PDA

View Full Version : Acquisition Guide

BG-57
01-30-2008, 11:09 PM
This has been bothering me for some time and I haven't been alone in voicing my concern: simply put I'm worried that the PSP version of FFT will require cooperative gameplay to get some rare items.

What I haven't been able to find out is whether that's true or not. The normally helpful gamefaqs.com has little information to go on.

So I'm asking for your help. If you're playing through the PSP version and you find something that either is entirely new or something from the PSX version that you can get in a new way, please post about it.

I've taken a spreadsheet from a list of items in the PSX version and I can modify it as new info comes in. The original file has been converted into a html document and posted below.

The Amazing Spiderman
02-01-2008, 09:43 PM
You can only get some rare items in meelee mode, while others on cooperative mode.

As far as I've played in cooperative, the items you get depend on the average level of your entire party. That's something I've noted.
Last time I played, my party average level was 29, and I got three items on melee: A Coral Sword, a Wizard Robe, and a Lightning bow.
You get random items? I don't know, but maybe there is a pattern to know at least what kind of item you'll get.

I'm on chapter 3, by the way.

BG-57
02-02-2008, 01:41 PM
It is reasonable to assume that you can get items in the carryover battles from PSX the same way in the PSP version? Like stealing the Genji equipment from Elmdor in the Limberry Castle?

If it is I'm more concerned about the new battles new to the PSP version. As well as any items/weapons/armor new to the PSP version.

Anyways thanks for the info. I'll add it in.

The Amazing Spiderman
02-02-2008, 07:53 PM
As for the genji equipment, I'm sure you can't get it in this version by stealing from elmdlor, but instead, you get the Genji Armor from the Beowulf's special battle at chapter 4, and the Helmet, the Shield, and the Gaunlet (and I think you can get the armor, too.) throught cooperative/melee mode.

You can steal the Masamune from a Samurai from one of those Beowulf's Special missions.

I'll try to add as much as I progress.

BG-57
03-02-2008, 01:46 AM
I finally found a copy of the strategy guide.

Unique Meelee Items:

Chaosbringer
Arondight
Golden Axe
Balmung
Gae Bolg
Reverie Shield
Acacia Hat
Sage's Robe
Empyreal Armband
Francisca
Nirvana
Chantage
Onion Sword
Onion Helm
Vesper
Brave Suit
Moonsilk Blade
Minerva Bustier
Fomalhaut
Onion Gloves
Orochi

Unique Rendezvous Items:

Deathbringer
Golden Axe
Gaius Caligae
Durandel
Brass Coronet
Stardust Rod
Brigand's Glove
Moonblade
Onion Armor
Onion Shield
Saggittarius Bow
Fomalhaut
Grand Armor
Gungnir
Dreamcatcher
Crown Scepter
Sage's Ring
Valhalla
Vanguard Helm

.:kerrod:.
03-02-2008, 02:39 AM
:( i want the onion equipment :cry:

Wolf Kanno
03-02-2008, 05:31 AM
So basically to get the class specific items for Dark Knight and Onion Knight you have to play the cooperative mode... fun :eep:

VorpalCyberWolf
03-02-2008, 09:30 AM
It's not tough to get, if you just have a friend that you can play with. I have 5 friends with PSPs and the game within walking distance, not to mention many more who want it. The only equipment you can't get in regular game play that you could before is Genji Helm, Gloves and Sheild. You receive the armor and Masamune through other sidequests. And there is even another extra battle where you can get more of the rare items from Midlight's Deep as well.

If your friends don't want to play with you (which would be strange) you can ask to just borrow their game for a bit and play through some rendezvous on your own, or get easy JP/items from meleeing with yourself.

*Shrug* I feel the fact that the new rare items can only be retrieved through multiplay should not take away from the game experience, the translation is better, the cutscenes are fantastic, and there is no reason why you can't enjoy the story (Or beat the final boss) without the Onion set or the genji glove. If you're that much of a stickler to have the game mastered, you should just peruse a friend into buying a copy of their own, they'll love the game, you can get the items later, and the Rendevous are an awesomely challenging experience anyway. So go on, you guys do have friends right? Hell, I'd play with you guys.

Sorry if any of this seems harsh, I'm just sick of hearing the same complaints in every post since the PSP version has come out.

Wolf Kanno
03-02-2008, 06:03 PM
It's not tough to get, if you just have a friend that you can play with. I have 5 friends with PSPs and the game within walking distance, not to mention many more who want it. The only equipment you can't get in regular game play that you could before is Genji Helm, Gloves and Sheild. You receive the armor and Masamune through other sidequests. And there is even another extra battle where you can get more of the rare items from Midlight's Deep as well.

If your friends don't want to play with you (which would be strange) you can ask to just borrow their game for a bit and play through some rendezvous on your own, or get easy JP/items from meleeing with yourself.

*Shrug* I feel the fact that the new rare items can only be retrieved through multiplay should not take away from the game experience, the translation is better, the cutscenes are fantastic, and there is no reason why you can't enjoy the story (Or beat the final boss) without the Onion set or the genji glove. If you're that much of a stickler to have the game mastered, you should just peruse a friend into buying a copy of their own, they'll love the game, you can get the items later, and the Rendevous are an awesomely challenging experience anyway. So go on, you guys do have friends right? Hell, I'd play with you guys.

Sorry if any of this seems harsh, I'm just sick of hearing the same complaints in every post since the PSP version has come out.

No no I understand the frustration of listening to people whine about this stuff. I had issues with this in TA (co-op is the easist way to obtain the mythril weapon) but everyone I know ditched their GBAs for the DS so we were all screwed and I accept it.

Funny enough, my situation is unique actually. I'm playing through the game right now but I'm borrowing a friends copy of the game as well as his PSP. I'm actually the friend who doesn't own any of the stuff. I'm slightly saddened by the fact I might not be able to collect all the class specific items but its just the completionist in me whining *back hands him to shut up* Oddly enough, I have very few friends who own PSPs and even fewer who are FF fans let alone Tactics. They mostly spend every waking hour playing WoW. Besides that I agree that the new translation alone has made this a wonderful experience for me.

BG-57
03-02-2008, 08:15 PM
My experience with FFVIII and Chocobo World left a bad taste in my mouth and this smacks of a similar ploy. I think in a stand alone game should be possible (if not always easy) to get everything. To have to get a second game to get every last item feels like extortion. If it was a multiplayer focused game that would be a different matter. :mad:

Having said that, I'll most likely buy a PSP and this game because this was my favorite game in the FF series. Also it's a matter of pride that I try this version since I mastered the PSX version.

So does anyone want me to revise my item/armor/weapon lists to reflect the new translations and items?

VorpalCyberWolf
03-03-2008, 08:55 AM
My experience with FFVIII and Chocobo World left a bad taste in my mouth and this smacks of a similar ploy. I think in a stand alone game should be possible (if not always easy) to get everything. To have to get a second game to get every last item feels like extortion. If it was a multiplayer focused game that would be a different matter. :mad:

Having said that, I'll most likely buy a PSP and this game because this was my favorite game in the FF series. Also it's a matter of pride that I try this version since I mastered the PSX version.

So does anyone want me to revise my item/armor/weapon lists to reflect the new translations and items?

Hey, at least this was released in the US (unlike the Pocketstation, which I ended up importing myself) But I always felt a multiplayer feature to FFT would be a grand addition, and the Rendezvous and Melee systems are pretty enjoyable as a result.

As for your list, there is no need, ever single item on that list is unique only to Melee/Rendezvous. If you would like me to post retranslations of all items and locations where you can get them, I can oblige though. Let me know.

BG-57
03-03-2008, 12:42 PM
I agree that having two players plow through levels would be fun; that's not the problem. It's that there are rare items that you can get in no other way. I'm not the type to normally complain but it rubs me the wrong way.

I appreciate the offer for retranslations, but now I have the strategy guide I can see them for myself. I was just curious if anybody else wanted them. :)

Roogle
03-03-2008, 04:56 PM
I agree that having two players plow through levels would be fun; that's not the problem. It's that there are rare items that you can get in no other way. I'm not the type to normally complain but it rubs me the wrong way.

Have you considered trying to use a program like Xlink Kai (http://www.teamxlink.co.uk/) or some other online client to play through the multiplayer levels with another player? I think that you would have less of a grievance if the multiplayer levels did not require any extra effort; rather, if they were like a new sidequest that did not require another player, I think people would have less of a problem with the Genji Shield, Genji Helmet, Genji Armor, and Genji Bracer being removed from the main game.

BG-57
03-03-2008, 07:45 PM
I have considered it and may end up doing that, as it would be less expensive than buying an extra copy of the game or inducing a friend to purchase another copy.

Yeah, I'm not opposed to bonus levels per se. And I don't mind certain items being hard to get (like the FFXII Zodiac Spear). I mean it's great if you have local friends with the game already. But it's tougher for those that don't.