PDA

View Full Version : A Pokemon MMORPG

Depression Moon
01-27-2008, 08:43 PM
Ever since Pokemon stadium was out I used to always wondered why Nintendo never made a true Pokemon game for a console. Not anything like the stadium games, but a real Pokemon game., but then recently I got the idea that maybe they should make an MMO for the series for the Wii of course. The series was all about trading and battling other people so it would make since to make it an MMORPG. What do you guys think?

Roto13
01-27-2008, 08:46 PM
I think that could actually be really cool.

Ouch!
01-27-2008, 09:14 PM
Around the time that Diamond and Pearl came out, I had many lengthy conversations with a friend regarding this possibility. There's potential in such an idea for an insane amount of awesomeness, but, at the same time, it could definitely become one of the biggest busts ever.

Heath
01-27-2008, 09:17 PM
A console-based version of Pokemon has been discussed by fans since about 1878 and I think it's definitely something that most people would want to see. I mean, as great as the handheld games are, you can't help but wonder whether they'd be able to be even better with a console version. After all, the Stadium games are basically a way to battle in 3D and not much else. I think that what Ouch! said is true in that such an idea has the potential to be awesome but it could also be a huge flop. I'd have more faith in the former though, to be honest.

Having said all that, even if a proper Pokemon game doesn't reach a console, I'm still more than happy to play the handheld versions because they're as great as they've ever been.

scrumpleberry
01-27-2008, 09:19 PM
YES.

I think it'd be super good. You could buy expansions with new pokemons and regions in as the handheld games were released.

Ouch!
01-27-2008, 09:22 PM
When my friend and I discussed it, we thought that it would be cool that when you pick your character you choose what region to start in. That choice would affect which pokemon you'd be able to choose from for your starter.

Skyblade
01-27-2008, 09:30 PM
Maybe we'd finally get the option to join Team Rocket too.

scrumpleberry
01-27-2008, 09:35 PM
I am loving this concept more and more by the second.

:kaoclove:

Vermachtnis
01-27-2008, 09:47 PM
I wish they would make a full 3D MMORPG, just so I can figure out how it is even possible to Surf on a Goldeen.

Tavrobel
01-27-2008, 09:58 PM
I wish they would make a full 3D MMORPG, just so I can figure out how it is even possible to Surf on a Goldeen.

Misty does it multiple times in the anime. The person wouldn't fit entirely, so they would have to partially submerged. But, Goldeen can still Surf.

I like where this is going. Pikachu + armor + skills == gg. OMG Mewtwo upgrade with his Giovanni armor OMG OMG OMG OMG I think I'm going to die. In a true MMO fashion, of course.

Vermachtnis
01-27-2008, 10:38 PM
That still would be funny. People surfing on Blastoise and Dewgongs and Lapris and I'll come by on my Goldeen *tweeeeeeeet*

It'd be awesome if things like Gyms and Elite 4 and stuff like that was player controlled.

scrumpleberry
01-27-2008, 10:48 PM
Battles would be tricksy to control if they were real time, though...

Bahamut2000X
01-27-2008, 11:02 PM
I had always hoped they would of done this. Better yet, if they made it I'd still play it. They would have to balance out a lot of the pokemon as some are vastly more stronger then others *coughlegendariescough*. But over all I think it has a lot of merit and potential if done right.

It'd be awesome if things like Gyms and Elite 4 and stuff like that was player controlled.

I thought about that before. But maybe have the 8 gyms in every region and what not as normal, but have player created gyms as well to the normal ones. It would be pretty cool battling player gyms for their badges and what not.

Laddy
01-27-2008, 11:23 PM
It sound totally win, it sounded like it wasn't my thing, but the more I hear, it dosen't sound bad at all. Do it, Nintendo!

Tavrobel
01-27-2008, 11:24 PM
I doubt that the legendaries would be as easily catchable as they are in their handheld incarnations. You'd have to do something really drastic or epic to have a meeting with them.

Somehow, I'm seeing this like the anime show, since there is a basis for somewhat realistic actions. Legendaries wouldn't really be catchable, and if they were, it's an immoral action. Player-established gyms could come from people with enough battle wins and good enough reputation (needs more Listchecker).

Where's RPG maker? Does that multiplayer functionality? We need this NOW.

Either way, it'd have to be pulled off very well. If they started making this, I would buy it. Twice.

