PDA

View Full Version : Which republican are you or are you not supporting?

edczxcvbnm
01-28-2008, 09:47 PM
This is pretty much a spin off of the other thread but for the republican side of the political spectrum.

So with different winners everywhere, there still isn't really a front runner. But I think we can all agree that Giuliani is a douche and is going down in flames XD Okay seriously...here we go.

State, First, Second, Third
Iowa: Huckabee(34%), Romney(25%), Thompson(13%)
Wyoming: Romney(67%), Thompson(25%), Hunter(8%)
New Hampshire: McCain(37%), Romney(31%), Huckabee(11%)
Michigan: Romney(39%), McCain(30%), Huckabee(16%)
Nevada: Romney(51%), Ron Paul(14%), McCain(13%)
South Carolina: McCain(33%), Huckabee(30%), Thompson(16%)

So that is the current breakdown of states that have already voted. Thompson is out as is Hunter. Looks like Ron Paul has no chance in hell at this point. Giuliani has been staying out of everything to focus on Florida and the big states come super Tuesday and in a race where it seems like the true front runner is questionable, it isn't a bad strategy...but he is falling hard and fast in Florida now but is still banking on Feb. 5th. I think he has no real shot as well.

Having said that I don't really care for any of them and I am putting them all in the poll anyways :D

Like...so I forgot to click the option to make a poll so now I can't add one. Please add the following to the poll

Romney
McCain
Huckabee
Giuliani
Ron Paul
Thompson
Hunter
Other

Thank you

You're welcome. :)

Quindiana Jones
01-28-2008, 09:49 PM
I'm proud of you, ed.

Tavrobel
01-28-2008, 09:51 PM
McCain, please. Guiliani is dead in the medicare water, as it were. This has got to be McCain's bread and butter, here in Florida.

Flying Mullet
01-28-2008, 09:54 PM
I'm not too fond of any of them, but of the front-runners, I can't stand Romney and Huckabee. Romney has no backbone and won't take a stand on any issue, changing his story and opinion regularly to appease whichever constituency he is speaking to at the moment (more so than your average politician). Huckabee, while a nice guy, lives in la-la land has no grasp of reality and tries to view everything in black-and-white where Christianity and everything in the Bible is correct and cannot be wrong. He makes Bush look like a balanced person who considers the liberal and non-conservative Christian opinion.

Avarice-ness
01-28-2008, 09:57 PM
McCain, I think if anyone can handle the war situation that we have gotten ourselves into, it'd be a man who's been through being a POW in vietnam.

I normally support democrat but I'll be supporting McCain because I believe he is the best overall, where as other canidates have some ideals that are really great, then some that just suck.

Madame Adequate
01-28-2008, 10:03 PM
Paul, ideally. In practice, McCain.

Guiliani, whatever his policies, could be playing a dangerous game. If he were to become the Republican candidate, he's risked alienating voters in these early states. I guess a lot will still go with him on principle, but the swing voters - and those are the ones you want to court - could be turned off by his apparent neglect.

Tavrobel
01-28-2008, 10:13 PM
Not just that, but he's rather risked alienating members of his supposed party. The only real thing about him that is GOP is his stance on terror; half of his platform is 9/11. He's liberal on immigration, isn't quite exactly what one could describe as having "Christian values," and is a city boy. Not to mention that he ignored the early states, which are purely used for momentum.

Florida's electoral slate is greater than all of the previous states combined (at least, it is for the Dems), and is winner-take-all if I recall it so. It was ca calculated risk on Guiliani's part, and I would say that he's lost the gamble. McCain's win in SC could possibly have been what spelled doom for him, because McCain, who is closer to independent (McCain-Feingold, anyone?), won in what is probably the most right of all of the formerly Solid South. In the past several elections, those GOP members who won SC did not fail to get their party's nomination.

Breine
01-28-2008, 10:36 PM
Not supporting any of the republicans :P

Bolivar
01-28-2008, 11:15 PM
If he didn't drop out, Fred Thompson, off the strength of how much Law & Order I watch, even though we probably disagree on quite a few things. I would be able to sleep at night knowing DA Arthur Branch was in charge of our country.

Ron Paul is the only one who acknowledges some of the things I do, but his political views on what should be done on each individual issue is not what I would agree with. Foreign Policy, for the most part I would agree, but not really with anything else. Oh wait, legalization of certain things, too.

