PDA

View Full Version : Friends not getting it.

Breine
01-30-2008, 10:40 AM
Is there a band/artist that only you seem to really like, but your friends just don't get why?

I normally listen to pretty alternative music, and so most of my friends don't really know any of my favourite artists (such as e.g. Rufus Wainwright, Kate Bush, M.I.A., Beirut, Antony and the Johnsons etc.) and I guess that's why they don't get why I like them: ..because they're not commonly known and the music is alternative and different.

What about you?

Garnie
01-30-2008, 10:54 AM
hate haveneck. No one in eglands heard of her and i wanna know WHY DAMNIT!!

Cookie
01-30-2008, 11:14 AM
My friends only tend to discuss artists and genres that they like, which I also tend to like since I like pretty much anything, so the topic of something that I listen to or like being weird or questionable never really comes up. :p It might do if they ever look through my iPod or iTunes library, though.

Namelessfengir
01-30-2008, 02:46 PM
kill your friends find smarter ones

I Don't Need A Name
01-30-2008, 11:05 PM
i cant understand why my friends like Rhianna...the whining cow :D

BardTard
01-30-2008, 11:24 PM
Smile.dk (the girls in my avatar and sig) They're awesome but nobody else even knows who they are :( If anybody does it's only because they play DDR.

Shattered Dreamer
01-31-2008, 12:30 AM
I'm a big 30 Seconds To Mars fan & my friends are not really too bothered with them. I saw them live last Friday and they were amazing live so now my friends complaints fall on deaf ears.

rubah
01-31-2008, 12:48 AM
In high school that was a fairly common occurance for me, but now it doesn't matter so much.

(of course, anything besides country or rap was weird in high school xD)

fire_of_avalon
01-31-2008, 02:19 AM
This is pretty much my life story.

Momiji
01-31-2008, 02:52 AM
My local friends share my screamo/metal/electronica fixation, but not my J-pop fixation. As for my online friends, it's the other way around. I win and lose both ways.

Kirobaito
01-31-2008, 03:20 AM
qft

Apollo
01-31-2008, 06:28 AM
yeah most of my friends are like all into the metal scene and go to those kinds of shows and stuff like that. I used to be into that too, but now I'm into stuff like stuff like Of Montreal, Wolf Parade, Manitoba, TV on the Radio, Deerhunter, Hot Chip, ect.

Ryth
01-31-2008, 09:06 PM

Yeah, this.

Dolentrean
01-31-2008, 09:38 PM
My music is pretty varied, My Ipod is mainly full of Metal and Hard Rock, that my friends get, but I also have Jazz, Ska, and other stuff that they dont really understand. Also alot of them dont like Bruce Springsteen O.O

Trumpet Thief
01-31-2008, 09:56 PM
Well half of my friends love Rap, R&B, Pop, etc. all the stuff that is played on "popular" music stations.

The other half like what I listen to, which is Classic Rock, Blues kind of stuff. With the ones that like rap, haha, it's basically them asking why I'm a rock guy half the time, and then out of all the girls, they ask me how I can listen to Led Zeppelin with "that guy's high annyoing screechy voice". Meh.

Renmiri
01-31-2008, 11:01 PM
Love Kate Bush!!

I like pretty weird stuff too, but I have a wide variety of favorites, so I always find something me and a friend have in common

Boney King
01-31-2008, 11:32 PM
Some "friends" of mine don't like Björk or Sigur Rós because they find the vocals annoying. Heathens.

Breine
02-01-2008, 09:34 AM
Love Kate Bush!!

*high five*

Burtsplurt
02-01-2008, 06:48 PM
Kate Bush is awesome. Your friends, on the other hand, aren't!

None of my friends get The Microphones. They ask if they're practicing/ recording the music in their living room (which they probably are). Lo-fi is pretty cool in my opinion.

Breine
02-02-2008, 09:21 AM
Kate Bush is awesome. Your friends, on the other hand, aren't!

Thank you!

fire_of_avalon
02-02-2008, 02:18 PM
Another thing that really irritates me about my friends is that I'm pretty passionate about the music I listen to. I would love nothing more than to spend hours and hours in record shops and wandering about iTunes finding new music. I just bought the solo side project album of the lead guitarist of one of my favorite bands and I think it's some of the most amazing music I've ever heard. And no one I know will ever think so. :(

scrumpleberry
02-02-2008, 03:01 PM
YES.

All the time. :P

Breine
02-02-2008, 09:11 PM
Another thing that really irritates me about my friends is that I'm pretty passionate about the music I listen to. I would love nothing more than to spend hours and hours in record shops and wandering about iTunes finding new music. I just bought the solo side project album of the lead guitarist of one of my favorite bands and I think it's some of the most amazing music I've ever heard. And no one I know will ever think so. :(

I'm totally the same xD

Aurey
02-02-2008, 10:13 PM
None of my friends get The Microphones. They ask if they're practicing/ recording the music in their living room (which they probably are). Lo-fi is pretty cool in my opinion.

Ah, nice. I saw Mount Eerie (just Phil Elverum) at a small festival last summer, it was marvelous. He's a funny guy, too.

Anyway, no my friends don't listen to the same music I listen to, we do have some in common, but not much. It bothered me at first, when I started looking elsewhere, but I now keep my taste somewhat to myself. Or, I just don't take it as seriously as I did then. I have come to realize that it's way too stupid to think poorly/less of someone because of what they listen to or what they don't. But, oh whatever.

Faded Tears
02-08-2008, 04:34 AM
Most of my friends listen to new metal or alternative stuff.
I'm still stuck with Hair Metal and Classic Rock.