PDA

View Full Version : Why we won't see a remake Sorry guys, it's not going to happen.

toad626
02-17-2008, 07:01 AM
This will probably get deleted or closed as this topic has been overly discussed, but I want to explain logically why this so called remake will never happen. Reasons, I'll list them

1. Guys look at Square-Enix's current projects. They have no time what so ever to do a remake. Most of their remakes where done by their subsidiaries. Tose did most of the PS1 16-bit era and 3 DS was mostly done by Matrix (at least all the programming work). Sending a game of that fame and caliber to one of these porters would get people nervous as it's far more popular than the old schools.

2. Cost. Are you guys aware of how much it costs to develop a game in this generation of gaming? Graphics have gotten so good that, freakn shadows under characters eyelids have to be programmed in. Because of this level of detail for the PS3 and Xbox 360 it costs over 160 million to develop a game now. That's a lot of resources that could be spent on new projects.

3. Original developers have moved on. Sakaguchi is gone. Nojima formed his own company and probably charges Square an absurd amount of money now for his work. Uematsu also formed his own company. And we would need him as 7 was programmed with MIDI files which would not fly with the PS3. Original developers are important. Why do you think we haven't seen a new Chrono game. Chrono is an excellent franchise but the original developers have long split. Why do you think Cross wasn't as good as it should have been? The reason is cause they did it with less than half the original crew.

4. The PS3 is in deep blank... It is really hurting in the sales department. It's not looking to good for Sony right now. It's gotten a little better than it was, but far from turning into a good profit. The playstation is 60 percent I believe of Sony's revenue and when it's only selling well in Japan we have problems. With all this it may not be the best investment to produce a huge expensive remake for the lowest selling system????? Think about it. Where is the logic in that. Exactly, you're going to put that investment into new projects, not rehash old ones. (They are in fact already gambling with FF13 as it may only sell well in Japan due to the fact that the PS3 is last in other parts of the world.)

5. Won't see it for Xbox or Nintendo. Well you just won't. I recall Sony has some type of ownership of the company. At least as far as this game is concerned. I think it was stocks or something. Or a joint publisher of FF7. Why do you think Crisis Core is coming to the PSP instead of the better selling DS (I'm ignoring the fact that Crisis Core is using graphics above the DS capabilities)? Even with less graphics it would sell better on DS. Sony has some ownership of this game. Can't remember exactly, and not about to look it up. I pretty sure it was a joint publisher though.

6. Square Enix is going a little hand held crazy as of late, if you didn't notice (though a lot of these handheld titles are being developed by subsidieries ). This would be the most likely place you'll see a remake, would just be a graphical update instead of a full blown new game. And will probably be programmed by a side company with Nomura heading it. The reason is because the handheld market is HOT HOT HOT right now. The DS and PSP are blowing away the other consoles in sales right now. And handheld games cost much less to develope and are quicker to turn a profit than the full blown out graphics. Expect a remake in this category if it happens, and only to preserve the game so people will still get to play instead of forgetting about it. (this was why Trigger came out in Chronicles, many complaints that people couldn't get the game anymore).

7. There's a shift in gaming right now. RPG's are changing. They are getting more action oriented. Turn based combat is starting to become tedious to many gamers and a remake of an old battle system would not fly with many gamers even if it is the great FF7. And making it actiony, ah no! that would just be wrong and would defeat the purpose of a remake. So a remake could be a risky investment when interests have changed.

8. Only those that played the original would touch it. And this number would be less than the original fan base. The new generation, would probably ignore it completely. They will have 13 to play and will say the same thing about the old games just like when 7 was released. Were these FF series noobs interested in the 16-bit era games, no way. It would have to have stunning graphics and be superior to 13. Which gets back into cost.

9. Japan is really the only super great market for RPGs. They do sell in other places of the world and turn a profit and top lists of sales, but fall far short to other games. Final Fantasy 13 won't even come close to the sales of GTA 4 and you know it. They were only topping the list during the 32 bit era. Now it takes Japan to justify the cost to produce a FF at all where half their sales are.

I've stated enough reasons. And if you noticed, most of it comes down to cost and resources. Cost, cost, cost. on a gamble that may not turn a large enough profit for the company to justify the cost to produce. And in my opinion, I don't believe Nomura and Kitase are interested in doing a remake. They are the only ones left and they are a little busy. Kitase is more of a producer now than a developer. So he's out on time constraints alone as he's overseeing probably 20+ projects. And Nomura well...how about a scenario. After Nomura gets done with 13. Buena Vista games will be calling him the next day and they will have this conversation: "ok you finished FF13 so ah, will you be turning your full attention to the development of KH3 now? how far into development are we, what's our time frame for a release, how's the game looking?" That will be their conversation He'll finish that in time to turn his full attention to FF14. And so forth, with occasional side projects in between. But that's just getting back to reason 1. No guys, sorry a remake is not coming. The factors are stacking up against the idea.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
02-17-2008, 07:57 AM
5. Won't see it for Xbox or Nintendo. Well you just won't. I recall Sony has some type of ownership of the company. At least as far as this game is concerned. I think it was stocks or something. Or a joint publisher of FF7. Why do you think Crisis Core is coming to the PSP instead of the better selling DS (I'm ignoring the fact that Crisis Core is using graphics above the DS capabilities)? Even with less graphics it would sell better on DS. Sony has some ownership of this game. Can't remember exactly, and not about to look it up. I pretty sure it was a joint publisher though.Sony's stock in Square Enix doesn't give them any particular influence over the company, nor does the fact that they published FFVII preclude a remake from being released on non-Sony platforms. Remakes of Square's Nintendo-published games certainly didn't have any trouble making the jump to the WonderSwan and PlayStation.

The Crystal
02-17-2008, 08:06 AM
I've stated enough reasons. And if you noticed, most of it comes down to cost and resources. Cost, cost, cost. on a gamble that may not turn a large enough profit for the company to justify the cost to produce.

Do you have any idea of how many people are waiting for a remake?! It will sell like water in the desert.

And in my opinion, I don't believe Nomura and Kitase are interested in doing a remake.

......You didn't read any interview with them, did you? Not only Kitase and Nomura, but other people inside SE are interested in doing a remake too.

toad626
02-17-2008, 08:28 AM
5. Won't see it for Xbox or Nintendo. Well you just won't. I recall Sony has some type of ownership of the company. At least as far as this game is concerned. I think it was stocks or something. Or a joint publisher of FF7. Why do you think Crisis Core is coming to the PSP instead of the better selling DS (I'm ignoring the fact that Crisis Core is using graphics above the DS capabilities)? Even with less graphics it would sell better on DS. Sony has some ownership of this game. Can't remember exactly, and not about to look it up. I pretty sure it was a joint publisher though.Sony's stock in Square Enix doesn't give them any particular influence over the company, nor does the fact that they published FFVII preclude a remake from being released on non-Sony platforms. Remakes of Square's Nintendo-published games certainly didn't have any trouble making the jump to the WonderSwan and PlayStation.

