PDA

View Full Version : MAYFAIR GET

Zeldy
01-27-2008, 11:00 AM
When was the last time you actually sat down and played a board game? I think they are so much fun! I was at a friends house for her birthday yesterday, and I spotted Monopoly and wouldn't rest until we all played it. Of course there was a fight over who was the dog, isn't there always? I ended up being the wheel barrow, though :(

I have to say I have never laughed so much. Whenever anyone would land on one of my properties I would scream it, for some reason I couldn't get it out of my head that Strand wasn't a street, it was just Strand but when anyone landed on it I couldn't help yelling 'STRAND STREET'

If you play Monopoly, apart from the obvious MAYFAIR, what sets of houses do you always aim for? I always seem to go for the red and pink sets, Pall Mall, Trafalgar street, STRAND STREET etc.

http://a354.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/124/l_e28dd175a8a24ff4fb4ec27fee1b5949.jpg
I had Trafalgar street and STRAND STREET but my friend had Fleet Street, I pleaded and pleaded :( She wanted £500 for it so I told her to bugger off.

So are you good at Monopoly or any other board game? Im rubbish, games like that and Frustration get me so worked up, I end up cheating or, if I lose, accuse everyone of cheating. I'm a terrible sore loser.

Captain Maxx Power
01-27-2008, 11:05 AM
http://a354.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/124/l_e28dd175a8a24ff4fb4ec27fee1b5949.jpg
I had Trafalgar street and STRAND STREET but my friend had Fleet Street, I pleaded and pleaded :( She wanted £500 for it so I told her to bugger off.

I can tell you're angry on account of your laser eyes. :radred:

Anyways, I'm usually quite good at boardgames primarily because I have an unhealthy obsession with numbers and patterns, so I can calculate pretty quickly in my head the optimum moves and likelihood of certain events. This is great for stuff like Monopoly since each part of the board has a certain chance that a player will land on it each turn (the reds, oranges and light blues are the most likely fyi). I utterly suck by comparison at anything that relies solely on tactics, such as chess.

blackmage_nuke
01-27-2008, 11:06 AM
i really like board games, particularly the ones that aernt luck based.

I always use to ship for monopoly

The last game i played was a month ago, it was chess.

Zeldy
01-27-2008, 11:09 AM
It's with having green eyes, I get really bad red eye ;__;!

Garnie
01-27-2008, 11:11 AM
yes we always do such as monopoly, Chess, poker etc

Sergeant Hartman
01-27-2008, 11:14 AM
Buy everything, it pays off, eventually.

blackmage_nuke
01-27-2008, 11:19 AM
It's with having green eyes, I get really bad red eye ;__;!
Does having Sharingan make you any better at the game?

Caraliz
01-27-2008, 11:28 AM
i play scrabble with just about anyone who will sit down and play it with me. :love:

Jiro
01-27-2008, 11:39 AM
I always pick the car in normal Monopoly. But I have Austalian Monopoly now, so I use the laptop.
Last time I played it was New Years Eve and I got whipped by my girlfriend. It was hilarious. I went to jail 6 times in a row.

41-Inches-Wide
01-27-2008, 11:45 AM
I may not have any idea on how to play monopoly but I can destroy you with my combo moves of double word and happy triple letter scores :heart:

scrumpleberry
01-27-2008, 12:14 PM
I like chess, but the rest of the world kicks my ass at it.

p.s. any and all forms of Monopoly are FABBY.

Board games are great because you can start chucking the pieces at one another once the entire thing falls into shambles and chaos.

Breine
01-27-2008, 12:50 PM
I have never played monopoly, but the Danish version, Matador, is also very fun, although I think it's slightly different from Monopoly. It's very time consuming, though, so you basically have to put off an entire afternoon to play the game.

Trivial Pursuit is also always a lot of fun, and is probably the board game I've played the most in my life. There's nothing like a game that mocks your lack of intelligence.

Captain Maxx Power
01-27-2008, 01:02 PM
O should mention the funniest boardgame I ever played was Atmosfear (called Nightmare in other countries). Me and my friend thought the Gatekeeper was the hammiest, unintentionally hilarious guy ever, and the game descended into chaos due to the sheer complexity of the rules.

Cz
01-27-2008, 01:44 PM
I played a game of Monopoly a couple of weeks ago with some friends. I had terrible luck on the first couple of circuits and ended up with only five properties, so I didn't last very long. I love playing board games though, especially in a big group. Risk and Scrabble are my favourites, but I'll play just about anything.

Old Manus
01-27-2008, 02:18 PM
I once had a monopoly set that was edible. Needless to say, we only played one game.

It tasted pretty bad.

There's no joke here. We actually ate it.

