PDA

View Full Version : No More Heroes

Dolentrean
02-15-2008, 05:22 AM
I have heard alot of people talking about this, but I didn't see a thread about it here... For shame!

Crazy, Funny, Great game play, very very inappropriate moments.

Your a perverted guy who got a light saber (they call it a beam katana) off an internet auction. You become an assassin and become involved in a real life leader bored of assassins, you drive a huge motorcycle and fight ridiculous bosses. The game starts with you attacking the 10th ranked assassin in the world to take his place.

It is ridiculously bloody, has a bizarre sense of humor, you get to use the Wiimote to deliver vicious finishing blows that send blood spraying all over the place, or use the Wiimote and nunchucku at the same time to perform crazy wrestling moves.

You sit on the toilet to save the game, there is hot chick with a ridiculous French accent who is helping you out, you are making ridiculous passes at her and trying to convince her to have sex with you if you make it to number one.

And I have only been playing the game for about an hour and a half!

What is not awesome about that?

NeoCracker
02-15-2008, 05:27 AM
1) Don't you start with the 11th Rank?

2) HElping? I hardly see how she has ever helped you in the slightest. Unless what you call her doing in all your "Pre-boss Chat's" reverse Psycology, she's a bitch.

3) This is quite possibly the greatest game yet to be released on the Wii. Killing guys in different areas of the game will get you such amazing lines such as, "MY spleen!" and my personal favorite, "I'm still a virgin!"

In short, if you do not have this game yet, remedy the situation in the immediate future.

I'm currently the Rank 2 assassin. And Dol, just wait until Destroy Man, lots of fun in that fight.

Necronopticous
02-15-2008, 06:23 AM
It kills me that I don't have Wii. No More Heroes is the first game that really makes me feel like I need one. I love Suda 51.

Anyway, if you enjoy the game, you should check out some of the inspirations that birthed it. I definitely recommend Seijun Suzuki's "ピストルオペラ (Pistol Opera)," (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbHleF__wD8) and Alejandro Jodorowsky's "El Topo." (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQaBq1gX_9E)

Azure Chrysanthemum
02-15-2008, 08:15 AM
My roomate just beat this. Crazy game. Good stuff.

Roto13
02-15-2008, 01:42 PM
It makes me think of God Hand for a slightly more depraved crowd. Definitely works for me. :P

Dreddz
02-15-2008, 04:13 PM
Looks like this game was resurrected from the Dreamcast era. Not like thats a bad thing or anything. This is probably the biggest reason for me to get a Wii. I dig the style of the game but am unsure about its gameplay. Hack and slash games, in my opinion, dont suit the Wii's controls. But im sure its still a great game to play. I enjoyed Killer 7 despite finding the gameplay pretty dire.

JKTrix
02-15-2008, 04:38 PM
I'm glad the game is doing well (http://kotaku.com/356877/no-more-heroes-does-ok-in-america-probably-better-in-europe). I think saying it's "quite possibly the greatest game yet to be released on the Wii" is overselling it though. At times I feel like I paid too much money for this game when I play it, like it should be one of those 'Simple 2000 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simple_series)' budget games. Games are overly expensive where I live anyway, so that's an opinion I have pretty often. There's a lot of stuff about the game's design that I don't like, but there's just enough good stuff in there that keeps me from putting it on the 'hiatus' shelf.

So I definitely think it's worth getting and I like it quite a bit overall, but I have quite a few titles that precede it in my '3rd party games you should get for the Wii if you don't have them already' list.

Also, Black & White manual (http://www.siliconera.com/2007/12/20/marvelous-no-more-heroes-has-a-comic-book-manual/) and lack of Genki Rockets video (http://www.nintendowiifanboy.com/2007/11/02/no-more-genki-rockets/) made me sad. (Heavenly Star, the song, is still in the US version of the game, but the video seems to have been removed and replaced with the very first "Heroes" trailer.)

Shoeberto
02-15-2008, 07:42 PM
I've wanted this game so bad for so long (big fan of Killer7) but man, I can't justify buying it yet. I agree that I wish it was a budget title if only for the fact that I'm broke.

NeoCracker
02-15-2008, 10:52 PM
Well I'm part of the crowd that thinks its easily one of the Wii's best titles yet.

And I find the Gameplay to be very enjoyable.

Roto13
02-17-2008, 02:50 AM
I finished the game today. I love the Lovikov references to Killer 7.

NeoCracker
02-17-2008, 04:11 AM
Just finished it, and wow.