At first I liked Romney (making healthcare work in MA), Huckabee (aware of him for a few years now, seems like a reasonable guy), McCain (a pragmatist), and even Giuliani (I'm a leftist, but in NJ we know he's not as crazy as alot of the rest of the country is making him out to be). So I wouldn't have a problem with any of them, but in the debates they're all talking about Ronald Reagan, alot of ignorant things on the war, and too much immigration (any political scientist will tell you this is always brought to the popular level from covert or blatant racism). So now I wouldn't want any of them to win. However, it's the moderators who are molding the scope of their arguments so who knows what they would really do.

I'm still voting for a Democrat either way.

Heath
01-28-2008, 11:27 PM
Florida's electoral slate is greater than all of the previous states combined (at least, it is for the Dems), and is winner-take-all if I recall it so. It was ca calculated risk on Guiliani's part, and I would say that he's lost the gamble. McCain's win in SC could possibly have been what spelled doom for him, because McCain, who is closer to independent (McCain-Feingold, anyone?), won in what is probably the most right of all of the formerly Solid South. In the past several elections, those GOP members who won SC did not fail to get their party's nomination.

McCain-Feingold would certainly be an interesting ticket that I'm sure would turn the heads of a few Democrats as well as Republicans.

Anyway, of the Republicans, the only one I like at all is McCain. Otherwise, I'm simply more interested in the Democrat race.

rubah
01-28-2008, 11:30 PM
I think it would be neat for ron paul to jump ahead, but aside from that, I guess I favor mccain and huckabee. McCain because he's not a total dumb, and huckabee because he's much less of a dumb than I percieve the others to be.

I don't really know about hunter or thompson or anything, but guiliani is below them. (i.e. the bottom)

Martyr
01-29-2008, 12:04 AM
I'd love to consider Huckabee because he's a huge Christian backed by Chuck Norris or maybe Romney, but McCain's a better candidate and he's getting my vote.

Alas.

Edit: Right, the Raoul Duke thing. I can't remember how to edit that. Slashes or something?

Shiny
01-29-2008, 12:09 AM
I don't support Huckabee. Almost everything he supports and opposes I'm completely against. For instance, he supports the right to bear arms whereas I'm for gun control. He opposes gay marriage and I'm all for it.

Martyr
01-29-2008, 12:14 AM
I practice gun control. I use both hands.

No, seriously, I've been ganged up on in college to many times to count when I talked about maintaining that humans should be able to protect themselves from weapon wielding criminals.

I still don't even understand the argument against guns.

But I know better than to assume that we all don't want to get murdered. Now.

rubah
01-29-2008, 12:17 AM
supposedly if no one has guns, no one needs to be protected from them.
but then you have people who don't care about the laws and have them anyways.

Martyr
01-29-2008, 12:23 AM
supposedly if no one has guns, no one needs to be protected from them.
but then you have people who don't care about the laws and have them anyways.

exactly.

Namelessfengir
01-29-2008, 02:00 AM
republicans have been fucking us over for 8 years why would anyone vote for them now?

Avarice-ness
01-29-2008, 02:09 AM
republicans have been smurfing us over for 8 years why would anyone vote for them now?

Because ONE republican has been smurfing us for eight years.

And some of these are completely different.

Caraliz
01-29-2008, 02:13 AM
i would not vote republican. :D

Momiji
01-29-2008, 02:16 AM
Well, I don't like any of the Democrat candidates this time around. At all. Actually, I detest them. However, I don't exactly care for any of the Republican candidates either. But since I will likely be voting Republican because I hate the Democrat candidates, I'm pretty much for Huckabee at this point, McCain as my next choice. As for Giuliani, he's a fucking idiot and I consider him to be a worse choice than Obama or even Clinton. Thankfully, I don't think he has a ghost of a chance.

tl;dr version: Huckabee or McCain.

Avarice-ness
01-29-2008, 02:22 AM
Well, I don't like any of the Democrat candidates this time around. At all. Actually, I detest them. However, I don't exactly care for any of the Republican candidates either. But since I will likely be voting Republican because I hate the Democrat candidates, I'm pretty much for Huckabee at this point, McCain as my next choice. As for Giuliani, he's a smurfing idiot and I consider him to be a worse choice than Obama or even Clinton. Thankfully, I don't think he has a ghost of a chance.