Bahamut2000X
01-27-2008, 11:29 PM
Yeah I played with the idea of how to play the game way back when, and I was thinking that Legendaries would be un-catchable altogether. I mean it'd just be sad if you saw more then one Mewtwo running around. Battles would be real time and everyone could watch. Losing trainer battles would result in no penalties, your pokemon would remain at the same health they went in at, if not just being full in all PVP fights. And for the love of god have HUGE diversity on the pokemon running about, it'd be hard to make, but maybe even making it somewhat random on what's around, so getting a new type of pokemon being all the better. So it's kind of like the animes were early on, where they didn't have massive armies, but rather what they encountered. It would also make trading more necessary. Got yourself a Butterfree, but you would rather have a Krabby? Then trade with one who wants Butterfree or what not.

If they put the effort in it could be the most epic MMO ever.

Tavrobel
01-27-2008, 11:40 PM
Well, if you had multiple servers, you could have more than one Mewtwo. Although there is a precedence for more than one legendary. There do seem to be multiple Articuno, yet only two Moltres, and we have not seen Zapdos outside of the second movie. There was an episode with a Lugia and a Lugia child something in the fourth season I remember, yet legendaries besides Manaphy cannot breed; even then, it becomes Phione.

I would imagine that most battling would be PvP once you get to level 50 or higher. Pink Butterfree? Scarved Butterfree? Butterfree/Vulpix/Pikachu raised on Brock-brand-food? Ohh, sir, you have me titillated.

Epic does not begin to describe the possibilities. If you compared this to a normal MMO, there'd be 486 classes, each one having more than something of 1000 builds, personalities, special skills, and etc., whatnot.

Seriously. RPG MAKER NAO

Bahamut2000X
01-27-2008, 11:57 PM
Yeah I played with the idea of each pokemon being different too, much like the animes or newer games. Personally I would love it more if your party was more of chance on who you had and what you had, so you had to make use of them best as you can. As opposed to the real games where you just get the strongest and can form your group from EVERYTHING in the world once your far enough in.

LunarWeaver
01-28-2008, 12:01 AM
I'd get it just to use Psyduck constantly. And there would be no evolve. NONE :mastersha

I think it's a neat idea full of potential. I quite frankly and have never understood why Nintendo doesn't focus more energy on console Pokemon games.

Miriel
01-28-2008, 12:40 AM
I think that could actually be really cool.

Yes.

Back in the days when I was really into Pokemon, I'd have these trippy dreams where I'd visit a real Pokemon theme park. You'd go in and capture real live Pokemon. And sometimes I'd get mauled to death and stuff. >_> But yeah, MMORPG Pokemon would be neat. Although I imagine the fun of it would wear off fairly quickly given the demographics of Pokemon fans.

Mr Cactuar
01-28-2008, 01:04 AM
Does anyone here know of IV's, EV's, Smogon, breeding and basically competitive battling? Because all that stuff would really make it hard to make such a game.

Ashley Schovitz
01-28-2008, 01:05 AM
I don't think it would I usually don't like to pay for games monthly, but if this game does come into existence, I'll buy it. i don't think the fun would wear off for long as long as they add a lot of side quests and mini games to keep us entertained. They could make fishing very fun, like back when Ocarina of Time had it, I really liked it especially when a caught a big one. I guess they could also have surfing and flying races, and make the safari part less stupid. it would be funny though to see someone get chased by a Rhyhorn after they threw a rock at it.

.:kerrod:.
01-28-2008, 01:24 AM
best.idea.ever.....well, one of them :rolleyes2 but i wouldnt wanna pay for it monthly -_- still, i think the ideas here are great, especially choosing your region (oh typhlosion, we shall be together soon)

Bahamut2000X
01-28-2008, 01:26 AM
Just by going off the anime so much could be done as far as content besides battling and training.

You could fish, you could race, you could breed, you could enter various other competitions. There's a plethora of ideas for an MMO here, much more so then other MMO's typically go off of.

Really I think this could be a well made game if they spent the time developing it and not just throwing it together like so many other MMO's seem to do with their content. Really I think they might make this if they saw reason so, i.e. enough fan support voicing it. Really if someone got Nintendo to realize the game would have support just from the MMO community let alone the already existing fans of the game itself, they might attempt it. At least if their head guys had half a brain they would see there was money to be made here. >.>

KentaRawr!
01-28-2008, 01:28 AM
Makes sense, really. But they'd need a lot of world for that, wouldn't they? And I wonder, would it have a single player experience similar to that of the Handheld games, but played through an online world?

It could work, methinks.

Markus. D
01-28-2008, 01:40 AM
Legendaries could totally be the endgame... uncatchable. But guarding some hideously powerful chests xD? I donno.

