/folder updates. It's flexible because you can do anything you want to it. You can script crazy interfaces (like, real crazy :p) using PanelsUI, awesome interfaces using ColumnsUI and even with the DefaultUI. You can format text and put your own text anywhere you like in the program: If you don't like artist names, then you don't have to put artist names anywhere; you can specify your own ID3v2 metadata and use it in your formatting. You could have an ID3v2 tag called "SARS", and then use the data in that tag in your playlist in place of the artist name. With the correct extensions it supports any audio format under the Sun.

I could go on for years. :p

EDIT: Forgot the real purpose of the post. :p
It's probably Fasterfox. The only extensions I'd use are Adblock and IE Tab (but that's my preference). It could be McAfee Site Advisor if it's accessing some large definitions file for every tab or something (which I wouldn't put past McAfee). :p Your extensions likely won't work out of the box with Firefox3, though some do.

Serapy
01-23-2008, 06:31 PM
I use Opera, it uses less memory and it seems better :P Try using Opera with Winamp?

rubah
01-23-2008, 10:07 PM
winamp always used a bunch (17mb?) of memory for me, but I did use winamp3 afterall.

Roto13
01-24-2008, 03:28 PM
I think I figured out what extension is causing the problem. I have (or had) a Winamp toolbar in Firefox that I never really used. xP I uninstalled it yesterday and Firefox behaved itself last night.

Hooray!

o_O
01-24-2008, 08:56 PM
winamp always used a bunch (17mb?) of memory for me, but I did use winamp3 afterall.

Allie, why would you do this? :ma<b></b>d2

rubah
01-24-2008, 10:30 PM
because I had to have my multiple playlists in the playlist selector.

Baloki
01-25-2008, 10:29 AM
*does things to Aliie?*

crono_logical
01-25-2008, 10:43 AM
foobar2000 does multiple playlists :p Winamp3 is the most evil version of winamp there is, either go to 5, or back to 2.91 if you want to use less memory :p

rubah
01-25-2008, 04:50 PM
it's cool, I use itunes now ;)

Yamaneko
01-25-2008, 07:13 PM
And you're complaining about high memory usage?

Roto13
01-25-2008, 08:09 PM
iTunes is the devil. I won't even use it to put music on my iPod.

rubah
01-25-2008, 10:06 PM
I wasn't complaining, infact I was using it inspite of >:[
I've got 4x the ram now and am using the native operating system, so it's not nearly as laggy as it was in windows xD