PDA

View Full Version : Necron

James Leopold
01-28-2008, 10:11 PM
What do you people think about his sudden appearance at the end of the game?

I personally feel that it was a great and dramatic twist. The heroes, who thought that they had beaten all their enemies (Brahne, Garland, Kuja) suddenly have someone more evil and dangerous to fight.

Necron is also quite symbolic, in the way that he is the negation to the main theme of FF9. The game is all about life and the meaning of living it, but Necron's ideal world is where there is nothing that exists. No love, no faith, no hope. It gave me more of a feeling that when I was fighting Necron, I wasn't just fighting for the characters...I was fighting for myself.

So, what are your thoughts?

Bolivar
01-28-2008, 11:03 PM
It was a throwback. FFIII had a out-of-nowhere boss that wanted to return everything to nothing after you beat who you thought was the final boss. Zeromus also came out of nowhere. FFI you didn't know what the final boss was going to be until you got there.

When I first beat the game, having only beaten VII, I thought it was pretty weird, but 10 other FF endings later, it was a good way to end it for me.

Bahamut2000X
01-28-2008, 11:14 PM
Zeromus also came out of nowhere.

Off topic, but Zeromus doesn't exactly come from nowhere. It was just Zemus' hate-incarnate, so I don't think you could classify him as coming out of nowhere as it was still Zemus, just as a giant blue sponge/aliens knockoff that changed his name all of a sudden, and Necron and the Dark Cloud were entirely new enemies that made their first appearance right then.

Anyways though I liked Necron's appearance. It made for a nice final fight, and helped bring the themes of life and death in the game into a nice final encounter, where the heros essentially fought with the very essence of death itself as opposed to all of the human villains turned good. It made for a nice wrap-up I thought.

Tallulah
01-28-2008, 11:43 PM
I always thought that Garland would be the end boss, but when he got offed by Kuja, I had to rethink that one...

It made sense to have such a 'nowhere' boss at the end of the game, as it reflected the chaos Gaia had been thrown into.

jammi567
01-28-2008, 11:47 PM
I don't know about this. Although a good shock ending boss is all well and good, i would actually like some hints that this....thing will actually want to fight me at the end of the game.

James Leopold
01-28-2008, 11:53 PM
I don't know about this. Although a good shock ending boss is all well and good, i would actually like some hints that this....thing will actually want to fight me at the end of the game.

Necron desired a zero world, an end to all life. But I think he wanted to give Zidane and the others a chance to fight him. With his power, Necron could probably have easily crushed them, but either he was going easy on them or he underestimated them. At the end of the fight, he says something like "I can't believe the will to live is so strong..." This implies that he is admitting defeat and will allow them to live. He also says that he is eternal, and that he can return.

Rantz
01-29-2008, 12:43 AM
I would say Necron is intended to be purely symbolic; not just a mega-evil machine designed by unknown, but as James Leopold put it, the negation of life, love and memories. Dramaturgically, I see him more as a mind monster (to finally determine the main characters' values and goals in life, and to determine the value of life itself), than something random which has to be destroyed in order to save the world.

Bahamut2000X
01-29-2008, 12:47 AM
There were hints to Necron in the game. Granted nothing huge but they were there.

Necron though didn't desire to bring an end to everything, it was his purpose. Necron was a being that existed to end life, and was death more or less. It realized that everything had to die and believed one day that a signal would come giving it the O.K. to destroy the crystal and bring everything back to nothing. Necron was just following what it believed it's existence was for, nothing more then the natural force of death at work.

Serapy
01-29-2008, 02:05 AM
I didn't expect Necron, nor the hints about Necron during the game.
When I fought Kuja at the end, I was like yeah! No more fight! Whoo, I was happy till then when Necron came out of no where, I felt so humiliated, oh no $_$ I died instantly.

Life is unfair.

FF9 was indeed a good game, though.

The Crystal
02-17-2008, 07:39 AM
Necron exploded after being defeated by the party. He isn't eternal, and it's not a super powerful cosmic being. He fought, and lost. The End.

And what he said(about being eternal), contradicts what we see in the game itself. But that's not the first time this happens in FFIX. Soul Cage said he foreshadowed his own dead, and it wouldn't be by the hands of Zidane and his friends. But they killed him anyway.

Will you guys ignore Soul Cage's death and state that Zidane and the party didn't kill him, only because of what he said before the battle? :rolleyes2
This is what you all are doing in relation to Necron.

Forsaken Lover
02-18-2008, 04:56 PM
It depends on what you think Necron is.

If he's the true face of the Iifa Tree, he probably was "killed."

Vivisteiner
02-18-2008, 05:32 PM
I liked it because he gave me one hell of a fight at the end. It really went down to the wire. I was so happy when I just beat him.

I also like the idea behind him.

Brennan
02-18-2008, 06:50 PM
It made sense to have such a 'nowhere' boss at the end of the game, as it reflected the chaos Gaia had been thrown into.

demondude
02-18-2008, 07:23 PM
I thought Kuja was the final boss so when I fought Necron I had no Elixirs or anything.

Quindiana Jones
02-19-2008, 10:30 PM
If Necron wasn't in the game, we would never have been blessed with his tune.

Xurts
02-22-2008, 07:17 AM
I thought he was a good challenge. He actually caused me more problems than Ozma did. Plus the story aspect is cool etc.

FF9master9
02-22-2008, 01:47 PM
I liked him in there. because he was a easy final boss *i think because i powered lvl to 99 lol*.

Sarc the Swordsman
02-23-2008, 12:25 AM
Necron was an interesting final boss. I really couldn't stand Kuja at any point in the game, so I was glad that I didn't have to fight him too many times.

He was also pretty tough - but luckily not as tough as Ozma.