Thats really all I have to say is Wow.

Roto13
02-17-2008, 04:19 AM
Did you get the real ending?

NeoCracker
02-17-2008, 04:21 AM
Well, I clicked "The Real Ending" and fought Henry, found out he's my brother, yadda yadda, so I assume yes.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
02-17-2008, 06:17 AM
I finished the game today. I love the Lovikov references to Killer 7.There's also a billboard for a generic action movie near the Luchaco station, and the name of the posted actor is "Dan Harman."

Furthermore, one of the bosses has a refrigerator...the brand of which is "Chiller7."

Yamaneko
02-17-2008, 08:06 AM
I heard this game was pretty average and it's just the fanboys trying to grasp at straws who are making a big deal of it.

Azure Chrysanthemum
02-17-2008, 08:22 AM
I heard this game was pretty average and it's just the fanboys trying to grasp at straws who are making a big deal of it.

I saw a great deal of it, if you enjoy that particular brand of humor, you'll likely enjoy the game immensely. The control system seems pretty decent too. I thought it was entertaining, but it seems to lack replay value.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
02-17-2008, 08:59 AM
I heard this game was pretty average and it's just the fanboys trying to grasp at straws who are making a big deal of it.This if the first product I've played by Grasshopper Manufacture. And having no bias there, I can say with utmost conviction that the game is amazing in the fun of its gameplay and the sheer entertainment of its presentation.
I thought it was entertaining, but it seems to lack replay value.Once you beat the game for the first time, a fully functional New Game + mode becomes available. And since you're likely to finish upgrading your stats by the end of the game, additional playthroughs reduce the already brisk game structure to its most basic aspects, which are the joy of combat and the lasting appeal of the characters and plot. You're also given the opportunity to acquire items that unlock high-quality concept art and character profiles. All together, that's pretty much the definition of replay value.

Azure Chrysanthemum
02-17-2008, 09:01 AM
I heard this game was pretty average and it's just the fanboys trying to grasp at straws who are making a big deal of it.This if the first product I've played by Grasshopper Manufacture. And having no bias there, I can say with utmost conviction that the game is amazing in the fun of its gameplay and the sheer entertainment of its presentation.
I thought it was entertaining, but it seems to lack replay value.Once you beat the game for the first time, a fully functional New Game + mode becomes available. And since you're likely to finish upgrading your stats by the end of the game, additional playthroughs reduce the already brisk game structure to its most basic aspects, which are the joy of combat and the lasting appeal of the characters and plot. You're also given the opportunity to acquire items that unlock high-quality concept art and character profiles. All together, that's pretty much the definition of replay value.

I was thinking more in terms of the story, having seen it already. The jobs seem to bog you down more than a little.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
02-17-2008, 09:09 AM
I addressed the story. To give an example, I reloaded my endgame save and played through the Real Ending roughly five times after I first beat the game, because it's just that good. I'm now about halfway through my second playthrough, and the writing remains just as amusing as it was the first time.

As for the jobs, they generally serve to mix up the gameplay in interesting ways, making clever use of the Wii's motion controls. And even if you think they're a pain, none of them last for more than a minute or two, and they're a total non-issue in New Game +.

Roto13
02-17-2008, 03:07 PM
The combat system seems really shallow at first, but there are a lot of little tricks and things to learn, like dodging, countering, and whatever the hell happens when you shake the Wiimote when it slows down for a killing blow.

@ BtV: This isn't an RPG. :P Screw the story.

Yamaneko
02-17-2008, 06:48 PM
Well, the main complaint I've heard is that the sandbox city thing feels devoid of life and everything in between the missions is boring.

Roto13
02-17-2008, 07:08 PM
Everything in between the missions isn't boring, though. The Assassination sub-missions are pretty much the same as the levels leading up to bosses, and the part time jobs are fun little distractions.

The overworld could be better, though. It's true that not a lot happens outside of missions and jobs. By the time it gets old, though, you don't have to spend much time wandering around anyway.

NeoCracker
02-17-2008, 07:40 PM
My only complaint is the game isn't very long.

I mean, I got lost quite a bit, (It took me a while to notice the symbols on the minimap,) And I beat the game in around 15 hours.

Roogle
02-20-2008, 05:17 PM
I do not like these types of games; however, a friend of mine recently purchased it, and I like the soundtrack and certain elements of the storyline.

I think that this game could have been presented a little better from a marketing standpoint because I have only heard mostly the quirky things about the game and not the positive things that users, such as Kawaii Ryűkishi, have pointed out.