I'm glad I'm not the only normally democrat gone republican for this election. I can't stand any of the democrats running to ANY extent, the democratic side is just a joke in my opinion. At this point it feels more like their race is to win student council president than president of the united states.

May not be my cup of tea, but I feel that there are better canidate's for presidency on the republican side. :)

Momiji
01-29-2008, 02:26 AM
Well, I don't like any of the Democrat candidates this time around. At all. Actually, I detest them. However, I don't exactly care for any of the Republican candidates either. But since I will likely be voting Republican because I hate the Democrat candidates, I'm pretty much for Huckabee at this point, McCain as my next choice. As for Giuliani, he's a smurfing idiot and I consider him to be a worse choice than Obama or even Clinton. Thankfully, I don't think he has a ghost of a chance.

I'm glad I'm not the only normally democrat gone republican for this election. I can't stand any of the democrats running to ANY extent, the democratic side is just a joke in my opinion. At this point it feels more like their race is to win student council president than president of the united states.

May not be my cup of tea, but I feel that there are better canidate's for presidency on the republican side. :)

Actually I'm not a Democrat. I don't really care for either side in its extreme form. I'm a centrist.

Karellen
01-29-2008, 02:28 AM
Huckabee. I've always kind of wondered what a theocracy would be like.

Avarice-ness
01-29-2008, 02:32 AM

Actually I'm not a Democrat. I don't really care for either side in its extreme form. I'm a centrist.

I thought the people in the middle where moderates? Or are you the kind where you basically vote with which ever seems to work out for you personally? (Which.. everyone should vote that way, Imo.)

Either way, I can't stand extreme form. I condsider extreme to be the democrat's that would rather worry about how many tree's are being chopped down a year than public health care. Those just.. need to go away.

Tavrobel
01-29-2008, 02:52 AM
McCain-Feingold would certainly be an interesting ticket that I'm sure would turn the heads of a few Democrats as well as Republicans.

I was using it in the context of the bill that was passed in 2000 (?) limiting the use of soft money in elections; proliferated money that is given to parties to support getting people to vote. This move was very economically straining, as Conservatives, on an economic basis, prefer free reign with money, for as it turned out, the money would make it to parties, and then their way to candidates, even though it is not money meant to be used in that way. Democrats prefer more restrictions (generally).

In regards to people being Centrist or Moderates, it doesn't totally matter so much. The American Party system is so massively decentralized, that anyone claiming to be anything can vote for anyone else (with the exception of in Closed Primary states). For example, the Southern Democrats, Reagan Democrats, and New England Democrats all have very different agendas, if not completely contradictory. Another example, Ron Paul, who is Libertarian (social liberties above all), is considered Republican because of his belief in economic freedom from big government. De-centralized? Ohh, yes!

Either way, I can't stand extreme form. I condsider extreme to be the democrat's that would rather worry about how many tree's are being chopped down a year than public health care. Those just.. need to go away.

Yeah, we know. They killed us in 2000. They are called the Green Party.

qwertysaur
01-29-2008, 03:04 AM
I support the green party!

Avarice-ness
01-29-2008, 03:07 AM

And we don't support you! :love:

Tavrobel
01-29-2008, 03:11 AM

And you can't vote in a primary or caucus if you live in a closed primary state. The system works! Justice is solved.

qwertysaur
01-29-2008, 03:21 AM

And you can't vote in a primary or caucus if you live in a closed primary state. The system works! Justice is solved.
Cynthia McKinney (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cynthia_McKinney)
This is who i support. :p

Momiji
01-29-2008, 03:28 AM
I guess the main reason I call myself a centrist is because I don't like weighing one side of the scale down. I believe balance is the answer, although satisfying everyone is impossible.

edczxcvbnm
01-30-2008, 04:49 PM
So McCain won and Giuliani got pwned. Next stop Super Tuesday.

Madame Adequate
01-30-2008, 05:13 PM
Epic, epic miscalculations on Guiliani's part.

Mirage
01-30-2008, 05:15 PM
So let me get this straight... I'm able to vote once for the republican I both support AND DON'T support?

escobert
01-30-2008, 05:54 PM
RUUUUUUUDY

anyways I like McCain. I'm glad he's doing well.

rubah
01-30-2008, 05:57 PM
Of course not mirage, you vote for the ones you don't want to support by not voting.

