PDA

View Full Version : Academy Awards Nominations Announced

Breine
01-22-2008, 03:12 PM
Click here (http://www.imdb.com/features/rto/2008/oscars) to check it out.

So, what are your thoughts?

XxSephirothxX
01-22-2008, 04:26 PM
I suppose I usually forget the nominations, but it doesn't seem to be a very broad scope this year. Maybe it's not much different than normal. Either way, the absence of American Gangster as a Best Picture nominee is a little disappointing. I think it was overall as good a film as Michael Clayton and Juno.

Loony BoB
01-22-2008, 04:42 PM
This is just one big fat reminder that I should have seen more movies in the past year. :(

Yamaneko
01-22-2008, 05:53 PM
If There Will Be Blood doesn't win everything it's nominated for I will be pissed. In particular though, Daniel Day-Lewis HAS to win Best Actor. The guy played the best on-screen performance of this decade.

Breine
01-22-2008, 06:08 PM
This is just one big fat reminder that I should have seen more movies in the past year. :(

Yeah, me too. It's like that almost every year. To my advantage many of the highly praised movies that are also nominated (e.g. Atonement, There Will Be Blood, No Country For Old Men, Juno etc.) have not been released in Denmark yet.. So, I'll definitely try my best to see them when they're released.

Anyway, on the whole I'm pretty satisfied with the nominations this year, although I was a bit disappointed that Keira Knightly wasn't nominated for Best Actress. But then again, Julie Christy or Ellen Page are probably going to take that one home.

Kossage
01-22-2008, 07:31 PM

Indeed, me too.

As for the nominations, I'll just mention a couple that caught my eye. I do think Amy Adams should've deserved to get into the Best Performance by an Actress in a Leading Role category. However, I'm extremely surprised to see so many songs from Enchanted being nominated, and I hope to see one of the songs from that film win. Also, seeing Giacchino's "Ratatouille" score nominated for Best Original Score was another pleasant surprise, although I think something like "Atonement" or "The Kite Runner" will win in the end. I wouldn't mind seeing Giacchino win, though, because his work has generally been quite consistent. We'll see how things turn out. :)

Burtsplurt
01-22-2008, 07:44 PM
Apart from the absence of Amy Adams, I think it's a pretty decent line-up. I've not seen There Will Be Blood, No Country for Old Men or Juno yet, largely because they haven't been released/ are only just out.

Michael Clayton seems to have featured heavily. Was it that good of a film? I remember hearing positive reviews, but nothing extraordinary.

I'm sad that Amy Adams didn't get nominated for Enchanted. I thought she was fantastic.

The Devil
01-22-2008, 08:03 PM
Do you think I care about your petty accomplishments?

The films down here are SO much better.

El Bandito
01-22-2008, 08:57 PM
Daniel Day-Lewis and Javier Bardem should easily win the actor categories.

Also, Ratatouille nominated for Best Original Screenplay? Man, Pixar/Brad Bird have come a long way.

charliepanayi
01-22-2008, 09:00 PM
Weren't Toy Story, Toy Story 2 and The Incredibles all nominated for Best Original Screenplay as well? Pixar always do great scripts, this nomination for Ratatouille is also well dseserved.

I think Javier Bardem and Daniel Day-Lewis are both strong favourites. Best Film...I'll say it will be No Country For Old Men or Michael Clayton. And The Coen Brothers winning Best Director. And Julie Christie to win Best Actress.

El Bandito
01-22-2008, 09:08 PM
Weren't Toy Story, Toy Story 2 and The Incredibles all nominated for Best Original Screenplay as well? Pixar always do great scripts, this nomination for Ratatouille is also well dseserved.

Hmm, well I don't really remember nominations as much as I do winners, so if they were nominated before I can't remember. Definitely agree that it's deserved though.

charliepanayi
01-22-2008, 09:14 PM

Hmm, well I don't really remember nominations as much as I do winners, so if they were nominated before I can't remember. Definitely agree that it's deserved though.

