PDA

View Full Version : The secret behind the phoenix down

DreamingOfAFantasy
01-28-2008, 06:15 PM
I've been wondering for a long time what is the secret behind the "phoenix down" in all the Final Fantasy Games. I's there any basic meaning of why they chose to call it "phoenix down".

BardTard
01-28-2008, 06:17 PM
It's used to revive a character. A phoenix always comes back to life when it dies. The down part? I don't know, probably because you don't have any HP. Not much of a secret behind it, is my guess.

Martyr
01-28-2008, 06:19 PM
Down is another term for feather.

Thus:

How do you get down off an elephant?
You Can't! You can only get down off a duck. (or a phoenix, maybe?)

Also, like, down pillows or mattresses. Comfy cuz of feathers.

Ya. And so it's the idea that the feather from a magical bird that constantly dies and respawns will have the power to bring a person back to life at least once.

I was going to make up an elaborate lie, but the truth came too quick

Quindiana Jones
01-28-2008, 06:26 PM
End of thread.

Parker
01-28-2008, 06:33 PM
DO phoenixes remember thier previous life when they are reborn because living forever would get old and living an infinite amount of different lives would also suck.

I would hate to be a pheonix

Martyr
01-28-2008, 06:37 PM
DO phoenixes remember thier previous life when they are reborn because living forever would get old and living an infinite amount of different lives would also suck.

I would hate to be a pheonix

Birds are some of the absolute dumbest animals on the face of the planet. I'm sure that a phoenix doesn't remember eating breakfast less past lives or dying and being reborn.

It's probably pretty though.

Apparently parrots can be as smart as 3 year old humans. Whatever. If that's smart, then every animal is retarded. Either way, living forever with an eternal memory would be no sweat.

Parker
01-28-2008, 06:46 PM
Why is there a baby phoenix on FF7 there would be absolutely no need for a phoenix to breed. They are the dumbest mythical creature ever and whoever imagined them should be persecuted.

Also living forever with eternal memory would SUCK.

Quindiana Jones
01-28-2008, 06:54 PM
This is over-thinking gone MAD!

When is someone gonna jump in and bring up religion?

Martyr
01-28-2008, 06:57 PM
Phoenix is a myth that represents new life. Many authors have, in the past used it as a symbol representing either being born again or Jesus himself.

Either way, the idea of perishing in fire (like this world one day will be because of sin) and then being born anew, greater and more brilliant and more beautiful than ever (like this world will one day be because of Jesus Christ) is such a powerful image that in modern literature, the Phoenix and the Rapture are almost inextricably combined.

Madame Adequate
01-28-2008, 07:19 PM

You could not be more wrong.

Parker
01-28-2008, 07:20 PM

You could not be more wrong.

Elaborate.

Old Manus
01-28-2008, 08:34 PM
*moves to in-depth discussion of mythical creatures forum*

rubah
01-28-2008, 10:06 PM
Fawkes the phoenix is pretty smart:D

Ouch!
01-28-2008, 10:11 PM
Fawkes the phoenix is pretty smart:D
I was thinking the exact same thing.

Avarice-ness
01-28-2008, 10:11 PM
Well, birds have down feathers.
Phoenix's are mythical birds who arise from the ashes.
So their down feathers can arise other people when fallen.

The End.

Quindiana Jones
01-28-2008, 10:13 PM
You'd think, but for some reason this thread A) hasn't been moved into General Final Fantasy, and B) hasn't been closed.

It's like Lost, in thread form. Job done, no need to keep it alive. Unless someone changes the topic to a discussion on mythical creatures/phoenixes.

The Summoner of Leviathan
01-28-2008, 10:37 PM
Phoenix downs do not revive characters from the dead, they merely act as an agent by which they regain consciousness.

Avarice-ness
01-28-2008, 10:48 PM
Phoenix downs do not revive characters from the dead, they merely act as an agent by which they regain consciousness.

Depends on the games, the earlier games used the words "fallen" then it went to "K'O" and fallen is another word for dead.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
01-28-2008, 11:08 PM
In the Japanese games, the term is "sentou funou," which literally means "combat impossible."

Bahamut2000X
01-28-2008, 11:16 PM
In the Japanese games, the term is "sentou funou," which literally means "combat impossible."

I just knew Kishi would pop in here sooner or later and blow our minds.

blackmage_nuke
01-28-2008, 11:17 PM
I think the real question is what they do with the phoenix down

Do they smell it? Do the rub it against the person? Do they have to swallow it? Is it a suppository?

Bahamut2000X
01-28-2008, 11:20 PM
Do the rub it against the person?

Oooo dirty thoughts. ;)

Avarice-ness
01-29-2008, 12:15 AM

Do they smell it? Do the rub it against the person? Do they have to swallow it? Is it a suppository?

I think in the games where they have fallen the touch of the feather will revive them.

In the games where they get KO'd I think the touch of the feather will make them come too, kind of like smelling salts only... more special.

Martyr
01-29-2008, 12:25 AM

I think in the games where they have fallen the touch of the feather will revive them.

