PDA

View Full Version : Help me out, kiddos!

Rye
02-01-2008, 01:05 AM
I need more immersion into classical music. I'm going into music in college, and I feel like I don't listen to enough. Basically, the only classical music I listen to is opera, because that's what I sing. I'm in Honors Choir, but we rarely sing classical music (we sing african processional after african processional and gospel music, it's awful, that's almost ALL we sing D: ), so I don't get all that much immersion from that. I'd really like to listen to more orchestral choral pieces.

My main problem with a lot of the classical music I have heard, is that it's too happy. I don't like a lot of the happier sounding instruments, and it sounds empty to me. I love violins, minor chords, all that jazz.

A perfect example would be Lacrymosa, the Mozart Requiem. It's absolutely beautiful, and so full of genuine human emotion. I'm in love with every single part of the piece of music. We're actually singing it in Honors Choir, for once, since we hardly ever do classical pieces.

Anyway, that'd be a good example of what I like. I also like Carmina Burana, but who doesn't. So please recommend me some pieces.

Kawaii Ryûkishi
02-01-2008, 01:16 AM
Tannhäuser and Die Meistersinger von Nürnberg, both by Richard Wagner.

Madame Adequate
02-01-2008, 01:18 AM
Dvorak's American Symphony.

Rimsky-Korsakov's Sheherezade.

Momiji
02-01-2008, 03:22 AM
What's wrong Rye, getting tired of Hannah Montana? :p

Anyway, I'd help you, but I don't listen to classical music and I have no clue what to mention.

I Took the Red Pill
02-01-2008, 04:13 AM
Adagio for Strings by Samuel Barber.

Big D
02-01-2008, 05:11 AM
Beethoven's symphonies and piano sonatas are incomparable. Nothing too 'happy' there, with obvious exceptions like the 'Ode to Joy'.

Gustav Holst's The Planets covers the full gamut of emotions, with a different piece for each planet/God/sensation.

For something a little more modern, try Igor Stravinsky's The Rites of Spring (La Sacre du Printemp, if I remember correctly). Lots of pagan, elemental, tempestuous passion there.

Momiji
02-01-2008, 02:02 PM
Gustav Holst's The Planets covers the full gamut of emotions, with a different piece for each planet/God/sensation.

I forgot about Holst though! When I was in band a few years ago, we played 'Jupiter' from The Planets and it was one of my favorite songs to play. (Note: I played alto sax.)

Old Manus
02-01-2008, 03:29 PM
Dvorak's New World Symphony
Rachmaninoff's Piano Concerto 2
Rachmaninoff's *
Erik Satie's Gymnopedies (especially number 1)
Edvard Greig's Peer Gynt suite
THE PLANETS
Mascagni's Intermezzo from the Cavelleria Rusticana
Prokofiev's Dance of the Knights
1812 Overture (all 17 or so minutes)

And if you fancy some lulz, the Hungarian Rhapsody No. 2 by Liszt :p

Sergeant Hartman
02-01-2008, 03:35 PM
Tchaikovsky represent.

rubah
02-01-2008, 06:57 PM
I'm not sure if these are strictly 'classical' (compared to romantic, baroque etc), but they're old and they're instrumental :p

Rachmaniov (sp? xD I can't name any songs, just look him up on y outube))
Tchesnekoff - Salvation is Created
Saint-Saens - Danse Macabre
farandole by Bizet might be too happy, but investigate into his other works (Carmen) to make sure.

Rye
02-01-2008, 07:58 PM
Thanks guys, I'll check them all out tonight! :jess:

Edvard Greig's Peer Gynt suite

Edvard Greig is amazing. I've only heard Solvejg's Lied, but it's one of my favorite pieces ever. Very difficult to sing though, I attempted to learn it but I just had the hardest time. I forgot to include that in my OP.

Polaris
02-01-2008, 09:25 PM
Adagio by Albinoni Tomasso trust me those 11 minutes are worth! It's the best classic song I've heard so far!:D

El Bandito
02-01-2008, 10:35 PM
Mussorgsky's "Pictures at an Exhibition" is great. Listening to the last movement ("Great Gate of Kiev") on a good sound system at high volumes gives me goosebumps. (I highly recommend the orchestral version, but the piano suite is also good)

Also you should try Shostakovich's work.

Both balance perfectly loud and brash movements with soft, gentle ones.

Old Manus
02-01-2008, 11:45 PM
Adagio by Albinoni Tomasso trust me those 11 minutes are worth! It's the best classic song I've heard so far!:DRepresent

Kawaii Ryûkishi
02-01-2008, 11:57 PM
Adagio by Albinoni Tomasso trust me those 11 minutes are worth! It's the best classic song I've heard so far!:DBrian Carper loves this stuff.

Little Al
02-03-2008, 02:49 AM
I'd help you, but I don't listen to classical music and I have no clue what to mention.
Same thing with me. Hehehe... :riiight: But I do know which composers of whose works are worth listening to. Composers like Beethoven and Chopin are good examples.

I hope this helps!

EDIT: I know alt least one of these composers were mentioned already. I'm just trying to help here.

DK
02-03-2008, 02:55 AM
Gustav Holst's The Planets

This.