PDA

View Full Version : Best movie out there based on a video game.

Breine
01-29-2008, 04:52 PM
I suppose we all know that movies based on video games really aren't that good. Most of them suck, while others manage to be decent, and with movies based on games like Tekken, Metal Gear Solid and American McGee's Alice coming up, Hollywood seem to really, against all odds, have accepted video games as a way to tell a story (= make some money).

But anyway, what's your favourite movie based on a video game? (Animated movies are not excluded)

Namelessfengir
01-29-2008, 05:06 PM
i usually dont watch movies that are based off of games because they usually suck

JKTrix
01-29-2008, 05:43 PM
Are animated movies excluded? Because the Street Fighter 2 movie was quite entertaining.

LunarWeaver
01-29-2008, 05:45 PM
Probably Advent Children for me.

NeoCracker
01-29-2008, 06:14 PM
The Tekken Movie was decent. Haven't seen the street fighter Anime, but the Live action was decent as well.

Resident evil is horrid.

I'm going to go with "In the Name of the King" since it was Dungeon Seige and all.

Bahamut2000X
01-29-2008, 06:26 PM
Resident evil is horrid.

Indeed it is.

As for good movies I rather enjoyed the Mario Brothers movie, and the sit-com TV show they made of it. Hit man was also a pretty decent movie which surprised me. FFVII: AC was good too.

Beyond that and a few I can't remember their all rubbish though.

NeoCracker
01-29-2008, 06:32 PM
MMM, Super Mario Bros.

Forgot about that one.

Though In the Name of the King is still better.

KentaRawr!
01-29-2008, 06:34 PM
The Live Action Street Fighter movie was decent, but mostly just due to M. Bison.

Dolentrean
01-29-2008, 06:42 PM
Super Mario Bros and the ORIGONAL Mortal Kombat. Mortal Kombat Annihilation was an attrocity against humanity!

XxSephirothxX
01-29-2008, 06:45 PM
Double Dragon or Street Fighter due to how absolutely unbearably terrible they are. They're hilarious.

Dreddz
01-29-2008, 07:49 PM
The Tekken Movie was decent.

You've got to be out of your mind!

Anyway, Its hard to say a best out of a selection so crappy. But Ill go with the Doom movie as it wasnt completely horrible. Ill give a nod to the first Mortal Kombat movie too.

Germ Hamee
01-29-2008, 08:31 PM
Silent Hill was fan service at it's best, as long as I pretend the "Burn the witch!!" crap didn't happen.

Tavrobel
01-29-2008, 08:34 PM
Mortal Kombat. Yes.

Araciel
01-29-2008, 09:17 PM
Silent Hill was fan service at it's best, as long as I pretend the "Burn the witch!!" crap didn't happen.

My vote also, though I'm not familiar enough to make a comparison to the games, it was a good movie on its own merit..not great, but good.

Breine
01-29-2008, 09:30 PM
The Tekken Movie was decent.

You've got to be out of your mind!

Yeah, I'd have to agree. The Tekken cartoon was pretty crappy.

Other than that I actually think the Tomb Raider movies are pretty decent. Much of that is largely because of Angelina Jolie, though.

EDIT: and of course Advent Children.

ff is da best
01-29-2008, 10:08 PM
silent hill was cool
but id go with advent children

Rianoa
02-12-2008, 06:40 PM
advent children

Spawn of Sephiroth
02-12-2008, 06:52 PM
Yea, probly Mortal Kombat adn Advent Children

Shauna
02-12-2008, 06:57 PM
Doom.

Nah, I'm just kidding. I'll just say Super Mario Bros. since I remember watching it when I was younger, and not being entirely horrified, like I am nowadays with most VG movies about.

ljkkjlcm9
02-12-2008, 08:11 PM
Clearly either Silent Hill, or Hitman.
Both were good movies in their own right

if this wasn't EoFF, we wouldn't have so many Advent Children lovers. The fact that the movie is basically 15 minutes story, 1:15 fighting... lol Entertaining sure, but not exactly a high quality movie.

