PDA

View Full Version : Awayyyyyy~

Rye
02-16-2008, 09:51 PM
How many of you folks went away for college? As in, over an hour away, and dorming/living in an apartment?

Please tell me about it! As it stands, I'm going away for college. I'm currently between two colleges, the closest one being 3.5 hours away, the farthest being a little over 4 hours. I'm so excited. I can't wait to leave. My parents are really against me going, my Dad literally told me (without joking or anything) that I'm "breaking up the family" by going away. Which is kind of lulz. Apparently, I wouldn't have been "allowed" to go away, if my Mom didn't intervene, which is really lulz. Like, ROHOHOHOH watch my belly rumble with LAUGHTER lulz. So you can see why this little weeaboo wants to leave so much.

I have some questions though! I don't feel like posting on some LJ community because I'm intimidated by those folks, even though they're big sweeties. I'd rather sexually harass my EoFF brethren. :kaoclove:

:save: What is your favorite thing about being away?
:save: What's your least favorite?
:save: Do you have a big problem with privacy? Do you wake up to your roommate having some hey nonny nonny?
:save: Do you have to share your bathroom with a billion people?

(That's one of the only thing that I'm not tickled about. One college could offer me housing with one bathroom per suite or 2/3 students, which is fine, it's like the bathroom in my house, except I'll have to help clean it. Which is perfectly cool. With the OTHER, I'm pretty sure you have to share with A LOT of people... and I'm terrified I'll get butt cooties on my feet. UGH UGH UGH)

:save: Is it hard to live with another person or two in a room? Does a lot creepy stuff happen? Any STORIES?!
:save: Tell me about the food. Is it the type of stuff that a fatty who was raised on microwaved food and fast food would find NOM NOM NOM good? I like most school cafeteria food.

I'll probably think of more questions now, but I can't, because I'm busy jamming to the fruity tunes of The Scissor Sisters. THANKS. <3

Sergeant Hartman
02-16-2008, 09:53 PM
My college is like 15 minutes away from me.

Old Manus
02-16-2008, 09:55 PM
My college is like a minute away from me.

XxSephirothxX
02-16-2008, 10:13 PM
Let's go step by step!

I would recommend you get away from home even if you were not already planning to do so. Even if you like your parents. S'good to get away. You'll also likely get along with them much better once you don't live with them. This is my favorite thing about being away. Independence.

Least favorite is definitely cost of living. Paying for food and housing is expensive. Also, I miss my dog and a few friends who live back home. But I'm only an hour, hour and a quarter away, which is not really very far in the grand scheme of things.

When I lived in the dorm last year it wasn't a huge deal. It can be a little awkward. But my roommate was gone a fair bit, and we knew each other so it wasn't quite as awkward as it would've been to live with a stranger.

I lived in big freshman dorm, so yeah I had to share my bathroom with a whole lot of people. It was a pretty gross bathroom, but that's guys for you. However, everyone wears shower shoes or flip flops or whatever (at least, I hope they do) so that is the preferred method of keeping out of contact with nastiness. They weren't as bad as I'd anticipated, either--the showers had an outer door, small changing area, and an inner curtain, so you didn't really have to worry about privacy much.

If you get a suite, you'll hardly have anything to worry about at all. That's spoiled-city.

Living with another person in a dorm room is not really "hard" although you probably won't want to do it with the same person twice. :p This is hard to answer because it pretty much depends on your roommate (and how easy to get along with you yourself are).

My school has some of the best cafeterias in the country, so that was delicious. But, it was also expensive. Always a trade off. You'll probably end up with a mini fridge in your dorm anyway, so you can limit the amount of food you have to eat in a dining hall. Still, if you like high school cafeteria food, I seriously doubt it would be a step down from that.

There are a lot of things you'll give up to live in a dorm in terms of personal space and freedom, but I think it's a pretty major part of the college experience and to miss out on it would be a shame. I'm not even a partier or a big socializer, but after having experienced dorm life I know I'd be really missing out if I'd skipped out on it. Also, for proximity to people who are easy to befriend and location on campus, it's unbeatable.

