PDA

View Full Version : Videogame item usage habit!

Pete for President
02-06-2008, 07:32 PM
Straight to the point:

I never dare to use (rare) items. It's a nasty habit. It makes games a whole lot harder and it proves I'm secretly a cheap-***.

Some examples;

In pretty much every FF, I finish the game with tons of mega-potions, x-potions, mega-phoenix and what not unused.

In the Elder Scrolls: Oblivion, whenever I find a rare enchanted weapon I tend to keep in a safe place until the time comes when I really need it. After a couple hours more into the game I find much more powerful weapons, making the others (which didn't want to "waste" for some reason) useless (thus, wasting them, irony anyone?).

Action games suffer from this aswell. Rare guns in shooters, money in pretty much every game, special techniques, i hardly ever dare to use stuff like that because I guess I'm affraid of wasting them.

I want to break this habit!

Anyone else have the same thing going on?

Rase
02-06-2008, 07:41 PM
Yep, that's pretty much exactly how I've always been about games. Don't fight it, just give in.

Shoeberto
02-06-2008, 07:44 PM
I'm the exact same way as well.

Skyblade
02-06-2008, 07:55 PM
Me as well. I hate using items, 'cause I'm always worried about how hard they'll be to replace.

I also hate ammo systems, which leads me to avoid most FPS games.

ljkkjlcm9
02-06-2008, 07:55 PM
HA, I'm far worse

In a game like fire emblem, when you're suppose to start using steel, then silver, then the rare weapons. Until that last chapter... I tend to just keep using iron weapons. I guess this makes me weaker, but I rarely have many problems. I also never use the master seals to upgrade a unit, and always have them level naturally UNLESS they can only heal pre-promoted.

THE JACKEL

Tasura
02-06-2008, 07:56 PM
I'm that way with rare items, but rare gear I tend to equip right away, it's rare for a reason. After I find something better, I hold onto it, unless I've no reason to. Or, if there is a limited item quantity you can hold onto, most MMO's for instance, I either sell it or but it in some form of bank/warehouse.

DK
02-06-2008, 08:06 PM
I only really equip gear if it is better than what I've got, but I'll use it when I can. Similarly I'll use items when I really need it. Money, however, is a different matter. I refuse to spend all my money in shops, I always have to have a ton of it and then spend as little as possible and sell everything I don't need anymore to get some back.

Germ Hamee
02-06-2008, 08:10 PM
Dude, I'm even like that with MP. The concept of having a black mage in my party is utterly wasted on me, because I will NEVER do anything that consumes MP. Unless it's a healer, but even then I'd rather have my people croak than use an ether.

Vermachtnis
02-06-2008, 08:13 PM
I'm kind of like that, but if I'm about to die. I'm going to chuck all those Soma/Megalixers what ever. Items do you no good if your dead. And I chuck like crazy at final bosses, or at least I use too before Game+ became so common place.

JKTrix
02-06-2008, 08:17 PM
I'm like that too. For example, I have never once used a TM in a Pokemon game. I only use HMs because you have to.in order to progress. I tend to shy away from healing items and offensive items in RPGs as well, preferring to stick to a character's abilities. Probably why it's taking me so long to finish some of them :p

Mirage
02-06-2008, 08:20 PM
I use lots of rare items in the final battle, or close to the final battle. I think I threw a Masamune at Kefka :p

Vivisteiner
02-06-2008, 08:21 PM
Me too.

I get scared that if I waste it now, I'll need it later. So I end up not using it at all.

Skyblade
02-06-2008, 08:28 PM
Heh. You guys have mentioned a lot of other things that I also do.

I'm very stingy with MP, causing me to use physical attacks far more than magic in most games.

In Fire Emblem games, I also stay away from the more costly weapons, usually just using whatever normal weapons the enemies drop (I almost never use the special effect weapons, since they count as rare items) and not buying any new weapons unless I have no choice, and then I usually pick up the iron weapons that last forever.

I'm a tightwad when it comes to cash in most games, treating it like I do most items. Unless there are shop-only items, I won't buy things from shops.

And, like JKTrix, I never use TMs in Pokemon games. Since HMs last forever, I don't mind using them, but I get other problems. Since Pokemon can only learn four moves I go absolutely insane trying to figure out which four I should give them. Another limitation problem, but of a slightly different type.

Levian
02-06-2008, 08:29 PM
In Resident Evil games I use the handgun for a large portion of the game, and for the rest I use the shotgun! I never get to use all the cool guns. :/ just saving up for the big bad guy who almost always turns out to be a wuss, or that you don't need a big gun to finish him off, and instead have to rely on timing and shoot on certain devices to indirectly kill it! Whoever's finished the games knows what kinds of bosses I'm talking about.

ljkkjlcm9
02-06-2008, 08:36 PM
In Fire Emblem games, I also stay away from the more costly weapons, usually just using whatever normal weapons the enemies drop (I almost never use the special effect weapons, since they count as rare items) and not buying any new weapons unless I have no choice, and then I usually pick up the iron weapons that last forever.

I just started actually trying to play Radiant Dawn recently, which has third tier classes, new weapons, new basically everything. And I'm sitting here thinking... what happened to my Fire Emblem. I'm actually kinda disappointed in how much they added, and how much more complex they made it. I don't want to HAVE to use a Master Seal if I ever want a unit to reach it's third tier class. I was also the type to only use characters I figured I'd use at the end of the game, but I can't even choose to do that!

UGH, I'm not even sure I want to finish this game anymore. And it's all because of simple things like not wasting good items or experience.