True but Nintendo did not publish the earlier games. Square was the sole publisher. Stock not so much, but publishing is an issue. I don't think Sony would allow it and would probably slap down the law if they tried 7 on another platform. Either way, you know they wouldn't port it anyway to a non Sony platform. No matter the reasons they just won't.

toad626
02-17-2008, 08:58 AM
I've stated enough reasons. And if you noticed, most of it comes down to cost and resources. Cost, cost, cost. on a gamble that may not turn a large enough profit for the company to justify the cost to produce.

Do you have any idea of how many people are waiting for a remake?! It will sell like water in the desert.

And in my opinion, I don't believe Nomura and Kitase are interested in doing a remake.......You didn't read any interview with them, did you? Not only Kitase and Nomura, but other people inside SE are interested in doing a remake too.

To who? Look at 12's sales. Pitiful for a FF title (ok bad example,lol). Fact is it would take a new generation of fans to support it. There won't be enough of the old. I wouldn't buy a remake of 7. Why, I don't have time. I've grown up as many of FF7's original audience has. And will put what little time I have for games into new games. And many of my old buddies agree with me that they wouldn't buy it either. Same reason no time and we want something new with what little time we have for games. Basically the old audience will be less And the new audience, isn't going to happen. Games are not heading for an RPG future. As much as I love them, I'm realistic. They aren't nearly as popular outside of Japan as other genres. GTA 4 to be exact. You know it will sell 3 or 4 times as much as FF13. Do not argue that. Yes I'll even be picking it up. Of course I'm more interested in 13 though. But I'm out of the popular vote. Basically there're wouldn't be enough of the old audience to support the cost of a remake and without new people = a dead game.

They only said they want to work on what the people want. They never said they wanted to remake FF7. Thinking logically, why would they want to remake it instead of create something new? Ignore your love of the game. That's like a researcher creating a new antibiotic releasing it to market then going back in to change it. That doesn't happen. You get other people to evaluate it and change it, because you are done with it and want to research something else and start work on a another antibiotic. Point is untold stories will have much much more appeal to developers than those that have already been done. That's the way humans are my friend. We like to do new things. That's only my opinion though. Either way it did mention that a possible remake would need to work with both Nomura's and Kitase's schedules. And in case you didn't notice but... Yea... It's not gonna happen those 2 are booked for probably the next 10 years. Just think how big KH3 will need to be to compete against other games.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
02-17-2008, 09:23 AM

True but Nintendo did not publish the earlier games. Square was the sole publisher. Stock not so much, but publishing is an issue.Nintendo published FFI in North America, just as Sony published FFVII in North America. Both games were self-published by Square in Japan.
I don't think Sony would allow it and would probably slap down the law if they tried 7 on another platform.They couldn't "slap down the law," because the law wouldn't be on their side. They have no particular ownership of FFVII.
Fact is it would take a new generation of fans to support it. There won't be enough of the old. I wouldn't buy a remake of 7. Why, I don't have time. I've grown up as many of FF7's original audience has.Most of FFVII's original audience are insane fanboys who would buy anything even tangentially related to Cloud and Sephiroth. The Compilation project has proven that the game is a huge cash cow for Square Enix.

The Crystal
02-17-2008, 10:46 AM
To who? Look at 12's sales. Pitiful for a FF title (ok bad example,lol). Fact is it would take a new generation of fans to support it. There won't be enough of the old. I wouldn't buy a remake of 7. Why, I don't have time. I've grown up as many of FF7's original audience has. And will put what little time I have for games into new games. And many of my old buddies agree with me that they wouldn't buy it either. Same reason no time and we want something new with what little time we have for games. Basically the old audience will be less And the new audience, isn't going to happen. Games are not heading for an RPG future. As much as I love them, I'm realistic. They aren't nearly as popular outside of Japan as other genres. GTA 4 to be exact. You know it will sell 3 or 4 times as much as FF13. Do not argue that. Yes I'll even be picking it up. Of course I'm more interested in 13 though. But I'm out of the popular vote. Basically there're wouldn't be enough of the old audience to support the cost of a remake and without new people = a dead game.

The world is much bigger than you and your old buddies. I visit many forums, and I can guarantee to you that the number of people who are waiting for a remake is HUGE.
And you aren't being realistic. You are just stating your opinion. But something you have to understand, is that you don't know the future and your opinion is not a fact.
You need to get your facts straight too. For example:

They only said they want to work on what the people want. They never said they wanted to remake FF7.

Wrong. They said many times they want to remake FFVII. Nomura even said in an interview that other people inside SE are constantly asking him when they will remake it.

Thinking logically, why would they want to remake it instead of create something new? Ignore your love of the game. That's like a researcher creating a new antibiotic releasing it to market then going back in to change it. That doesn't happen. You get other people to evaluate it and change it, because you are done with it and want to research something else and start work on a another antibiotic. Point is untold stories will have much much more appeal to developers than those that have already been done. That's the way humans are my friend. We like to do new things. That's only my opinion though. Either way it did mention that a possible remake would need to work with both Nomura's and Kitase's schedules. And in case you didn't notice but... Yea... It's not gonna happen those 2 are booked for probably the next 10 years. Just think how big KH3 will need to be to compete against other games.

"Why would they want to remake it instead of create something new?" you ask.
It doesn't matter. They want to. Deal with it.

And in case you didn't notice, Nomura and Kitase can work in multiple projects, they don't need to focus in only one. An example, is Nomura working on FFvsXIII and FFVII:ACC.

I'm sure you noted I'm being a little agressive with you, but I don't like when people state their opinion as if it's a fact.
You don't have a crystal ball to see the future, and you aren't well informed about SE's intentions for the future, considering the fact you never read any interview with them, it seems.
Therefore, everything you said here is nothing more than speculation.

demondude
02-17-2008, 11:27 AM
They remade games before its always a possibility.

Raebus
02-17-2008, 12:12 PM
I like this thread. Those are valid reasons and I agree with you whole heartedly, continue.

Selena_Akariko
02-17-2008, 12:41 PM

The world is much bigger than you and your old buddies. I visit many forums, and I can guarantee to you that the number of people who are waiting for a remake is HUGE.

True. But the amount of people who aren't going to buy a remake or have any interest in it is bigger.

:save: Selena

blackmage_nuke
02-17-2008, 12:50 PM
I think the problem is programmers choose to outright ignore gamers who say that they dont care that much about graphics!

Serapy
02-17-2008, 06:36 PM
Ah, that post took you that long to write? I'm sensing a huge disagreement between you and the whole FF7 thing.

It's funny, really. If you don't want it to happen, then that does not mean it won't happen. You think you are being realistic that it won't happen? Then consider facts that there are actually possibilities that it might get remade.

It's probably your opinion, but making opinions based on those things are nonsense.

toad626
02-18-2008, 04:26 AM

And you aren't being realistic. You are just stating your opinion. But something you have to understand, is that you don't know the future and your opinion is not a fact.
You need to get your facts straight too. For example:

They only said they want to work on what the people want. They never said they wanted to remake FF7.Wrong. They said many times they want to remake FFVII. Nomura even said in an interview that other people inside SE are constantly asking him when they will remake it.