Caraliz
02-16-2008, 10:14 PM
I go to community college, but I live about 30 minutes away, so I'm planning on moving closer. Of course, that doesn't mean I'm dorming, so...

but college is great. The general populace is much more tolerable than high school.

Jessweeee♪
02-16-2008, 10:22 PM
I've been looking at colleges myself and everything is so far away! I don't like living in such a huge state, every place you want to go is always EIGHT HOURS AWAY and you can forget about visiting another state if you don't like long drives!

rubah
02-16-2008, 10:29 PM
What is your favorite thing about being away?--> it's a much bigger city

What's your least favorite?--> no mommy and daddy ;.;

Do you have a big problem with privacy? Do you wake up to your roommate having some hey nonny nonny?--> I have a lofted bed and she has a lofted bed, so you put a body pillow against the bar and WHAM instaprivy.

Do you have to share your bathroom with a billion people?--> Yes. there's usually no one in there unless it's like at rush hour. You don't need to worry about germs for two good reasons:
1) you get shots
2) so does everyone else
I don't even bother wearing shoes to the bathroom or to the shower. I figure everyone else does so 8)

Is it hard to live with another person or two in a room? Does a lot creepy stuff happen? Any STORIES?!--> we don't usually talk a lot but we don't get on each other's nerves either (I hope!)

Tell me about the food. Is it the type of stuff that a fatty who was raised on microwaved food and fast food would find NOM NOM NOM good? I like most school cafeteria food.--> it's okay. could be worse.

Madame Adequate
02-16-2008, 11:16 PM
I stayed at home because I'm a coward. :jess: Also I'm insanely richer than I would otherwise be. My bank account is still in the + region, which puts me in with like one other person I know, who also lives at home.

Mainly because I'm a coward though. And I also don't like people, so no way could I move in with a stranger.

Tavrobel
02-16-2008, 11:17 PM
I already live on campus, and I'm not a student, yet. So, not very far at all.

Rye
02-16-2008, 11:21 PM
Thanks so much guys!

First off:

I would recommend you get away from home even if you were not already planning to do so. Even if you like your parents. S'good to get away. You'll also likely get along with them much better once you don't live with them. This is my favorite thing about being away. Independence.

1) Oh yes. Honestly, even if I went to the local college I've been accepted to that's only 20-30 minutes away, I'd STILL dorm. I just need to get away, learn to take care of myself, etc. I think it'll be good for me and my family.

2) I'm really hoping for a suite. It all depends though. Boston University is the college I still don't know if I've been accepted to yet, and it has suites with 2 or 3 other people, and even some singles. And that's just FRESHMAN dorming. And the freshman dorm is in this huge building with Starbucks and gyms and such in it, so it'd be brilliant. It's housing is better than NYU's, and I was completely smitten with NYU. But I dunno how much I'd see of other people there. xD

University of Rhode Island is the other one, the one I've been accepted to, and the rooming seems more traditional college and "cuter", but it doesn't have the hardcore nice stuff that BU has, because there's a good 20 thousand dollar difference in tuition. xD But I do really like that they have a separate freshman dorm for people with certain majors so that you can make friends easier, because you can relate. And the dorms are only about $2,000-$3,000 a semester, as opposed to BU's, which are around $10,000 a semester. xD

3) I feel really squeamish about the shower business still. xD Even with flip flops on. D:

Shauna
02-16-2008, 11:46 PM
If I could afford a place away from home for Uni, I'd get one. But sadly, I have no money right now, and I think I'll be okay for staying at home for a while. xD

escobert
02-17-2008, 02:22 AM
I don't go to college but I've been thinking of starting a few classes when I move =D

Strawberry_Mew
02-17-2008, 02:50 AM
I've still been decideing on what college to go to.

Aerith's Knight
02-17-2008, 03:50 AM
What is your favorite thing about being away?

having lots of cash and no parents to tell me what to do.

What's your least favorite?

doing my own laundy *cries from despair*

Do you have a big problem with privacy?

not really.. a 4 bedroom floor with 2 persons living there.. so no.

Do you wake up to your roommate having some hey nonny nonny?

actually.. that might be me xD

Do you have to share your bathroom with a billion people?

only one other guy.. and we clean it well.

Is it hard to live with another person or two in a room?

nope, we get along fine. a couple of fights.. but hey.. it happens.

Does a lot creepy stuff happen? Any STORIES?!

i dunno if i should tell you xD.. I live in the dutch mansion.. famous for its parties.. and.. no i dont want to disturb you xD

Tell me about the food. Is it the type of stuff that a fatty who was raised on microwaved food and fast food would find NOM NOM NOM good? I like most school cafeteria food.

i can cook.. i can cook well.. i can cook deliciously healthy meals..

my roommate.. cant.

i dont feel like cooking all the smurfing time, so half of the days we eat microwave cheeseburgers and pizza xD

------------------

hope it helps Rye.. good luck.. and youll have a blast.

Jessweeee♪
02-17-2008, 04:31 AM
hahaha...I hope I don't end up with any neat-freak roomates, I'm going to be very difficult to live with!

theundeadhero
02-17-2008, 07:44 AM
When you have a roommate you're either going to be glad because you always have someone to talk to or weirded out because the two of you don't click. There'e no use worrying about it.Just wait and see what happens.

rubah
02-17-2008, 08:15 AM
3) I feel really squeamish about the shower business still. xD Even with flip flops on. D:

srsly, vaccinations 8) also they have what looks like high powered pressure washers! If not, then they look like they could still do seriously cleansings. the grossest thing about community showers is drains and people forgetting to take razors and stuff with them. The toilets are worse really; but most of our girls have learned how to flush after the first semester at least!

Unless you're a boy; I hear they do completely disgusting things in their toilets. (drunken vomit, poop-smeared toilets(that would be the outside) etc)

Rantz
02-17-2008, 09:14 AM
I moved away from my family when I was 15 to attend gymnasium. The first year, I lived in a big apartment with a roommate. Since then I've lived alone in an smaller apartment, two hours away from my family by bus.

Independence and privacy.

I miss my mom's food :( But I still visit them on weekends and such, so I get my fair share of food orgasms.

Do you have a big problem with privacy? Do you wake up to your roommate having some hey nonny nonny?
When I did live with a roommate, it was indeed a bit awkward when his girlfriend came over and they proceeded to his bedroom to do things left only to my imagination to figure out. But our rooms were in separate ends of the apartment, so their brazen sounds didn't reach my innocent ears.

Do you have to share your bathroom with a billion people?or two in a room? Does a lot creepy stuff happen? Any STORIES?!
In my shared apartment, I was actually quite happy to be sharing a bathroom at one particular occasion. I had just woken up and was going for my morning sprinkle. I entered the bathroom and locked the door behind me, did my stuff and all went relatively well. But when I tried to exit, the lock was stuck! I tried and I tried to get it open, but no cookie. :( I had to resign from my struggles and simply sit down and wait until my roommate woke up (luckily it wasn't more than ten minutes to that point) and could unscrew the hinges of the door. It was quite embarassing, but hey, he got me out. :-[

Tell me about the food. Is it the type of stuff that a fatty who was raised on microwaved food and fast food would find NOM NOM NOM good? I like most school cafeteria food.
Well, I've mostly made my own food living on my own. Can't afford to be picky about it, unfortunately. But in these five years I've learned to concoct one good meal or the other from a measly budget, so I get by.

Madame Adequate
02-17-2008, 02:09 PM
srsly, vaccinations 8)

But it's not the possibility of getting ill, it's the mere fact that one is standing in a place where you COULD get ill simply by standing there or walking through it. That sounds like nastiness to me D:

Rye
02-17-2008, 02:46 PM
Yeah. I'm not so concerned about getting a disease as I am about imagining all the dirty gross people who have been in the shower before me. And wearing flip-flops will just make me all the more aware of it. xD I'm just very squeamish.

