PDA

View Full Version : Doctor says I have a mild concussion.

Quindiana Jones
01-23-2008, 10:15 PM
Tuesday. Between 13 and 1400 hours.

Quin is swinging off his chair. His friend says "remember when you did a ninja backwards roll when you fell off that?". Quin replies an affirmative, and says he thinks he can do it again. Quin pushes back. Two loud thump whacks hit the ground. Quin swears, and stumbles around for a seat. Very dizzy and headachey.

Tuesday. Roughly 2200 hours.

Quin is texting his woman. He passes out. He wakes up an hour and a half later, apologises, then falls asleep.

Wednesday. 0740 hours.

Quin's friends calls him. Quin thinks "Oh bugger, I have to leave the house in 10 minutes!" Quin quickly gets ready for college, and manages to get on the bus looking his usual fine self.

Wednesday. Later.

Quin goes to the First Aid man, who tells him that he usually doesn't get many cases, especially head trauma ones. Quin feels special. Quin is told to come back if it gets worse, and he will be taken to hospital.

Wednesday. Slightly more later.

Quin goes back to reception, and tries to find First Aid man. Turns out, First Aid man is busy with an even better head trauma case - one who actually fell unconscious. Quin feels a bit gutted. Quin gets taken to hospital with his head trauma buddy.

Wednesday. Laterer.

Quin is diagnosed with mild concussion, and is told to take Paracetamol every four hours, and Ibuprofen every 3. Quin goes back to college and continues life.

Wednesday. Evening.

Quin makes a thread on an internet forum.

So yeah, I have mild concussion. It's cool. It's like a big hand is gripping my brain in a tight, and slightly painful, grip, whilst covering my ears.

Topic is: Have you ever had any cool head injuries? What, and How?

My other head injury involves my forehead, a hockey stick, and plenty of blood and swearing. Now I have a cool scar, but luckily my hair covers it.

Psychotic
01-23-2008, 10:18 PM
One time my brother thought it would be GREAT FUN to smash a heavy metal computer chair down on the back of my head. Hilarity, blood, and a concussion ensued! Probably would've needed a fair few stitches but I am a real man who toughs out anything up to and including mortal wounds without seeing a doctor.

Jess
01-23-2008, 10:20 PM
I cracked my head open on the corner of a paving slab when I was like, four. You could see my skull! I had butterfly stiches and now I have a scar on my forehead which I hatehatehatehate.

Quindiana Jones
01-23-2008, 10:22 PM
I had butterfly stitched for the hockey incident. But it got scabbed over, so taking them off was bloody torture, and resulted in a second scar.

Bunny
01-23-2008, 10:23 PM
When I was little I split my head open on three different occasions. Each time I passed out for half the day and woke up with a big headache and an inability to understand basic speech for several minutes afterwards.

It was fun. One time, I caught a fly with my bare hands.

Rantz
01-23-2008, 10:26 PM
When I was about a month old, I had encephalitis (which I survived iirc). I rode an ambulance. They would not let me steer :(

fire_of_avalon
01-23-2008, 10:41 PM
I've never hurt my head. Only my face.

Cookie
01-23-2008, 10:43 PM
It wasn't my head, but I crashed into my mate with my bike and my handlebar dug into his head. Then his step dad put hairgel on it as a solution. It was proper funny.

rubah
01-23-2008, 10:47 PM
the only head injuries I've sustained were pimples and blackheads :(

We did have a couple who were going out in high school that both got concussions within a few months of one another. One was a football player who got it by flying off a four-wheeler (fortunate for him there wasn't a telephone pole. Another kid from school died from flying off his four wheeler into a phone pole), but his then-girlfriend got hers by slipping in the bathroom before a football game and bashing her head on the tile floor.

it was kinda funny at the time xD

Quindiana Jones
01-23-2008, 10:49 PM
Still is. :laugh:

escobert
01-23-2008, 10:53 PM
I received 3 mild concussions in football. All were odd and I saw everything as either purple or orange.

