PDA

View Full Version : Time machine!

Serapy
02-16-2008, 05:10 AM
Time travel Russia's in | The Sun |HomePage|News (http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/article771201.ece)

RUSSIAN boffins could be one step closer to creating a time machine.

Two scientists claim the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) - a giant atom-smashing machine - could open the door to unexpected visitors from the future.

If you go o loles, it's just The Sun being so unreliable, then go google LHC, you will find better sources there.

What I'm worried is what happens when they switch it on = could make the same impact of an atomic bomb, possibly a bigger one.

Avarice-ness
02-16-2008, 05:28 AM
Again, the Sun's a tabloid.

Also, when I google LHC it comes up basic information about it, excluding any time machine talk. Now when you google "LHC time machine" you get a good amount of personal blogs, forums, and various un-scholarly information.

escobert
02-16-2008, 05:36 AM
I SAW IT IN 'NAM IN 73'!

Avarice-ness
02-16-2008, 05:43 AM
I SAW IT IN 'NAM IN 73'!

SRSLY?! Me2. LOLOLOL.

Bert Bert, You're silly.

Aerith's Knight
02-16-2008, 07:20 AM
aliens told me!.. they did experiments on me!

i cant have children!! :whimper:

Del Murder
02-16-2008, 07:58 AM
LHC? More like THC is what they're on...

The Ceej
02-16-2008, 08:17 PM
Time travel is possible. I've linked the scientific reasons before. Just do a search for my posts in time travel-related threads and you'll find it. However, The Sun is not a reputable source for information. If you have a more reputable source, link it, or I will have no choice but to assume The Sun is your most reliable source.

The last I checked, the best attempt at a time machine was the extremely flawed hyperdimensional resonator, and I'm not entirely certain how well it worked as I've never had a chance to test it out.

The flux capacitor, however, could slow time down in the small area around it, but didn't really have practical purpose, so was not dwelt upon for very long. There have also been rumors of people going insane after spending a lot of time in the area where time was slowed. I haven't seen the documented reports, so I'm unsure of the veracity of those claims.

We're a long way from building a practical time machine. I doubt I'll see one in my lifetime.

Agrias
02-16-2008, 08:23 PM
Time travel is possible, just not physically for humans yet. Its physically impossible as of yet for a human to make the kind of rotation needed to generate a backwards pull in time and space. Where people have come close to something LIKE that kind of speed and rotation, we dont have anything physically fast enough to make it succeed.

As for the Sun..I wouldnt follow it ;o

Quindiana Jones
02-16-2008, 08:30 PM
The LHC is cool. I can't remember where I read about it other than it New Scientist, or in what context. It wasn't time travel though.

theundeadhero
02-16-2008, 08:34 PM
LHC? More like THC is what they're on...
Or LSD

Jessweeee♪
02-16-2008, 10:07 PM
Nothing good could possibly come from time-travel. Especially if there were a machine that worked like that!

Captain Maxx Power
02-16-2008, 11:40 PM
Are they colliding the particles at 88mph?

Serapy
02-17-2008, 02:18 AM
Again, the Sun's a tabloid.

Also, when I google LHC it comes up basic information about it, excluding any time machine talk. Now when you google "LHC time machine" you get a good amount of personal blogs, forums, and various un-scholarly information.

The way how google works is by finding information based on the keywords, not usually the keywords as a whole. If there are more information about TM than LHC and if you have inputted LHC Time Machine, Google will then display pages with information about TM as a higher priority. TM is very common.

There's nothing wrong with the Sun, it's more of a less-serious newspaper filled with opinions BUT usually base on the sources. The serious newpapers ones are boring. That doesn't matter, though, because I'm a believer in the media-fails-at-thier-portrayal-of-the-world-events thing.

Avarice-ness
02-17-2008, 03:14 AM
Well, I don't know about everyone else. But the word Tabloid automatically kills credibility.

The Sun Online | The Best for News, Sport and Showbiz | The Sun
The Sun is a British tabloid newspaper owned by News Corporation.

tab·loid (tāb'loid') Pronunciation Key
n. A newspaper of small format giving the news in condensed form, usually with illustrated, often sensational material.

adj.
In summary form; condensed.
Lurid or sensational.

sen·sa·tion·al
–adjective
1. producing or designed to produce a startling effect, strong reaction, intense interest, etc., esp. by exaggerated, superficial, or lurid elements: a sensational novel.
2. extraordinarily good; conspicuously excellent; phenomenal: a sensational quarterback.
3. of or pertaining to the senses or sensation

It's knowledge like the above that causes most people to not believe the tabloids. If the story was reputable and had more truth behind it, news like that would be found on something bigger than a tabloid.

