PDA

View Full Version : How many of you Americans pay your taxes?

The Shoeless Hobo
01-28-2008, 02:33 PM
...Just wondering. :p

fire_of_avalon
01-28-2008, 02:53 PM
I do. I have to do taxes soon. And financial aid apps. UGH.

Bahamut2000X
01-28-2008, 02:57 PM
Pay? I don't pay, they rip all the taxes they could ever want from my pay checks every week.

escobert
01-28-2008, 04:20 PM
I live in the highest taxed state in the USA >:(

Madame Adequate
01-28-2008, 06:18 PM
Income tax witholding kinda means they have to.

Martyr
01-28-2008, 06:21 PM
ya

XxSephirothxX
01-28-2008, 06:23 PM
Yeah, it's not so easy to just decide not to send in your taxes. The IRS will get you. :p

Orestes
01-28-2008, 07:35 PM
I heard that if you day pay your taxes, the government gives you an Audi.

http://www.justinbevans.com/Art/Painting/Oil/Painting_PeterGriffin.jpg

Yamaneko
01-28-2008, 08:42 PM
Income tax is criminal.

Roogle
01-28-2008, 08:55 PM
I cannot see any American user of this web site having the ability to dodge taxes.

Araciel
01-28-2008, 09:08 PM
Taxes? What is taxes?

Madame Adequate
01-28-2008, 09:31 PM
Income tax is criminal.

Elaborate.

oddler
01-28-2008, 09:41 PM
I cannot see any American user of this web site having the ability to dodge taxes.

Tavrobel
01-28-2008, 09:42 PM
Income Social Security tax is criminal.

Fixed.

That being said, I don't pay taxes.

Denmark
01-28-2008, 09:47 PM
Income Social Security tax is criminal.

Fixed.

You have a mildly valid point. I wish to subscribe to your periodical.

They all should.

rubah
01-28-2008, 09:55 PM
oh snap fasfa.

I've filed taxes twice. One federal and one state when I had a summer job. i had to pay in money to the US government, but I got money from the arkansas state government^_^

I'm not certain if I have to pay taxes on my scholarships this year or not. I think I probably do. :(

edczxcvbnm
01-28-2008, 09:58 PM
You could always go 1099 and not have withholdings and the invest the extra money then pay your taxes at the end of the year and make a slight profit on the interest :D

Avarice-ness
01-28-2008, 10:02 PM
Normally when I do my taxes I just get all the money taken out of my paychecks back or atleast the majority percentage.

So I pay taxes by working because the tax automatically comes out of my paycheck.

My dad pays taxes though, only because he makes more than a certain threshold therefore he pays taxes instead of getting money like me.

Yay for crappy jobs! :D

Shiny
01-28-2008, 11:42 PM
Stupid FAFSA.

*throws tea into these posts*

Tallulah
01-28-2008, 11:47 PM
Normally when I do my taxes I just get all the money taken out of my paychecks back or atleast the majority percentage.

So I pay taxes by working because the tax automatically comes out of my paycheck.

My dad pays taxes though, only because he makes more than a certain threshold therefore he pays taxes instead of getting money like me.

I had no idea the US had a system of Pay As You Earn, as we do here in the UK.

I regularly get clobbered for £30-odd (about $60) worth of tax a week, plus about £10 council tax (monthly; I get a discount for living alone). Boo. :mad:

Avarice-ness
01-28-2008, 11:58 PM

I had no idea the US had a system of Pay As You Earn, as we do here in the UK.

I regularly get clobbered for £30-odd (about $60) worth of tax a week, plus about £10 council tax (monthly; I get a discount for living alone). Boo. :mad:

Yeah, well it also depends on the state. I lived in Texas and didn't have State Tax so the federal tax was like nothing from my paycheck, so even when I'd have a 300$ paycheck and not to much would come out of it. In Wisconsin they have state tax and my gross ammount was 161$ and I ended up getting thirty dollars out.

But yeah, really you only -pay- after you earn is when you earn to much money. :D

Martyr
01-29-2008, 12:28 AM
oh snap fasfa.