Thinking logically, why would they want to remake it instead of create something new? Ignore your love of the game. That's like a researcher creating a new antibiotic releasing it to market then going back in to change it. That doesn't happen. You get other people to evaluate it and change it, because you are done with it and want to research something else and start work on a another antibiotic. Point is untold stories will have much much more appeal to developers than those that have already been done. That's the way humans are my friend. We like to do new things. That's only my opinion though. Either way it did mention that a possible remake would need to work with both Nomura's and Kitase's schedules. And in case you didn't notice but... Yea... It's not gonna happen those 2 are booked for probably the next 10 years. Just think how big KH3 will need to be to compete against other games."Why would they want to remake it instead of create something new?" you ask.
It doesn't matter. They want to. Deal with it.

And in case you didn't notice, Nomura and Kitase can work in multiple projects, they don't need to focus in only one. An example, is Nomura working on FFvsXIII and FFVII:ACC.

I'm sure you noted I'm being a little agressive with you, but I don't like when people state their opinion as if it's a fact.
You don't have a crystal ball to see the future, and you aren't well informed about SE's intentions for the future, considering the fact you never read any interview with them, it seems.
Therefore, everything you said here is nothing more than speculation.

Thank you for proving my point. You've been to many forums. LOL. Exactly. They are the 20% of the original fanbase that would support a remake. These are those of the original fan base remaining after we axe those of us that are after new games. (Which is higher than you.) These 20% are not enough. You need the casual gamers too. That was 7's success. No game succeeds with only the loyal fan base because you know you will sell that on name alone (12's sales problems, casual gamer sales are low and only core are buying it). You need to round it out with those gamers that played through the game only once and *gasp* failed to get Knights of the Round. Me and my buddies are a representation of that 80% fan base. I'm sorry but the number not interested in a remake is much higher than the number that are. Look around you, (meaning a non FF site) and see the types of games dominating right now and talk to people. The great FF7 won't be on their list of games they are looking forward to.

You're doing with all 7 fan boys do. Interpreting interviews to mean what they want to hear. Just because SE employees are asking doesn't mean Nomura wants to remake it. Him and Kitase never said the words, "I want to remake FF7".Their interview answers beat around the bush every time this question comes up. Their response may or may not be their feelings for doing a remake. That's why they don't give a straight answer. Which, yes it is my opinion, but I believe they don't want to do it, but won't say so, cause they don't want to disappoint so they beat around the bush, so little fan boys can interpret their words saying things like you just said. That way no promises are made or broken and everyone is happy.

Yes, but they usually have a main focus at a particular time. Right now it's FF13. When that gets done, it will be KH3. Like Nomura is probably only tinkering with story and maybe a few level designs for KH3 at this point. It won't get into heavy development until FF13 is done. At which point he will probably start with sketches for the next FF cast that he will be in charge of whatever that number may be. A full PS3 remake would take 4+ years of time. If you are SE would you have 2 of your best and brightest taken time off your current projects so they can go and redo one of your old games? The answer is no!!!! It would slow down production and possibly ruin your future new game. As I stated, this is why remakes are usually done by a subsidiary with one or 2 of the original creators stopping in now and then to make sure they don't screw it up (see Tanaka and FF3 DS). That way you don't have to take your best off their projects and you can still produce a remake to rape fans of their money. With PS3 hardware this setup does not work. Which is why we usually see this system as older ports with slight graphics enhancements or for things like handhelds. (see 358/2 Days as an example, h.a.n.d. inc is probably doing most of it. And Nomura probably just dropped off his character designs and comes in now and then to check up on them.)

I could care less about you being aggressive. You need an understanding of cost and profit to understand why this remake isn't going to happen. And No people I don't hate FF7. I loved it. Not as much as others as it ranks #6 on my list and would be #7 had I not hated 8's battle system (I actually thought 8's story was much better than 7).

They remade games before its always a possibility.
No. Not quite. They port them and it's usually done by a subsidiary company.

Edit by Kishi: Don't double-post.

Bolivar
02-18-2008, 07:54 AM
i've responded to each #

1. You're precisely right. Kitase's development team have been working on new square games since FFV... we're talkin over 10 years now. Older and other developers like Uematsu and Tanaka have gone back to oversee remakes, but not them. It would be surprising to see them go back to a remake. although I feel VII is inevitable.

2. I don't see cost as a problem as it would turnover crazy amounts of money, that's one point where we disagree.

3. Sakaguchi has moved on, but there's little evidence to suggest he's ever been on the creative side of things (except IX and, ironically, VII). Nojima and Uematsu formed their own companies because they don't want to go to corporate meetings - they want to create. Nojima's worked on and is working on so many Square projects it's no question he would come back to work on it. Uematsu recently stated in a 1UP interview he would come back to work on the VII remake.

4. I think everyone expected/expects that the ps3's turnaround is inevitable. Most people will tell you they're waiting for the new gta/mgs/ff, brand titles and developers that have made sony the legacy it has. With Blue Ray format now being the clear winner of the format war, the ps3 is a truly amazing package. Not only do they have the game angle coming around this year, but it's an overly appealing centerpiece for any entertainment system, and the large middle class family's dad's and kids will have plenty of use for it. Because of blue ray, it's going to really let people get the most out of their HD TV, which is soon to be the standard for everyone. Sony's got a real edge.

5. You're right again, it won't be on XBox or Nintendo. While maybe not Sony & Square, Sony & FFVII have a real partnership. Everything in the compilation has been Sony - PS2, UMD, PSP, and it's only a matter of time before we see somethin for PS3. I think it's more than likely to be the remake.

6. Handhelds (you're right again) are the hot thing right now, the majority of SE titles are for them, but the really big titles that they're going to get behind to push big units are going to be for consoles. If you look at how much handheld games for SE sold last year (ds & psp) - it's really only in the hundreds of thousands, not big blockbusters like console titles.

7. I wouldn't count turn-based out. It seems to be the new thing, actiony-oriented RPGs, but i wouldn't say the market has changed. It's only a recent fad with XBox and microsoft PC's now really getting behind the RPG genre(mass effect, knights of the old republic, fable), so you see alot of Western RPGs getting alot more shine here in the states than Japanese ones. I think if anything you're going to see turn-based evolving with the hardware. FFXII is at its core turnbased, just with a different spin to make it seamless. Alot of JRPGs are turnbased and they'll be more visible once more non-microsoft RPGs start coming out for next gen.

8. Definately not (I disagree on this one). I hear posters like GoldenBoko and PuPu say that they know "rabid fanboys" in their classes who moronically insist VII is the only good FF. We're taklin kids who were 5 years old when this game came out...So obviously there's a demand for it from the younger generation. Plus, since games are now being more accepted into mainstream culture, you're going to see certain titles, especially FFVII attain a whole new culture status, since the 80's generation has matured. Like the Godfather or Scarface are movies that are "guy classics", films that your dad loves, you now have young kids who will recognize FFVII as "that game that my dad loves". So not only are there for the teens now, but in the future a place for FFVII to sell huge numbers.

