PDA

View Full Version : Mario Kart Wii Update

Crossblades
02-07-2008, 12:03 AM
IGN: Mario Kart Update (http://wii.ign.com/articles/849/849925p1.html)

With Smash Bros. at last out (in Japan, at least), Nintendo appears to have penciled in Mario Kart as its next big title. We're assuming that much, considering the unexpected blowout on the game in the latest issue of Famitsu.

The Wii installment of the cart racer that started it all looks like it's going to have lots of variety. Famitsu reveals a total of 32 courses, with 16 remakes of old courses, and 16 completely new courses. New courses include Mario Circuit, Momo Country, Kinopio Factory, DK Snowboard Cross, Coconuts Mall, Kinoko Canyon, and Luigi Circuit.

Some of these courses will put a new feature of the karts to use: mid-air tricks! Karts and bikes are both capable of performing actions and tricks in the air. Get a trick just right, and your cart will perform a dash upon landing.

In addition to a ton of content, Mario Kart Wii will have some serious multiplayer options. The game will include Wi-Fi based play for up to 12 players. You'll be able to select to play against players from throughout the world, players in your country, and players on your friend list.

As part of the new network mode, Nintendo will be making use of the Wii's Channel interface in yet another unique way. We're not sure of the specifics, but it seems that you'll be able to install a Mario Kart Channel to your Wii hub to view world rankings as well as your own records.

Going along with the Wi-Fi multiplayer play, Nintendo will be giving players a means of customizing the game. You'll be able to make your very own Mii ride a bike or kart, adding that bit of you to online races.

The online mode will also expand the single player fun. The game will offer downloadable ghost data, so you can play against some of the best players.

Not big on the whole internet thing? In addition to the Wi-Fi play, the game will also let players play together the old fashioned way: through split screen for up to four.

With this Famitsu blowout just hitting Japan, we expect the Nintendo marketing machine to start getting into gear and remind everyone why Mario Kart is so great. If, as a part of that initiative, we get a chance to sample the Wii installment in advance, you can be sure we'll let you know.

Marshall Banana
02-07-2008, 12:29 AM
I love racing as Bowser, and I hope that there is a course in which we can run over Toads in the next installment of Mario Kart!

KentaRawr!
02-07-2008, 01:07 AM
I wonder if we'll be seeing the Kart-Selection systems from Mario Kart DS and Double Dash.

Crossblades
02-08-2008, 02:44 AM
I wonder if we'll be seeing the Kart-Selection systems from Mario Kart DS and Double Dash.

Well in this version you have an option of playing with a bike or a kart, so I'd have to say yeah

Evastio
02-08-2008, 02:53 AM
Oooh, racing as Miis will be fun. I hope you'll be able to customize the Miis' kart stats as if they're custom characters. :D

I also hope that they don't get rid of too many characters (like Koopa Troopa who was my best character in the original).

Rase
02-11-2008, 04:31 PM
This is all well and good, but I'll want to see how this plays first. I must admit I'm still skeptical about the controls (wiggling your hands back and forth to power slide may get old fast). Still, I trust Nintendo enough to not royally screw over a major franchise like this.

NeoCracker
02-11-2008, 06:17 PM
This is about the only Racer I enjoy.

So I am highly estatic about it.
Makes me feel like a little school girl again.

JKTrix
02-19-2008, 12:39 PM
More images (http://nintencast.com/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1203337283&archive=&start_from=&ucat=2&)

Marshall Banana
02-19-2008, 01:43 PM
Bowser is huge! (http://www.nintencast.com/cal/games/wii/mario_kart_wii/w_12.jpg)

Smash 'em, Bowser!

Evastio
02-19-2008, 07:33 PM
So does this one also have Snake in it?

Seriously though, one time I had this weird dream where Snake was in the next Mario Party game. Hopefully, they won't be sticking any third party characters this time.

Rase
02-19-2008, 08:28 PM
You never know. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mario_Kart_Arcade_GP)

Evastio
02-19-2008, 11:42 PM
Oh.

I guess there are worse characters.