Evastio
01-23-2008, 11:44 PM
A concussion is when you fall unconscious and go so brain dead that you can't even tell how much time has passed by since you've had it right?

I've had that happen to me before. I went sliding down stair rails one time, I was about to run into some people so I tried to stop but ended up falling off the rail and landing on my head. As soon as my head hit the stairs I found myself somehow "warped" (don't laugh at this, it's the best word I can think of to describe this) to the ground. My friends claimed that I was lying down on the ground unreactive for a minute. The strange thing was that I literally just hit my head on the stairs then ended up on the ground getting up after realizing I was down on the ground without experiencing the rest of the tumble down the stairs or the minute where I stayed unresponsive.

mooglebunni608
01-23-2008, 11:49 PM
Not really, although I have had a number of heavy items chucked at my head by my loving sister, including a heavy candle >< Pain and headaches ensued.

Big D
01-23-2008, 11:51 PM
A concussion is when you fall unconscious and go so brain dead that you can't even tell how much time has passed by since you've had it right?No, it sounds like you're thinking of a coma, though being 'brain dead' is something else entirely.

Concussion can indeed be serious business, though. A fair few rugby players in my country have died from concussion due to ignoring medical advice, by simply drinking a moderate amount of alcohol or enjoying a hot shower in the immediate aftermath of their injury.

Jojee
01-23-2008, 11:53 PM
I had MASSIVE amounts of head injuries when I was younger.

One time my cousin's friend was trying to throw a gigantic stone at a window but it hit me instead :shifty: Had to go to doctor for that, was too young to remember what happened. (I was 3)

Then my cousin held up a red handkerchief and told me to run through it like a bull, and backed up against the wall and I ran through super fast and crashed into the wall with my head :p That was bad.

Then my cousin pushed me down the cement stairs and I hit my head.

Then...

Well, there's a billion more stories :(

cloud21zidane16
01-24-2008, 12:00 AM
Ive knocked my head in places and have had a few things smash into it but have never had nothing wrong with me, my hards pretty hard:)

Martyr
01-24-2008, 01:01 AM
My mom dropped me when I wa a baby.

Rantz
01-24-2008, 01:18 AM
My mom dropped me when I wa a baby.
Weren't you "the man who walked into a bar"? :)

Ouch!
01-24-2008, 01:50 AM
The defense had just cleared the ball up the field after a particularly nasty assault. In desperation, the sweeper had kicked the ball wildly away. As a forward, I made a mad dash for the ball, outrunning their defense. The ball landed and began to roll towards the goalie. He saw my charge for the ball and rushed to meet me. It became a game of guts; would he slow down if I showed no sign of relenting? Would I relent if he did not slow?

We crashed. He was bigger. I was out cold for a couple minutes. After being placed into a neck brace and shipped off to the hospital in an ambulance (as my parents were not at the game, my German teacher--whose son was a teammate of mine--accompanied me). I later learned I had a mild concussion.

Fast forward to the following weekend. I went pumpkin picking with my friend and his twin brother. Did I mention it was almost Halloween? No? It was. Anyway, my friend's twin chased us around. The pumpkin picking place was a farm, and the dead stalks of corn had been cut to make a maze. As we ran out of the maze, I slipped (for the ground was very wet and slippery) and slammed headfirst into a metal pole. I got a second concussion in less than a week. Fun stuff.

I also got a concussion stepping out of the shower once. I forgot to duck and smashed my head on the upper track for the sliding glass door.

Vincent, Thunder God
01-24-2008, 01:57 AM
This reminded me of this great line from the Lonely Island -

*Ardy is wheeled out in a wheelchair*

*His friends Yorm and Kiv gasp*

"DOC says - I MAY NEVER WALK AGAIN"

*doctor looks skeptic, stares at Ardy* "UM NO - I said you fractured your pinky... he MADE me put in him in the wheelchair!" (http://www.thelonelyisland.com/episodes.html)

smittenkitten
01-24-2008, 02:10 AM
Me and my friends were playing sumo wrestling by putting on huge jumpers and sticking clothes up them. Anyway my friends were about bounce into each other when I accidently ran in between them and both of their heads collided with mine. I felt really dizzy and went to look in the mirror. Blood was everywhere, all down my face neck and pink dress... I screamed. So after we went to hospital to get about six stitches which hurt like hell, it turned out I was really close to cracking my skull. Well I won't be doing sumo wrestling anymore. :)

Lynx
01-24-2008, 02:16 AM
ive had pleanty of head injurys i got stiches once where a metal can whacked me in the ehad when i was 9 or so. and another one when my dog jumped on my couch and his nail stabbed into my head leaveing a nice scar. theres more too.