Not only that, but I see the complete opposite with my circle of friends than you do with yours. I see people now around my age - others in college, maybe friends at the end of high school, and others who are older now, some with houses and jobs of their own, and alot of people who remember VII from back in the day, we get to talkin about FF, and the conversation EVERYTIME inevitably comes to someone saying "VII was the best, though" and how, specifically, if they remade it for ps3 they'd buy it the day it came out. You look at any site with info for XIII or the compilation games and you'll see "they should remake VII for ps3" all over the place. Nomura and Kitase can't have an interview without being asked about it at least once. the demand is huge and it'd sell crazy numbers for square, maybe even more than the original.

9. FFXII sold almost as well as FFX, which was huge. It may be hard for newer RPGs or companies to break in, but FF is always going to be a seller.

So I agree, that it would be surprising, since Nomura and Kitase have been going from project to new project for square for about 15 years now... But with the amount of demand, it's inevitable. It's still generating new titles to this day (AC and Crisis Core arent really that old). Personally, I got alot of gaming on my plate - I'm trying to complete everything in XII, I plan on getting XI afterwards, and XIII and VersusXIII are definately going to get alot of play from me; plus I got FFTA on the side. And that's just the FF I play alone. So I really don't need this game coming out for sometime, but I do know it's a strong possibility, unless in the unlikely event that squareenix or playstation throw in the towel, it's going to happen.

demondude
02-18-2008, 11:30 AM
Square-Enix remade final fantasy 3 and they are remaking Final fantasy 4 actually.

Vivisteiner
02-18-2008, 04:48 PM
Nojima and Uematsu formed their own companies because they don't want to go to corporate meetings - they want to create.
Actually, the reason Uematsu left was because SE moved from Meguro to Shinjuku. Why did they move? Because Wada listened to a fortune teller who told him there was better luck in Shinjuku. What an idiot Wada is (assuming the story is true).

A Day in the Life of Final Fantasy's Nobuo Uematsu from 1UP.com (http://www.1up.com/do/feature?pager.offset=6&cId=3166165)
A Day in the Life of Final Fantasy's Nobuo Uematsu from 1UP.com (http://www.1up.com/do/feature?pager.offset=7&cId=3166165)

Bolivar
02-18-2008, 05:36 PM
Nojima and Uematsu formed their own companies because they don't want to go to corporate meetings - they want to create.
Actually, the reason Uematsu left was because SE moved from Meguro to Shinjuku. Why did they move? Because Wada listened to a fortune teller who told him there was better luck in Shinjuku. What an idiot Wada is (assuming the story is true).

A Day in the Life of Final Fantasy's Nobuo Uematsu from 1UP.com (http://www.1up.com/do/feature?pager.offset=6&cId=3166165)
A Day in the Life of Final Fantasy's Nobuo Uematsu from 1UP.com (http://www.1up.com/do/feature?pager.offset=7&cId=3166165)

lol, yes, i read that interview, pretty good, right? Actually, if you read his response, you would know that what i said came directly from there - he gave his 2nd reason because as the series became a huge commercial giant, he had to go to company meetings all the time and all he really wanted to do was create music. I put that as a reason as I'm sure it's the same for Nojima, too (i'm not sure what his is, but who knows, maybe it was because of the move).

I'm not gonna make a statement on Wada's intelligence, because it's a different culture and business culture there. But technically, you could say it worked out because Square has been pushing so many successful games since the move and merger, after it was near such a bad position before the merger. Plus SE has made an amazing number of quality titles over the last year alone, i would have to lie to say it didn't work out. As far as losing Uematsu, there's nothing stopping him from working on titles, Nojima does it all the time.

The Crystal
02-18-2008, 07:25 PM
Toad626, I'm not talking about a remake for PS3, I'm just talking about a remake.

Stating they will never remake FFVII is ridiculous. They already remade 2 FF games(FFIII and FFIV) in updated graphics, but they will not remake the most popular game of the series, because...?

Oh yeah, just because you said so. :rolleyes2

demondude
02-18-2008, 07:29 PM
Maybe FF7 will be remade for the next generation of handhelds.

Wuggly Blight
02-18-2008, 08:04 PM
Ive had enough of mainstream games going handheld, If there is EVER a remake, I'll be annoyed if its another hand held bit on the side.

leader of mortals
02-18-2008, 08:18 PM
I will respond to each

1. That's why they are going to remake ff7 for the 15th or 20th anniversary of ff7...

2. Many people will buy the game if it is remade, enough to overcome the cost of it

3. The original developers of ff3 have too if I am right, but that was a good game.

4. PS3 is very, very huge in Japan(along with the wii, Xbox is fail) and Japan is a huge place. Also, with PS3 winning the Format war and getting new games(Ratchet and clank anyone?) that are very good. PS3 will make a comeback

5. Of course we wont see it for these

6. They are handheld crazy because the earlier games came out for the nintendo and they just wont do good on a next gen console(too much for too little game)

7. Hello FF12, one of the least loved FF's(after 8)

8. How many games did this sell... oh millions upon millions... thats millions of players

9. Just because other games sell great doesnt mean this will sell bad

Dreddz
02-18-2008, 08:35 PM
When have Square ever shyed away from a bit of easy dosh?

Never say never.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
02-18-2008, 08:50 PM
4. PS3 is very, very huge in Japan(along with the wii, Xbox is fail) and Japan is a huge place.The PS3 has only sold about 1.7 million units in Japan. Compared to the Wii's five million units, as well as the fact that console gaming in Japan could be aptly described as "dead," it's a mistake to say the PS3 is "huge" there.

As for Japan being "huge," I'm not sure what you're saying. If you mean it's a more important market than North America or Europe in terms of console sales, it's not (again--dead). If you mean it's literally huge, it's only about the size of California.

Vivisteiner
02-18-2008, 09:18 PM

lol, yes, i read that interview, pretty good, right? Actually, if you read his response, you would know that what i said came directly from there - he gave his 2nd reason because as the series became a huge commercial giant, he had to go to company meetings all the time and all he really wanted to do was create music. I put that as a reason as I'm sure it's the same for Nojima, too (i'm not sure what his is, but who knows, maybe it was because of the move).

I'm not gonna make a statement on Wada's intelligence, because it's a different culture and business culture there. But technically, you could say it worked out because Square has been pushing so many successful games since the move and merger, after it was near such a bad position before the merger. Plus SE has made an amazing number of quality titles over the last year alone, i would have to lie to say it didn't work out. As far as losing Uematsu, there's nothing stopping him from working on titles, Nojima does it all the time.

I dont think the moving office would have been serious enough to have prevented them from producing quality titles. I just think it was a mistake. Not a big mistake but a stupid one.

Or rather, I think the reason for moving was stupid. Fortune tellers may be a bit of fun, but in the business world they are pretty much useless.

Notice how Im not criticising the merger at all. I think joining Square and Enix was not only good, it was pretty much essential.

toad626
02-18-2008, 11:59 PM
I'm impressed Boliver, someone that actually has some intelligence that I can respect, though I still have a different opinion on a few of your points.