Shoeberto
02-21-2008, 04:17 AM
I really hope these shots are early, 'cause the graphics are pretty bad right now.

I know it shouldn't be a big deal, but considering the visual polish Nintendo have been putting on all of their other recent games, jagged characters, blocky levels and low-res textures just seem disappointing.

Crossblades
03-13-2008, 01:51 PM
Nintendo confirms NA release date

IGN Advertisement (http://wii.ign.com/articles/858/858860p1.html)

Nintendo of America today made the surprising announcement that Mario Kart Wii is set for a stateside release this April. April 27 to be precise. Previously, NOA suggested that Kart Wii might arrive after the May debut of Wii Fit, but apparently that is not the case.

"Mario Kart for Wii transforms one of our most popular franchises into a race that every member of the family can enjoy," said Cammie Dunaway, NOA's executive vice president of sales and marketing. "Driving work the Wii Wheel could not be more natural, and this is one place where speeding is encouraged."

Mario Kart Wii comes packaged with the Wii Wheel. In addition to a wide selection of new tracks and vehicles, the title features a 12-player online component and compatibility with multiple different controller configurations.

We'll have more on the game soon.

Breine
03-13-2008, 02:23 PM
I'm currently addicted to Mario Kart: Double Dash, and the fact that I don't have a Wii so that I can play this Mario Kart Wii when it comes out really bugs me.

KentaRawr!
03-15-2008, 01:56 AM
Hmm... It looks like Smash Bros. Brawl has been released...

Well, time to make this thread go on fire. Everyone post anticipation now.

Rostum
03-15-2008, 02:16 AM
Me wants it!

Marshall Banana
03-15-2008, 02:18 AM
I'm excited! I stomp everyone with Bowser. :onnanoko:

KentaRawr!
03-15-2008, 02:27 AM
Luigi has always been my main guy, and always will be. :D

White Raven
03-15-2008, 07:21 PM
I actually enjoy the idea of 50%~ new tracks and ~50% being revamped old tracks.

I don't look forward to buying and other idiotic Wii acessory in order to play it properly. :mad2:

Preordered it when I picked up Brawl.

:)

Crossblades
03-15-2008, 08:07 PM
I actually enjoy the idea of 50%~ new tracks and ~50% being revamped old tracks.

I don't look forward to buying and other idiotic Wii acessory in order to play it properly. :mad2:

Preordered it when I picked up Brawl.

:)

The Wii Wheel comes with the game

ljkkjlcm9
03-15-2008, 08:52 PM
when I pre-ordered it, the guy said not many people have, probably because Brawl is really the big thing, and most people aren't really thinking that far ahead.

THE JACKEL

Tifa's Real Lover(really
03-27-2008, 04:39 PM
im gonna miss the power sliding =/

KentaRawr!
03-27-2008, 05:07 PM
Power Sliding is still in. It's just performed differently.

Evastio
03-27-2008, 07:28 PM
This may be a bit off topic but here's a Mario Kart related video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jsUiYZS7QA) for those of you that haven't seen it.

Evastio
04-10-2008, 12:07 AM
Since it's a timely update I guess I'm allowed to double post.

Anyways, it appears that Europe has already gotten Mario Kart Wii and they've been leaking a lot of new information about it. So far Baby Peach, Funky Kong, Dry Bowser (basically an undead Bowser), Princess Rosalina, Baby Daisy, and your Mii have been confirmed as playable characters. There's also a couple of new items like this weird thing that speeds you up but shrinks you at the end but can be passed on to other racers and a POW Block that will spin out whoever's ahead of the user after 3 seconds of its use.

I don't really have any really good links that help confirm this except for these (http://themushroomkingdom.net/board/index.php?topic=11487.0) two (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mario_Kart_Wii). Anyone who has any better links please feel free to upstage me with them. Seriously, I also want to see pictures confirming the new items and characters since the previous two links don't have any.

Roto13
04-10-2008, 12:21 AM
People are bitching and moaning that the Wii Wheel is too expensive at $10. I don't know how much they were expecting to pay for it.

