PDA

View Full Version : GTAIV, April 29th. Why you should care.

JKTrix
01-24-2008, 05:43 PM
Grand Theft Auto IV release on April 29 (http://ir.take2games.com/ReleaseDetail.cfm?ReleaseID=289342)

Just like I'm not a fan of Final Fantasy, I'm not a fan of Grand Theft Auto. It's simply another good game franchise I would play. I'm sure GTA doesn't appeal to the hoi polloi (http://www.answers.com/main/ntquery?gwp=13&s=hoi%20polloi) of this board either, so you probably don't care about when it's coming out. However, there's something you should look out for, particularly if you're looking to buy one of the next-gen systems.

You might be aware that GTA was recognized mostly as a PS2 game. It did eventually come out on other platforms but PS2 always had it first. This time, however, GTA4 is launching at the same time on both the 360 and the PS3.

GTA is an incredibly popular franchise, especially among the mainstream gamers (mainstream being the type of people who eagerly buy Madden and movie games). There will be people who only buy Madden every year and GTA when it comes out. Personally, I work with a couple of them--though in Bermuda, "Football" = "FIFA". Previously, the PS2 was their choice since they could get Madden (or FIFA :P) and GTA to play on one game box. This time, Madden and GTA will be on both systems at the same time, and the two console manufacturers will be competing for attention. (Aside: Look at Assassin's Creed. All the commercials I was seeing for it on TV--the way you reach the mainstream who don't read game websites--advertised it as an Xbox 360 game. Regardless of the installed base of the systems, I'm sure it has benefitted the 360 version's sales.)

The 360 obviously already has the advantage. Putting aside any hardcore technical observations, (http://blog.wired.com/games/2007/07/playstation-3s-.html) the 360 is just plain cheaper. All they want is Madden and GTA, don't really care about anything else.

However--and this is the part you should care about--buzz is going around that the consoles may drop in price when GTAIV comes out. PS3 was likely to lower its price to get closer to the 360, while Microsoft would counter with their own price drop--maintaining their cost advantage.

Now, something that could potentially disprove this idea is the existence of the 40GB PS3 and the 360 Arcade units. By cutting out features of the fuller versions of themselves, they aim for the lowest common denominator and reduce their costs. After all, if these mainstream folks only want the latest Madden and GTA when it lands, what's in those cheaper packages is all they really need.

Either way, if you are looking at buying one of the systems, it may be worth it to hold out a little longer to see if a price cut actually happens. 'Course, if you don't care about GTA *or* getting a new system, then this information means nothing to you and you should just ignore it.

That suggests that you shouldn't reply if you don't care. Though by me saying that, folks are likely to spite me anyway.

Raebus
01-24-2008, 05:48 PM
lol I dun care.

On a serious note, this is great news. I've been wanting to get either an X-box 360 or a PS3 Secretly, I'm leaning to the X-box 360 side right now. I've been a big fan of GTA ever since Grand theft auto 3 so this is great news.

DK
01-24-2008, 05:56 PM
Finally we have a date. I can't wait, it's going to be god damn epic.

Cz
01-24-2008, 09:42 PM
We should care because this game is going to be sublime. But yay price cuts, anyway.

Psychotic
01-24-2008, 09:53 PM
The day before my birthday! Oh Rockstar, I didn't know you cared. :love:

ff is da best
01-24-2008, 10:19 PM
oh man i want the ps3 for loads of the games that are yet to come but then i want the xbox 360 for the games they have out right now hmmmmmmmmm.

but anyways cant wait for gta 4 been a fan ever since San Andreas became no.1

Bolivar
01-25-2008, 12:33 AM
I think Sony might hold out on a price drop until next year, considering alot the games people have been waiting for are coming out this year. After the initial boom for those dies down, price drop'll probably follow.

XxSephirothxX
01-25-2008, 12:37 AM
Yeah, I'm glad it didn't get delayed again. I'll definitely be getting it day one, despite the looming terror of finals the week or two after that.

If there is a PS3 price drop, though, I'll probably pick one up. Looking at scans of FFXIII recently has been painful.

Ashley Schovitz
01-25-2008, 03:01 AM
Grand Theft Auto IV release on April 29 (http://ir.take2games.com/ReleaseDetail.cfm?ReleaseID=289342)

Just like I'm not a fan of Final Fantasy, I'm not a fan of Grand Theft Auto. It's simply another good game franchise I would play. I'm sure
If you're not a final fantasy fan then why are you here? and if you're not a GTA fan then why bother making this thread informing us of a delay and that last sentence doesn't make since when you said you're not a fan.

Anyway I'm kinda bummed on the delay but hopefully the game will be even better when it comes.

XxSephirothxX
01-25-2008, 03:05 AM
Did you even read this thread? The game wasn't delayed. They announced a release date. JKTrix posted quite clearly that the significance of the thread to himself and other people who are not major fans of Grand Theft Auto is the possibility of a system price drop coinciding with the release of Grand Theft Auto IV.

KentaRawr!
01-25-2008, 03:07 AM
I'm not an FF fan anymore either. Not to the point that I'd join an FF Only forum, anyway. Things like that happen. I used to be an FF junky. :p

Anyway, that's good news if it ends up happening. This is why competition is always a good thing. :monster:

NeoCracker
01-25-2008, 04:52 AM
The only reason to care is if there is a PS3 price drop.

Cause GTA sucks.

KentaRawr!
01-25-2008, 04:56 AM
Not only that, but that the competition is going beyond advertisement at this point.

Momiji
01-25-2008, 12:36 PM
I'm not an FF fan anymore either. Not to the point that I'd join an FF Only forum, anyway. Things like that happen. I used to be an FF junky. :p

Anyway, that's good news if it ends up happening. This is why competition is always a good thing. :monster:

I'm not either. I just decided to stay because I have a lot of posts here. :)

Anyway, I'm not too excited for the new game (never played any of them before, I never was interested), but the price cuts will be nice.

JKTrix
01-25-2008, 12:56 PM
If you're not a final fantasy fan then why are you here?

A lot of stuff I've been saying lately sounds pretty harsh in hindsight :P

fan (făn)
n.

An ardent devotee; an enthusiast.

I meant 'fan' in the most literal sense. Didn't mean it as 'I don't like FF/GTA'. There's a handful of games/franchises that I am an 'ardent devotee' of, but everything else I play is because I like good games all around.

Trust me, if I'm not interested in something I won't dedicate any attention to it (games, forum threads, tv shows, whatever), which is why you rarely see me posting anywhere else on here. I have other things to do with my goof-off time @work :P

Like telling you guys of cool game-related stuff I find.

Chewy
01-31-2008, 10:05 PM
W00t! just pre-ordered GTA IV for £40 gonna get it on 28th April

Shiny
01-31-2008, 10:07 PM
It's about time!