PDA

View Full Version : Martial Arts Movies

Depression Moon
02-07-2008, 10:53 PM
<TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"><TBODY><TR height="100%" width="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on"><TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off">A lot of them are great and a lot of them are cheesy. So what martial art movies do you really like? My two favorites are Bruce Lee's Enter the Dragon and Kung Fu Hustle. I really don't like anything Jet Li is in. Hero was okay, but The Legend was terrible; cheesiest piece of macaroni in the universe. I just rewatched Volcano High on Youtube the other day and liked that, but I wished the last fight was done differently and they should've picked someone else besides Lil Jon to voice Jang Yang. Edit: Can anyone tell me why every tme I post I get this huge blank of space?
</TD></TR><TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on">
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Araciel
02-07-2008, 10:55 PM
Used to love them.
Bruce Lee Big Boss
Now I hate.
Van Damme Bloodsport
But that's ok.
Tony Jaa Ong Bak
Wanna go on a date?

Breine
02-07-2008, 10:59 PM
I love "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon", but it's arguably more of a love story than an actual martial arts movie. Also, I really like Zhang Yimou's work, "Hero" and "House of Flying Daggers". I haven't seen "Curse of the Golden Flower" yet, but I'd like to.

DK
02-07-2008, 10:59 PM
Most of Jackie Chan's Hong Kong stuff from the 80's is pretty much as good as it gets. Tony Jaa is shredding things up now though, he's a badass.

Evastio
02-07-2008, 11:07 PM
I can't believe no one's mentioned Jackie Chan yet.

Wait... Never mind.

Depression Moon
02-07-2008, 11:21 PM
Has anyone seen Jackie Chan's Who Am I? Good stuff I have to go see the Drunken Master soon

Araciel
02-07-2008, 11:23 PM
Drunken Master was just fun to watch...I now add it to my list.

DK
02-07-2008, 11:34 PM
Police Story is the greatest action film ever made. By a fair distance, too.

Evastio
02-07-2008, 11:50 PM
Has anyone seen Jackie Chan's Who Am I?
Yeah, it's a really awesome movie. I like how they kept his name as Jackie Chan (for the character he played as) in the movie which makes things less confusing. I also liked how he did the part where he slides down the building himself without using any stunt men (which he does all the time which I really find awesome). Although there may be martial artist out there that may be better than Jackie, there's nobody out there that can beat him in terms of the craziness and devotion he puts in his movies.

Goldenboko
02-07-2008, 11:57 PM
Daniel-San, show me wax the car.

chionos
02-08-2008, 12:12 AM
Dirty Ho

And that's not a joke btw, it was the climax of the old-style martial-arts films.

Jackie Chan differentiates himself so much, I think, because what he does isn't just strictly martial arts. He was trained as a child, actually, in Beijing Opera. That training process is HARDCORE, and it is part of what allowed him to distinguish himself from Bruce Lee.
At first, when Jackie was making movies, the posters would say
THE SECOND BRUCE LEE as The Drunken Master starring Jackie Chan. From Drunken Master on though, whatever else you may think of the man, he completely changed the way martial arts films were done, especially in the west. His use of props and realistic (though unbelievable) stunts is very fun to watch. It's a shame that Chris Tucker exists.

Namelessfengir
02-08-2008, 03:55 AM
Police Story is the greatest action film ever made. By a fair distance, too.

damn straight

ive been going after bruce lee movies lately

im watching the jeet kuun do training video with bruce lees own notes and videos

phbr
02-08-2008, 11:57 AM
Iron Monkey (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0108148/) is one of my favorite Martial Arts movies...

Tony Jaa's Ong Bak (already mentioned) and Tom Yum Goong are pretty good as well, so is Wong Fei Hung II (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0105839/) (my favorite Jet Li movie, with Hero as a close 2nd mostly because of Tony Leung)

I also enjoyed watching Jimmy Wang Yu's One Armed Boxer and The One Armed Boxer vs. the Flying Guillotine / Master of the Flying Guillotine.

Jessweeee♪
02-08-2008, 02:51 PM
Does Kung Pow count?