PDA

View Full Version : Evangelion: Death and Rebirth

Roto13
01-22-2008, 09:07 PM
If someone was to watch only Death and Rebirth, would they be able to understand End of Evangelion. I've never seen it because I hate recaps, but there's someone I'd like to watch the movie with and I really don't want to watch the whole series again. Would that be an ok substitute?

JKTrix
01-22-2008, 10:08 PM
Not really, but watch it anyway. Anyone who says they truly 'get' Evangelion is lying, so I wouldn't worry about it.

It'd probably be a little better if you skip it, actually. I believe End of Evangelion was the more 'real' ending of evangelion, being newer than (and unrelated to) Death & Rebirth and closer to the TV show's ending. Eva had 3 endings: TV show, Death/Rebirth, and End of Eva.

But really, those are probably superceded by the new Eva movies. Who knows how those will turn out. Maybe GAINAX has a real ending for EVA this time.

Roto13
01-22-2008, 10:11 PM
Let me rephrase. :P Would he be able to ENJOY End of Evangelion after only watching Death and Rebirth? :P

Azure Chrysanthemum
01-22-2008, 11:47 PM
One doesn't enjoy End of Evangelion, one simply pretends it doesn't exist. :p

That being said, I don't think Death and Rebirth is enough to really get any kind of attachment to the characters, so he might enjoy End of Evangelion more because he doesn't care about the characters.

The Unknown Guru
01-22-2008, 11:51 PM
What!? End of Evangelion exists!?

In all seriousness, no. Behold the Void has a point; it's not long enough to get attached to the characters. If you aren't attached to the characters, it's not nearly as freaky when they all go insane.

Roto13
01-23-2008, 02:18 AM
Oh, you people just complain about the movie because it made you want to go cut yourself afterwards. xD

Bahamut2000X
01-23-2008, 02:26 AM
If someone was to watch only Death and Rebirth, [b]would they be able to understand End of Evangelion.

Wait people understood Eva? :confused:

XxSephirothxX
01-23-2008, 02:31 AM
Oh, you people just complain about the movie because it made you want to go cut yourself afterwards. xD
I liked the movie more than the show! I thought it was a great way to end it. Fittingly fucked up. I don't think Death & Rebirth would really be an adequate primer, though.

The Unknown Guru
01-23-2008, 02:54 AM

Cut myself? Hell, I wanted to go to an asylum, steal a straitjacket, and run around like a maniac in it.

I really did like the movie, though.

Ouch!
01-23-2008, 05:45 AM
I saw Death and Rebirth and subsequently End of Evangelion before watching the anime. While I must say that I had abso-freaking-lutely no clue what the ruddy hell was going on, I thought it was sincerely awesome.

Granted, I watched it again after watching the series and still was relatively clueless. Despite that, I rather enjoyed End of Evangelion, it maintains the same degree of "seriously fucked up" that the series did, except it takes it about twenty steps further by throwing in "it's okay, we didn't explain any of this in the series, so it's not really supposed to make much sense!"

I just want Rebuild.

Now.

Vermachtnis
01-23-2008, 06:09 AM
It's not that hard to understand. Everyone died or got turned into jello. But some came back...if they felt like it.

I have no idea what really happened.

Ouch!
01-23-2008, 06:24 AM
Watching End of Evangelion is like subjecting oneself to an extremely flashy frontal lobotomy. I love it. =D

NeoCracker
01-23-2008, 06:26 AM
Death and rebirth is garbage.

Watch the series, skip right to the End of Eva.

And from my understanding, the series ended with what was going on inside Shinji's mind during the whole thing.

The Movie is what was going on in the outside world.

The first movie was a :skull::skull::skull::skull:ty recap.

Great series.

Ouch!
01-23-2008, 06:43 AM

And from my understanding, the series ended with what was going on inside Shinji's mind during the whole thing.

Great series.
Aye, but a recap with a few extra scenes that made End of Evangelion slightly less "OMGWTFBBQ?"

NeoCracker
01-23-2008, 06:46 AM

Great series.
Aye, but a recap with a few extra scenes that made End of Evangelion slightly less "OMGWTFBBQ?"
Didn't those scenes just get replayed at the beginning of "End of Eva"?

Avarice-ness
01-23-2008, 07:05 AM
I say skip to the end of eva.

I havn't even thought of Evangelion in like 2 years, still one of my favorite anime's -ever-, for the soul fact no matter how much I watch it, I'll never get it, and the constant "wow" expression on my face combined with confusement is a wonderful thing to see and experience.

Evangelions like drugs you can only get by watching it. :D

Ouch!
01-23-2008, 07:24 AM

Great series.
Didn't those scenes just get replayed at the beginning of "End of Eva"?
The first half of End of Evangelion or so is in Death or Rebirth, this is true, but I was referring to scenes slipped in with the recap portion of Death and Rebirth. Specifically the scene in which Gendo Ikari fuses Adam with his hand, a scene integral to the events of the movie
which did not appear in the series explicitly.

Karellen
01-23-2008, 07:50 AM
I really don't see the point in watching End of Evangelion unless you've already watched and liked the series. To answer your question though, no; Death and Rebirth was a woeful attempt at a recap.

Avarice-ness
01-23-2008, 07:51 AM
I really don't see the point in watching End of Evangelion unless you've already watched and liked the series. To answer your question though, no; Death and Rebirth was a woeful attempt at a recap.

Most people don't stray into movies from a series unless they like them in the first place. :D

Bahamut2000X
01-23-2008, 07:08 PM
I remember me and a buddy of mine watched the entire series in one sitting one winter night during high school and tried to make sense of everything. We were t3h megafail. :cry:

Kawaii Ryűkishi
01-23-2008, 07:20 PM
Eva had 3 endings: TV show, Death/Rebirth, and End of Eva.Death & Rebirth was just a recap of the show plus the first thirty minutes or so of The End of Evangelion. It didn't constitute an ending unto itself.

Anyway, the correct way to watch Eva is to start with Episodes 1 through 24, then skip the improvised television ending and advance straight to the The End of Evangelion.

Roto13
01-24-2008, 03:08 PM
I probably won't bother with it, then. :P I don't feel like watching the whole series again.

Oh, well.

Roogle
01-24-2008, 03:23 PM
I agree with Kawaii Ryűkishi. Death and Rebirth could not be a suitable substitute as a prelude to End of Evangelion.

Jowy
01-24-2008, 05:17 PM
Death and Rebirth was a waste of thirty bucks.