1. It is possible but, example Kitase is how old now? In his 40's so. Following the usual human cycle he'll want to retire at around 60 (Unless he's insane and will want to work longer). That only leaves 20 years left. And a full console AAA remake of 7 would take 5 years (a 1/4 of that). Especially when he has so many projects he'd like to do. I could see maybee as a last project before his retirement but def there's other stuff he'd like to do first in the 20 years he has left. Anyone reading this 20 years is not a long time in the gaming industry anymore. As the new gen games can easily take 5 years to develop now. Nomura is younger so different story with him.
2. Yea we disagree here. Boils down to FF7 took the world by storm once, but I don't believe it could do it again.
3. HE WROTE MOST OF STORY! Are you nuts?lol. Nojima, Kitase, and Nomura then altered it, added here and there and vastly changed it. But still Sakaguchi did much work on the script. Why do you think 7's story got convoluted at times? Too many writers. Yes I believe Uematsu will come back. Easily. He's a composer. And a good one. I am myself a musician (no, not guitar or a crappy garage band, a real one, I read music for instance) And I can easily place him right next to the modern composers of today.
4. It's far from PS3 making a turn around despite what people think. Ratchet helped a lot (as expected since up your arsenal kicked so much ass.) But they've still taken some heavy hits, the biggest being GTA 4 being released the same day for Xbox. That was a blow to Sony. You're right on MGS though. And of course FF. Plus there's what nobody expected. That little Wii. It's 3 to 1 in sales in Japan. And the most wanted console here. Can the Wii be stopped in any part of the world? I don't think so. Then there's Microsoft's far superior online play... All problems for Sony. I got really mad when I found out Ace Combat 6 was heading to Xbox. Cause eventually I plan to get a PS3, but those are the best flight sims. damn........
5. We just disagree here.
6. Hold your tounge my friend. No big block buster hits huh. Have you noticed what system Dragon Question IX is coming too? That is going to be HUGE for the DS. Maybe not so much outside of Japan though. But Dragon Quest is actually more successful inside japan than Final Fantasy is. I read in a game mag once that the Japanese gov't asked SE to release Dragon Quest games on weekends so kids don't skip school to pick up the game. And putting it out on a handheld. That means those kids will be taking their gaming to school with them. Yea Japan's going to soon have serious problems with SE and kids being addicted to their games and not concentrating in class. So don't rule out handheld. Hell I even picked up a DS. A nice little device that I can connect over campus wi-fi. Love mario kart. No I don't think Dragon Quest is better than FF, but the Japanese sure love that series for some reason. I thought Dragon Quest 8 was only ok.
7. We disagree. I don't think they have a place. I think the microsoft ones have taken over. It's a shame, but that's what happens...I don't think it's a fad, wish it was, but it's not. Just like WOW isn't going to slow down. I didn't even like it.
8. I guess it depends on where you live. Different people different tastes. I'm a born and bred production of Cali. So we have a lot of distractions here and gaming isn't as big as places like I don't know... lets go with Kansas.lol. Like me, I kind of want a PS3, but I might say the heck with it and get a new Surf Board.lol. I did just move to Orange County for college. And I need a new board. Of course my circle was introduced to the far superior FF6 and Chrono Trigger first so that could have had some effect as well on 7 (yes we're old). People are different. But I agree with your point of it becomming a classic that the old men will always remember. I can already see the purists that will complain if a new game was made. "Ah the new one sucks, the original was so much better." You know that will happen. You have the purists with everything. I still say FF6 plays far superior on my SNES than the new ports that have been made.
9. Initially yes. But it should have sold much more by now than it has. I can still go to game stop and buy the collectors edition. Ummmm guys shouldn't those be hard to come by now since the game is a year and half old?

Demon dude. SE did not remake 3 and they are not remaking 4. Matrix remade 3 and is remaking 4 and surprise surprise, are using almost the exact same graphic engine. SE published 3 and will Publish 4. But they did not design it. The only development SE has with these is sending over Tanaka to Matrix to make sure they didn't screw it up. And 4 I think they are sending Takita and Asano over for a similar babysitting job.lol.

Finally guys, I'm not saying they won't remake the game. Of course they will. But I am saying they won't make a AAA full blown project that takes a team of over a hundred people. That will not happen. This is the remake I'm talking about that won't happen. The big one. So yes a remake will happen that will be a single A project, but not a AAA PS3 remake taking tons of valuable resources in both money and talent.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
02-19-2008, 12:16 AM
I read in a game mag once that the Japanese gov't asked SE to release Dragon Quest games on weekends so kids don't skip school to pick up the game.That's a myth. In reality, Enix (not Square Enix; they didn't exist back then) decided to begin releasing on weekends of their own accord.

SE did not remake 3 and they are not remaking 4. Matrix remade 3 and is remaking 4 and surprise surprise, are using almost the exact same graphic engine. SE published 3 and will Publish 4. But they did not design it. The only development SE has with these is sending over Tanaka to Matrix to make sure they didn't screw it up. And 4 I think they are sending Takita and Asano over for a similar babysitting job.lol.You grossly underestimate the involvement publishers have in games developed by subsidiary companies, especially when it concerns titles in a series that's important to them. In practical terms, it would actually be more accurate to say the DS remakes are co-developed by Matrix and Square Enix.

Bolivar
02-19-2008, 01:10 AM
I'm impressed Boliver, someone that actually has some intelligence that I can respect, though I still have a different opinion on a few of your points.

Likewise. It's refreshing to have a disagreement/discussion with someone who isn't apart of the "anti-bandwagon" bandwagon, trendy revitalists and such. (although your "far superior FFVI" comment makes me think twice :mad2: )

1. I don't think Kitase's age will have anything to do with it. At this point, I'm actually expecting that Nomura or Toriyama (he directed the events) would direct it, anyway, with Kitase executive producer.

2. all the compilation stuff sells well. I would think that the genuine article would do a couple times what those do.

One Problem I see - one of the main reasons VII sold so rediculously well and generated so much hype was how revolutionary it was at the time. People flocked to buy it and come over your house to see it because it was a big event in gaming. Now it wouldn't be so much, but regardless, as I said before, it's obvious as to how many people are foaming at the mouth for it.

3. Sakaguchi is credited for writing the original story, along with Nomura. But as he's also credited as "director" for FFI-IV, when in reality Hiromichi Tanaka and Akitoshi Kawazu directed those games, I wouldn't be surprised if he acknowledgements aren't overly exaggerated here. What I do believe he was behind was the cycle of life theme, due to him stating in interviews it was derived from the death of his mother. But it was Kitase who took that and gave it life with the concept of the lifestream - he was the one who came up with it. However, it's been established that the "fantasy based on reality" theme is all Nomura. And seeing as how the rest of the game after Midgar plays alot like V and VI, with the exception of parts on the planet and such, I'd have to say Kitase & Nojima's adapted script overshadows alot of the original story. Actually the developers have stated that much of the FFVII world is owed to Nojima, and that's why he'll be on every project.