Would it be a PvP orientated game?

Tavrobel
01-28-2008, 01:41 AM
Does anyone here know of IV's, EV's, Smogon, breeding and basically competitive battling? Because all that stuff would really make it hard to make such a game.

Yeah, and the Exile EVortex Shield, Hellfire Torch, and Stones of Jordan are totally and fully intended to be PvM.

They'd be factored into the game. What else do you think training Pokemon would be for? :skull::skull::skull::skull:s and giggles? PvP would be more or less very similar to what it is currently. I can't imagine how it would not be. All you do is add equipment, a server, and twelve year olds, and bam, you have a Pokemon MMO. It's already an RPG, in case you have not already noticed. The basis for a system is already in existence.

.:kerrod:.
01-28-2008, 01:49 AM
this makes me wanna play diamond and pearl, but i dont have a DS :( and there are no decent emulators out there for the computer :rolleyes2

Bahamut2000X
01-28-2008, 01:49 AM
They would need to strike a balance on PVP and PVE I think. PVP of course is probably what most people would strive for, whether it be in battling or competing in other things such as a breeder tournament or beauty contest. But there needs be a level of PVE to make it not needing other people all the time. That would also probably end up being one way to train, and of course to capture new allies.

Over all as I said it has a lot of things already, it'd just be a matter of if the devs aren't lazy, and do it right.

Azure Chrysanthemum
01-28-2008, 01:53 AM

Actually that's really not the case at all. All of those could be written into the game mechanics without problems.

I've been saying they should make this for years now, it'd be a breath of fresh air for one of the stalest franchises in the industry. Seriously, the game really hasn't changed substantially since its early incarnations. It feels thoroughly dated. And hell, I still LIKE the series.

Anyway, this is what I've been saying should be necessary for a good Pokemon MMORPG game.

1. ALL Pokemon able to be captured in the wild. This means legendaries, starters, what have you. Honestly, starters should be fairly common, since they're routinely given out to fledgling trainers, and it breaks verisimilitude if there are pokemon that don't appear in the wild but random trainer A has.

2. And on the subject of Legendaries - Raids. Legendaries are massive quests that take a bunch of trainers to complete, but part of the reward is eggs for the legendary pokemon. Established canon indicates that legendaries can indeed breed and have eggs (for the most part), but we can't just let someone breed legendaries normally. Thus, legendaries only breed under certain special conditions, and if you go through a large raid to take one down, you can get one.

3. Player-controlled Gyms and Elite 4. This should be a major prestige thing, and Gym Leaders could have multiple pokemon tiers for lower-level challenges and the like if necessary. This gives a huge player control aspect to it.

4. Different servers are different regions, allow travel between the servers of course, and have certain pokemon more prevalent in certain regions, and some absent from some regions entirely.

5. Keep competitions and the like in the game.

6. Ability to set up one's own residence, pokemon breeding place, pokemon laboratory, what have you.

7. Various ways to make money that don't involve ganking it from other trainers (although allow the placing of money on the outcome of a pokemon match).

8. Real-time combat system.

9. While making Team Rocket or whatever is a good idea, stealing pokemon from other trainers is NOT. However, allow people to make guilds and other poke-organizations to do whatever. Although really, various teams would likely be PvP-based.

Can't think of anything else, but yeah. If they made it right, it'd be pretty sweet.

Bahamut2000X
01-28-2008, 02:11 AM
I think void pretty well organized everything out well.

Only thing I'm still iffy on is the legendaries. That is easily one of the hardest things to make work. I mean being able to use them WOULD be cool, but then the problem comes down to if they make them as powerful as a legendary is supposed to be, and well that would just take the fun out of the game. That's what kind of killed end-game for older pokemon games for me, the legendaries were tougher then anything I had to start, and just got tougher as they leveled.

I kind of think more along the lines of how SE handled FFXI and summons such as Bahamut. Their storyline related, but summoners can't summon them as they would have to reduce the power of Bahamut significantly and thus would kill his role of being so powerful story-wise. So instead they made him story only and a boss fight rather then tarnish his name by being summoned by every summoner and no where near holding the title of King of the Dragons.

