PDA

View Full Version : p2p sharing...

Tifa's Real Lover(really
01-22-2008, 09:08 PM
ok so im going to try to make this as understandable as possible...

my downloads in shareaza (a p2p software like limewire) arent going very fast

i think it may be because of my windows firewall, since thats what the programs say

any suggestions and solutions to this? =/

on my other computer it goes very fast, on this computer it just wont download

Rostum
01-22-2008, 09:25 PM
Just go to the windows firewall option and make an exception for the program you are using. By the way, I think that program also finds torrent files, so you'd need to make sure you are set up properly for downloading those.

Tifa's Real Lover(really
01-22-2008, 09:34 PM
ok ive checked off the program in the exception list, but its still not downloading, do i download "BITS Peercaching" and "Windows Peer to Peer collaboration foundation" too?

o_O
01-22-2008, 09:38 PM
I think it's more likely to be because your ISP is throttling the connection on either the ports that known P2P is using or by packet inspection of known P2P packet headers.

If it's the former you can probably circumvent it by changing the port that the program is using. If it's the latter (probably) then unless you can encrypt your traffic and your ISP doesn't use deep packet inspection then you're pretty much out of luck.

Tifa's Real Lover(really
01-22-2008, 09:39 PM
ok im sorry but..... that didnt make any sense to me =/

Mirage
01-22-2008, 09:45 PM
Translation:

Your ISP doesn't like that you use your internet connection. You might be able to trick them by changing your p2p program's port or encrypting the connection.

o_O
01-22-2008, 09:57 PM
Yeah, basically your ISP can determine what program you're using. If it's on a list of known P2P clients then they'll slow you right down so that you "don't use up all of the internet". Nazis.

Tifa's Real Lover(really
01-22-2008, 09:58 PM
oooo, thank you :). is there anything i can do so it can work?

o_O
01-22-2008, 10:02 PM
Yes, change ISP. :p

Really though, before changing ISP you should call up your current one to check if they do shape traffic. If they say "yes" or "I'm not at liberty to say" then you should change. Otherwise it could just be a port problem, in which case we should deal with it here. :p