PDA

View Full Version : Baccano!

Azure Chrysanthemum
01-22-2008, 08:30 AM
My suitemate just ran a marathon of the anime series Baccano!, the title of which is the Italian word for "ruckus."

Let me state two things right off: the title is appropriate, and this series is amazing.

Baccano! is classified by anime news network (http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=7492) as "Adventure, Comedy, Fantasy, Historical, Horror, Shounen." I'd be willing to say that Comedy, Adventure and Horror are the three main aspects of this series.

I will say going into this review that while I did watch basically the entire series today in one sitting, I have NOT seen the first episode which is, as I understand, extremely confusing and 4th wall breaking. I realize that if this is the optimal way to watch the series, it is definitely not the best of design choices, but even so I think we can forgive it. I'll write more about that episode if I get around to watching it.

Anyway, Baccano.

Baccano follows three separate story arcs simultaneously (1930, 1931, and 1932), constantly jumping between them in a way that can be rather confusing, but eventually begins to make sense as all the threads come together. Not only does the story jump between the three arcs, it also jumps between different points in the arc, occasionally repeating the same sequence and showing what happened to some of the other characters when character paths diverge.

This creates an atmosphere of sheer chaos, further emphasized by the main arc, which is what starts out as a 4-way battle between various forces to take over a train, hold people hostage, kill people, etc. etc..

The story constantly shifts points of view. While this may sound irritating, it actually is executed quite well and generally aids the feel of sheer chaos that Baccano! so masterfully accomplishes.

I won't go into the gritty details of the story, but the show has a lot going for it. The art is crisp, the characters are great (especially Isaac and Miria, who are hilariously detached from reality and just make the show), the plot is interesting with its supernatural references, there are a lot of strong scenes, and the flow, while heavily disjointed, just feels RIGHT.

I do warn that this series is surprisingly gruesome. Nothing to the level of say, Higurashi no Naku Koro ni, but it has some scenes that many might find distasteful, such as lots of blood and blood-covered corpses, hands being held against the rails of a moving rail car, where they are broken apart, general mutilations and stabbing, and lot of shooting.

It's not terrible if you're used to this kind of thing, but those who dislike heavy gore should probably stay away, there's quite a bit of it.

JKTrix
01-22-2008, 01:03 PM
It deserves special mention that the core of the show centers around the maiden voyage of a train called "The Flying Pussyfoot."

I actually mentioned this (http://forums.eyesonff.com/lounge/113980-need-some-anime-help-plz.html#post2405224) in the last 2 anime threads (http://forums.eyesonff.com/lounge/113438-your-top-5-favorite-least-favorite-anime-series.html#post2391739) I posted in :PThe gore was definitely surprising, especially the brutality of it all. One of the opening scenes of the first episode is the part where Ladd shoots Czes. And then in the next scene you have the antics of Isaac and Miria (they were actually in all of the timelines...except the one that took place in the past). Definitely a delightfully random show.

It takes Haruhi Suzumiya's gimmick and amplifies it (where Suzumiya time-jumped around every episode, this show jumps around every 2 minutes), while actually utilizing this irregular perspective to add additional layers to the plot. Things often happen in the future that foreshadow what happened in the past. Some characters only show up briefly (most noticeably in the first episode) and never appear again.

Like most good non-original anime these days, Baccano! is actually based off a series of books (they call 'em Light Novels in Japan). As such, there is a *lot* more material that continuing seasons of the anime could cover if they ever got around to it. Some of the characters who appear briefly are likely from some of the later books. I believe there are a few OVA episodes coming with the DVD releases of this show in Japan.

Of the oodles of characters, my favourites were Isaac/Miria and Jacuzzi. Jacuzzi & Nice's relationship was quite charming. What were some of your favourite characters/moments Void?

Last year was a really, really good year for anime. This year, too much moe.

Azure Chrysanthemum
01-22-2008, 05:21 PM
Isaac and Miria had me laughing pretty much whenever they were on screen, they were just so bizarre and funny. My roommate kept shouting "HOW DO THEY KEEP GETTING AWAY WITH THIS STUFF!?" I'm really not kidding when I say they're one of the major reasons the show works.

I was actually surprised by Jacuzzi, I was thinking he'd end up being somewhat irritating with the constant crying, but the development with that part was actually really well done. Especially since I'm still a sucker for the wimpy little guy rising to the occasion and piercing the heavens.

The bit with Czes was also really interesting with how he acted and why, I thought that was handled well.

Tasura
01-22-2008, 06:30 PM
I started watching this series as it was airing, then it got lost in the seasonal shuffle, I'll probably finish it next, in between stints of Fushigi Yuugi.

JKTrix
07-22-2008, 02:26 PM
MEGA bump.

Baccano! just got licensed.
Baccano! - Anime Website from FUNimation (http://funimation.com/baccano/)

If you know the password (hint: the name of a train) you can watch the first episode on that site. The name of 'the train' is already in this thread.

Momiji
07-22-2008, 03:47 PM
I would have mentioned the licensing if I hadn't felt like Void would do it himself. I already mentioned this to Tavrobel, however.

I myself haven't seen it yet, but it's on my list of things to watch.