The Oscars are happy to nominate animated films, they just can't bring themselves to give them an award unless they can make a separate category just for them ;) - but yeah all those were nominated I'm almost certain.

The Unknown Guru
01-22-2008, 11:57 PM
Well, Javier Bardem was really, really good in NCfOM, and I would like Juno to win at least one award.

Also, It would be really, really funny to see Norbit win an award.

Calliope
01-23-2008, 07:16 AM
I'm a little worried that Sweeny Todd is there, but I Am Legend is not.

Miriel
01-23-2008, 06:43 PM
I really wanted James McAvoy to be in there in the Best Actor category. Atonement is up there for best picture, but if it wasn't for McAvoy, that movie would have been so freakin' blah.

Anyway, how it's probably gonna go down:

Best Picture
No Country for Old Men vs. There Will Be Blood

Best Actor
Daniel Day-Lewis vs. Viggo Mortensen

Best Actress
Marion Cotillard vs. Julie Christie (although, I'm willing to bet a hefty sum of money that Marion has this LOCKED DOWN)

Supporting Actor
Javier Bardem vs. Casey Affleck

Supporting Actress
Cate Blanchett vs. Amy Ryan

Best Director
Coen Brothers vs. Paul Thomas Anderson

XxSephirothxX
01-23-2008, 07:00 PM
No Original Score nomination for Juno!? AUGH!

I don't think collections of pop music count for Original Scores.

edczxcvbnm
01-23-2008, 07:24 PM
I am usually left baffled at some of the nominations. An example from last year was Babel. It wasn't a very well received movie from critics at all and it got a picture of the year nomination somehow. I don't get it sometimes.

That said what has caught me be surprise was 3 nominations for original song from Enchanted.

Miriel
01-23-2008, 07:28 PM
I was so happy for enchanted! God, I looooved that movie. I was even crossing my fingers for Amy Adams to get a nomination for her performance in that. She was phenomenal. And seriously, I walked out of the movie and could NOT STOP humming the songs. :p

Also, Babel sucked ass. One of the worst movies I've ever seen.

Breine
01-23-2008, 08:30 PM
Also, Babel sucked ass. One of the worst movies I've ever seen.

What? Seriously? I loved the movie, and was disappointed that it didn't win more awards last year.

Yamaneko
01-23-2008, 08:57 PM
I've heard terrible things about Atonement, not to mention my personal disdain towards romantic epics in general.

Miriel
01-23-2008, 09:08 PM
It's not a romantic epic, really. Despite how they're trying to market the movie. Rather than this soaring, beautiful, lovey-dovey movie, it's actually really dark, moody, sad, ugly, unforgiving. It left me kinda depressed. It didn't even feel like a movie. It felt more like a series of shots, strung together (beautifully) but not really like most traditional movies. If you asked me how long the movie was, I would have said 60 minutes at most. It's a very odd film. I can see why a lot of people would dislike it.

The technical achievements of the movie is astounding though. It was like watching live art. The music, the camera movement, the acting, it had almost a trance-like effect.

Dolentrean
01-25-2008, 10:02 PM
I've heard terrible things about Atonement, not to mention my personal disdain towards romantic epics in general.

Yah, I havent seen it, but after it got killed in the reviews I was supprised to see it nominated.

I think art direction may go to Sweeny Todd, Tim Burtons movies are rarely best film material, but you have to give him credit when it comes to art direction.

charliepanayi
01-25-2008, 10:08 PM
Atonement has 82% on Rotten Tomatoes, that hardly signifies being 'killed in the reviews'.

The Unknown Guru
01-26-2008, 03:18 AM
No Original Score nomination for Juno!? AUGH!

I don't think collections of pop music count for Original Scores.

Seriously? I haven't heard a single one of those songs before... *hides in shame*

Breine
01-26-2008, 12:53 PM
Atonement has 82% on Rotten Tomatoes, that hardly signifies being 'killed in the reviews'.

Yeah, it was very well received by critics, and was on several critics' "Top 10 Movies of the Year" lists.