Though I'm iffy on that whole subject cause I never cared much for the legendaries and how they replaced my entire party. :p

1. ALL Pokemon able to be captured in the wild. This means legendaries, starters, what have you.

And sweet jeebus yes! I've been wanting that forever in the series. I hate how un-diverse the population of areas are in the game. Let alone the different types "Oh joy it's ANOTHER flying/normal/bug type....oh how wonderful. Get in line.".

escobert
01-28-2008, 02:14 AM
Around the time that Diamond and Pearl came out, I had many lengthy conversations with a friend regarding this possibility. There's potential in such an idea for an insane amount of awesomeness, but, at the same time, it could definitely become one of the biggest busts ever.

I agree it could be really awesomely fun but it could really suck too.

Skyblade
01-28-2008, 02:34 AM
Why not just restrict legendaries? Only one legendary allowed in a 6 Pokemon party. If you then have mostly double battles, people won't just be able to go through with nothing but legendaries, as most of the legendaries can be type trumped by a couple powerhouses, especially since most of their attacks are single target moves. Combine that with only acquiring them through endgame raid type situations, and you'd have no trouble keeping people from overusing the legendaries.

Evastio
01-28-2008, 02:37 AM
If Nintendo does make another Wii Pokemon game I think they should have Shadow Pokemon and Cipher in it. They'd have trainers all over the world trying to purify all Shadow Pokemon that Cipher get their hands on. It might get confusing with a whole bunch of people playing it on Wi-Fi and defeating all of the Cipher Admins before other people do but I'm sure that Nintendo could work something out. I really liked the idea of Cipher (who make Team Rocket, Magma, Galactic, and Aqua look pathetic) and how they hardened their Pokemon's emotions to the point where they have none. They add so much depth to the stories of the games they're in and with Wi-Fi, it's sure to be really successful.

Tavrobel
01-28-2008, 03:04 AM
Only thing I'm still iffy on is the legendaries. That is easily one of the hardest things to make work. I mean being able to use them WOULD be cool, but then the problem comes down to if they make them as powerful as a legendary is supposed to be, and well that would just take the fun out of the game. That's what kind of killed end-game for older pokemon games for me, the legendaries were tougher then anything I had to start, and just got tougher as they leveled.

Maybe place restrictions on when and where they can be used. Uber tower of uber Pokemon usage? Molten Core for Moltres? It'd be one of those things you have to try real hard to do. I think Skyblade said 1 per team, which also sounds balanceable.

Perhaps an incentive to use normal Pokemon more commonly, such as EV and IV caps? Or a kind of victory bonus used, like the Honor system (though, in its current incarnation, the Honor system is in shambles). I'd say that the legendaries would have much more trade value, as opposed to practical use. After all, the best team is the one that can be used most effectively.

HAH DID YOU GET THAT LOL I COMBINED WOW AND POKEMON IM SO GENIUS *dies laughing*

Competitions and tournaments. Sounds godlike, frankly. With all of the possible options, such as Beauty or Skills, I don't think anyone would have much of a boring time. The solving of money problems could be tied to a secondary skill, such as Nut growing (yes, I know that sounds perverted). Sell them for fun and profit. Berries, Potions, whatever. Pokemon can be used to help acquire in-world items to make stuff, too. I'm certain that some Pokemon, such as Grass types would be excellent healers/potion makers, or Rock and Steel types can be used to find things for Crafting. Electric Pokemon could be used for powering cities.

If this were on the Wii, this could so be exercise oriented. Snowboarding + skiing + Ice Pokemon. You know you want it.

I wonder what the 4th Generation Legendary Pokemon raid areas would be like. One of them screws with time, so I'm thinking impossible objects, like in DII's Arcane Sanctuary. Arceus is supposedly the Alpha Pokemon, so, we need some Bible goodness there.

More ideas, anyone?

Ohh, and on one last note, we need the Orange Island gyms. They were my favorite, because they weren't just battles, but practical applications, too. A race to the finish with those Ice Pokemon would win so hard down that giant mountain. Which episode was that where Ash had to make that ice boat and slide his way to victory? I should know this, I watched it yesterday.

Ouch!
01-28-2008, 04:30 AM
Aye, completely aware of that stuff. Are you aware of how much number crunching goes into people playing MMO's? Managing stuff like IV's and EV's in particular would hardly be anything new to the MMO scene.

Mr Cactuar
01-28-2008, 05:39 AM
Aye, completely aware of that stuff. Are you aware of how much number crunching goes into people playing MMO's? Managing stuff like IV's and EV's in particular would hardly be anything new to the MMO scene.

I know that. That's not the point I was trying to get across. I'd say about 80% of the Pokemon lovers and players are either not aware of such things or just don't care, or are kids. If you ever go to the Smogon forums, you will know how elitist some of them are, and how serious some of them take Pokemon.