THE JACKEL

Goldenboko
02-06-2008, 08:46 PM
I'm usually the exact opposite. Use now regret later I say :jess:

Mogi
02-06-2008, 09:13 PM
I don't have a problem using items, but I tend to keep the first weapons equipped for all the characters throughout the entire game because I feel attached to them.

ljkkjlcm9
02-07-2008, 12:03 AM
Oh that's another thing. I never sell old equipment if it's a game where you have unlimited storage. I want to keep 1 of everything, I only sell duplicate old armors or something

THE JACKEL

Pete for President
02-07-2008, 12:05 AM
Oh that's another thing. I never sell old equipment if it's a game where you have unlimited storage. I want to keep 1 of everything, I only sell duplicate old armors or something

THE JACKAL
Same here.

Avarice-ness
02-07-2008, 03:27 AM
I tend to over use items.

I figure, if it's in the game it's there for a reason, and if it's able to be used at any given time then I will use it at any given time. If there's something that's needed for a boss or as something that you -need- for one (or multiple) time use but it only used on that one thing, well.. that's usually put in the "Rare item" tab outside of the other items.

If I run out of any items, I'll just farm for money or farm an area where I know the item is dropped.

Now I might have mega-elixirs or x-potions, but it's not because I didn't use them obsessively, it's because I had so many and I didn't need that many.

Skyblade
02-07-2008, 03:36 AM

THE JACKAL

Also guilty. :P

Mirage
02-07-2008, 04:38 AM
Yeah, you never know when you get a quest that requires it, or something.

rubah
02-07-2008, 04:42 AM
NEVER USE ITEMS YOU NEVER KNOW WHEN YOU MIGHT NEED THEM!

Elly
02-07-2008, 05:05 AM
i never use mega healing items untill the final fight and hardly even then... why waste healing items lvling when you can heal with MP untill you run out then spend the nigh at the inn refill the MP and start lvling over again... in my opinion healing items are only necessary during boss fights, if one of my characters dies while lvling i reset the game... rare weapons and stuff i have a tendancy of storing untill they become obsolete and useless to me XD...

with Resident Evil i love the limited ammo and stuff though, i love counting down my bullets as i play (it adds to the suspense), and like another player on here i tend to use the pistols for the first half and the shotguns for the second half and i save the Grenade Launcher and other uber wepons for the final bosses which i rarely need them for in the first place...

Ouch!
02-07-2008, 06:02 AM
The only time I'm careful with items is in games which have an item synthesis system (coughFFIXcough) because you never know when that piece of equipment may no longer be available. I try not to sell equipment to fund new ones in most cases.

Strawberry_Mew
02-07-2008, 08:25 AM
I know the feeling lol. On FFX I bought everything I could buy at a store like 99 items lol even Maps XD

Roogle
02-07-2008, 02:45 PM
I used to enact in similar tendencies; however, I have since realized that it would be pointless to continuously decline to use the rare item since they hardly sell for much. Elixirs have consistently sold for 1 Gil in a majority of the Final Fantasy series, for example.

Jessweeee♪
02-08-2008, 03:14 PM
Me, too ; ;

This is also one of the reasons why I usually choose a hunter/warrior class in RPGs, so I'm not relying on my MP or ammunition to heavily :p

Pointless
02-08-2008, 03:36 PM
I don't have a problem using items, but I tend to keep the first weapons equipped for all the characters throughout the entire game because I feel attached to them.
I always do that. :choc2:

I overcame my problem with using magical items in Oblivion by just giving myself lots of gold via the console and recharging them often. It's cheating but god knows I've put loads of time and effort into playing this game the proper way, so now I'm just having fun. I'm currently modding my house. :P

Bolivar
02-08-2008, 06:22 PM
Certain items like Holy War in FFVIII i definately save to the end.

But if it's a game where I know what the final boss is gonna be like, I've learned to use them when I need them. in alot of the FF's you're not going to need to use most of the elixers/mega/x/whatever in the final fight so I use them when its appropriate. Although its real fun in games like VI, checking every clock to build up your elixers throughout the entire game...only to find the final boss is a piece of cake if you've been searching thoroughly, anyway.

Araciel
02-08-2008, 06:24 PM
My inventory is usually empty. Everything in my game gets used as much as the town ho' Selina.

ljkkjlcm9
02-08-2008, 06:53 PM
The reason I can get away with not using items, is because most of them are not needed. You never have to use an elixir, and it's very rare there is even a situation that calls for one. Because of this, I almost completely forget about my items in general in a game.

THE JACKEL

KoShiatar
02-08-2008, 07:21 PM
I'll equip rare gear and weapons right away, unless they can break and cannot be repaired. But I tend not to use rare items. I keep Megaelixirs and Elixirs for desperate situations, which may or may not happen before the end of the game, except in FF III DS where I can get as many Elixirs as I wish from Dragons.

Nifleheim7
02-08-2008, 08:22 PM
I get scared that if I waste it now, I'll need it later. So I end up not using it at all.

Markus. D
02-09-2008, 02:50 AM
I use items for healing... ya know~ so I can replace a dedicated healer ^_^

DK
02-09-2008, 01:13 PM
Lawl, started playing Lost Odyssey yesterday and my random failure with using money nearly got my ass handed to me 'cause I was supposed to stock up on items near the start and I had around 1k, and only spent 150g on items because I didn't want to run out as per usual. Nearly ended up completely out after getting generally raped by all and sundry. So now I spunked nearly my entire balance on items for like the first time ever.

Mogi
02-11-2008, 12:49 AM
I just realized that I haven't played through KH or KHII using any weapon other than the Kingdom Key, even though I made sure to get all the weapons for everyone.
>.>