Madame Adequate
01-30-2008, 08:37 PM

Cynthia McKinney (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cynthia_McKinney)
This is who i support. :p

Fortunately, whilst it may be a place for idiots, philanderers, womanizers, and crooks, the White House is not yet a place for stark raving lunatics.

Nominus Experse
01-30-2008, 08:48 PM
I will leave America immediately if that Huckabee douche gets elected.

NeoCracker
01-30-2008, 09:03 PM
The only Republican I can see myself supporting is Ron Paul.

I don't really like McKain much, though he seems less damaging then the others.

Of course the only Democrat I support is Obama, and I prefer him to Paul.

Basically if Paul wins the Rep. and OBama doesn't win Dem, it's Paul.

Any case involving Obama winning, Obama.

If both Obama and Paul don't win, perhaps McKain would work.

Better then Hilary and Guiliani.

Heath
01-30-2008, 09:04 PM
Epic, epic miscalculations on Guiliani's part.

I said about ten days ago that I didn't think the gamble would pay off. It was a very risky strategy to begin with and when you simply disregard the earlier states that would've allowed him to gain some momentum (as happened with McCain), you know it'd require something relatively spectacular in Florida for him to do well. And when his support in Florida dropped and dropped, well, you don't have to be a clairvoyant to have predicted him dropping out.

Dolentrean
01-31-2008, 07:52 AM
John McCain! And not just becuase he reminds me of Die Hard.

Huckabee seems like he could be alright to. But when it comes down to the Republicans I hope McCain goes all the way.

Momiji
02-10-2008, 12:40 PM
Sorry to bump the thread, but this seemed like the best place to say that Romney has officially dropped out, leaving only McCain and Huckabee.

Vivisteiner
02-10-2008, 01:40 PM
I dont care what Republican wins, so long as they don't get elected. Huckabee is a joke and McCain will be responsible for a nuclear war.

But in a worst case scenario where a Republican wins, I'd still go for McCain. At least that way it'd be an intelligent nuclear war.

Shiny
02-10-2008, 07:48 PM
Huckabee seems like he could be alright to.
Let me ask you this: Does a man who says people with AIDS should be put on a separate island deserve to be appointed president? Huckabee is an abomination and I'm glad to see McCain is handing his ass to him on a platter.

I will leave America immediately if that Huckabee douche gets elected.
Yes, you have the right idea.

Burtsplurt
02-10-2008, 09:50 PM
I haven't really heard of most of them, but having just had a look at Huckabee's website, he looks like a total nutjob.

Is he seriously in with a chance of becoming the next President? He makes Bush look a secular and moderate lefty.

Raistlin
02-10-2008, 10:15 PM
Ron Paul, easily. Of course he's not going to win, though. I even strongly disagree with him about certain issues, but the other candidates are just <i>that bad</i>.

The lesser evil of the front runners (of course now Romney's out, but even when he was still in) I would say is McCain, though not by much. He's basically a Bush clone now, but at least there will be a Democratic Congress and a much more impatient populace to keep him in check.

Huckabee is certifiably insane.

Tavrobel
02-10-2008, 10:52 PM
It's been wrapped up for the GOP. To all of the harsh conservatives that are all like "omg no vote mccain lol" it was their fault that they didn't offer their support for a candidate as an alternative (in this case, Romney). However, the GOP looks to be in relatively good shape. With the early decision (barring a massive Jesus-related miracle) in his pocket, McCain has the extra time to occupy the middle; independents are going to be very important this time around. And certainly, he is definitely the lesser of two, if not up to four separate evils.

The GOP should rely on their enemies. With the Democratic Party almost in shambles and about to schism their own party, there's almost no hope that a Democratic front-runner will emerge; it could even go all the way until the Convention before a nominee is decided, and there should be plenty of behind the deals scenes. Their track record isn't terribly great when it comes to choosing people in crunch time. Not only that, there's going to be a huge bum rush about Michigan and Florida delegates. To the Democrats: you're being too democratic. Stop sucking and get it together.

Vivisteiner
02-13-2008, 06:09 PM
^I think your summary of the situation is wrong. The Democrat is far from being in shambles and there is in no way a 'schism'. If you examine the polls, they say that Democrats think both candidates are very good and that they'd be happy with either. Its just a tough choice choosing between them.

Oh, and as of writing, a front-runner has emerged. Pretty soon eh!

Montoya
02-17-2008, 08:34 AM
McCain, he sometimes makes sense.