PDA

View Full Version : What's your favorite messaging service?!

Avarice-ness
01-27-2008, 11:29 PM
Mine's MSN, although everyonce in a while I'll sign on AIM because I miss it but then I get tired quickly and get back on MSN.

I like MSN 'cause the comment box and the display pictures, also the handwriting function 'cause sometimes I'll draw pictures at people.

I like AIM solely because of the idle and away functions. I usually sign in on Away on msn but most people know I'm there, but when I'm not they're shocked, luckly most of them would have me on AIM and then realize I havn't touched the computer in 6 hours. XD

I can't stand Yahoo for the life of me, I may have used it once since I was 14. :rolleyes2

So which messenger is your favorite and why? What would you do to make it better if it's not good enough already? :D

Roto13
01-27-2008, 11:47 PM
MSN is great if you patch it to oblivion. Yahoo sucks, though.

rubah
01-27-2008, 11:50 PM
well, the client I use is adium, pretty nice.

My favorite service, well they're all rather similar. aim seems to have the best transfers, but you can leave offline messages with y!m,but adium will store messages until I or they are signed on again, so it's moot. AIM I guess.

Denmark
01-27-2008, 11:51 PM
I talk to the most people on MSN (all folks from here of course), but I'm on AIM all the time just in case someone from RL wants to contact me (which happens occasionally). I'm always away on AIM though, even though I'm very often NOT away. Sometimes my away message is a conversation-starter (I NEVER use "I am away from my computer right now" as an away message, and I despise it), often it tells what I'm doing, and it's a chance for me to be witty and creative. I don't put up an away message; I craft one. Also it's one of the main ways my parents gain information about my life. Yes, they use AIM.

I also like MSN because it's where I talk to a number of people from EoFF, plus all the reasons Greed-ness mentioned.

Yahoo is just terrible in comparison.

I Took the Red Pill
01-27-2008, 11:51 PM
AIM by far. It's so simple and unobtrusive, and file transfer is a piece of cake on it.

edit: oh yeah, obviously I'm not using anything above AIM 5.9, because that Triton stuff is garbage.

Bahamut2000X
01-27-2008, 11:53 PM
The old AIM. I hate the new one. Y!M wasn't too bad either. Though I hardly get on them unless I'm looking to talk to someone specific. I tend to get stalked by a few people I'd rather not talk to. :shifty:

Caraliz
01-27-2008, 11:54 PM
msn lately. aim has so many stupid features, that if i use it, i only use version 5.1 or whatever. none of that aim v. 6-7 nonsense for me~~

but i talk to most people on msn. i like the handwriting feature too, and the display pictures are a lot nicer. then again, for aim the away message is nice, and the personal profile...

but on msn i always am away and i can still talk to people from away, which i like.

so i dunno, but probably msn. not yahoo, of course. xD

XxSephirothxX
01-27-2008, 11:55 PM
I use Trillian, so it doesn't matter much to me. AIM's plugin seems to be the most reliable. MSN as a service is more feature-rich than AIM or Yahoo, but the actual messenger is plagued by so much random bull:skull::skull::skull::skull: it's really horrible. But as a Microsoft program that's not especially surprising.

Jess
01-28-2008, 12:02 AM
MSN. If I'm online, I'll be on MSN.

I don't really use any of the others. I use Skype occasionally if somebody wants to voice chat~ :jess:

LunarWeaver
01-28-2008, 12:04 AM
MSN, I guess. I only get on it to talk to one person in the early AM hours. It doesn't really matter to me because I don't need fancy magenta pants features, just text.

Aerith's Knight
01-28-2008, 12:15 AM
msn

ReloadPsi
01-28-2008, 12:47 AM
Yahoo is kinda clunky and troublesome just for logging in, and AIM is AOL related and I refuse to touch it. ICQ is a pain and I don't know anyone that even uses it anyway, though some aspects of it were fun... if only I could remember what.

MSN.

escobert
01-28-2008, 02:05 AM
Msn I'd say.