In the games where they get KO'd I think the touch of the feather will make them come too, kind of like smelling salts only... more special.

Now THAT is dirty.

rubah
01-29-2008, 12:28 AM

Depends on the games, the earlier games used the words "fallen" then it went to "K'O" and fallen is another word for dead.

in the earlier games you had to go to a magic circle or a priest to be revived anyways.

Gilthanes
01-29-2008, 03:56 PM
What really blows your mind is when in FF1 you are traveling and encounter a really nasty group, all but 1 of your group dies and he hobbles back to town to get the whole group ressurected.

How the hell is he carrying 3 unconscious bodies, or I dunno I picture like a little red wagon with 3 bodies piled up being tugged along behind

After that game, Square obviously liked the idea of mythical smelling salts of a dead bird of legend to awaken fallen allies, rather than succumb to outfitting parties with a little red wagon to carry their fallen back to town

Serapy
01-29-2008, 04:55 PM
The name confuses me!

Phoenix Down? Why can't it be at least Phoenix Up? :rolleyes2

Aerith's Knight
01-29-2008, 05:13 PM
fallen or KO doesnt matter.. fallen can mean dead.. but it can also mean passed out.. its all about how you look at it. And of course you cant have them being revived from the dead.. because that would just be a PR nightmare.. so they changed it to K.O.

rubah
01-29-2008, 05:50 PM
The name confuses me!

Fenix Down looked better than Fenix Fthr. imo

Kawaii Ryűkishi
01-29-2008, 06:21 PM
The Japanese name translates to "Phoenix Tail," which would fit just as well.

NeoCracker
01-29-2008, 07:16 PM
I move "Phoenix Down" should be changed to Go Juice.

Momiji
01-29-2008, 10:35 PM
And if all of this is the case, what is Phoenix Pinion? A bunch of feathers or something? *too lazy to look the word up*

Kawaii Ryűkishi
01-29-2008, 10:58 PM
Pinions are the outermost flight feathers on a bird's wing.

BG-57
01-30-2008, 02:40 AM

If in fact Pheonix Downs do nothing but wake up a person with 0 HP, smelling salts would more accurately describe their function. The pheonix carries connations of resurrection from death and rebirth that many of the games are trying to get away from with hedging terms like K.O. and Faint. I guess the continuity of item names took precedence over other considerations.

Momiji
02-01-2008, 03:19 AM
Pinions are the outermost flight feathers on a bird's wing.

Oh, I see.

Odaisé Gaelach
02-01-2008, 05:19 AM

Close with "rubbing it". The KOed character gets tickled with the feather. Preferably on the feet.

.:kerrod:.
02-01-2008, 09:56 AM
The name confuses me!

please tell me you're kidding, if not, i will hunt you down and give you a friendly bop on the forehead, you silly goose! :rolleyes2

As for how to 'apply' the phoenix down, have you never played a final fantasy? all you have to do is think about who's going to get it, give it a slightly homosexual flick into the air and it'll turn to magical sprinkles and fall on the person you want...geez, it's simple logic :rolleyes2 :D

Serapy
02-02-2008, 08:17 PM
I'm not kidding :( Also, why can't it be Phoenix Left or Right as well??

Tallulah
02-02-2008, 09:43 PM
Down is another term for feather.

Oh. I suddenly feel so silly... :eep: I thought it was down as in 'the opposite of up' as well...

Why is there a baby phoenix on FF7 there would be absolutely no need for a phoenix to breed.

Wasn't that... a baby condor?

02-03-2008, 12:20 AM
ugh, did you even read the rest of the thread?! :p this is for all y'all:

'DOWN' IS A TYPE OF FEATHER FOUND EITHER ON A BABY BIRD OR UNDERNEATH THE LARGE FEATHERS OF A MATURE BIRD, IT IS A SOFT, FLUFFY FEATHER

and the baby bird WAS a condor...because it was at Fort Condor, which totally doesn't make sense i know :rolleyes2 you get the phoenix summon from it though, so that's what had you confused

BG-57
02-03-2008, 12:43 AM
Additionally I think given that the baby bird hatched right after the parent drops dead (after what looks like an expanding explosion) is suspiciously pheonix-like behavior despite the name of the fort. I don't blame people for getting confused.

Serapy
02-03-2008, 12:49 AM
Ahh! My eyes are burning :eek: but I still prefer Phoenix Up :p
7-Up

blackmage_nuke
02-03-2008, 04:43 AM
Now the real question is what the hell is a mega-phoenix!?

02-03-2008, 10:54 AM
Now the real question is what the hell is a mega-phoenix!?

haha, touche', like....a bunch of down? :p or maybe it's a whole bird, slaughtered and carried in the bag, just in case...yeah, definitely a dismembered phoenix...

BG-57
02-03-2008, 03:01 PM
It's clearly a million pheonix feathers. :D

DarkLadyNyara
02-04-2008, 05:49 AM
yeah, definitely a dismembered phoenix...

Definitely. :D

And if you get hungry, it even cooks itself. ;) *is shot*