4. GTAIV was supposed to be released on XBox first, but they waited to finish coding the PS3 version for a simulataneous release, so if anything it could've been more disastrous. Yes, there is ratchet & clank, plus MGS and FFXIII, you don't have to look far to find people who explicitly state they're waiting for those games to come out to buy a ps3. Hell, I was gonna wait but I had the money and I figured what the hell.

5. I think it's obvious a ps3 installment of the comilation is inevitable, as each game so far has been used to push a different Sony product. Since ps3's sales thus far have been lacking, it's obvious that they're going to want such a project for it.

6. I said there were no blockbuster hits. Even FFIV, which is an immensely popular game in Japan, only did about a half a million units. DQIX isn't any indication - that's a whole different story than FF, much less FFVII. Yes, DQ sells alot more in Japan. But even with the whole international factor aside, look at what the top 2 games are on Famitsu-readers' all-time 100 greatest games ever made. Final Fantasy X and...Final Fantasy VII. Yes, I have a DS and I'll be getting DQIX probably the day it drops in the states, but FF projects receive alot more attention from the company than Dragon Quest. Thank God we got DQVIII, but if you notice, they outsourced almost all of the actual work to Level 5. As they are for IX, I believe. But look at Final Fantasy XII, and now Final Fantasy XIII, that's ALL in-house development, they even kept Uematsu out of the loop. In any case, it's not going to be on a handheld.

7. When FFXIII comes out, it's going to be obvious that western RPGs have NOT taken over. People are going to go crazy over that game, especially since it's the first on the new hardware, just like for FFX and FFVII (maybe not as crazy). That's why alot of people didn't like FFXII, because it's not like those games.

8. Jersey over here. We do all kinds of stuff at the shore, too, but I think gaming is a generational thing, not a regional. Honestly, I think it's unrealistic to think there aren't tons of people dying for a vii remake, for reasons I said. people are demanding it all over, bring it up in conversations about FF, bring it up in EVERY interview with Kitase and Nomura. People, especially stateside are foaming at the mouth for it.

Also, my circle, we played games like Shining Force, Shadow Run, Phantasy Star. the first time playing SNES FF's I thought they were pretty boring (might as well throw chrono trigger in there, too). Regardless, FFVII took everyone by storm, RPG veterans (and friends of ours who played the original FF's) especially, it wasn't until I got to sites like these that I realized there were people disgruntled by it.

9. It's the tenth best selling game for the PS2. That's pretty damn good, considering how fans reacted against it shortly after buying it, in both the United States and Japan.

The remake that will be coming, in all likelihood, will definately be the big one. I honestly can't see Square Enix treating it the same way they did the remakes for the first 6, because VII is in a whole nother league in gaming history(despite a small minority who will defend to the death that its not). Also, I can't see Kitase/Toriyama/Nomura/Nojima going to make a Nintendo DS/PSP remake of Final Fantasy VII. The whole idea of the thing is hilarious to think about.

demondude
02-19-2008, 12:45 PM
It doesnt make a difference who remade it though the important things are that they were remade.
And on your engine argument, they are made on the same engine but so are a lot of games. In fact most games are made on old engines and are very successful take The Ocarina of time and Majora's mask as an example.

Roogle
02-19-2008, 04:11 PM
I read in a game mag once that the Japanese gov't asked SE to release Dragon Quest games on weekends so kids don't skip school to pick up the game.That's a myth. In reality, Enix (not Square Enix; they didn't exist back then) decided to begin releasing on weekends of their own accord.

A weekend release makes more sense from a marketing standpoint. I think that their theory lies in the fact that more people are available to pick up the game on a Sunday than on a working day. If I recall correctly, the Japanese work week is six days: Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, and Saturday.

toad626
02-20-2008, 02:38 AM
It doesnt make a difference who remade it though the important things are that they were remade.
And on your engine argument, they are made on the same engine but so are a lot of games. In fact most games are made on old engines and are very successful take The Ocarina of time and Majora's mask as an example.

Noted. But that's the whole point I was making, they outsource their remakes so they don't have use up all their talent for their AAA projects. Bad example demon dude. Ocarina good. Major's NO!!!!! I'm sorry, it is not a zelda game without gannon. He's the zelda villian. Majora's screwed that up. Plus it was all child link, who's cries annoyed the hell out of all of us every time he swung a sword. Then there's that little ___________ (fill in four letter word of your own discretion here, you know you hated her) NAVI. Oh how I hated her. Anyway, Yes you are correct many games use the same engine. X-2 did. Almost to the T minus slutty costumes and few new monsters with the occasional new area to explore.

demondude
02-20-2008, 12:24 PM
Majoras mask stuck to the roots just as much as any other Zelda game.
Wind waker was cel-shaded but that's still a Zelda game isn't it? Besides Majoras mask was brilliant and INNOVATIVE it shook things up a bit and people liked that.

Sephitachi7
02-20-2008, 05:13 PM
It is a good debate but in the end the remake, whether it is on the PS3 or on the PSP, depends on the decisions of the developers. We can keep arguing and trying to persuade each other of who is right and wrong, but it is no one's decision here. Therefore there is really no point in having this debate, seeing as it will not change a thing in what the developers actually decide.

For the record, I do believe there will be a remake. Hopefully for the PS3. Regardless of the system it comes out in I will buy the game and the system. I am in college yet the little time I have to play games I will gladly spend playing the new FF7, if there ever is such a thing.

cloud21zidane16
02-20-2008, 07:21 PM
Everyone has been stating points as to why it will or wont be remade, we re just going to have to wait and see.

Serapy
02-22-2008, 12:58 AM
It perfectly makes sense.
toad626 doesn't like FF7 or the idea of it being remade, so he seeked information regarding that the game may never get remade just to deceive people into believing that the whole thing is true. Anyway, you are wrong. So please try to remove your "feeling" from this whole thing and (like what I said) consider facts that there are actually possibilities for the game to get remade.

So of course, there are possibilities to each side (one for not being remade and two for being remade).

In the future, if it actually got remade. You will make a fool out of yourself (this thread).

I don't have time to research more, but there are a few possibilities that I know of that FF7 might get remade:

1) All the other old FF got remade. That certainly raises the possibility of other original FF games getting remade. e.g. FF7.

2) At the cosplay party in London, UK, Akitoshi Kawazu and Hiroshi Minagawa has told FF fans that the possibility of FF7 being remade on PS3 is risen. Consider this question is: why would they WANT to let FF fans down IF they ACTUALLY won't ever remake FF7? BTW, I was there at the party.

3) The developers of FF7 rushed in finishing FF7 because time was running out. That rises the possibility of it getting remade to complete the whole development.

4) The developers were pleased with the sales of FF7. So many customers made great reviews about it.

There are many more.

toad626
02-22-2008, 04:23 AM
toad626 doesn't like FF7 or the idea of it being remade, so he seeked information regarding that the game may never get remade just to deceive people into believing that the whole thing is true. Anyway, you are wrong. So please try to remove your "feeling" from this whole thing and (like what I said) consider facts that there are actually possibilities for the game to get remade.

So of course, there are possibilities to each side (one for not being remade and two for being remade).

In the future, if it actually got remade. You will make a fool out of yourself (this thread).