Bahamut2000X
01-24-2008, 03:09 AM
I got punched in the head a few times by my brother during Ninjutsu when we were practicing various punches and he missed. I've also hit it on many a cabinets and doors and various other objects.

The worst though was when I was practicing swinging my sword and I thought of a cool new way to do a technique, I ended up messing up and not stopping my sword as the blunt end smacked straight into the top of my head and I went deaf for about a second and my ears were ringing for like a few hours.

Avarice-ness
01-24-2008, 03:13 AM
When I was four, I was chasing my sisters friend on foot while he was on a bike. Well basically I wasn't looking, the bike stopped and I hit my head on the bicycle seat. I had to get stitches and a scar that'll be with me forevers~

The Devil
01-24-2008, 04:16 AM
I never get such thing's as concussion. Except for that time Jesus slapped me with his flip flop...I hate that guy. :mad2:

Caraliz
01-24-2008, 04:21 AM
I slipped on a large slippery rock (IN POLAND) when I was 8 and I still have a big bump on my forehead from then. it turned blue, yellow, purple, green, etc. :(

DK
01-24-2008, 04:28 AM
Couple of friends were over once when I was like 15 and we were having a general battle as you do with your mates, just roughing each other up a bit. Anyway one of them thought it would be a bright idea to lob this giant paperback book at me and Jon who I had in a headlock at the time, and the corner smashed straight into my forehead and bust me wide open. I donned the proverbial "crimson mask", it was epic. Entire face was just covered in blood, and because our phone wasn't working at the time, I just went and knocked next door and asked casually asked them if I could use their phone. Suffice to say, they were a bit disturbed.

The Summoner of Leviathan
01-24-2008, 04:40 AM
When I was in grade 10, my mom asked me to bring in some wood (we have a wood furnace). So I go and bring in a load, my shoelaces happen to be untied, without incident. She sends me for a second load. On the second to last step into my basement, I fall backwards. I get hit in the head by a piece of wood. My mom hating the sight of blood made me clean my own wound and then apply pressure to it. Thankfully due to the shock, I felt nothing. We go to the hospital to get stitches. The local anaesthetic almost made me cry, again. My mom meanwhile is sitting in a chair looking out the window. The doctor asked her if she was going to be alright while I am the one getting my head sown up. I ended up with five stitches. Luckily, I apparently did not suffer from a concussion.

On the plus side, since it was a head injury I spent less than like 15 minutes in the hospital.

Jiro
01-24-2008, 07:45 AM
I have a few to tell you guys.

1. When I was really young one of my friends thought it would be cool to play Power Rangers at slashed my with a knife. I have a small but nifty scar on the right hand side of my face. No tears :)

2. Also when I was small I had one of those tricycle things. I decided to jump off the veranda, but just ended up rolling down the stairs and getting gravel stuck in my head. Still no tears :)

3. When I was about 7 I had a table-top fan and it didnt have a protective cover (that was stupid). Well, I went to change the setting and it got me just above my right eye. No permanant damage and no tears :)

4. A few years ago at my club Athletics I slipped and hit my head on some concrete. I thought I was fine. I went and started my 400m race. Got to the home straight and collapsed. We had to go to the local doctor at 9 o'clock at night. No tears, even then!

And there's others, but I can't remember them. Funny that :D

Miriel
01-24-2008, 07:48 AM
When I was a toddler, I fell and cracked my head open and had to go to the hospital and stuff. I can't remember any of that happening, but I imagine the accident did something to impede my ability to GET math. The math part of my brain oozed out, I think.

