PDA

View Full Version : Reckless Purchases

rubah
02-04-2008, 10:02 PM
About a week ago i purchased a mechanical scale ($14, $7 shipping) to weigh things such as books (as a member of bookmooch.com, this behooves me I believe).

A few months ago, apparently I purchased a ride on a go-kart ($.35). At the time, I thought this was built into our university fees. Not so, apparently. A $.35 charge has been crouching in my student account for a month or so now. Finally today after having looked at it for two months, I see it now has an explanation of WHY it exists. See aforementioned go-kart ride. "Safe Ride" they call it.

anyways, I whip out the ol' plastic to give Dad a heart attack when he notes a $.35 charge by the university of arkansas on next month's bill.

I think I have seen people pay such middling charges with plastic or check before, but not too often. I would gloat about how the university has to pay a charge to use my card's services, but that's probably built into my university fees also.

Or else I'll have a $.40 charge NEXT semester.

(Soon I'll have to purchase postage credit I can determine by my cute little mechanical scale (pictures anyone?), but that's not so reckless a purchase, I don't think. (bookmooch HO!).)

scrumpleberry
02-04-2008, 11:03 PM
I do that.

"A pair of shoes that actually look hideous but my brain hasn't acknowledged the fact yet? HECK YEAH!"

A few hours pass...

"Good lord, I'm stupid!"

And I'm always too embarrased to return them.

rubah
02-04-2008, 11:16 PM
I would return them anyways. Wear a spartan mask.

Avarice-ness
02-04-2008, 11:19 PM
I bought a 149$ Coach purse, then realized it was to small later.

After a while though, I realized that there are times in life that I may need only my wallet and a pen, in which the purse came in handy.

Then I bought 118$ pair of boots that I only wore twice. I prolly should have taken them back, but it's to late now because they got lost somewhere on the move from Texas to Wisconsin.

Then my dad bought me a 214$ pair of Versace sunglasses. I love them but I only regret getting him to buy them for me because he's in another country now and I can't afford to get perscription lenses specially cut into them.

Oh, and then this 64$ Guess shirt that just sits in my closet. I would take it back but I've lost my receipt.

And then the brand new desktop I bought in November, but the only reason I regret it is because my boyfriend loves it so much and it annoys me.

Oh, and then I got another WoW subscription for this month and I don't even wanna play anymore.

Oh and this CD rack that has burnable cd's that I've never even touched. It was on sale though so that's okies.

I feel kind of stupid for buying this little dish chair too, but when I got it I didn't have any other furniture in my apartment, but now that I have my sofa no one sits on it 'cept me and then I feel far away 'cause it's in the corner.

I never use the bill file either.. or my coupon book.

If we can't see, I impulse buy, if I want it then I buy it. :( I like stuff, even if I never use them. (Yeah I horde stuff and it IS a problem.)

Araciel
02-04-2008, 11:21 PM
Things that I don't eat, I always keep and never really find that I made a bad decision in buying them. But I don't buy much anyway.

Little Al
02-04-2008, 11:31 PM
I cannot say for myself because I have bad memory when it comes to things like those. But when it comes to my mom shopping, she goes beyond the limit. (And that really is saying something)

Parker
02-04-2008, 11:42 PM
I bought a girl a guitar with money I didn't have and then she dumped me :(

Captain Maxx Power
02-04-2008, 11:53 PM
Being both male and from "The North" of England I'm genetically predisposed to be an utter tight-arse when it comes to money. Hence I genuinely cannot remember the last time I bought something recklessly.

Aerith's Knight
02-05-2008, 12:36 AM
i spend 2000 dollars in the last 2 weeks.. so im guessing the credit card company is pretty happy

Vermachtnis
02-05-2008, 12:43 AM
Does buying anime I can get off the internet for free count as reckless, or stupid as my friend puts it? Also, probably buying the Sega Genisis Collection just for Phantasy Star IV, may have been a bit reckless.

Caraliz
02-05-2008, 01:05 AM
I try not to recklessly buy things. I'm also a tight-arse when it comes to money. xD I horde like hell until I'm like "no, this purchase has depth to it"

escobert
02-05-2008, 02:44 AM
I try not to recklessly buy things. I'm also a tight-arse when it comes to money. xD I horde like hell until I'm like "no, this purchase has depth to it"

you're taking care of my money from now on xD

the last few months I've been pretty good with spending but I have been known to buy things for no reason.

Momiji
02-05-2008, 02:56 AM
I'm not very good with money, I'll admit. If it's an absolute need to hold onto some money, I will make sure I hold on to it. Otherwise, if there's something I want, I'll probably buy it.

...because of this, I now own a few stupid video games and lame cds that I can't get rid of now. x_x

Caraliz
02-05-2008, 03:06 AM

the last few months I've been pretty good with spending but I have been known to buy things for no reason.
babe all we be spendin' money on is blunts and pizza.

Heath
02-05-2008, 11:15 AM
Being both male and from "The North" of England I'm genetically predisposed to be an utter tight-arse when it comes to money. Hence I genuinely cannot remember the last time I bought something recklessly.

I'm originally from Merseyside and I'm an utter tight-arse.

But yeah, I honestly can't think of the last thing I bought recklessly. I only ever buy things if I've thought them through and actually have a use for them. I suppose my habit of buying more books than I can read would be considered fairly reckless but I get around to reading them eventually. And it's not like second hand books are expensive really.

escobert
02-05-2008, 05:39 PM

babe all we be spendin' money on is blunts and pizza.

<3

Breine
02-05-2008, 05:45 PM
I spend way too much money on CDs and DVDs, but that's about it. I tend to really think things over before I buy stuff.

