PDA

View Full Version : A stupid idea

Future Esthar
02-03-2008, 04:46 PM
It is a stupid idea for Ulti to compress time.
It would kill her parents and she would cease to exist.
Even if our characters are her ancestor she is trying to kill them.

McLovin'
02-03-2008, 09:01 PM
She's batty!

Serapy
02-03-2008, 10:20 PM
Hyne = Person name here/Ulti

Big D
02-03-2008, 10:49 PM
Compressing time wouldn't necessarily kill her parents. If all time is turned into a single unit, then notions like 'past' and 'future' are irrelevant, so 'changing the past' would no longer matter either.

Serapy
02-03-2008, 10:52 PM
She compressed time because she wanted to lurk Squall/his party into meeting her at the end. Why else she used TC?

Future Esthar
02-04-2008, 08:50 PM
I am sorry but causality still exists on TC.This isnīt forbidden by the game.This same game says TC kills people.

lte
02-05-2008, 11:58 PM
It's funny. usually in games like these they give reason for the main villain to destroy the world or something like that. The only line in the game that could be considered as reason for time compression would propably be:

Esthar Airstation: Rinoa? The sorceress!? She's on the ship!?

Squall: (So... It's true? Rinoa is a sorceress?)

Rinoa: I've... become a sorceress. I can't stay with you anymore, Squall.

Esthar Airstation: Respond, Ragnarok!

Rinoa: I don't want the future. I want the present to stand still. I just want
to stay here with you...

Squall: (Rinoa...)

Esthar Airstation: Respond, Ragnarok!

Rinoa: Nobody would want to be around me anymore...

Yay! Here we go with the R=U theory but basically with parallel universes and sorceress sealing this could be possible (GameFAQs FF8 Plot analysis (http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/psx/file/197343/28926)). (Well with time travel and parallel universes you could create any kinds of theories so it's totally pointless to argue about anything related to these theories. The hell, I could propably even create a theory about Ultimecia being Squall's mom with stuff like this.)

Well myself I find that the only reason I can think of for someone compressing time.

Ouch!
02-06-2008, 12:34 AM
(Well with time travel and parallel universes you could create any kinds of theories so it's totally pointless to argue about anything related to these theories. The hell, I could propably even create a theory about Ultimecia being Squall's mom with stuff like this.)
You should check out some more of FE's theories. I think you'll like them. =3

Serapy
02-06-2008, 12:41 AM
to stay here with you...

She sounds like she`s gulity of something, or being worried about something, not wanting her control of the future to interfere the events of present.

Avarice-ness
02-06-2008, 02:46 AM
to stay here with you...

She sounds like she`s gulity of something, or being worried about something, not wanting her control of the future to interfere the events of present.

I agree. I mean right after that she expresses her fear that people wouldn't want to be around her anymore. She knows that once the fact that she's a sorceress got out, nothing would be the same and the only way to keep that safe moment between them would be to say that she wouldn't want time to go on.

She says nothing of the past though, because the past is okay, ironically, like D said TC would make the "past" AND the "future" irrelevent, since she just doesn't want the -future- I don't believe that supports R=U.

Not to mention, if Rinoa wanted time to stop because her love for squall, then why would her future self (ulti) try to not make it the same?

Rinoa's Goal would have been = To stay beside Squall in the most confortable of moments forever
Ulti's goal = To compress time so she could kill the ledgendary SeeD before they killed her in her future time. (Mind you, Squall could easily be this SeeD)

Either it didn't matter because the SeeD killed her and that took priority over her first want or because Rinoa's not Ulti in the first place.

Serapy
02-06-2008, 03:13 AM
Oh, well.

When she has mentioned that dialogue, shortly after, Squall then said that he want to be her knight (I can't find the dialogue). I find that quite overwhelming because earlier in the game, Seifer said he also wanted to be Edea's knight. I know, it's natural for Squall to protect Rinoa because he loves her, but using the "I want to be your knight" dialogue or something similar is just strange. Wrong translation from the japanese version?

Big D
02-06-2008, 03:19 AM
Oh, well.

When she has mentioned that dialogue, shortly after, Squall then said that he want to be her knight (I can't find the dialogue). I find that quite overwhelming because earlier in the game, Seifer said he also wanted to be Edea's knight. I know, it's natural for Squall to protect Rinoa because he loves her, but using the "I want to be your knight" dialogue or something similar is just strange. Wrong translation from the japanese version?Not that strange , in my opinion. From what I can tell, sorceresses in FFVIII's world were traditionally guarded by a knight.

Serapy
02-06-2008, 03:49 AM
Yeah, but Seifer didn't love Edea, didn't he? Yet he wanted to be her knight, I forget why. Using Edea as to his own advantage?