I have more questions. Thanks so much for answering these, guys!

:save: Do you have trouble fitting your stuff in the room?
:save: Does YOUR college allow cars on campus?
:save: What was your roommate match form like?

Quindiana Jones
02-17-2008, 03:45 PM
My college is a one hour bus journey away. I like. It gets me away from the usual people, so I can get more people-experience.

Aerith's Knight
02-17-2008, 05:11 PM
Do you have trouble fitting your stuff in the room?

nope.. lots of space

Does YOUR college allow cars on campus?

im faculty.. and this is america.. so hell yeah

What was your roommate match form like?

match form? :confused:

Rye
02-17-2008, 05:18 PM
Don't most colleges have match forms that ask you questions about yourself so that you're put with a roommate you're most compatible with?

Aerith's Knight
02-17-2008, 05:19 PM
lol no.. i met my roommate couple times before i moved out.. but thats about it.

I spend 4 hours talking to him while applying for a US visa though.. we bonded :)

there is only one dutch mansion in albany, so there was no picking of roommates.. beggars cant be choosers

escobert
02-17-2008, 05:35 PM
I didn't have my mom bugging me 24/7 :p

taking care of my self :p

Do you have a big problem with privacy? Do you wake up to your roommate having some hey nonny nonny?
Nah my roommate was a bum like me!

Do you have to share your bathroom with a billion people?
Yeah that was no good.

Is it hard to live with another person or two in a room? Does a lot creepy stuff happen? Any STORIES?!
I once caught my roommate jerking off on my PC xD

I wasn't bad and I eat lots of microwave foods and far from a fatty :(!

Rye
02-17-2008, 10:01 PM
ON your PC? :kaolaugh:

Aerith's Knight
02-17-2008, 10:03 PM
way too much information

XxSephirothxX
02-17-2008, 10:31 PM
I would say that any large university and pretty much any smaller college will have a roommate finder/matching form or system. Mine did, but I chose to room with a friend I've known for a long time, so I bypassed picking it out.

Most everyone I know who was matched up with someone, even if they talked beforehand, was happy to not live with them again after that one year. I do have one friend, however, who is still living with her roommate from last year, and will be again next year. So it's not always bad.

My school does allow cars on campus, but parking is expensive. A goodly portion of people here are pretty well off, though, so most of them have cars and shell out 50+ bucks a month for a good parking permit.

You can cram a surprisingly large amount of stuff into a dorm room. I did not take nearly all of the books, movies, etc. that I own, but I did take a fair number. And if you go to your more expensive school and have a suite, you'll likely have substantially more room than many dorms.

Example:
Creswell Hall Render (http://www.uga.edu/housing/tour/creswell-3d.html)

Tasura
02-17-2008, 11:39 PM
1) No parents =D
2) Lack of food/money ;_;
3) I live in a single room, go me! Though my first year I was in an on-campus apartment thing, shared with 3 other guys.
4) My first year it was with 3 other guys, the last 2 years have been, Me and 4-5 others, generally more girls than guys.
5) The caf has decent food, expensive though. I worked there for a month or two, all the secrets made me laugh, then quit.
6) My first year I did, I hated the bastard, he'd complain about a pair of socks by my bed, when his pile of dirty clothes was good 3 feet high.
7) Yea, and it's cheap, not more than $25 a semester, if even.
8) It's completely pointless, they get you to fill it out, then don't even bother reading it.

As for stories, to further hate on my first year roommate, when he'd get drunk he's piss on people's doors/in the stairwell because he was too lazy to go to the bathroom. Even though the stairwell/other people's doors were further away then the bathroom.

escobert
02-18-2008, 02:29 AM
ON your PC? :kaolaugh:

Well not ON but yes he was watching anal sexing while naked and touching himself in front if my laptop. We called him spanky forever after that.