I have mixed feelings about a Pokemon MMO. While I think such a thing could be awesome there is just so much that could go wrong, and the community would be horrible. Kids+elitist pros = $@#$!

Azure Chrysanthemum
01-28-2008, 06:04 AM

I know that. That's not the point I was trying to get across. I'd say about 80% of the Pokemon lovers and players are either not aware of such things or just don't care, or are kids. If you ever go to the Smogon forums, you will know how elitist some of them are, and how serious some of them take Pokemon.

I have mixed feelings about a Pokemon MMO. While I think such a thing could be awesome there is just so much that could go wrong, and the community would be horrible. Kids+elitist pros = $@#$!

Well, to be fair, when is an MMO community NOT a giant cesspool of humanity? You just gotta find the right crowd to run with.

Oh, and on the subject of legendaries, make an indicator above every trainer's head for the amount of legendaries they're packing in their team at that exact moment (probably allow a certain level of information just by checking someone out, so you can get an idea of the level range of their pokemon). That'll keep the use of legendaries down, while battling with legendaries can be fun, people tend to want to use other pokemon, so they just wouldn't get challenged/have their challenges accepted a lot.

Dolentrean
01-28-2008, 06:04 AM
I haven't played pokemon in ages, but I really liked it, and still do when I think back. I think this idea could be great.

Cz
01-28-2008, 04:23 PM
I haven't cared about Pokémon in ages, and I would play the hell out of this game. And it's so workable too, as Void showed. Why this hasn't been done yet is a mystery.

qwertysaur
01-28-2008, 04:27 PM
This idea is made of win. :p I would want to be a gym leader.

starseeker
01-28-2008, 07:01 PM
This could be really cool. I'd like the ability to choose factions like in Oblivion.

Tavrobel
01-28-2008, 07:47 PM
If you ever go to the Smogon forums, you will know how elitist some of them are, and how serious some of them take Pokemon.

My dear God. That sounds horrible! That almost sounds like PEOPLE.

Have you not ever used the internet?

Well, to be fair, when is an MMO community NOT a giant cesspool of humanity? You just gotta find the right crowd to run with.

I've found those types of "right crowds" and they still have jerks in them.

I wouldn't say it's a cesspool. There's just something about that word that just isn't severe enough.

Madame Adequate
01-28-2008, 07:53 PM
I've been wondering for some time now why this game does not exist.

JKTrix
01-28-2008, 08:30 PM
Because Nintendo does not like to make money.

Really though, Nintendo is very concerned about internet harassment. The whole 'Friend Code' rubbish and not being able to see people's names and quotes in random matches on Smash Bros Brawl are all part of their scheme to protect kids from pedophiles and junk. So that is likely a huge hinderance to a true MMO of any kind from Nintendo.

Mr Cactuar
01-28-2008, 10:58 PM
If you ever go to the Smogon forums, you will know how elitist some of them are, and how serious some of them take Pokemon.

My dear God. That sounds horrible! That almost sounds like PEOPLE.

Have you not ever used the internet?

I've found those types of "right crowds" and they still have jerks in them.

I wouldn't say it's a cesspool. There's just something about that word that just isn't severe enough.

Yes because normal people would take something like Pokemon that seriously! Most gamers don't, because it's just Pokemon. I enjoy it for the simplicity of it but how fun it can still be to play.

Yes pretty much every MMO's community sucks ass, but I just think that if a Pokemon MMO was made the community would be as bad as Runescapes.

And then if Nintendo made it they'd censor it so much it wouldn't really be an MMO. Put into the right hands, this could be a great game, but I still don't think it could be done.

Tavrobel
01-29-2008, 03:07 AM
Yes because normal people would take something like Pokemon that seriously! Most gamers don't, because it's just Pokemon. I enjoy it for the simplicity of it but how fun it can still be to play.

Yes pretty much every MMO's community sucks ass, but I just think that if a Pokemon MMO was made the community would be as bad as Runescapes.

Yeah. I guess you're right. Sup DDR? Sup Guitar Hero? Sup Diablo II and every Blizzard game ever made? I should ignore those, shouldn't I? Sup Final Fantasy series with your games and people hating each other for liking a particular game? And a hello to you too, Zelda. Well, she's just getting it on with Mario and Sonic, that's why every one likes her. She gets around, damnit.

No, these communities would not be described as worse or better. The word that does describe an MMO community is not something that can be modified. It's like the word unique. "Unique" is unique. It can't be "more or less unique" or "very unique." It just simply is. You can't add an adjective to a word that means "one and only one." This is what describes the MMO community. And it is a unique word.

qwertysaur
01-29-2008, 03:31 AM
There could be separate servers for the "hardcore" and for the normal players.