THE JACKEL

XxSephirothxX
02-12-2008, 08:30 PM
I think that, given the competition, Advent Children is easily one of the best films based on a videogame. It has some pretty slick animation and action scenes. The only difference is more people here have seen it. :p

Captain Maxx Power
02-12-2008, 08:55 PM
Double Dragon or Street Fighter due to how absolutely unbearably terrible they are. They're hilarious.

Street Fighter is one of those "so bad it's good" films. Raul Julia's superbly camp performance is worth everyone's time.

Dolentrean
02-12-2008, 11:58 PM
Wasn't The Passion of the Christ based off a video game?

Jessweeee♪
02-13-2008, 12:25 AM
The song from the Mortal Kombat movies is the best thing ever since EVAR.

Advent Children was purdy neat too.

I love Tekken. To death.

...but I just could not finish the movie.

NeoCracker
02-13-2008, 01:13 AM
I never saw AC as being based off a game. More like an extension of it.

If thats included though, it still doesn't get my vote. :P

Vermachtnis
02-13-2008, 02:31 AM
I gotta agree with Mortal Kombat, but I liked the Resident Evil movies though.

*sets up a fort of Cereal Boxes*
I didn't like Advent Children, save for Rude and Reno.

NeoCracker
02-13-2008, 04:29 AM
What about Rufus?

"A good son would have known."

They made him such an ass. :P

You know, Rufus, Reno, and Rude should have their own movie.

That woudl be the greatest movie based on a game ever.

Dolentrean
02-13-2008, 04:58 AM
They need a movie very lossely baised on Portal, It dosen't have to involve portals, just someone wakeing up in a testing chamber with a creepy computer voice leading him through the tests, telling jokes and acting really creepy. As that happened he would slowly remember how he came to be there. Also there would have to be Companion Cube

blackmage_nuke
02-13-2008, 05:16 AM
Pokemon

Shiny
02-13-2008, 05:31 AM
Super Mario Brothers?

El Bandito
02-13-2008, 08:00 AM
I just recently saw "The King of Kong" and it was an awesome documentary. I guess that should count.

Markus. D
02-13-2008, 09:03 AM
First Tomb Raider Movie.

It also has my favorite Movie Soundtrack ^^

Avarice-ness
02-13-2008, 09:04 AM
Mortal Kombat.

And I don't consider AC as an actual movie movie, all the titles that are trying to be listed are one's that actually came out in theaters and came from holywood, where as FF:AC came out in Japan and came from SquareEnix.

I see FF:AC as just a 3D anime really, nothing I'd ever consider near all the titles mentioned above for the sole fact that the titles went from Video Game to Holywood Motion Picture, whereas FF:AC went from Video Game to Video Game movie.

Also, "In the name of the king" was Dungeon Seige? That's epic, I had no idea.

Rocket Edge
02-13-2008, 09:40 AM
Advent Children.

Raebus
02-13-2008, 03:16 PM
Silent hill.

*Ignores suggestions of Advent Children*

Jessweeee♪
02-15-2008, 02:34 AM
Pokemon

My brother and I made our poor grandmother watch the second one in theaters with us when we liked Pokemon...I feel so bad about that ; ;

MORTAL KOMBAT!

dun-dun-dun-dun-dun-dun-dun-dun

Vyk
02-15-2008, 08:55 AM
Mortal Kombat had an awesome live action series called Conquest :] I hearted it

Jessweeee♪
02-15-2008, 02:21 PM

I DIDN'T KNOW THAT O:

I must watch this.

edczxcvbnm
02-15-2008, 02:28 PM
Mortal Kombat. Even then it really isn't a good movie XP

Here is hoping that Metal Gear will not suck when they eventually make it. Same with Halo. I have some reasonable expectations for those movies >.>

Vyk
02-15-2008, 07:03 PM

I DIDN'T KNOW THAT O:

I must watch this.

Yeah. Good luck finding it :] I think Amazon.com in the UK er... amazon.co.uk? Sells the DVDs or some company in the UK. Its hard to find either way. I think there was only a couple seasons. It was done like the Hurcules and Xena series. But with martial arts instead of brute strenght. And it was very well done for as campy as the plot it woulda had. I miss it :[ If you find it, invite me over. I'll watch it with you~!
(Also because I get all nostalgic sometimes and hunt this kinda stuff down I do know there is a website out there dedicated to it. Can't download whole episodes but they do have a TON of scenes you can download to get a taste. And I think they have links for buying it...) K 'nuff rambling

Strawberry_Mew
02-17-2008, 08:01 AM
I loved Silent Hill. I wish they make a sequal lol. I also loved FF7 AC

Del Murder
02-17-2008, 08:04 AM
Pokemon
That really is true when I think about it. MK was alright though.

Yamaneko
02-17-2008, 08:08 AM
They were all terrible.

Caraliz
02-17-2008, 08:13 AM
The resident evil trilogy will forever be my guilty pleasure movie trilogy. Even though I don't really remember what happens anymore in the last one. :(

Randgris
02-17-2008, 08:34 AM
I never saw AC as being based off a game. More like an extension of it.

If thats included though, it still doesn't get my vote. :P

I gotta agree with Mortal Kombat, but I liked the Resident Evil movies though.

*sets up a fort of Cereal Boxes*
I didn't like Advent Children, save for Rude and Reno.

I was very disappointed with FF:AC. I'd rate it 2 which is kinda boring actually. :eep:

The resident evil trilogy will forever be my guilty pleasure movie trilogy. Even though I don't really remember what happens anymore in the last one. :(

I heard rumors they are doing a fourth one (location would be Japan but its just a rumor anyway, entitled RE: Aftermath). I like watching it but its still lacking. I'll give it a four out of five. The general average of all three movies (for me) is 3, which is kinda 'blah' really. Silent Hill is one of the better picks IMO. Although it also lacks something, I'd give it a 4.5.

I Am Stoner
02-17-2008, 08:57 AM
I loved Street Fighter 2: The Animated Movie and Street Fighter Alpha: The Movie. Those are my fav game to movie conversions.

But then again I also loved FF7: AC and I liked Doom hell of a lot.

I really hope they bring out a GoW movie, and make it good not really cheesy. I mean Silent Hill was alright. Resident Evil, my god, they didnt do the games any honour there. I mean they basically gave the game a bad name, shat on its grave, dug it up, mummified it, burned it then shat on it again. Too much action, too much change in the storyline, not enough of the survival horror atmosphere. Thats my opinion anyway.

Montoya
02-18-2008, 12:19 AM
Mortal Kombat!

Then Silent Hill.

NeoTifa
02-18-2008, 05:23 AM
street fighter sucked!

i <3 resident evil (mainly 1, not so much 2 and 3 but they were good), silent hill, and ac. spirits within didnt suck that bad. it reminded me too much of the matrix meets alien. i dunno

Azure Chrysanthemum
02-18-2008, 09:04 AM
I actually saw the original Tomb Raider movie for some reason I can't remember (I believe my friend wanted to go, she was interested in it for some reason I can't fathom) but I thought it was pretty decent, albeit trippy and weird near the end.

Sarc the Swordsman
02-23-2008, 02:10 AM
I really liked the Resident Evil movies, the Silent Hill movie and the Tomb Raider movies. They were pretty good. Although, a lot of fans don't like them because they aren't exactly like the game. Still, I liked them.

Depression Moon
02-23-2008, 04:27 PM
Resident Evil Extinction is pretty good for a game based movie too bad I can't say the same for MK Annhilation and Tomb Raider. I saw a bit of Double Dragon and it was beyond terrible.

Jessweeee♪
02-23-2008, 04:38 PM
I don't think Angelina was believable as Lara.

...other than that, the Tomb Raider movie wasn't too bad.

Breine
02-23-2008, 05:30 PM
I don't think Angelina was believable as Lara.

...other than that, the Tomb Raider movie wasn't too bad.

Really? I thought she was the best thing about the movies.

Ishin Ookami
02-28-2008, 10:50 AM
The Spirits Within.

On account that it was the first movie based on a video game to put storytelling above fan service and americana. I also have something for films that have stones enough to kill off the main love interest for the sake of dramatic impact, and it had a strong female lead that didn't need to flash her boobies to get the audiences attention.

Peegee
02-28-2008, 04:23 PM
Silent Hill

/thread

:P

JeonRina14
02-29-2008, 12:35 AM
I havn't seen many movies based on video games actually o.O; but I did see a movie based on blood the last vampire which didn't suck at all =D it was decent^^