KentaRawr!
04-10-2008, 02:06 AM
$10? :| How much did they expect? 50 cents?

Roto13
04-10-2008, 02:32 AM
Exactly. They're like "oh lawd it's only a piece of plastic" like no effort went into designing or manufacturing it. Like they should just have to pay for the base materials or something. :P

KentaRawr!
04-10-2008, 03:57 AM
Yeah. They at least have to pay the people who manufacture it, and they must pay for other things that went into its creation, such as the tools used.

Shauna
04-13-2008, 06:31 PM
Wonder why Europe got it first... Oh well. :p I have been playing it quite a bit, and I really enjoy it. :D Can't compare it to the old Mario Kart games, since I never really played them.

And the items and stuff that Evastio mentioned are in it. Just because he asked for confirmation. :p

Roto13
04-13-2008, 07:04 PM
Wonder why Europe got it first... Oh well. :p

I think I read that Europe got MKWii (And is getting Wii Fit) early because they're getting Brawl so late. :P

Rostum
04-14-2008, 07:07 AM
I saw this on the commercials, can't believe it's come out so quickly! I haven't even heard that much hype about it for some reason...

demondude
04-14-2008, 12:03 PM
I love this game so much~
Super mario galaxy themed levels are awesome.

Raebus
04-15-2008, 06:41 PM
Whats your friend code for Mario Kart Wii, Demon Dude?

Craig
04-16-2008, 11:36 PM
3179-6241-8408

there's my code thing

Shauna
04-17-2008, 12:33 AM
1891-1354-4480

Anyone wanting to add me, let me know. So I can add back. :cool:

Raebus
04-17-2008, 12:34 AM
4038-6136-8567

Add me if you want but let me know first and I'll add you. :)
Can I add you, Craig?

Craig
04-17-2008, 07:17 PM
I'll add both you guys next time I turn my Wii on, add me back please.

Breine
04-18-2008, 01:11 PM
Wonder why Europe got it first... Oh well. :p

I think I read that Europe got MKWii (And is getting Wii Fit) early because they're getting Brawl so late. :P

Perhaps. Europe never gets any games first. Nice that they decided to release this Mario Kart here first.. I'd really like to play it, but I don't have a Wii.. as of now, that is.

Rostum
04-20-2008, 09:55 AM
So to the people that are playing it: Is it good? I had someone telling me it was possible the worst Mario Kart in the series, which is an extremely awful shame...

Shauna
04-20-2008, 12:08 PM
As I said, I haven't really played any of the Mario Karts prior to this one, so I can't really comment on it being the worst or best of the series; but I really enjoy it. :)

demondude
04-22-2008, 05:32 PM
I'll get my friend code later but be warned I'm actually quite good at this game.
How can you not be when you have the likes of Dry bowser?

Raebus
04-22-2008, 05:43 PM
So to the people that are playing it: Is it good? I had someone telling me it was possible the worst Mario Kart in the series, which is an extremely awful shame...

It's a good game, that's all that matters.

Shauna
04-22-2008, 06:33 PM
I'll get my friend code later but be warned I'm actually quite good at this game.
How can you not be when you have the likes of Dry bowser?

xD No worries, I get owned at this game ALL the time. I'm used to it. :cool:

Raebus
04-22-2008, 06:37 PM
She's right, I own her at it. :cool:

demondude
04-22-2008, 07:25 PM
Practising manual drifting is important because with the right kart you can get a big lead which is usually unaffected by blue shells. (pesky buggers!)

Craig
04-22-2008, 09:04 PM
My nephew borrowed it from me but I wanna play you guys at some point. He was all up in my grill like "I'll give it back later" and that was 3 days ago

Zeldy
04-26-2008, 10:49 PM
I have this now, and I adore it. I even have SSBB (pre-ordered) sitting on a shelf as I'm more interested in Mario Kart. I played online for the first time today, and it was really sweet, there's something I'm missing on Rainbow road, though, some kind of trick :p

Oh well! My friend code is 3609-1410-5943, I'd like to play with some of you guys sometime! ^_^

ps. I've played every single Mario Kart game, I can play pretty damn well!

pps. I've added Craig, Mike and Shauna. Add me back please~

Shauna
04-26-2008, 11:15 PM
Added you back, Amy dear~

Raebus
04-26-2008, 11:23 PM
I added you Amy. :]

We should all play sometime!

