PDA

View Full Version : quick question about materia

swatzlewatt
01-23-2008, 05:20 AM
when i paired my 'final attack' materia with 'Phoenix', and killed the holder, nothing happened. Why is this? i also tried it on a different person and killed them (to try it, of course :D) and again, they died without doing anything. Is this because i mindlessly slaughtered my own team mates rather than letting them be killed by an opponent?

d£v!l'$ ph0£n!x
01-23-2008, 11:02 AM
i would guess so, cos the holder uses the paired materia on the enemy that killed them, and i'm not so sure you want to use phoenix the opposite way round, are you? :D

Captain Maxx Power
01-23-2008, 05:48 PM
The only possible reason I can think Final Attack wouldn't trigger (provided you hadn't use Phoenix during the battle since the Final Attack is limited to the number of charges a Summon has left) is if you had more than eight counter-type commands on the same character. E.g. If you had eight Counter-Attack Materia on a character, adding a Ninth would do nothing because of the limited space available.

cloud21zidane16
01-23-2008, 05:56 PM
Above answers are probably right, did you use phoniex before you killed the character? that could be the reason. Just attack yourself so you have a small amount of hp and let the enemy finish you off, see what happens;)

Gilthanes
01-23-2008, 06:30 PM
My first guess would be that since its Final Attack->Phoenix, and you cant technically target yourself with Phoenix (you target the enemy, and then a sideeffect is that it ressurects the group), that when you killed yourself, it didnt trigger Final Attack since you cant cast Phoenix on the person who killed you since hes not an enemy.

oddler
01-23-2008, 08:59 PM
You can test if Final Attack works when you kill an ally equipped with it by pairing it with something else. Try pairing it with Restore or something simple and see what happens when that person dies by being attacked by an ally. :holmes:

.:kerrod:.
01-24-2008, 06:06 AM
Before i start, let me say that this was actually my question and i was over swatzlwatt's house when i needed it answered, so i did this in his name :p

My first guess would be that since its Final Attack->Phoenix, and you cant technically target yourself with Phoenix (you target the enemy, and then a sideeffect is that it ressurects the group), that when you killed yourself, it didnt trigger Final Attack since you cant cast Phoenix on the person who killed you since hes not an enemy.

Yeah, i think this is the most likely cause, and thanks to everybody who mentioned it earlier, too

You can test if Final Attack works when you kill an ally equipped with it by pairing it with something else. Try pairing it with Restore or something simple and see what happens when that person dies by being attacked by an ally. :holmes:

haha, but why would i kill my own person just to get a bit of restore out of them (unless of course it's one of my lesser-preferred characters :p)? but i will try this later to see if it heals the enemy, i shouldn't think it would, though.

EDIT: I hadn't used Phoenix earlier in the battle, i had considered this option earlier...and it's the only counter-type materia i had on the character at the time