Orestes
01-28-2008, 02:07 AM
MSN, though most of the people I talk to are on AIM.

blackmage_nuke
01-28-2008, 02:36 AM
I like msn the most but i dont know why people dont like yahoo. I dont use it as much as there arent as many people online but i still like it.

Roto13
01-28-2008, 03:10 AM
I hate it because no matter what computer I'm using, no matter where I am, no matter what account I'm using, no matter what IM client I'm using, Yahoo CONSTANTLY fails to deliver messages, and doesn't tell me so until 5 minutes later, and usually only if I check the message window myself.

Plus, for a while you could send people little Madonna animations complete with sound bites. That's just wrong.

BardTard
01-28-2008, 03:25 AM
Yahoo!!! *is addicted to online chatting*

The Summoner of Leviathan
01-28-2008, 03:26 AM
Mostly MSN. If I am IMing, most likely on MSN. Sometimes I just stay as "Appear Offline" and only IM those I want to talk to. Occasionally I use AIM, more so to sign in for a bit and see if anyone interesting is on.

41-Inches-Wide
01-28-2008, 03:44 AM
I always log in on MSN the second I go online.

Freya
01-28-2008, 03:57 AM
I always log in on MSN the second I go online.
MSN lets me be able to be social with joo eoffers :D

Yamaneko
01-28-2008, 03:58 AM
I don't chat anymore, but when I did I'd use AIM.

Mirage
01-28-2008, 04:05 AM
I use IRC. If I need to contact PC nubs, I use MSN. MSN is also okay for voice/video chats, I suppose. File transfers on MSN are complete fail though, because of the lack of a resume feature.

Martyr
01-28-2008, 05:05 AM
aim

kamari-ice
01-28-2008, 05:08 AM
I like to use Trillian. I don't like opening up multiple IM clients just to chat to people. So, I use Trillian to keep all my contacts all in one place. :)

Ouch!
01-28-2008, 05:48 AM
I use Adium.

Lynx
01-28-2008, 07:13 AM
AIM i have yahoo also but i havent used it in like 2 years.

Jiro
01-28-2008, 07:18 AM
MSN is what my friends use, so that's what I use. It gets annoying having to manage several windows but you get used to it.

Roto13
01-28-2008, 02:02 PM
I think it's the patch at Mess with MSN Messenger: msn emoticons msn names display pictures download (http://www.mess.be) that allows you to use one window for all of your MSN chats. Tabbed chatting. :P

Breine
01-28-2008, 04:33 PM
MSN. It's easy and it's the one everybody seems to be using.

Yuffie514
01-30-2008, 05:40 AM
I use AIM since I have more people to chat with. I only chat with two friends on Windows Live Messenger.

Casey
01-30-2008, 06:30 AM
I don't really chat online anymore- but there's myspace... But I don't really like myspace either. MSN is good.

Jowy
01-30-2008, 11:21 AM
IRC as the preferred chatting medium, however mostly everyone I talk to uses AIM.

cloud21zidane16
01-30-2008, 01:30 PM
MSN, everyone i know uses it and its just so simple.

Loony BoB
01-30-2008, 03:46 PM
The member of Eyes on Final Fantasy that is known as Loony BoB and has a userid of 22 and is currently feeling happy and would like to just make a shout out to his good old mate Dan says:
I like to use Yahoo! Messenger, AIM and IRC.
The member of Eyes on Final Fantasy that is known as Loony BoB and has a userid of 22 and is currently feeling happy and would like to just make a shout out to his good old mate Dan says:
So long as you know what you're doing, then Y!M is not a problem.
Set it to the Classic skin, for a start - this solves most of the problems people might have with the thing. Then just minimise the crappy bits and it looks fine and dandy, just like it did years ago.
The voicechat and webcam facilities are superior to those used on MSN, easily. Particularly voice conferences. I detest MSN's version of voice conferences.
If I have to talk to someone on MSN, I use Y!M, thanks to the new functionality between the two systems, which is great.
It means I don't have to bother logging into Trillian anymore, just to talk to people on MSN.
The things that I need, Y!M provides.
This includes nicknames, offline messages, secure archives, mail alerts (Y!Mail > Hotmail), an effective invisible mode (although I don't use that these days, admittedly), a lot of friends on the list...
...and perhaps most importantly, much like all decent messaging systems, it doesn't put what you're saying below a freakishly long username that is constantly changed so you never know who the bloody hell you're talking to.
IRC is good for chatrooms - obviously.
AIM is good for file exchanges, especially if you use the direct transfer function. That's lovely.
MSN is annoying on too many levels. I can't understand the conversations people quote to me. You lot are just lucky that this post, at the least, is not a conversation and just me making a point with a single username. Good for you.

