PDA

View Full Version : Can books gain as much hype as movies or games?

Depression Moon
01-27-2008, 08:59 PM
One of the things I love most in life are books. They bring me into another world and broaden my mind giving me knowledge the give stories on a level that a lot of movies can't. With so many books being so great and all, do you think we'll ever see the day when books and novels will gain as much hype as upcoming movies, TV shows, music albums, and video games? The last person to do this to a certain level was JK Rowling but since she's finished with the series there's nothing else for readers to get into. I hope that one day novels will attain as much recognition as the mediums from above.

I Don't Need A Name
01-27-2008, 09:04 PM
i love books.
i got in a debate one time where some guy was like 'books cant surprise you or get you excited, they are just boring'
well its obvious he cant read
you gotta love em :up:

scrumpleberry
01-27-2008, 09:08 PM
Lack of hype doesn't really stop you from enjoying a good book.

El Bandito
01-27-2008, 09:21 PM
The Da Vinci Code
Middlesex
Kite Runner
Life of Pi
Water For Elephants

All of those books off the top of my head received tremendous amounts of hype. Maybe not as much on TV, but by word of mouth everyone around me couldn't stop talking about them once they came out. Even people who didn't read books ended up reading and raving about some of them.

Heath
01-27-2008, 09:22 PM
I think the Harry Potter books certainly provide evidence that books can receive as much hype, if not more, than many films and computer games. They are, obviously, a rather special case. I think that a lot of books receive hype such as when a particularly acclaimed author releases a new book (Stephen King, for instance) but beyond the more popular authors, books only tend to receive hype in specific literary or thematic circuits. I don't think that reflects badly upon books, but when it comes to getting people hyped up about them being released, it just isn't that widespread.

However when a book is released and gets good reviews by critics of television personalities (such as Oprah or Richard & Judy), the book obviously receives a certain boost in popularity and undoubtedly creates hype about a certain book or author. However it's important to remember that hype is no guarantee or quality and that even if books get more or less exposure in future, I'm sure there will still be a consistent stream of good books in the future. Even if the only way you find out about them is from word of mouth or from reading book reviews in newspapers or something.

Ouch!
01-27-2008, 09:24 PM
A Dance with Dragons better live up to the hype. D=<

Avarice-ness
01-27-2008, 10:06 PM
The books with the most hype end up movies, so yeah. It depends on how much spotlight is given to a book, if the book sells well and has the fanbase and funds, they'll make a movie and essentially when that movie does well other movies tend to follow suit in the same general "genre" because they know people will go see it.

So in that sense, many books actually influence the hype of movies and games.

Germ Hamee
01-27-2008, 10:24 PM

Yeah, I was thinking along the same lines. George RR Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire books gain a tremendous amount of hype in the fantasy community every time there's a new book released. It's not anywhere near the level of hype Harry Potter received, but it's up there.

Breine
01-28-2008, 03:39 PM
Hyped books of the top of my head:

- The Harry Potter series
- The Da Vinci Code
- The Kite Runner

.. sure, books can gain as much hype as movies and games, if in some cases not more.

Garnie
01-28-2008, 03:40 PM
i have a Harry Potter book addiction!
i can't help it!
;_____;

Depression Moon
02-07-2008, 10:41 PM

- The Da Vinci Code
- The Kite Runner

.. sure, books can gain as much hype as movies and games, if in some cases not more.

I don't believe there was any hype for the Davinci Code it was more of controversy because of the whole religious thing. Harry Potter's passed like I said, I never heard of the Kite Runner so that says something.

DK
02-07-2008, 10:49 PM

Of course it will.

Ouch!
02-07-2008, 10:53 PM

Of course it will.
The series always exceeds my wildest imaginings, but A Feast for Crows set a new level of awesome using the crappiest characters in the series. A Dance with Dragons is going to be flipping epic.

Breine
02-07-2008, 10:54 PM

- The Da Vinci Code
- The Kite Runner

I don't believe there was any hype for the Davinci Code it was more of controversy because of the whole religious thing. Harry Potter's passed like I said, I never heard of the Kite Runner so that says something.

Nope, there was hype.. but it probably got all of the hype because it was controversial. It was some kind of a mix between the two.

And also, not everybody knows who Angelina Jolie is, but that doesn't make her any less famous - meaning, that just because you haven't heard of "The Kite Runner" it doesn't mean it wasn't hyped.

Ouch!
02-08-2008, 02:52 AM
The Kite Runner was over-hyped as some life-changing story that would forever shift my perspective on the world around me.

Bull.

Namelessfengir
02-08-2008, 03:32 AM
legacy of the force

jacen goes darkside, kills his aunt, becomes sith

Zeus
02-08-2008, 08:11 PM
One of the things I love most in life are books. They bring me into another world and broaden my mind giving me knowledge the give stories on a level that a lot of movies can't. With so many books being so great and all, do you think we'll ever see the day when books and novels will gain as much hype as upcoming movies, TV shows, music albums, and video games? The last person to do this to a certain level was JK Rowling but since she's finished with the series there's nothing else for readers to get into. I hope that one day novels will attain as much recognition as the mediums from above.

Books were the :skull::skull::skull::skull: before televisions. It's true, what else did our forefathers have to do besides hitting the sheets every 19 mins?

I hear what you're saying, and I agree, as a writing I want my books to gain some popularity before I die (ie the dude who wrote The Lord of The Rings). I guess we'll never really see the day when novels or books become hyped. Harry Potter enjoyed success because it was orginal and involving and plus kid friendly. Big boys don't read books as much as they used to back in 1916. With video games, the internet and tv, books are just not that appealing. Oh and we mustn't forget sex, there's a good way to kill time.

Nominus Experse
02-08-2008, 09:21 PM
I would say yes, but it's usually not to the extent of the next stupid generic comedy movie, which, quite frankly, is rather sad.

Rianoa
02-12-2008, 06:23 PM
:rolleyes2 im not a book lover im still only half way through russell brands my booky wook i just cant b bothed

rubah
02-12-2008, 11:46 PM

Hype is transitory, so you can't write it off by saying 'okay it's done'

The phantom menace had a lot of hype, but you'd still compare it even though it was nine years ago this may.

Bashini
05-21-2008, 05:45 AM
It is highly improbable that books will gain the same sort of rabid hype that movies, music, and games gain in more frequency. I would love it if people read more and watched video stuff less, but I am not holding my breath.

Brennan
05-27-2008, 04:13 AM
(ie the dude who wrote The Lord of The Rings).

J.R.R. Tolken?

I read those books umpteen times