PDA

View Full Version : Ultima Weapon

Forsaken Lover
01-22-2008, 08:16 PM
Was I the only one who really loved this boss?
Not only was FF8 Omega Weapon lame-looking, it simply wasn't as cool overall as ultima Weapon.

Whereas, Ultima Weapon...well it's build-up was just perfect.

YouTube - Final Fantasy VIII -0173- Ultima Weapon (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_w7DZ7WCxbU)

You’ve just gone level after level.... Now you’re starting some “Operation” and you and the party are wondering why they abandoned this.
The machine is running...what’s gonna happen? And now there’s an alarm going off - you don’t know why.
You’re viewing other parts of the research place and seeing nothing...what’s going on?
Comes back to the party and now some rocks are glowing...again, you don’t know why.
Now the sound of a heartbeat dominates the audio...louder and louder and louder.
Then BAM!
The fight kicks in, the music starts and you see a huge effin’ monster with a huge effin’ sword.

rubah
01-23-2008, 04:02 AM
I agree; the alarm going off is super freakifying. Excellent mood. I get freaked even on replays xD

Ultima Shadow
01-23-2008, 10:09 PM
Finally! FINALLY! Finally someone else who understands just how awesome Ultima Weapon really is!

Ultima Weapon has been my favourite FF boss ever since I first saw him. Heck, he's even the coolest boss in video game history! :cool:

He should have been stronger, though. If I could modify boss stats in FFVIII, I'd make Ultima Weapon the toughest RPG boss you could ever imagine.

...I've even got an Ultima Weapon action-figure, by the way. :greenie:

cloud21zidane16
01-24-2008, 12:25 AM
hehe yeah i agree it is a good build up and i love the music!:D

Ouch!
01-24-2008, 01:34 AM
I thought it was a little melodramatic considering how much of a push-over he was. Then again, almost everything in FFVIII is a push-over because of how easily one can abuse the junction system.

ReloadPsi
01-24-2008, 10:34 AM
I agree; the alarm going off is super freakifying. Excellent mood. I get freaked even on replays xD

Yeah, me too.

Ultima Weapon sort of feels mandatory though, whereas Omega is clearly optional. Both are very enjoyable boss fights.

Jessweeee♪
01-24-2008, 03:01 PM
I agree xD

....but it was definitely harder for me actually getting to him after Zell messes with the machine. Then I finally figured out how to get through without him doing that and it was much easier.

Heath
01-24-2008, 07:25 PM
It wasn't that good looking in all fairness, but it was still a decent enough battle. Having said that, I suppose considering the fairly decent decisions of the Weapons from FFVII, it did have quite an act to follow.

richards1986
02-15-2008, 03:10 AM
This is just one of the many reasons FF8 is the best final fantasy ever made. it has both the best intro and outro, music and emotional connectivity, the settings are awesome, but its storyline is slightly inferior to 7 IMO.
I a little unsure of one persons comments about the junction system; although they may think its a piece of piss, Omega weapon is by no means a pushover.. i never completed it without cheating.. i personally believe tht it is harder than the final boss from ff10 monster arena, and i wud be interested to know the record for beating it.. i looked thru the strategy guide and id be impressed if someone done it within 3 hours, im tempted to say its the hardest boss they ever done (based on the fact i put in so many hours on the game compared with the others) but i got nowhere near the dark aeons on 10 also, although i didnt play for half as long.

Aerith's Knight
02-15-2008, 03:40 AM
i thought he was kinda easy. The alarm didnt freak me out.. but it was a nice touch.

the level stuff was ok.. but i dont really like puzzles when you have to fight battles in between. Not because its hard.. but because you have to fight battles every 8 seconds.

Except for that.. he was ok.. i finished him off with limit breaks though, and abuse of the junction system :D

Bloodline666
02-20-2008, 03:10 PM
I actually lucked out against Ultima Weapon on my last playthrough. After Game Overing on my first two tries, my third try only saw me drawing Eden (my first priority) and hitting UW with Doomtrain (my second priority), before my entire party got wiped out. But instead of Game Overing that time, Phoenix was summoned to rescue my party (as I had used the Phoenix Pinion earlier in the game). A few turns later, only Squall was left standing, with about 500 HP left out of a possible 8000 or so. Thinking it was my last stand, I unleashed a Limit Break on him. By a pure stroke of luck, Squall finished him off with Lion Heart, and it was all over.

Roogle
02-20-2008, 05:06 PM
I thought that it was an interesting introduction. I never fought Ultima Weapon in Final Fantasy VIII. What part of the game does that take place? What is the location of the characters?

rubah
02-20-2008, 06:04 PM
He's hiding in the bottom of the ocean, roogle.

PuPu
02-20-2008, 06:11 PM
Ultima Weapon was definitely awesome. He was also very hard to beat because of his insane speed. Put on Active Mode and he'll easily Light Pillar and kill all of your characters in a matter of seconds. The only thing I didn't like about him was that one Lion Heart can easily kill him (He has approx 150,000 HP at lv 100 and Lion Heart has the potential to do 170,000 damage).

But, I still don't quite understand what went on the the Deep Sea Research Center. I know that it was probably for studying aquatic life, but I don't understand a few things. Why was there a huge underground cavern under the place that also has stone structures built by people? What were those shiny rocks? What were the people in the DSRC doing in the cavern; what did the machine mean when it said "...all except the leader must take shelter..."

Still, I really liked the place and Ultima Weapon. By the way, Renzokuken looks awesome when used on Ultima Weapon. And yes, it is Cloud's Ultima Weapon sword that he is holding.

I thought that it was an interesting introduction. I never fought Ultima Weapon in Final Fantasy VIII. What part of the game does that take place? What is the location of the characters?
This side quest can be done as soon as you get the Ragnarok, in the later parts of Disc 3 and in Disc 4. The Deep Sea Research Center is near the bottom left corner of the world map.

Bloodline666
02-20-2008, 06:37 PM
Ultima Weapon was definitely awesome. He was also very hard to beat because of his insane speed. Put on Active Mode and he'll easily Light Pillar and kill all of your characters in a matter of seconds. The only thing I didn't like about him was that one Lion Heart can easily kill him (He has approx 150,000 HP at lv 100 and Lion Heart has the potential to do 170,000 damage).

But, I still don't quite understand what went on the the Deep Sea Research Center. I know that it was probably for studying aquatic life, but I don't understand a few things. Why was there a huge underground cavern under the place that also has stone structures built by people? What were those shiny rocks? What were the people in the DSRC doing in the cavern; what did the machine mean when it said "...all except the leader must take shelter..."

Still, I really liked the place and Ultima Weapon. By the way, Renzokuken looks awesome when used on Ultima Weapon. And yes, it is Cloud's Ultima Weapon sword that he is holding.

This side quest can be done as soon as you get the Ragnarok, in the later parts of Disc 3 and in Disc 4. The Deep Sea Research Center is near the bottom left corner of the world map.

If you have an enemy already victimized by Meltdown/Doomtrain, that damage can go up to anywhere between approximately 200,000 to 240,000, and that's factoring in the initial hits of the Renzokuken.

BG-57
02-20-2008, 10:46 PM
UW rules. I have an ArtFX figure of him as well.

My favorite touch is the sword in his hand is nearly identical to Cloud's Ultima Weapon sword. The simplest explanation is that since it was dropped by the FFVII version, why not show this version simply wielding it?

Although Cloud=UW theories have been proposed. :p