Quindiana Jones
02-05-2008, 06:29 PM
I bought 12 cookies from Subway for £4, because it meant I saved £2. I then realised I could've got 15 delicious, PROPER cookies from Sainsbury's next door.

Proof that sales work.

The Jamie Star Scenario
02-05-2008, 07:12 PM
Yeah I do that sometimes. I bought a puppy once and about a week later I suddenly realised that I didn't really want a puppy and I was quite happy with the gold fish I already had so I put the puppy into a plastic bag and threw it into my local water logged quarry.

Akaria
02-05-2008, 07:24 PM
I almost bought Secret of Mana for SNES last night off of eBay...From the first guy I saw selling it. Which happened to be about $120 when someone else was selling it with the strategy guide for $42. I have yet to buy it, but it is kind of impulsey...I have it for emulator already =\

Jess
02-05-2008, 08:09 PM
Clothes. Tops, shirts and t-shirts in particular. I have so many tops in comparison to trousers and skirts, but I can't stop buying them. I'm like 'ooooh that's nice~' and I can't resist.

I'm not so bad now, I spent a lot of money on clothes when I had a full-time job. I avoid going shopping now unless I actually need to buy something because I don't want to waste money, plus it's winter and walking around in the cold all day isn't very appealing. :jess:

I bought 12 cookies from Subway for £4, because it meant I saved £2. I then realised I could've got 15 delicious, PROPER cookies from Sainsbury's next door.

Proof that sales work.
Subway cookies are love. :heart:

Quindiana Jones
02-05-2008, 08:23 PM
They suck. :( Sainsbury's All Butter ones are better. 15 delicious circles of sexiness for only £1.09.

Tasura
02-05-2008, 11:00 PM
I am an impulse buyer. "Oh look, a game I never heard of, BUT ITS ON SALE!" Hence how I went from 52ish PS2 games to over 80 in 2 weeks. And how I now have a 360 and 6 games. And I virtually doubled my DS collection too. To the tune of almost $2,000 in about 5 months. Then there's my booze buying habbits; "Duuuude, that bottle os orange and has flames on it!" "That bottles has an awesome shape!" "whoooa, that has a rope around the neck." Blasted flashy bottles forcing me to buy them.

Akaria
02-06-2008, 04:01 AM
Then there's my booze buying habbits; "Duuuude, that bottle os orange and has flames on it!" "That bottles has an awesome shape!" "whoooa, that has a rope around the neck." Blasted flashy bottles forcing me to buy them.

If I made one that was glittery and ripply and tasted like kiwi strawberry when (if?) you lick it, would you buy it?:D

Quindiana Jones
02-06-2008, 12:51 PM
Then there's my booze buying habbits; "Duuuude, that bottle os orange and has flames on it!" "That bottles has an awesome shape!" "whoooa, that has a rope around the neck." Blasted flashy bottles forcing me to buy them.

If I made one that was glittery and ripply and tasted like kiwi strawberry when (if?) you lick it, would you buy it?:D

You just described my penis.

Loony BoB
02-06-2008, 01:02 PM
Nah. I plan my purchases for the most part, and I have a spreadsheet that shows me how much spendable money I have for the remainder of any given month. I update it every 1-2 days thanks to internet banking.

Quindiana Jones
02-06-2008, 01:51 PM
^ I wish I could/could be arsed to do that.

Loony BoB
02-06-2008, 02:47 PM
Takes about a minute per day, if that. Easy.

Quindiana Jones
02-06-2008, 02:57 PM
I'm lazy. And haven't used Excel for yonks. :bigsmile:

Tasura
02-06-2008, 03:29 PM

If you're talking about the booze itself, yes, if you're talking about the bottle, yes, because I tend to lick bottles to gather up and drops that have spilled down the neck.

Peegee
02-06-2008, 03:52 PM
I'm VERY bad with spending money. After all necessary expenses are covered, I spend what's left instead of 'saving for a rainy day'.

Consequently, I've adopted an 'out of sight, out of mind' solution -- I invest a ridiculously high percentage of my paycheck, and the rest of the money is automatically deposited in a savings / second checking account I don't have access to via ATMs or the like.

So I can't spend a large portion of my money. The money I have left is spent on food and gasoline, James and Ashley (just kidding!), and if my friends actually bothered to do something, maybe them.

This works for me. And trust me, if you think that's excessive, you're talking to / reading the post of somebody who could easily outshop you.

The last 'reckless' purchase I made recently was 250 dollars in clothes at Randy River -- while they had a 'store closing sale' where most everything was between 50-90% off.

I had 4 bags of clothes to bring home.

~*~Celes~*~
02-06-2008, 05:38 PM
I had $17.50 stashed away so I can save up (don't have a job or a bank account yet -.o) and had to spend $3 on lunch at school. I've had that money since Christmas...That's actually decent for me o.o Usually I would have gone out and bought something by now but I'm determined to save up.

escobert
02-06-2008, 06:18 PM
$17 is going to get you much xD

rubah
02-06-2008, 11:27 PM
man, and I thought I didn't get much money for christmas.

Akaria
02-07-2008, 11:02 AM
Originally Bespoken by Akaria http://forums.eyesonff.com/images/buttons/lastpost.gif (http://forums.eyesonff.com/general-chat/114459-reckless-purchases.html#post2417538)
Originally Bespoken by Chaos Is the Key http://forums.eyesonff.com/images/buttons/lastpost.gif (http://forums.eyesonff.com/general-chat/114459-reckless-purchases.html#post2417405)
You just described my penis.You should maybe get that glittery-ness and kiwi strawberry-ness checked out...I hear those are the symptoms of herpes:shifty:

If you're talking about the booze itself, yes, if you're talking about the bottle, yes, because I tend to lick bottles to gather up and drops that have spilled down the neck.
That'll be ready for you in a week or so:tongue: