PDA

View Full Version : Is his name "Don"?

MJN SEIFER
02-08-2008, 10:52 PM
Something I've never been sure of in the game. This character "Corneo" or something, Is is name actually "Don" because he is called "Don Corneo" at times.

However, I don't know what it means exactly, but I have seen shows, where people are called "Don" as a sort of "title" or something - I dunno if I'm explaining it good enough.

There are also parts where he's called "The Don", but there's a chance that it's a translation error.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
02-08-2008, 11:04 PM
Don is an Italian term commonly awarded as a title to important mafia bosses. It comes from donno, which itself stems from the Latin dominus, meaning "master" or "lord."

Corneo possesses the title because his entire character revolves around the sleazy mafia thug archetype. Even "Corneo" is a play on Corleone, the name of the titular Don from The Godfather.

MJN SEIFER
02-08-2008, 11:24 PM
I get it.

Thankyou for answering me.

EagleDelta1
02-09-2008, 01:25 AM
Yeah, "don" is used in romance laguages, specifically Spanish and Italian, as a title of respect

Aerith's Knight
02-09-2008, 01:37 AM
Don Dennis.. it has a ring to it :)

Skyblade
02-09-2008, 04:11 AM
While Kawaii answered the question, I'd like to expand his info a little by pointing out that Don Corneo is also referred to as "the Don" when Tifa is explaining to Cloud why she wound up in the Don's manor (the line is spoken by Cloud "And that's when the Don's name came up?"). Since Don is a title, that is a valid way to refer to him, like calling a physician "the Doctor".

Namelessfengir
02-09-2008, 04:36 AM
id be like if i made you all call me "el conquistador"

Heath
02-09-2008, 11:31 PM
Have to admit I always saw it as a mafia reference but never actually noticed the play on Corleone to make Corneo. Though it seems rather obvious now that I've been told.

Aerith's Knight
02-09-2008, 11:36 PM
maybe his name is donald..

ReloadPsi
02-10-2008, 02:54 PM
I just remembered actually, "Alright ladies, line up in front of the Don!" and then when I looked in the instruction manual for Pokemon and one of the old screenshots from what was presumably an unfinished translation read "The Brock wants to fight!".

Although I realise Don's a title basically meaning "The one thug to rule them all", it's just an amusing thought. Hell, both games had a certain very similar riff in their boss themes.

cloud21zidane16
02-11-2008, 11:37 PM
maybe his name is donald..

:p