TRANSLATION
BoB: I like to use Yahoo! Messenger, AIM and IRC.
BoB: So long as you know what you're doing, then Y!M is not a problem.
BoB: Set it to the Classic skin, for a start - this solves most of the problems people might have with the thing. Then just minimise the crappy bits and it looks fine and dandy, just like it did years ago.
BoB: The voicechat and webcam facilities are superior to those used on MSN, easily. Particularly voice conferences. I detest MSN's version of voice conferences.
BoB: If I have to talk to someone on MSN, I use Y!M, thanks to the new functionality between the two systems, which is great.
BoB: It means I don't have to bother logging into Trillian anymore, just to talk to people on MSN.
BoB: The things that I need, Y!M provides.
BoB: This includes nicknames, offline messages, secure archives, mail alerts (Y!Mail > Hotmail), an effective invisible mode (although I don't use that these days, admittedly), a lot of friends on the list...
BoB: ...and perhaps most importantly, much like all decent messaging systems, it doesn't put what you're saying below a freakishly long username that is constantly changed so you never know who the bloody hell you're talking to.
BoB: IRC is good for chatrooms - obviously.
BoB: AIM is good for file exchanges, especially if you use the direct transfer function. That's lovely.
BoB: MSN is annoying on too many levels. I can't understand the conversations people quote to me. You lot are just lucky that this post, at the least, is not a conversation and just me making a point with a single username. Good for you.

Seraphic
01-30-2008, 04:56 PM
I used to exclusively use Yahoo because I think it has the best voice chat option,none of this 'hold a button and record your message' type of business like msn does.
But I don't use it anymore since no on else that I know does,lol.
I would like AIM if the emoticons didn't suck beyond belief.
I hardly use it anymore even though most of the people I know use it.
MSN is the way to go for me now,especially since you can actually create emoticons yourself and all the other features arent too shabby.
I never used to like MSN because it would always boot me off the internet,but that problem seems to be fixed now D:

Nominus Experse
01-30-2008, 09:00 PM
MSN because I am lazy and don't much care. It does what it's supposed to - for what I use it for anyway - so I see no real reason to bother with anything else.

Blue Harvest
01-30-2008, 09:15 PM
MSN. I never use aim or yahoo anymore because they suck beyond belief.

Galadrius
01-31-2008, 03:06 AM
I don't use any messenger service; they are silly. I just use MySpace to talk to people, or my cell phone.

Apollo
01-31-2008, 06:14 AM
AIM fer sure. It's just more convenient because all my friends use it.

Ouch!
01-31-2008, 06:36 AM
Despite the fact that I've already posted in this thread, I just read the title as "What's your favorite massaging service?!"

Answer: Indonesian blind masseuse.

Loony BoB
01-31-2008, 10:45 AM
So far a lot of people have said Y!M and "anything but MSN" suck, but I don't recall any people giving their actual reasoning for it. Maybe this is just a natural bias. Personally, I think more than anything, it's that people are too lazy/oblivious to download different software and use it. They see MSN on their Windows install and they just use that, and because of this, everyone else does too. It's rather sad. It's a terrible system, and to my knowledge all it's flaws are easily rectified by using another system. Y'all are lazy, nothing more, nothing less!

Blue Harvest
02-01-2008, 09:18 PM
Actually I've used all 3 and yahoo and aim suck balls when compared to msn and all it's glorious features.