Heath
01-27-2008, 02:21 PM
I played Scrabble just last week and I've been trying to convince somebody to buy Risk to bring to Jack's house when a bunch of us go there on Thursdays because I imagine it would be suitably hilarious. Played Balderdash over Christmas which was fantastic and - if it counts - I also play the Monopoly game on those Itbox quiz machines they have in pubs once a week or so.

Faris
01-27-2008, 04:04 PM
At my birthday party. Bobby (TSoL), my friend Steff and I played Scrabble Jr. I have a picture of it, but I don't think I would be allowed to post it.

cloud21zidane16
01-27-2008, 04:58 PM
I love board games but i havent played any for a long while, no one can ever be bothered to play:(

Tavrobel
01-27-2008, 05:02 PM
Not less than a month ago I played Monopoly, Blockus, and many different versions of Scene-It with cousins. I always go for Green and Yellow, because this one has the best investment/payoff ratio, and is strategically awesome, due to their locations.

I operate solely on the MO to make other people screw up and not have fun. I never win, but that's not the objective. Although there was that few couple of times that I won without trying; quite literally. Winning is not my intent.

Cz
01-27-2008, 07:25 PM
BalderdashThis is a fantastic game. Some of the entries in movie rounds are the funniest things I've ever read. :up:

scrumpleberry
01-27-2008, 07:55 PM
O should mention the funniest boardgame I ever played was Atmosfear (called Nightmare in other countries). Me and my friend thought the Gatekeeper was the hammiest, unintentionally hilarious guy ever, and the game descended into chaos due to the sheer complexity of the rules.

I'VE PLAYED THAT!!!!

It was fabby.

Calliope
01-27-2008, 08:14 PM

There were four versions of Nightmare (with The Gatekeeper, Baron Zombie Something, The Witch and The Vampire), and then they relaunched a new board/system with Atmosfear - I had them all, and my friends and I had a lot of fun freaking each other out! I always played as Gevaudan the Warewolf. YES, MY GATEKEEPER!

Joe and I play chess, although I'm not very good at it, so he gets bored.

XxSephirothxX
01-27-2008, 09:10 PM
BalderdashThis is a fantastic game. Some of the entries in movie rounds are the funniest things I've ever read. :up:

Balderdash is the game in which you get points for coming up with fake definitions to trick people, right? That game was fantastic.

Board games are a lot of fun. I wish I had an opportunity to play them more often. Epic night-long battles of Monopoly and Risk are things I miss from my childhood.

Heath
01-27-2008, 09:52 PM

I have a habit of saying that films star Danny DeVito which apparently makes them more believable. But it is one of the most brilliant board games I've ever played. Though definitely one which is funniest between friends who know how far they can push the humour xD

Balderdash is the game in which you get points for coming up with fake definitions to trick people, right? That game was fantastic.

Yeah. Stuff like making up laws, what acronyms stand for, film summaries and whatnot.

Captain Maxx Power
01-27-2008, 09:56 PM
There were four versions of Nightmare (with The Gatekeeper, Baron Zombie Something, The Witch and The Vampire), and then they relaunched a new board/system with Atmosfear - I had them all, and my friends and I had a lot of fun freaking each other out! I always played as Gevaudan the Warewolf. YES, MY GATEKEEPER!

I can do a pretty good impression of the original Gatekeeper. I plan to get the DVD version at some point to try it out with my mates for jokes.

Caraliz
01-27-2008, 09:58 PM
Jojo, Sephex, ed, a few other people & I tried to play risk once ... it was very boring. lols, me and sephex just left early 'cos we were so bored. but it's a fun game, just not when you have that many people playing. xD

The Unknown Guru
01-27-2008, 10:28 PM
I really, really like Risk. Having a game based almost completely on strategy and diplomacy really appeals me, as it gives me an opportunity to out-think everyone else who's playing.

In practice, however, my terrible luck with dice always screws me over.

ReloadPsi
01-27-2008, 10:44 PM
Me, my mother, my older sister and sometimes my brother-in-law play Trivial Pursuit fairly often.

BB_blitz
01-27-2008, 10:54 PM
I really miss monopoly I haven't played in over a year I usually play the money bag and go for railroads and the utility's no real reason how ever I started going to a game shop and they have a board game night every sat. some games I have played and like are ticket to ride minila and race track

Sergeant Hartman
01-27-2008, 10:57 PM
mothersmurfer, lets play cluedo

Avarice-ness
01-27-2008, 11:24 PM
God, I've been trying to get my boyfriend to play a board game with me for like EVER.

It always ends up okay because instead we'll just play like super mario on two player mode together, so it's got the nostalgia and the same ammount of fun I'd have from a board game, and luckly for him, he's having the same fun too! :D