PDA

View Full Version : 25% system usage at all times, making my computer slow as hell

ReloadPsi
01-27-2008, 04:57 PM
Behold!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v681/diehure/taskmanagerisgay.jpg

A line graph showing my computer's memory usage.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v681/diehure/taskmanagerisgay2-1.jpg

I didn't edit this picture; those last two are allegedly the only two tasks active. The question is how the hell do I get round this? This has happened once before then just stopped for no particular reason.

To give you an idea of how much of an effect this is having even DOOM, the least demanding game on my entire computer keeps lagging and skipping every few seconds.

Help me with this please as it's happened before and is frustrating the smurf out of me.

Baloki
01-27-2008, 06:35 PM
Looks like a Windows background service is doing alot of processing.

ReloadPsi
01-27-2008, 06:51 PM
Looks like a Windows background service is doing alot of processing.

Yeah. Sometimes it just never stops.

rubah
01-27-2008, 07:59 PM
I always got the idea that system idle process was meant to fill up cpu usage to 100 whether it was or not xD

Momiji
01-27-2008, 10:13 PM
A while ago, my computer did that. Once I cleared out some of the unnecessary processes it went back down.

Do you use an Anti-Virus/Spyware program? That may be doing it, too.

crono_logical
01-27-2008, 11:12 PM
Poor device drivers or hardware generating huge amounts of interrupts to the processor can cause that, though it's not the most likely of things :p

Alternatively, tick the Show Processes From All Users box to see what other hidden system programs are using the rest before continuing - those numbers don't add up to 100 :p

Serapy
01-28-2008, 03:16 PM
Reformating your computer would be a better place to start. Don't ever install programs you think that may slow down your computer.

Spawn of Sephiroth
01-28-2008, 03:46 PM
My computer did that last week only mine ran at like 90 all morning and my computer got blocked from the college network because they thought I was downloading music.

crono_logical
01-28-2008, 04:41 PM
My computer did that last week only mine ran at like 90 all morning and my computer got blocked from the college network because they thought I was downloading music.In your case, it probably really is infected and was downloading something, since those blockings would be due to real network traffic generated and measured :p Go reformat your machine now :p

Spawn of Sephiroth
02-05-2008, 01:28 AM
My computer did that last week only mine ran at like 90 all morning and my computer got blocked from the college network because they thought I was downloading music.In your case, it probably really is infected and was downloading something, since those blockings would be due to real network traffic generated and measured :p Go reformat your machine now :p

It was infected. The computer guy helped me fix it when he was telling me about how much network i was taking up and stuff. So the problem was solved after I found that out.

Peegee
02-05-2008, 08:40 PM
Try process explorer (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653.aspx), which gives you more information than taskmgr.exe can ever hope to do.