Namelessfengir
02-17-2008, 07:05 AM
time travel is possible were doing it right now!!

The Ceej
02-17-2008, 07:22 AM
There's nothing wrong with the Sun, it's more of a less-serious newspaper filled with opinions BUT usually base on the sources. The serious newpapers ones are boring. That doesn't matter, though, because I'm a believer in the media-fails-at-thier-portrayal-of-the-world-events thing.

I once saw, on the cover of The Sun, some pictures taken of hell. Are you seriously going to sit here and tell me, with a straight face, that someone went to hell to take those pictures? And don't tell me it was supposed to be something other than the way I'm presenting it because the teaser on the cover specifically said that their photojournalists went to hell and took those pictures, then came back and printed them in The Sun, in not so many words, of course.

Any publication that claims to send its journalists to hell, or predicts the end of the world almost as much as The Weekly World News cannot have any credibility to anyone who matters. It's meant to be entertaining, not informative.

I ask again, if there is a reputable source which speaks of a new advance in time travel, present it.

Avarice-ness
02-17-2008, 08:03 AM
time travel is possible were doing it right now!!

We do it everyday! :D

rubah
02-17-2008, 08:23 AM
tabloids print news they expect gullible people to buy to inform themselves and more reasonable people to laugh at.

I tend to be a gullible yet reasonable person, so that's why I have learned to stay away from them and their ilk. (I cannot read The Onion or Otis the Head Cat, sadly)

Montoya
02-18-2008, 09:21 AM
The Russians have nothing on Marty McFly.

Madame Adequate
02-18-2008, 02:37 PM
Are they colliding the particles at 88mph?

Thread ended on this post. Please close and delete all subsequent posts.

Roto13
02-18-2008, 03:11 PM
Time travel causes way too many paradoxes to be possible.

~*~Celes~*~
02-18-2008, 03:17 PM
I'd rather not know what happens in the future, thxbai.

Not unless I'm living it in the present, of course.

Baloki
02-18-2008, 04:17 PM
I'd go back in time and stop Roogle closing all my threads :(

Psychotic
02-18-2008, 05:01 PM
Pretty sure it was the yanks who had the Chronosphere.

The Ceej
02-18-2008, 06:26 PM
Why Time Travel Is Possible. (http://www.lifesci.sussex.ac.uk/home/John_Gribbin/timetrav.htm#time_travel_possible)

Make me dig it up. I'm always the one doing all the damn work.

Roto13
02-18-2008, 08:15 PM
I tried looking through your post history for it but I was distracted by stuff like your claim that plants feel pain.

<B>EDIT: Don't be snippy or you'll be banned. -Murder</b>

Old Manus
02-18-2008, 09:49 PM
Screw you internet. Firefox always crashes when I open the Sun website. Maybe it has an automatic bull:skull::skull::skull::skull: filter or something.

Dolentrean
02-19-2008, 08:27 AM
I already have a time machine, why do you think there wasnt a fourth matrix movie?

Cz
02-19-2008, 09:12 AM
"Give me the sequence calculations...NOW!!!"

EDIT: Beaten ages ago. :(

Baloki
02-19-2008, 10:55 AM
2.6 GIGAWATTS!

The Summoner of Leviathan
02-19-2008, 02:02 PM
The closest to time travelling we get is looking up at the stars.

In related news, if you want to time travel, become a bodhisattva (or a Buddha, though bodhisattva eventually become buddhas anyways...). Seriously, you get all these supernatural powers, including time travelling. Then again the whole idea of time and space is kinda different in Buddhism. Then again, according to some Mahayana schools we are all guarenteed buddhahood, eventually.

The Ceej
02-19-2008, 07:04 PM
I already have a time machine, why do you think there wasnt a fourth matrix movie?

You know, if I had access to a time machine, there would only be one Matrix movie.

Tallulah
02-19-2008, 11:36 PM
Screw you internet. Firefox always crashes when I open the Sun website. Maybe it has an automatic bull:skull::skull::skull::skull: filter or something.

LOL! :p