PDA

View Full Version : Advance Wars: Days of Ruin

ljkkjlcm9
01-22-2008, 08:12 PM
SO this game was just released today, and I happened to be in the store when they delivered it, so I picked up a copy. I'm about 6 missions into it, and it's definitely darker than any of the previous titles.

The new troops I've seen so far have added little to the game. In fact, it seems it'll end up being very simple and a lot less complex than the previous DS title. Now for some, this may be a good thing, but to me, it took away a lot of the versatility so far. It's still a great Advance Wars game, and the story is definitely one of the better ones, with a real sense of tragedy and purpose to the main character. I'm not sure how I feel about this one overall, but it's definitely the same Advanced Wars. If you liked the previous titles, there's certainly no reason you won't enjoy this one. Just not sure I'll be playing it for as long as I played the previous one.

The newer troops have done nothing for me... especially the antitank. Rockets are stronger, and are Artillery is almost as strong as it. Artillery is 6k, while Antitank is 11k, and rockets are 15k. I'm either going to buy two artillery to get more damage done, or save up for a rocket. It's not a bad unit, but feels obsolete. I do like getting rid of the Neo/Mega tank and making it just one tank. It got to the point that Neo tanks were obsolete. The new moto-infantry is good too, as well as the flare tank in the fog of war maps. Haven't reached any air or sea battles yet however. While the moto infantry is good, I only build cheap infantry to capture anyways, and I doubt I'd make more than 1 or 2 flare tanks in a fog of war map.

THE JACKEL

JKTrix
01-22-2008, 09:02 PM
Game is really newbie friendly too. Easy access to all tutorials, and the Tactics (hint) feature all make it that much more accessible to new folks. It seems like the changes they made to the game make it more streamlined. There's less 'extra stuff' to worry about, and the bikes make getting to cities and factories quicker in most cases.

I'm a couple missions behind you, having just cleared the mission where you get the Anti-Tank. It depends on your strategy style with the use you'll have for it, but I can see its value. It withstood a full-powered attack from the War Tank and countered for a decent 3 points of damage. The fact that it can counter Direct Attacks is just something extra for it to do. I like it quite a bit.

I've read that later on, the Rig (new APC) can set up temporary airports and stuff, so that seems like even more strategy to be used. They took a bunch of stuff out that was in the older games, but I don't think they've skimped on the strategy depth at all. I think it may even be better now.

Still as addictive as ever, though.

ljkkjlcm9
01-22-2008, 09:15 PM
Game is really newbie friendly too. Easy access to all tutorials, and the Tactics (hint) feature all make it that much more accessible to new folks. It seems like the changes they made to the game make it more streamlined. There's less 'extra stuff' to worry about, and the bikes make getting to cities and factories quicker in most cases.

I'm a couple missions behind you, having just cleared the mission where you get the Anti-Tank. It depends on your strategy style with the use you'll have for it, but I can see its value. It withstood a full-powered attack from the War Tank and countered for a decent 3 points of damage. The fact that it can counter Direct Attacks is just something extra for it to do. I like it quite a bit.

I've read that later on, the Rig (new APC) can set up temporary airports and stuff, so that seems like even more strategy to be used. They took a bunch of stuff out that was in the older games, but I don't think they've skimped on the strategy depth at all. I think it may even be better now.

Still as addictive as ever, though.

That pretty much told me what I suspect. It'll probably pick up as I go on later. I always preferred the free maps anyways to the story. But I'm actually enjoying this games story. I didn't realize the antitank could counter direct attacks... so that's pretty cool.

THE JACKEL

JKTrix
01-22-2008, 09:53 PM
Had to cut my last post short. didn't realize i was 5:00 :P

But yeah, the anti-tanks can take a beating too. I'm just playing the first Trial Mission right now (as I'm typing), and the enemy's lone Anti-Tank is camped on the base in the top right corner of the screen. So far it has taken out everything I've thrown at it. I just built a rocket to take it on, as its range is longer.

Related to that, something else that adds to the new strategy is the fact that units gain levels. This feature actually makes you think about it from both sides of the conflict. Of course, you kill an enemy, you get a level, you get stronger (attack & defense). But it also applies to your enemy--they kill one of yours, they get a level, and get stronger. By me throwing all those tanks at that anti-tank in this trial mission, and having them all get handily blown into oblivion, the Anti-Tank is now at Level 3 (Veteran, the highest level a unit can get). In the previous games, some of my tactics involved 'just send a bunch of people at the same time, they can only attack them one at a time and I'll still have leftovers'. Now in Days of Ruin, with me using this tactic, all my 'cannon fodder/bait' units become ideal opportunities for the enemy to strengthen their own units, which ultimately make them that much harder to defeat. Especially if some of my own ranked units get destroyed, and I'm left with a bunch of no-battle-experience units.

Also, I mentioned the 'Tactics' hint system with the 'newbie friendly' stuff. At first it seems to basically tell you, 'This is how you win the stage', bt I'm already at a point where it's more of a 'strategy hint' than a FAQ. Besides all of that, it's pretty worthwhile to check them out (maybe after clearing the stage once on your own if you don't want help) to see the dialogues that take place. I see potential for additional character development and attempted humour. One of the Tactics hints is actually conducted by the *enemy* commander. So they are at least entertaining bits of story, rather than dry tutorial explanations.

ljkkjlcm9
01-22-2008, 10:28 PM
I already did that trial, I used a rocket then two regular tanks to take it out.

But yeah, the leveling is cool. I need to see what happens if you combine a leveled unit with a non leveled unit.

THE JACKEL

Heath
01-23-2008, 12:38 AM
I didn't realise this was out already.

Out of interest, how does it compare to the other Advance Wars games? I mean the screenshots I've seen have made the game look like quite a departure from the main series in terms of graphics and general setting of the game. I have to admit that I love the AW games and so I hope such changes are for the better. I'll probably get it at some point when I have time to play it and money for it, but I'm just curious of what you've made of it.

ljkkjlcm9
01-23-2008, 11:43 AM
I didn't realise this was out already.

Out of interest, how does it compare to the other Advance Wars games? I mean the screenshots I've seen have made the game look like quite a departure from the main series in terms of graphics and general setting of the game. I have to admit that I love the AW games and so I hope such changes are for the better. I'll probably get it at some point when I have time to play it and money for it, but I'm just curious of what you've made of it.

if you liked the other Advance Wars games, you'll definitely like this one as well. Like I said, the story and tone of the game is much darker, but it's definitely just as fun.

THE JACKEL