Zeldy
04-26-2008, 11:26 PM
Play now! haha

Raebus
04-26-2008, 11:38 PM
Oh and do you have Guitar Hero 3 for the wii, Amy? It has online features and it kicks ass.

Zeldy
04-26-2008, 11:39 PM
Oh and do you have Guitar Hero 3 for the wii, Amy? It has online features and it kicks ass.
Nope, the 360 :(

Rostum
04-26-2008, 11:54 PM
Damn, screw what my friend said. I am still getting it -- my whole family is interested in it too, which amounts to some awesome times.

NeoCracker
04-27-2008, 07:35 PM
This game kicks major ass.

Rase
04-28-2008, 04:19 AM
Long windedness ahead.

Got it, and must say I'm pleased with some things and disappointed with others. Battle Mode is a big disappointment to me, due to it's lack of options (only two modes, only teams, always three minute matches, and based on score alone? Ugh.) I very much wish that there was a standard deathmatch mode and an option for less than 6 people per team. I also personally miss the character specific items from Double Dash!!, though at least some are still here. Also, with the characters, come on Nintendo. Baby Peach/Daisy? Dry Bowser? Funky Kong? Bottom of the barrel much? At least Rosalina gets some screen time.
The motorbikes are fun to play, though obviously take a little getting used to. Doing tricks is easy enough, and wheelies are fairly useful and strategic (speed boost at the cost of sluggish controlling and getting knocked around easily). Drifting is much tighter on them, and the get thrown around a lot more. I must say that of all the control options I love the Wiimote and Nunchuk combo, though the Wii Wheel is certainly a fun, if demanding change of pace. As always the items cause a lot of chaos and frustration on the receiving end, and there are still those "great" moments of blue shell-red shell-lighting bolt- slid of the course that send you from 1st to 12th, but whatareyagonnado? Nintendo wants to even the playing field obviously, and while it can feel a little too much like luck, it's still fun. The new courses have so far been a delight to me, and the retro ones are great nostalgia trips to take. Online is a breeze and fun also, and quite lag free from my races. Overall definitely worth the purchase, but I won't be putting Double Dash!! away just yet.

Kirobaito
04-28-2008, 04:30 AM
I picked it up today + a wheel, and it's pretty fun. I like all the different control options you have (wheel, wiimote, wiimote+nunchuk, GCN controller). It's weird being in first on the final stretch and suddenly being in 12th, but that adds a kicker, that you can be 12th and with one Bullet Bob end up 3rd.

I only did multiplayer, I'll work on single player (and unlocking guys) tomorrow.

Yoshi has always been my guy, in every Mario Kart (of course, this is also the first Mario Kart I've played since the original...). In about three weeks, I'll be able to play it online. I will be MORE than happy to test myself.

NeoCracker
04-28-2008, 11:19 AM
The new Rainbow Road track is freaking Brutal.

Of course maybe it's just me, but that track massacres me. :(

Though I did almost beat a Japanese guy earlier. ^_^

Markus. D
04-28-2008, 11:30 AM
I saw a review of this on Top game.

Poor Lighter characters :[..

Shauna
04-28-2008, 03:39 PM

I agree. It's horrible. xD

Zeldy
04-28-2008, 04:16 PM

Though I did almost beat a Japanese guy earlier. ^_^
I hate hate hate Rainbow road xD it's horrible, it really is. I dread when it's selected through random or by an annoying person who PERSISTENTLY chose that damn track. It used to be my favourite on the original too xD

I only ever use the bike now, and I always use Rosalina too.

I'm in the 6000's now in online VS mode. epic~

ljkkjlcm9
04-28-2008, 06:12 PM
I got it yesterday... really only played with friends. I'm probably gonna start unlocking stuff today.

