PDA

View Full Version : FireFox dies when closing PDFs

Big D
02-14-2008, 09:45 AM
The title says it all!
When I'm looking at a PDF on a website, and I try to close that tab, the bloody thing locks up and stops responding. It closes eventually - it takes a couple of minutes though, even using Task Manager.
Any ideas about how to fix this, or why it's happening? Cheers.

Heath
02-14-2008, 10:49 AM
This has happened to me occasionally. What usually fixed it for me was that - somewhere - there'd be a window asking if you're sure you want to close the PDF document or something, so you'll need to find that and select 'close' or 'yes' or whatever the option is.

Big D
02-14-2008, 11:55 AM
That little option box is always the start of the nightmare... once I click 'ok' or 'exit' or whichever, it does its unhelpful, unresponsive thing.

rubah
02-14-2008, 02:51 PM
you could try using a third party manager for PDFs. it didn't crash for me, but was annoyingly slow, so I went and got one. Foxit reader is pretty good, or if you want to try keeping it inside firefox, <a href="https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/636">pdf download</a> might help a little bit (esp the view as html button)

crono_logical
02-14-2008, 03:30 PM
Bug in older Adobe Acrobat Readers, upgrade or use an alternate PDF viewer, or don't view PDFs in Firefox by either right-click save, or by changing the behaviour in Tools > Options > Content > File Types :p

Big D
02-14-2008, 09:48 PM
Bug in older Adobe Acrobat Readers, upgrade or use an alternate PDF viewer, or don't view PDFs in Firefox by either right-click save, or by changing the behaviour in Tools > Options > Content > File Types :pYeah, I suppose I can get it to save PDFs and open them outside Firefox... cheers, that should do it.

Jessweeee♪
02-20-2008, 02:57 PM
Happens to me too ; ;

Guess I should update or sumthin.

Nominus Experse
02-22-2008, 12:37 AM
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/636

This extension makes it so that you have a choice as to what to do with a PDF link.

You are given the choices:

Open PDF | Download it | View as HTML |

I would say that this extension is most definitely useful, especially when you are experiencing the issues you describe.

rubah
02-22-2008, 01:57 AM
way to copy my link!

Nominus Experse
02-22-2008, 03:11 AM
Lawl

This is why people should read threads all the way through...

I'm an idiot and should probably stop posting.

rubah
02-22-2008, 04:09 AM
it's cool, I think I've done the same thing 8) d-man can just take it as proof that it's an awesome extension.

(however I dont' use it on osx because osx has PREVIEW which is like the most amazing built-in pdf reader ever)