Tavrobel
01-29-2008, 04:02 AM
There could be separate servers for the "hardcore" and for the normal players.

Yeah, and there's a difference between true hardcore and "I call myself hardcore." Although that would be incredibly disappointing if it were Hardcore in the Diablo II sense. If your Pokemon loses, it loses forever MUAHAHAHA *insert evil here*.

Mr Cactuar
01-29-2008, 08:40 AM

Yeah. I guess you're right. Sup DDR? Sup Guitar Hero? Sup Diablo II and every Blizzard game ever made? I should ignore those, shouldn't I? Sup Final Fantasy series with your games and people hating each other for liking a particular game? And a hello to you too, Zelda. Well, she's just getting it on with Mario and Sonic, that's why every one likes her. She gets around, damnit.

No, these communities would not be described as worse or better. The word that does describe an MMO community is not something that can be modified. It's like the word unique. "Unique" is unique. It can't be "more or less unique" or "very unique." It just simply is. You can't add an adjective to a word that means "one and only one." This is what describes the MMO community. And it is a unique word.

Are any of those game's target audiences kids? (Other then Mario and Sonic to an extent)

No.

Skyblade
01-29-2008, 05:51 PM
Journey to the Cerulean Cave:

We were warned to stay away, that Pokemon of terrible power dwelled in the cavern, and didn't appreciate outsiders. But we pressed on. The battles were tough. We were far from the safety of the Pokemon centers, and even our well stocked bags of items were running low. Our Pokemon were exhausted, and though we tried our best, we simply couldn't keep them all in perfect health. Still, we pressed on. Finally, we reached the final chamber of the cave. In the back was the nest of Pokemon eggs we sought. But, there, between us and our prize, we saw the Pokemon we'd read about in Cinnabar. The one which had destroyed the Cinnabar lab with ease. The genetically engineered Mewtwo. And it saw us.

Also, the thing about legendaries not breeding is simply not true. The games have been vague about how breeding works in any case, since no one has ever seen a Pokemon lay an egg. The likely case is that legendaries refuse to breed in captivity, preferring the safety of their own nests. Which are very safe indeed, given how well guarded they are.

Bahamut2000X
01-29-2008, 06:31 PM
The likely case is that legendaries refuse to breed in captivity, preferring the safety of their own nests.

Actually I think it was just the game designers not wanting you to breed an army of Mews and Mewtwos. :p

Tavrobel
01-29-2008, 08:05 PM
Are any of those game's target audiences kids? (Other then Mario and Sonic to an extent)

No.

To an extent? That's one real understatement. Only Diablo II of those mentioned has thus far garnered a Mature rating.

Nothing stops them from buying these games (like the people actually sell the games give enough of a damn), and it doesn't mitigate the fact that it has happened. Like little kids have anything better to do, compared to teenagers, who DO have something to do (and whether that be loaf, emo it up, or whatever else is irrelevant).

Marketing != consuming.

Actually I think it was just the game designers not wanting you to breed an army of Mews and Mewtwos. :p

Well, technically, there should only be one Mewtwo (and technically, one Arceus). Several legendaries seem to have multiple incarnations, as I've pointed out. Do the D/P lgenedaries have only one incarnation? There seem to be some kind of exception because those Pokemon control Time and Space (iirc).

Lynx
01-29-2008, 08:18 PM
if this was made itd be the first MMORPG i ever played not too mention the first pokemon game i played in 5 years.

Bahamut2000X
01-29-2008, 08:24 PM
Actually I meant from a game play stand point, nothing story related. >.>

Azure Chrysanthemum
01-29-2008, 08:55 PM

Well, technically, there should only be one Mewtwo (and technically, one Arceus). Several legendaries seem to have multiple incarnations, as I've pointed out. Do the D/P lgenedaries have only one incarnation? There seem to be some kind of exception because those Pokemon control Time and Space (iirc).

Some legendaries seem breedable. It's entirely possible you could make a story arc about Mewtwo cloning himself to alleviate his lonliness, and those who prove themselves to him are entrusted with the care of an infant of his species.

Arceus could be captured through handwavey time/space dimension stuff.

Most the other legendaries I think have multiple incarnations and are just extremely rare.

Another limiter is that players may only have 1 of each legendary or the pokemon preservation force starts getting on their case and confiscates stuff. Or simply have the special egg drop only if you don't own a legendary. Probably also make legendaries un-tradeable since they won't obey anybody who hasn't earned their respect.