THE JACKEL

Evastio
04-28-2008, 06:55 PM
Is it true that you can no longer do multiplayer Grand Prix races?

ljkkjlcm9
04-28-2008, 09:10 PM
Is it true that you can no longer do multiplayer Grand Prix races?

correct

basically they made all the multiplayer functions worse than before.
Battle is in teams of 6 each, no matter what. The computer just controls the other characters. They're timed, not elimination.
Versus can be races, but you choose each track individually. You can do this individually or in teams of 6 as well. Red vs Blue team. Total points added together.

One player can be just as frustrating as before. A wonderful 10 second lead being destroyed as you're hit with a lightning bolt, then blue shell, then get knocked off a ledge or something.

THE JACKEL

Evastio
04-28-2008, 11:15 PM
Oh. :(

I was actually hoping that they'd allow up to 4 Human Players (or more if it was somehow possible) in a Grand Prix Race in the next Mario Kart game. :(

Shauna
04-28-2008, 11:21 PM
Well, you do have versus races, with up to 4 people playing. You just get to pick whichever 4 tracks you feel like playing, rather than playing through a whole cup. After the four tracks that's it.

ljkkjlcm9
05-01-2008, 12:11 AM
so on the gamefaqs forum people are arguing over Automatic versus manual. A number of people are claiming it's easier to get star rankings on automatic. Then this thought hit me. Automatic means you can't do the drift boosts. But maybe if you choose automatic, all the computers are as well, meaning they can't get the boost either. I don't have an account there so I can't post and say that.

THE JACKEL

Rase
05-01-2008, 06:09 AM
Well, you do have versus races, with up to 4 people playing. You just get to pick whichever 4 tracks you feel like playing, rather than playing through a whole cup. After the four tracks that's it.
You can also change the number of tracks in a "Versus Cup" to up to 32 by messing around with the rules.

Shauna
05-01-2008, 05:35 PM
Really? I'll have to mess around with that. xD I don't like being stuck with 4 races.

Roogle
05-01-2008, 08:21 PM

I find that I am able to rank much higher in races on the Rainbow Road track because I go very, very slow and make sure to use the brakes often. Every character will fall off the stage at some point, so you'll be able to take a lead if you never fall once! Slow and steady wins this race.

ljkkjlcm9
05-01-2008, 10:35 PM
Rainbow Road isn't bad when you figure it out. I've 2 starred(or 3) every cup so far, starting on 150 later today.

THE JACKEL

Zeldy
05-04-2008, 10:30 PM
I'm playing with Mike and Shauna now, I just thrashed them both at Rainbow road :jess:

Raebus
05-04-2008, 11:32 PM
We let her win. :cool:

Zeldy
05-04-2008, 11:35 PM
LIES! You kept DCing, Mike :mad2: In the balloon battle when you DCed, I pushed you off the edge and scored points.

HAR HAR.

Clouded Sky
05-26-2008, 11:38 PM
2836-0856-0075 here.

let's race!

i added all four of you that have posted friend codes!

Shlup
05-27-2008, 12:32 AM
I added a section to the friend code thread specifically for Mario Kart Wii codes, and added to that list everyone who put their code in this thread, as well as myself.

Also, Rainbow Road is totally brutal. I wept at my ineptitude.

The Summoner of Leviathan
06-02-2008, 09:32 PM
Hope no one minded but I added you guys.

My Mario Kart code is: 5413-0984-3171.

I expect to lose greatly!

demondude
06-03-2008, 08:07 PM
I hate the way funky kong is a necessity if you want to get anywhere near the world time trial records.

Evastio
06-04-2008, 12:57 AM
Like how Jigglypuff is the only reason that a lot of people beat Event Match 51 in SSBM? Yeah, that gets annoying when challenges like that are impossible unless you use certain characters. :(

Even though I defeated it with Marth and not Jigglypuff.

Also, is there any characters from Double Dash that didn't make it into Mario Kart Wii that you guys miss? I'm kind of missing the Para Troopa and Petey Pirahna.