Polaris
02-01-2008, 09:20 PM
I use msn is enough for me I just chat with my brother or bf daily so I don't really care :)

Roto13
02-01-2008, 10:03 PM
So far a lot of people have said Y!M and "anything but MSN" suck, but I don't recall any people giving their actual reasoning for it. Maybe this is just a natural bias. Personally, I think more than anything, it's that people are too lazy/oblivious to download different software and use it. They see MSN on their Windows install and they just use that, and because of this, everyone else does too. It's rather sad. It's a terrible system, and to my knowledge all it's flaws are easily rectified by using another system. Y'all are lazy, nothing more, nothing less!

It's a terrible system that can be easily fixed with a couple of patches. Yahoo just sucks because it's a horrible, unreliable service.

Also, that "freakishly long user name" you were complaining about is mostly the fault of the person you're talking to, and partially your own fault. My MSN name is just my real name. Everyone else's name on my list is their own real name, because I gave them all nicknames.

nicknames, offline messages, secure archives, mail alerts (Y!Mail > Hotmail), an effective invisible mode (although I don't use that these days, admittedly), a lot of friends on the list...

MSN has all of these things. (Also, Gmail > than Y!Mail AND Hotmail. :P)

Loony BoB
02-01-2008, 11:29 PM
Gmail is terrible because it's alternative to folders is frankly horrendous. Other than that, though, the entire system is a ripoff of Y!Mail.

You shouldn't have to patch a messenger service to make it work. I still don't see what people are complaining about Y!M for, though. Horrible? Unreliable? How? It's more reliable for me than MSN is, that's for sure. And yes, I know how reliable MSN is because Danielle uses it. I'm assuming you're talking about connections, because I don't know any other thing that you can say is unreliable about a messenger service.

Also, MSN does not have a quality voice conferencing system.

Serapy
02-01-2008, 11:52 PM
I use Trillian, so it doesn't matter much to me. AIM's plugin seems to be the most reliable. MSN as a service is more feature-rich than AIM or Yahoo, but the actual messenger is plagued by so much random bull:skull::skull::skull::skull: it's really horrible. But as a Microsoft program that's not especially surprising.

Same here. I vote for Trillian.

Xander
02-02-2008, 12:28 AM
MSN, always preferred it to any other, but recently I use macs so I had to download mac messenger and it has no inking and this makes me VERY :(

So to improve, messenger with inks for the mac please, I'm missing so many pictures right now ;(

I pretty much only use msn at work these days though.

Roto13
02-02-2008, 01:25 AM
Gmail is terrible because it's alternative to folders is frankly horrendous. Other than that, though, the entire system is a ripoff of Y!Mail.

Because Yahoo email is somehow unique and creative in some way? Maybe it's changed, but when I tried it out years ago it was pretty much the same thing as Hotmail, except faster.

You shouldn't have to patch a messenger service to make it work.

MSN works fine without patching, but if you do patch it you can make it great. Tabbed chatting, custom statuses, skins, no ads, etc.. Honestly, I'm surprised with how reliable MSN is. It's like Microsoft actually somehow managed to make something that works.

I still don't see what people are complaining about Y!M for, though. Horrible? Unreliable? How? It's more reliable for me than MSN is, that's for sure. And yes, I know how reliable MSN is because Danielle uses it. I'm assuming you're talking about connections, because I don't know any other thing that you can say is unreliable about a messenger service.

I hate it because no matter what computer I'm using, no matter where I am, no matter what account I'm using, no matter what IM client I'm using, Yahoo CONSTANTLY fails to deliver messages, and doesn't tell me so until 5 minutes later, and usually only if I check the message window myself.

Zeromus_X
02-02-2008, 02:37 AM
I used to use MSN, but my friend started me on using AIM recently.

Arc_Master_14
02-02-2008, 02:57 AM
Always been AIM i make accounts for other things but never have stayed on for more than a week or so. I even have an App on my Ds for AIM

mooglebunni608
02-02-2008, 03:07 AM
AIM. Well, technically I have iChat, but still, it works as AIM.