Tavrobel
01-29-2008, 09:52 PM
If anyone needs a reference point on Legendaries (http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Legendary_pokemon).

I like where this is going.

Skyblade
01-31-2008, 02:36 PM
Anyway, I've been thinking this through in my spare time. An MMO Pokemon UI is actually fairly easy to create. The menu system would be broken down a lot since it would pretty much have to move from turn based combat to real time combat, but most of it is easily solved. A six button selector for pokeballs, click once to summon a Pokemon, click again to dismiss, and you are only allowed so many Pokemon at one time. Each Pokeball button could also display a health bar and small status indicators.

You'd only need to display about eight moves at once, if we're keeping the standard Pokemon moveset of four moves for Pokemon (which I think we should), so move bars would only change when Pokemon learned new abilities or switched out. I figure new moves would be handled similar to Diablo's level process. Rather than forcing you to choose immediately, you wait and assign moves after combat ends, since battles in real time will be more hectic. You'd also need a health/exp bar for your currently selected Pokemon, so that you could monitor them a little more closely.

Moves would have to be totally revamped, since combat is moving from turn based to real time, but I don't think it would suffer too much. We already have attacks of varying speed, such as Quick Attack or charge up attacks like Solar Beam. We also already have some AoE attacks, so, while the move system needs some revamping, it could be done.

The only potential problem I've hit is the trainer. Pokemon centers are essentially rez points, and you're taken there after all of your pokemon faint. But how do we force the combat? A wild Pokemon sees you and it force summons your first slot Pokemon? That's the best solution I've seen so far, but I'm not entirely happy with it.

Azure Chrysanthemum
01-31-2008, 07:49 PM
Anyway, I've been thinking this through in my spare time. An MMO Pokemon UI is actually fairly easy to create. The menu system would be broken down a lot since it would pretty much have to move from turn based combat to real time combat, but most of it is easily solved. A six button selector for pokeballs, click once to summon a Pokemon, click again to dismiss, and you are only allowed so many Pokemon at one time. Each Pokeball button could also display a health bar and small status indicators.

You'd only need to display about eight moves at once, if we're keeping the standard Pokemon moveset of four moves for Pokemon (which I think we should), so move bars would only change when Pokemon learned new abilities or switched out. I figure new moves would be handled similar to Diablo's level process. Rather than forcing you to choose immediately, you wait and assign moves after combat ends, since battles in real time will be more hectic. You'd also need a health/exp bar for your currently selected Pokemon, so that you could monitor them a little more closely.

Moves would have to be totally revamped, since combat is moving from turn based to real time, but I don't think it would suffer too much. We already have attacks of varying speed, such as Quick Attack or charge up attacks like Solar Beam. We also already have some AoE attacks, so, while the move system needs some revamping, it could be done.

The only potential problem I've hit is the trainer. Pokemon centers are essentially rez points, and you're taken there after all of your pokemon faint. But how do we force the combat? A wild Pokemon sees you and it force summons your first slot Pokemon? That's the best solution I've seen so far, but I'm not entirely happy with it.

I'd like to see an increase in move limit to make it more in-line with the anime and give the pokemon more options.

I'd also keep the respawn points out, and just have aggressive pokemon that will attempt to attack you and force you to bring something out to counter it. Possibly allowing fainted and resting pokemon to recover through inactivity as well, or whenever you get in a trainer battle you end up fairly screwed if you're the loser, wherever you are.

Of course, if you're wiped out and have nothing left to battle an aggressive pokemon with, a respawn might not be a bad idea, that'd be a good way to just get you back and away from danger, at any rate.

And also: EXPERIENCE AWARDS FOR PVP! FOR THE LOVE OF GOD!

Tavrobel
01-31-2008, 10:57 PM
Well, perhaps in movesets, you could determine, from a list, which four skills to use in that battle. It'd have to be pre-determined, something like an AP system when it comes to skills. However, four is not quite nearly enough, in my opinion, something like six or right would be more like it. Alternatively, attacks could have completely new effects or synergies. Since there is a shift from TBC to RTC, attacks would have to be much more offense oriented, or status effects need to be able to either apply more than once, or have a longer duration/effect. 1/16 HP is not spectacular at all. I'm thinking that when you use Water Gun and Thunderbolt, there should be some kind of combination damage. It happened in the anime.