I don't have time to research more, but there are a few possibilities that I know of that FF7 might get remade:

1) All the other old FF got remade. That certainly raises the possibility of other original FF games getting remade. e.g. FF7.

2) At the cosplay party in London, UK, Akitoshi Kawazu and Hiroshi Minagawa has told FF fans that the possibility of FF7 being remade on PS3 is risen. Consider this question is: why would they WANT to let FF fans down IF they ACTUALLY won't ever remake FF7? BTW, I was there at the party.

3) The developers of FF7 rushed in finishing FF7 because time was running out. That rises the possibility of it getting remade to complete the whole development.

4) The developers were pleased with the sales of FF7. So many customers made great reviews about it.

There are many more.

I never said I didn't like FF7. It was actually a very good game. But at the same time it's terribly overrated. And it is def on the lower end of my list of best Final Fantasies. The only Final Fantasy I truly hated was Final Fantasy Mystic Quest. God did that suck... I think I would piss on that cart if I ever came across one for my old SNES. I'd buy it just to piss on it. My point was to try and educate people that it takes more than this so called "demand from fans" (though I still believe this demand isn't nearly as large as you all think) for them to push a full blown AAA PS3 project. All these retarded sites think it's something the company could just come in and do at any moment and boom a new remake is coming. NO. The world doesn't work like that. Time, money, talent, and everything I already stated. I've always wanted a Chrono Trigger remake in 3d as many others do. But that hasn't happened. And I believe that hasn't happened for the same reasons that I don't think FF7 will get remade. And no I wouldn't feel stupid if I'm wrong. I could care less. One thing you learn in college is that's it's ok to be wrong. Either way I wouldn't care, You know why, because my life revolves around more than video games.

It's dumb to say that FF7 was rushed. All FF's have been rushed. And many have been incomplete. They've said that so many times. You want an example of others. FF Tactics, DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT THE HELL THAT WAS ABOUT? It kicked ass, but what the hell was the plot? One of the WORST localization jobs ever done. FFX, if they released when it was scheduled to in 02 dialog probably would have matched with the mouths. But they had to put it out for the holiday season. 8 had many problems as well. I could go on.

And sephitachi7 it's not just that I'm in college that I have no time. I'm in a tough major, probably harder than yours. Which seeing as you are on a site like this is probably Computer Science. I was one of those once then I got my head on straight when I realized I was allergic to boring. Programming was not fun. Was a snooze. So I became a Bio-Chem major and haven't looked back. Love Chem. Certain majors require more study than others, and mine is more so than most other majors. As many of the Fundamental Sciences are.

Serapy
02-22-2008, 11:04 AM
I never said I didn't like FF7. It was actually a very good game. But at the same time it's terribly overrated.

How can the game be overrated when people have different opinions about it?

Did you play FF7 when it came out for the first time?

My point was to try and educate people that it takes more than this so called "demand from fans" (though I still believe this demand isn't nearly as large as you all think) for them to push a full blown AAA PS3 project. All these retarded sites think it's something the company could just come in and do at any moment and boom a new remake is coming. NO.

To bring better satisfaction towards customers and better productivity for the company, sometimes they have to listen to people and so on. That's how some companies get richer.

Anyways, that's not entirely the point.
FF7 has sold 9.5 million copies worldwide, meaning getting it remade would bring a higher chance of getting the same kind of sales because a lot of people recognize FF7. You know, getting FF7 remade is better than making a new FF game because there's a chance that the new FF game won't have very good sales like FF7.

I've always wanted a Chrono Trigger remake in 3d as many others do. But that hasn't happened. And I believe that hasn't happened for the same reasons that I don't think FF7 will get remade. And no I wouldn't feel stupid if I'm wrong. I could care less. One thing you learn in college is that's it's ok to be wrong. Either way I wouldn't care, You know why, because my life revolves around more than video games.

Chrono Trigger is completely different and doesn't come from the FF series.
Final Fantasy 7 came from the same series: FF1,2,3,4,5 and 6 are also from the same series and those already got remade, so why wouldn't FF7 get remade as well?

It's dumb to say that FF7 was rushed. All FF's have been rushed. And many have been incomplete.

Not really.... The developers have stated that rushing to finish FF7 is more worse than finishing other FF games.

They've said that so many times. You want an example of others. FF Tactics, DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT THE HELL THAT WAS ABOUT? It kicked ass, but what the hell was the plot? One of the WORST localization jobs ever done.

Ha, then explain why is there a forthcoming remake version of FF Tactics for PSP? ;)

...I could go on.

You didn't make any explanation about more possibilities of FF7 getting remade. E.g. at the cosplay party.

ReloadPsi
02-22-2008, 04:49 PM
So it seems everyone's so eager to see AC quality Cloud get in a bath with eight AC quality naked men. It's heartwarming to see such open-mindedness on these forums. I always knew everyone was lovely here! :)

Vincent Valentine 007
02-22-2008, 05:31 PM

There are many more.

I never said I didn't like FF7. It was actually a very good game. But at the same time it's terribly overrated. And it is def on the lower end of my list of best Final Fantasies. The only Final Fantasy I truly hated was Final Fantasy Mystic Quest. God did that suck... I think I would piss on that cart if I ever came across one for my old SNES. I'd buy it just to piss on it. My point was to try and educate people that it takes more than this so called "demand from fans" (though I still believe this demand isn't nearly as large as you all think) for them to push a full blown AAA PS3 project. All these retarded sites think it's something the company could just come in and do at any moment and boom a new remake is coming. NO. The world doesn't work like that. Time, money, talent, and everything I already stated. I've always wanted a Chrono Trigger remake in 3d as many others do. But that hasn't happened. And I believe that hasn't happened for the same reasons that I don't think FF7 will get remade. And no I wouldn't feel stupid if I'm wrong. I could care less. One thing you learn in college is that's it's ok to be wrong. Either way I wouldn't care, You know why, because my life revolves around more than video games.

It's dumb to say that FF7 was rushed. All FF's have been rushed. And many have been incomplete. They've said that so many times. You want an example of others. FF Tactics, DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT THE HELL THAT WAS ABOUT? It kicked ass, but what the hell was the plot? One of the WORST localization jobs ever done. FFX, if they released when it was scheduled to in 02 dialog probably would have matched with the mouths. But they had to put it out for the holiday season. 8 had many problems as well. I could go on.

And sephitachi7 it's not just that I'm in college that I have no time. I'm in a tough major, probably harder than yours. Which seeing as you are on a site like this is probably Computer Science. I was one of those once then I got my head on straight when I realized I was allergic to boring. Programming was not fun. Was a snooze. So I became a Bio-Chem major and haven't looked back. Love Chem. Certain majors require more study than others, and mine is more so than most other majors. As many of the Fundamental Sciences are.

Overrated? don’t make me laugh! Final fantasy 7 is a great game the graphics may be a bit naff now but the story and the game play is still very good, when anyone says a game is overrated it is clear they don’t like the game, I think many final fantasy games are looked at too closely and criticized too much. As for remaking the game I would like them too but if they don’t I wont lose any sleep over it, the original is still a great game.