Ichimonji
02-02-2008, 03:15 AM
MSN. Because all my friends have it, and it's what I've used since 2000.

Loony BoB
02-02-2008, 11:05 AM
Because Yahoo email is somehow unique and creative in some way? Maybe it's changed, but when I tried it out years ago it was pretty much the same thing as Hotmail, except faster.
You know Gmail's look? That's Y!Mail's look. :p Y!Mail changed to it about... six months before Gmail came out. I couldn't believe how insanely similar they were. I thought there would be a lawsuit out or something. And no - Hotmail is a load of crap and I never could stand it. I can't remember Y!Mail being like that, but then, I can't remember what Y!Mail looked like seven years ago either.

MSN works fine without patching, but if you do patch it you can make it great. Tabbed chatting, custom statuses, skins, no ads, etc.. Honestly, I'm surprised with how reliable MSN is. It's like Microsoft actually somehow managed to make something that works.
Tabbed chatting is something I personally dislike so I don't know if you can do that with Y!M. Custom statuses, skins? Both default options on Y!M. No ads? Admittedly, there is one ad at the bottom of Y!M but I never notice it. It's very non-intrusive, sort of like having an ad at the bottom of a webpage that you just disregard. There's probably a patch to get rid of that too but it's not worth the bother to me.

I still don't see what people are complaining about Y!M for, though. Horrible? Unreliable? How? It's more reliable for me than MSN is, that's for sure. And yes, I know how reliable MSN is because Danielle uses it. I'm assuming you're talking about connections, because I don't know any other thing that you can say is unreliable about a messenger service.

Funny, that's the exact reason I dislike MSN. xDDD I've not had that happen with Y!M for donkey years. All my messages get through, although Jess and I had some trouble with her MSN and my Y!M talking to each other for a short while when they first started allowing the systems to talk to one another. No problems since then, though, so I figure they've fixed it.

~*~Celes~*~
02-02-2008, 06:09 PM
msn and skype ftw =D

Fuzakeru
02-02-2008, 10:09 PM
I prefer AIM since that's the client everyone on Bleachforums uses and it makes it easier to hosts chats there. I kinda like the newer version of AIM myself since I'm usually juggling eight IMs and a chatroom and the single screen for them all keeps everything organized for me.

I signed on to MSN the other day and saw a bunch of people of EoFF on but I'm too shy to IM anyone from here anymore it seems. D:

Quindiana Jones
02-02-2008, 11:03 PM
I use MSN Web Messenger because it's nice and simple.

Shauna
02-02-2008, 11:39 PM
I read this as "What's your favourite massaging service?!", and I got all excited about massages. I am now disappointed.

But, I use MSN mostly - I have Y!M, AIM and Skype. DOn't really use them though.

snacks
02-03-2008, 03:12 PM
Loyal aim user for years and years.

I have msn, but I mostly like aims away service. (The box~)

But I use older aim, I have no time for bloatware. Especially when I already have an OS as bloatware ;D

scrumpleberry
02-03-2008, 06:55 PM
MSN

1. Handwriting.

2. All my buddies use it.

Bartholomew
02-03-2008, 07:48 PM
My favorite is talking to people face to face.

Roto13
02-03-2008, 09:13 PM
My favorite is talking to people face to face.

Then go talk to people face-to-face.

Bartholomew
02-03-2008, 09:16 PM
I didn't tell you to go use AIM when you said you liked to use AIM. Or whichever one you said. So rude.

Jowy
02-03-2008, 09:55 PM
http://www.regressionx.com/wow/Images/troll-rogue.gif

Christmas
04-01-2023, 01:58 PM
Any of these are still been used by the dinosaurs here?

Loony BoB
04-01-2023, 03:11 PM
I can confirm that I continue to think, even after all these years, that MSN was trash. :D

These days I use Discord for most of my chats, with the exception of Facebook Messenger for keeping up with my family, and a couple of people still message me on WhatsApp.