NeoCracker
02-06-2008, 03:51 AM
Because Squall was going after Edea.

Seifer wanted to fight squall, so staying with Edea was just a way to beat him.

Big D
02-06-2008, 03:55 AM
Seifer also had a 'romantic dream', which Squall believed might have something to do with becoming a knight. That, and he wanted power, respect, and violence. After failing the SeeD test yet again, he was pretty desperate for some action.

Avarice-ness
02-06-2008, 04:53 AM
Oh, well.

When she has mentioned that dialogue, shortly after, Squall then said that he want to be her knight (I can't find the dialogue). I find that quite overwhelming because earlier in the game, Seifer said he also wanted to be Edea's knight. I know, it's natural for Squall to protect Rinoa because he loves her, but using the "I want to be your knight" dialogue or something similar is just strange. Wrong translation from the japanese version?

Rinoa
"Nobody would want to be around me anymore..."

"The sorceress will be seized upon arrival. Be sure to follow the crews
instructions."

Rinoa
"I'm...scared."

"Squall, do you copy? Is the sorceress listening, too?"

Rinoa
"I'm scared, Squall."

Rinoa
"I don't wanna go back."

End Scene.

I don't know what to do...
This is just another crossroad in my life. But, for the first time, I don't
know which way to go.
I've come this far because I've...fallen for you.
......Rinoa......
Now...am I just supposed to let you go...?

Scene: Esthar. Rinoa and Squall exit the Ragnarok, and are met by some
Esthar men.
"Sorceress Rinoa."
"Hyne's descendant."
<Rinoa goes to them.>

"Come with us. We must seal your power for the sake of the world."
Rinoa
"......All right."

After Squall saves her from the whole sorcess sealing thing, he thinks to himself.
Squall

(Rinoa......)
(Even if you end up as the world's enemy,)
(I'll...)
(I'll be your knight.)

After searching all the scripting after Rinoa became a sorceress, she never asks him to be her knight, it just ends up Squall's personal decision that he stays too and I'm pretty sure she knows it anyways.

As for Seifer loving Edea, like it was said in the Rinoa finger-sign thing, the sorceress can control her knight, so becoming her knight may or may not have been his choice. I think it was more like brainwashing and picking at psychological damage as shown by the scene where he willingly goes with Edea after she talks to him.

<Seifer leaves, dragging Deling with him. Quistis runs after him.>
Timber-TV Station-Back room

Seifer
"!?"

"...Poor, poor boy..."

<A strange woman comes through a wall.>

Seifer
"Stay away from me!"

"Such a confused little boy. Are you going to step forward? Retreat? You have to decide."

Seifer
"Stay back!"

<Quistis enters, but the woman uses magic to knock her down.>

"The boy in you is telling you to come. The adult in you is telling you to

back off."

"You can't make up your mind. You don't know the right answer."

"You want help, don't you? You want to be saved from this predicament."

Seifer
"Shut up!"

"Don't be ashamed to ask for help. Besides, you're only a little boy."

Seifer
"I'm not...Stop calling me a boy."

"You don't want to be a boy anymore?"

Seifer
"I am not a BOY!"

"Come with me to a place of no return. Bid farewell to your childhood."

<Seifer lets go of the president, and Deling runs away. Seifer waves as
Squall, Zell and Selphie enter. The woman uses magic to paralyse them.
Seifer and the woman walk through the wall.>

All full scripts can be found here:
Script and FMV descriptions - Disc One (http://www.rpgamer.com/games/ff/ff8/text/script/ff8d1script.txt)
Script and FMV descriptions - Disc Two (http://www.rpgamer.com/games/ff/ff8/text/script/ff8d2script.txt)
Script and FMV descriptions - Disc Three (http://www.rpgamer.com/games/ff/ff8/text/script/ff8d3script.txt)
Script and FMV descriptions - Disc Four (http://www.rpgamer.com/games/ff/ff8/text/script/ff8d4script.txt)

Aerith's Knight
02-06-2008, 02:29 PM
and avarice-ness takes the win

:kaocheer: :kaocheer: :kaocheer: :kaocheer: :kaocheer:

Serapy
02-06-2008, 02:55 PM
I didn't say he asked her to be her knight, I said he wanted to be her knight but the script actually says that he will be her knight.

Squall: (Rinoa......) (Even if you end up as the world's enemy.) (I'll...)
(I'll be your knight.)

Roogle
02-06-2008, 03:25 PM
to stay here with you...

It sounds to me like the writers would trying to hint at the concept of the motivation behind Time Compression. I would imagine that they would have attempted to make Ultimecia more sympathetic to the player by drawing a parallel of some kind to Rinoa if they had more development time.

Hasn't anyone felt like that once - to let every passing moment cease to be and live only for that specific moment?