I've filed taxes twice. One federal and one state when I had a summer job. i had to pay in money to the US government, but I got money from the arkansas state government^_^

I'm not certain if I have to pay taxes on my scholarships this year or not. I think I probably do. :(

Don't quote me - I don't think anybody at your school or in your gov't even knows me, you know - but I think you only need to pay tax on scholarships for continuing education, like Master's degrees and whatnot.

Avarice-ness
01-29-2008, 12:30 AM
oh snap fasfa.

Don't quote me - I don't think anybody at your school or in your gov't even knows me, you know - but I think you only need to pay tax on scholarships for continuing education, like Master's degrees and whatnot.

I'm not sure about that, only because I actually got tax forms for my student loans in Wisconsin but not in Texas because Wisconsin has state tax and Texas doesn't.

Martyr
01-29-2008, 12:32 AM
Well, I never got any loans. I paid taxes on everything I earned, of course, when I was going through school, but I didn't get taxed on my scholarships. I know that. Otherwise my taxes would've been a hella lot higher.

But yeah, different states mean different rules, so who knows.

The Summoner of Leviathan
01-29-2008, 12:34 AM
I am not American, but I will answer. I, like many students do, get money back on income tax instead of having to pay income tax.

KentaRawr!
01-29-2008, 01:33 AM
That question, when posed to this site, may as well be "Are you one of the older or younger members of this page? :monster:"

No, I do not. No job just yet.

The Shoeless Hobo
01-29-2008, 01:47 AM
I heard that in American, is not illegal to not pay your (income(i think)) taxes. It's against he bill of rights or something. Am i somewhat correct?

Avarice-ness
01-29-2008, 01:53 AM
I heard that in American, is not illegal to not pay your (income(i think)) taxes. It's against he bill of rights or something. Am i somewhat correct?

What?

I think you get tax time and paying taxes confused with the taxes that come out of your paycheck.

If you make more than a certain threshold of money for your gross year, you will owe the government money thus paying your taxes.

If you make under this threshold, you will get the money that was taken from your paychecks back, essentially with a small percentage taken out.

Not all people even file their taxes, like if they worked at a pizza place for a month and did nothing else for a year, because they may get like 56 backs and for some reason it may not be worth it to them.

Aerith's Knight
01-29-2008, 01:54 AM
i dont have to pay any for the six months im there

Serapy
01-29-2008, 02:09 AM
I wonder, does God ever pay his taxes?

Avarice-ness
01-29-2008, 02:11 AM
I wonder, does God ever pay his taxes?

Technically since the church pays taxes.

Shlup
01-29-2008, 02:39 AM
You can't just not pay your taxes.

Tavrobel
01-29-2008, 02:41 AM

We aren't complete retards, dude. We already tried the "we can't tax you" thing. Guess how it worked out. Either way, there is a process for the Federal Government to levy taxes. It's all over the place. The Bill of Rights (which are corrections, not replacements) do not mention anything about taxes, unless you took the meaning of the ninth and tenth amendments to their fullest and literal extent, which inherently is also unconstitutional, due to the protection of the people from the government.

Sure you don't have to. Stop working. Collect welfare; that's like, the opposite of taxes.

People can also avoid, in part, taxation when contributing to charitable organizations.

Avarice-ness
01-29-2008, 02:42 AM

I'm still confused on what the question is though.

Wether we pay taxes in bulk at tax time?
or
Wether taxes come out of our paychecks when we get paid?

rubah
01-29-2008, 02:59 AM
I think it refers to filing tax returns.

snacks
01-29-2008, 05:53 PM
I don't not not pay my taxes.

escobert
01-29-2008, 06:00 PM
and yes you can not pay your taxes its called working under the table :P

Lynx
01-29-2008, 06:23 PM
i pay my taxes cant wait to get my money back from it. also apparently anyone who payed so much in taxes last year is going to get a government grant between may and july. 0$-$300 im told. paying taxes is paying off... sort of.