PDA

View Full Version : A good prehistoric/medieval RTS?

Loony BoB
02-05-2008, 09:15 PM
Like Age of Empires I, only recent enough to have good graphics. That's what I'm after. None of this gun crap that has no place in an RTS.

Madame Adequate
02-05-2008, 09:32 PM
A Total War game might fit the bill. Otherwise it's guns or older stuff, at least as far as I can think of.

Yamaneko
02-05-2008, 09:41 PM
Medieval 2 is $40 on Steam now. It's the most recent game in the series.

XxSephirothxX
02-05-2008, 09:47 PM
I have a friend who is absolutely obsessed with Rome: Total War and Medieval II: Total War. Either one would probably satisfy you quite well.

Psychotic
02-05-2008, 09:56 PM
I was coming to this thread to recommend Rome: Total War and the original Medieval: Total War, both of which I own, but I see you guys have got it covered.

Loony BoB
02-05-2008, 10:28 PM
From what I've read, these are both turn-based. :(

DK
02-05-2008, 10:40 PM
Don't think so, they seemed to be pretty real time on that TV show that used to be on BBC2 that used the engine the game was based on!

Psychotic
02-05-2008, 10:41 PM
The battles themselves are real-time.

The actual campaign side of things is turn-based, sure, but that's just managing your cities and moving units around the world map and the likes.
Don't think so, they seemed to be pretty real time on that TV show that used to be on BBC2 that used the engine the game was based on!I loved Time Commanders.

On a random note, I recreated 300 using Total War. Made myself an army of 300 Spartan Hoplites, then had hordes and hordes and hordes come at me in a small pass (actually it was on a bridge but oh well, the effect is still the same) elephants and all. Naturally I slaughtered them!

I Don't Need A Name
02-05-2008, 11:10 PM
you got slaughtered didnt you paul? xD
dont get the first medieval total war though, its too old to have 'good' graphics.
the expansions on Rome arent as good as the normal game though
the Kingdoms expansion for Medieval II is good though.
i enjoyed killing Saladin on Crusades :D

Psychotic
02-06-2008, 12:24 AM
Absolutely not. I may have given my Spartan buddies all the upgrades, but y'know, movie says they're elite and we were still massively outnumbered. :monster:
dont get the first medieval total war though, its too old to have 'good' graphics.I like them. :( Although lack of being able to drag a selection box around units fails incredibly hard.

Captain Maxx Power
02-06-2008, 12:31 AM
If the Total War series isn't to your taste then you can try out Cossacks or Stronghold. Cossacks is a traditional isometric build-'em-up while Stronghold is actually based around maintaining a castle which is actually quite neat.

Yamaneko
02-06-2008, 05:52 AM
Give Company of Heroes a chance, dude. It makes all other RTSs look archaic by comparison.

Markus. D
02-06-2008, 08:40 AM
Disgaea. :3

I Don't Need A Name
02-07-2008, 08:23 PM
Absolutely not. I may have given my Spartan buddies all the upgrades, but y'know, movie says they're elite and we were still massively outnumbered. :monster:
dont get the first medieval total war though, its too old to have 'good' graphics.I like them. :( Although lack of being able to drag a selection box around units fails incredibly hard.

well that explains it

i would think that they are a good game
its just i got them after Rome, so the jumpyness of the movements, and the poor graphics got on my nerves, especially with Medieval 2 on the horizon
cant wait for Empire Total War :up: ship battles :D

Skyblade
02-07-2008, 08:31 PM
There is always Warcraft III.