PDA

View Full Version : Oh my god, they're exsanguinating me!

Momiji
01-31-2008, 08:51 PM
Have you ever donated blood? I just did today, and nearly passed out near the end-- everything went black for about 30 seconds. :p

It was my first time, for the blood drive at school. I wasn't the only one to have complications though, a couple people literally passed out and had to go home, they missed the vein in one of my friend's arms, and my cousin clotted up when he was donating.

Either way, I'm satisfied that I'm helping someone when the time comes.

XxSephirothxX
01-31-2008, 08:54 PM
No. I'm not afraid of needles, in general, but the first time I had blood taken when I was a kid it freaked me out pretty terribly and I was extremely resistant to ever do it again.

I got sick last year and had to do it, though, and it wasn't bad at all, which helped kill the stigma. But I still don't want needles anywhere near my veins.

Rye
01-31-2008, 08:54 PM
I could never give blood. I wish I could, but getting even a little bit of blood drawn out of a vein at the doctor terrifies me. I shake and cry and try to run away.

LunarWeaver
01-31-2008, 08:56 PM
I'm not scared of needles or getting blood drawn at all, but when they came to my high school and I tried they told me no because I don't weigh enough ;_; I think it's just a conspiracy against me, but then again I think the toilet is a conspiracy too.

rubah
01-31-2008, 08:57 PM
haha, I watched an episode of the x-files where they used that word a lot and I lolled at it.

I have tried to give blood. The preliminary test almost made me faint.

Dolentrean
01-31-2008, 08:57 PM
I have never donated blood, but I have thought about selling blood. I was on this medication once where they would have to draw blood regularly to see if they were giving me to high of a doseage. I never really had any issue with it.

Cookie
01-31-2008, 08:59 PM
Have you ever donated blood? I just did today, and nearly passed out near the end

Haha, pansy.

a couple people literally passed out and had to go home

Haha, pansies.

Also, I've never donated blood.

Flying Mullet
01-31-2008, 09:02 PM
I tried to, but was blacklisted because I lived in the UK for three months in 1995. They said that I could have Mad Cow Disease and the only way to test for it is post-mortem.

Which made me think, doesn't that mean that basically the UK shouldn't be donating blood at all?

oddler
01-31-2008, 09:05 PM
Have you ever donated blood? I just did today, and nearly passed out near the end

Haha, pansy.

Haha, pansies.

I'm a pansy, it seems.

Zeldy
01-31-2008, 09:09 PM
No, I havent, as I'm not old enough to do so, but I will when I'm old enough; if it wasn't for people giving blood my Mum wouldn't be alive. Her operation (having her womb removed) had complications and didn't go to plan and she lost tons of blood.

Raebus
01-31-2008, 09:11 PM
My blood would be too reactive. Once, a tiny bit of my blood was in a sample dish and it was touched with a live wire. The blood itself moved and I transformed into the thing and since then, I've learned to keep my blood in me to avoid harming people.

Jess
01-31-2008, 09:11 PM
I went to give blood once but I wasn't allowed because I'd been sick in the previous 24 hours. I'll give blood next time the chance arises, if I can - but I need to be tested for anemia first and I've always had a low level of iron in my blood (I used to have to take tablets for it when I was younger) and anemia runs in my family, so I don't know whether I'll be allowed to yet.

I'm not scared of needles, though - as I've had piercings and a tattoo. :jess:

rubah
01-31-2008, 09:12 PM
I tried to, but was blacklisted because I lived in the UK for three months in 1995. They said that I could have Mad Cow Disease and the only way to test for it is post-mortem.

Which made me think, doesn't that mean that basically the UK shouldn't be donating blood at all?

obviously all UKers already have it and a double dose won't hurt them any.

Namelessfengir
01-31-2008, 09:15 PM
its my blood .... MINE!!!!!

Bahamut2000X
01-31-2008, 09:17 PM
I gave blood last week. It's not too bad, my only problem is my blood doesn't like to flow so it takes longer then it should.

My first time they missed the vein completely so they just shifted the needle around until they hit it, hurt quite a bit and made me unable to move my arm fully for about a day or so cause of how they did it.

The Summoner of Leviathan
01-31-2008, 10:17 PM
I have donated blood before. I liked it and it was fun. Felt kinda weird though.

Unfortunately, due to various policies practised by Hema-Quebec, they will no longer take blood donations from me. Otherwise, I would donate again.

Tavrobel
01-31-2008, 10:27 PM
The last time I had blood taken was for a test sometime around 14 years. As for giving blood, I don't see why not. You make new blood anyways. Slip in some OJ and you're good to go.

cloud21zidane16
01-31-2008, 10:28 PM
Ive never donated blood, never really thought about it but i probably will one day.

Momiji
02-01-2008, 02:05 AM

Haha, pansy.

Haha, pansies.

Then you have no room to speak.

Giving that much blood at once (especially for a first timer like me) takes a major toll on the body. I wasn't scared or anything. I only got a little screwed up in the end because my body was trying to adjust.

Then again, I've felt horrible ever since I came home.

rubah
02-01-2008, 02:13 AM
The last time I had blood taken was for a test sometime around 14 years. As for giving blood, I don't see why not. You make new blood anyways. Slip in some OJ and you're good to go.

nurse wouldn't let me is why not.

also some people have veins that collapse or something so they can't. etc etc etc etc

maybe one day I'll get over my fear of skin piercing.

Seraphic
02-01-2008, 02:50 AM
When I was actually old enough to donate blood I couldn't because of some rule against donors who have had relations with other males, or having relations with a male whos had relations with another male.
Its all very strange and hazy to me.

Momiji
02-01-2008, 02:55 AM
When I was actually old enough to donate blood I couldn't because of some rule against donors who have had relations with other males, or having relations with a male whos had relations with another male.
Its all very strange and hazy to me.

I didn't know they had a rule against that. I know they question if you have had relations with another male before in the survey (which I haven't, of course, nor with a female), but I didn't know they'd turn you away if you had.

It's a shame really, giving blood is a great thing to do, or so I'm told.

Madame Adequate
02-01-2008, 03:12 AM
My blood. Not anyone else's. Mine. They want some, they can manufacture more of their own.

mooglebunni608
02-01-2008, 04:08 AM
I'm not old enough. I remember getting blood drawn when I was sick, though, and the nice nurse said that if I wanted anything from my parents, then was the perfect time to ask <3

Ouch!
02-01-2008, 04:54 AM
I used to get regular blood tests to check the levels of my medications, other than that, no. I've never donated blood because I'm not legally allowed. Originally I wasn't allowed to give blood until I turned fourteen (five years after moving back to the States from Indonesia), but after the whole Mad Cow Disease scare, I'm not allowed to give blood (for the rest of the my life) because I lived in Norway for five years.

Marshall Banana
02-01-2008, 05:53 AM
I'll die before I let anyone come near me with a syringe again.

fire_of_avalon
02-01-2008, 06:24 AM
haha, I watched an episode of the x-files where they used that word a lot and I lolled at it.

The iron test? Lordy. Are your ears pierced?

Then you have no room to speak.

Giving that much blood at once (especially for a first timer like me) takes a major toll on the body. I wasn't scared or anything. I only got a little screwed up in the end because my body was trying to adjust.

Then again, I've felt horrible ever since I came home.
I'm always pretty cranky in the few hours after I donate. I just have to be by myself a while and then I'm all better.

My blood. Not anyone else's. Mine. They want some, they can manufacture more of their own.
Stingy.

Also, I really think the male/male sex question is way, way, way discriminatory these days. I can gets AIDS and STDs just as easily by having sex with another chick but they don't ask that question.

Good for you, PP/Momiji. Way to support life and stuff. :) I need to donate ASAP.

Avarice-ness
02-01-2008, 06:36 AM
I've never given blood because:

1. I hate needles.
2. My blood's not as healthy as other people's and I get denied anyways.

So look at it this way, one day you're blood may go to me! :D

rubah
02-01-2008, 07:36 AM

The iron test? Lordy. Are your ears pierced?

Yes, and the second after they were I started crying bloody murder and wished I hadn't agreed to this plan, but it was too late to stop. I think I cried for twenty minutes actually xD That's why I take care to keep them from ever growing up, ever, because I like to wear earrings and I know I couldn't bear getting them punctured again, in fact I twinged just now thinking about it.

Also, that was 2nd grade and I hadn't had the ordeal of as many needles sticking me as I have had since (for example, tetanus shots). Also I wasn't so easily grossed out by the idea of TEARING FLESH (for example, hog wire up the toes, cat food can across the pinky).

Basically I thought about it too hard.

(when I got immunized for college, the nurse lady realized I was freaking out and did some matronly soothing act, but it still took a while to get over it ;o)

[edit- I kinda want to throw up now ;o]

Breine
02-01-2008, 09:23 AM
I haven't done it yet, but I'd like to some day.

Momiji
02-01-2008, 02:00 PM
Also, I really think the male/male sex question is way, way, way discriminatory these days. I can gets AIDS and STDs just as easily by having sex with another chick but they don't ask that question.

Good for you, PP/Momiji. Way to support life and stuff. :) I need to donate ASAP.

Yeah-- I mean, is it not better to have an STD and still live than to die on the operating table?

And thanks, I plan on doing it again when I can. At least now I know I can't give 2 pints like I wanted to yesterday--I really would have passed out then! :p

~*~Celes~*~
02-01-2008, 02:09 PM
Well the blood drive hasn't been to my school yet but when it gets there I might do it.

Chemical
02-01-2008, 02:40 PM
I actually love needles, it's a morbid obsession...
Not that I'm a heroine junkie or anything.

Anyways, I've attempted to give blood on several occassions and only succeeded once. My problem is that I am such a tiny girl, if I haven't had enough protein, or if it's that certain time of the month.... my platelettes will drop to the point where they're not comfortable with taking my blood for safety reasons.

but i've thought about donating more:
organs (when I die...)
My mother will get my kidney no doubt - she's got Hep C (i can't remember.. might be B or A)
Bone Marrow (I heard this is exceptionally painful)

The Summoner of Leviathan
02-01-2008, 04:08 PM

AIDS is still, sadly, labelled as the "gay disease". :/ I mean I cannot donate blood because of the things I have done, even though me and my boyfriend have no prior sexual experience meaning we are clean (as far as I understand it).

Seriously, if you go to an actual clinic, get tested for AIDS and STIs, and turn out clean. You should be able to show that to the people and they should accept it (assuming it was a recent thing). Also, most people who are donating blood are usually the type that want to help others, not harm others. :/

Parker
02-01-2008, 04:40 PM
I'm not allowed due to tainted blood. :(
I'd love to though.

Blue Harvest
02-01-2008, 08:36 PM
I would give blood except I have a severe needle phobia. I can't even watch other people get injections >.<