However, if moves were kept similar to their current incarnations, such as charge-up skills, you could provide a bonus for using them, an incentive, as it were. Defense bonus when using Solarbeam? You already have Sunny Day where it can fire every turn. Environment would cause quite the strategic application, and become that much more important. Things like Surf, which is totally unrealistic in inland sorts of places, could have a second effect.

Perhaps in the terms of forced summons (no, not Reiju marks), your lead Pokemon would be the one on the field with you at all of those times. I would like to render a comparison to the Kingdom Hearts series. The Keyblade still appears when Heartless show up, and it does not go away until the next screen. But either way, you can still keep on running. Attacks like Mean Look and Roar would have a greater influence, as well.

PvP probably needs to have its own realm of sorts. You can't just walk up to someone and say hey, let's battle, pwn all his Pokemon and run off! Sure it works in the anime, but that is because most Pokemon when defeated are not truly defeated. They are defeated when the trainer says that they are defeated or it is clear that they are not battle-ready. That being said, you could have arranged matches, or some kind of option that says you are willing to accept battles. In Diablo II, characters from level 1-9 are not allowed to engage in duels at all. This could be transferred to allow new trainers time to develop. Maybe from level 1-20, there would be no battles, except on those rare occasions (such as the Little Cup in Stadium 2, or the Petit Cup in the original).

Respawn points I believe would already be covered in Pokemon Centers. If anything, they are already free heals. Would it be feasible that there would have to be come kind of wait or delay whenever you are using a Pokemon Center? People with more injured Pokemon or lower levels should have greater priority over others, perhaps, to keep things balanced. Once you are at level 100, I doubt that you would need to fight wild Pokemon to level grind. Dueling Pokemon could operate on a free heal basis that takes place at a designated time, and only outside of Centers. This would eliminate the fear of running around without an active Pokemon, but it would also reduce the spontaneity of normal games.

Then again, you could just make a healer dedicated team. Chanseys, Blisseys, Mews, and Recover/Roost/other heals users would be a hot commodity, with PP allowances. That being said, PP healing moves, if ever introduced would also be great to have. I'd suggest PP-leech, but we have the Pressure ability to cover that.

Obliviously, my ideas are much more in tandem with a traditional MMO, so forgive me. I do have to agree that PvP EXP bonuses should be one of the benefits for PvP. After all, these battles are much more involved, challenging, and in a way, satisfying. Some moves could also have alternate functions for PvP. That being said, I've never actually bothered to use Roar, and sill do not understand how competitors use it strategically. Tell me to watch all the matches in the world, I still think Rattata at level 1 (yes, I know it has an uberkill move) is better than forced Pokemon resends. Self-exchange skills, however, I see as a very ownage type buff.

Anyways, something people have not quite touched upon, is missions. Maybe it's a little obvious that people should mimic the games, such as "save my Pokemon" or "Irish up that coffee." However, what other missions could there be to have people more involved in games? Certain Pokemon types could perform specific functions (as if they don't already!) to help a trainer out. Though I am loathe to suggest it, crafting and other subskills would provide for money.

I could only imagine what water Pokemon activities would be like. Fishing, surfing, racing, diving, ohh it just makes me wet all over (pun so totally intended). Flying anyone? Ghost Pokemon prankstering! Ohh, yes! Yes yes! Jigglypuff. Nothing operates these days without some kind of karaoke or guitar element.

Strawberry_Mew
02-08-2008, 05:14 AM
That would be flipping kool. I love Pokemon <3

JKTrix
02-08-2008, 12:33 PM
Straight from the Horse's mouth (http://www.gamespot.com/news/6185358.html): It ain't gonna happen.

Though he doesn't address Pokemon directly, Iwata says

...The virtual-world services out there now still aren't at a place where we'd like to join in--and certainly not to the point that we'd want to jump into competition with everybody else. We'd rather focus on doing things that nobody else would do.

It's nice to dream though.

Loony BoB
02-08-2008, 01:06 PM
What I don't understand is why other companies haven't caught onto this, though. I mean, Pokémon has a monopoly right now. Digimon dented it slightly back in the day with it's TV series, but not to a major extent. Nevertheless, it showed that people will look to other brands. So why hasn't Jade Cocoon or Digimon thought about this?

Rocket Edge
02-08-2008, 03:30 PM
I have always thought this. I think the idea of a game like this would be fantastic. As BoB stated, how companies haven't caught onto this is beyond me, it not as if the game would sell millions upon millions, because it would.

I've always thought a Pokemon game, in a Final Fantasy style of battle system & gameplay, would be truely brilliant.