Jiro
01-24-2008, 08:06 AM
When I was a toddler, I fell and cracked my head open and had to go to the hospital and stuff. I can't remember any of that happening, but I imagine the accident did something to impede my ability to GET math. The math part of my brain oozed out, I think.

I think all my head injuries were the reason I understood Math.

BardTard
01-24-2008, 08:24 AM
No but one time I crashed my bike and got bruised and torn up pretty bad. I was on crutches for... *thinks* about a day. I still kinda have a scar above my lip. Everyone said it was a miracle I didn't break any bones, lose any teeth or get a concussion.

But there was this one time I fell the stairs when I was a kid.
That explains so much. *disses self* HA! I beat the next person to post!

Calliope
01-24-2008, 08:35 AM
Then my cousin held up a red handkerchief and told me to run through it like a bull, and backed up against the wall and I ran through super fast and crashed into the wall with my head :p That was bad.

A couple of years ago I went to a YYY concert and a large piece of the ceiling fell on my head during the support act (http://www.dailynews.co.za/?fSectionId=&fArticleId=qw115319448046B252). I had to go to the hospital and wait about six hours to get stitches, and had quite the concussion. I didn't even get to see the band!

I have lots more stories, but that is probably the most interesting one.

Jiro
01-24-2008, 08:50 AM
No but one time I crashed my bike and got bruised and torn up pretty bad. I was on crutches for... *thinks* about a day. I still kinda have a scar above my lip. Everyone said it was a miracle I didn't break any bones, lose any teeth or get a concussion.

But there was this one time I fell the stairs when I was a kid.
That explains so much. *disses self* HA! I beat the next person to post!

Heh, that reminds me of the time i tore all the ligaments in my ankle as well as stretching the tendons. Was supposed to be on crutches for 6 weeks. Meh, was on them for the Friday and went to play football (it IS football, not soccer). Lasted the whole seventy minutes as well as reffing two games afterwards. I'm insane :D

Jessweeee♪
01-24-2008, 02:42 PM
When I was two I was jumping on the couch and fell. I hit my head on the coffee table and the lady at the hospital thought my father was a child abuser :(

snacks
01-24-2008, 05:24 PM
First incident:

At my old house in Colorado we had one of those 2 sided swings, I don't know exactly what they call them. Well one day I decided I thought it'd be great fun to do an "underdog" on them, go for the kill and bam slice the top of my head open slightly. Luckily for me it wasn't deep or anything and it just required some TLC.

I don't know if you could call this head drama really, even though it involves the head. I was 12 years old, riding my bike on our sidewalk in front when all the sudden (i can't remember what lead up to this, I was probably being stupid) I fell over the front of my bike and landed on my stomach. I ran home like a scared little baby, and told my parents who looked at me with horror. Apparently I had pushed my glasses into my head and was bleeding.

I needed 13 stitches above my eyebrow.

The end.

escobert
01-24-2008, 05:27 PM

A couple of years ago I went to a YYY concert and a large piece of the ceiling fell on my head during the support act (http://www.dailynews.co.za/?fSectionId=&fArticleId=qw115319448046B252). I had to go to the hospital and wait about six hours to get stitches, and had quite the concussion. I didn't even get to see the band!

I have lots more stories, but that is probably the most interesting one.
haha that's awesome xD

Breine
01-24-2008, 06:20 PM
I never get such thing's as concussion. Except for that time Jesus slapped me with his flip flop...I hate that guy. :mad2:

Haha, yeah gotta hate Jesus for his gymnastic abilities :hat: Sure you're not just jealous? :P

Anyway, nope never had a concussion, and I'm pretty happy about that. Not being able to watch TV or read for a longer period of time would suck some mighty ass.

Heath
01-24-2008, 07:13 PM
I've slipped and hit my head on a tile floor when I was younger. Felt slightly dizzy for a bit afterwards but was fine other than that. I must have a head of steel or something. Otherwise no, I can safely say I've avoided head injuries altogether.