Raebus
02-22-2008, 06:19 PM
It really is overrated. I LIKE the game but even I say its overrated. I think its good but not GREAT or the BEST out there.

People give it too much credit at times.

Bolivar
02-22-2008, 09:44 PM
Overrated? don’t make me laugh! Final fantasy 7 is a great game the graphics may be a bit naff now but the story and the game play is still very good, when anyone says a game is overrated it is clear they don’t like the game, I think many final fantasy games are looked at too closely and criticized too much. As for remaking the game I would like them too but if they don’t I wont lose any sleep over it, the original is still a great game.

Most definately, on all that. Of course there are people on this site that will to defend to the death that it's overrated, but if you remember what video games were like before, of course it was going to garner that kind of reaction from people, even Sakaguchi and Uematsu will tell you it was a huge jump, and they have in various interviews.

The only game I might ever say is overrated is Halo, but fans who say Halo is the best don't go into over-detailed analysis of the gameplay, or academic literary critique of the storyline, they just think it's a fun and enthralling game, like most FFVII fans will tell you. It's the detractors who come in here using overly critical devices, when, if applied to the games they put as undoubtedly better, would make them look like worthless works of garbage.

I'd love a remake, but like VV007 said, the original is still fun and still bangs hard on my surround sound system.

toad626
02-23-2008, 12:39 AM
I never said I didn't like FF7. It was actually a very good game. But at the same time it's terribly overrated.How can the game be overrated when people have different opinions about it?

Did you play FF7 when it came out for the first time?

Yes and unlike you I wasn't a noob to the series with the release of 7. I wasn't "blown" by anything. Not even the graphics, as that was expected. It was a new platform. Just like When 4 was released as 2 for the SNES. I remember that one too. Played that one for hours on end which really pissed off my brother as it was his game.lol. I was 8 I think when we got our copy of FF2 for the SNES.

My point was to try and educate people that it takes more than this so called "demand from fans" (though I still believe this demand isn't nearly as large as you all think) for them to push a full blown AAA PS3 project. All these retarded sites think it's something the company could just come in and do at any moment and boom a new remake is coming. NO.To bring better satisfaction towards customers and better productivity for the company, sometimes they have to listen to people and so on. That's how some companies get richer.

Anyways, that's not entirely the point.
FF7 has sold 9.5 million copies worldwide, meaning getting it remade would bring a higher chance of getting the same kind of sales because a lot of people recognize FF7. You know, getting FF7 remade is better than making a new FF game because there's a chance that the new FF game won't have very good sales like FF7.

Do you honestly think that the people on internet forums, the dorks that attend the SE parties, Tokoyo Game show, E3 and other nerd conventions speak for the whole of FF7's original fan base? If you do you have a lot to learn. You are probably 20-30 percent of that 9.5 million that bought the original game. The rest of us 70% have moved on to other great games. Instead of continue to talk about how great FF7 was and we should just stop playing games, because no one will ever beat FF7 (rolling eyes). Sure it was a good game and has its own place in history, but leave it there, and lets get some new games. Despite what you think, the masses are way more interested in GTA 4 than FF13 or if a FF7 remake did happen they would still be way more interested in GTA 4. And there's many other games that have people's attention. And then you have the media. X-play doesn't really care for FF so they are promoting games like Knights of the Old Republic. Which is good but I wouldn't give it a 5 like they did. The casual gamer sees this kind of advertisement on tv and that's what's he's going to get.

So basically, what you are saying is SE should just stop now? They won't ever make a better game than FF7 so they should quit while they are ahead? They hit their peak with 7 and that's it, the end? And let me guess, FF13 looks really good, but 7 is always going to be the best game right? You are ridiculous. They have plenty more great projects to make. Saying they should should be making a FF7 remake instead of these new games is anti inovation. You are a FF7 fan. I am a SE fan, and have played many of their other games that don't contain the words Final or Fantasy in their title. And I hold many of them in very high regard. 7 though good is not the "God" of the gaming world.

I've always wanted a Chrono Trigger remake in 3d as many others do. But that hasn't happened. And I believe that hasn't happened for the same reasons that I don't think FF7 will get remade. And no I wouldn't feel stupid if I'm wrong. I could care less. One thing you learn in college is that's it's ok to be wrong. Either way I wouldn't care, You know why, because my life revolves around more than video games. Chrono Trigger is completely different and doesn't come from the FF series.
Final Fantasy 7 came from the same series: FF1,2,3,4,5 and 6 are also from the same series and those already got remade, so why wouldn't FF7 get remade as well?

Apparently you can't read either. I stated in the original post that if a remake comes out, it's probably heading to handheld. Will be a graphical face lift, but not a new blown AAA project. We all know that some of remake will come eventually, duh that's a no brainer, when I speak of why the remake isn't going to come, I'm specifically speaking about the PS3.

It's dumb to say that FF7 was rushed. All FF's have been rushed. And many have been incomplete.Not really.... The developers have stated that rushing to finish FF7 is more worse than finishing other FF games.

They also stated they rushed 2 (IV) (you are probably too young to remember that) Read it in an old Nintendo Power. And it was pretty evident as it didn't have a very good localization job. They rushed 7, 8, and 10. 7 was no worse than the others. That's all fan propaganda.

They've said that so many times. You want an example of others. FF Tactics, DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT THE HELL THAT WAS ABOUT? It kicked ass, but what the hell was the plot? One of the WORST localization jobs ever done.Ha, then explain why is there a forthcoming remake version of FF Tactics for PSP? ;)

Yea, I think it came out. What a pos system. I feel sorry for the saps that actually buy a PSP. UMD is crap...

...I could go on.You didn't make any explanation about more possibilities of FF7 getting remade. E.g. at the cosplay party.

You are the very type of people that need to venture out more into not only the game world, but the REAL world. Example you went to Europe and went to a video game convention? What a waste of time. My ass would be after the ladies. Or hitting up what little waves they have on their shores. But I don't plan on ever visiting Europe. As I hate Socialists. Further more, until I hear the words I want to Remake Final Fantasy VII from Numora or Kitase, I won't believe it. Any little BS interview or whatever is discussed in them. These beat around the bush answers are no indications (I'll wait while you get the dictionary... back yet?) of their feelings for a remake.

Sarc the Swordsman
02-23-2008, 01:17 AM
I've pretty much given up on the hope of seeing a remake a few years ago. Sure, it'd be nice...but Square had their chance to make it a few years ago. Instead, they focused on silly subplots like Advent Children and Dirge of Cerberus.

The Crystal
02-23-2008, 01:43 AM

What he said.

And lets be frank. FFVII is so criticized and bashed these days(because of it's supposed "popularity"), that we can't label it "overrated" anymore.

Forsaken Lover
02-23-2008, 02:03 AM
FFVII was my first FF game.
My first RPG as well.

Though unlike the uninformed fanboy masses, I saw how limited it was and as I played further on in the FF series I saw much betterplots, much better characters. Then i went further and played Xenogears and Xenosaga and well, FFVII was nothing more than a hair on the ass of RPGs in terms of plot and development after those games.

If it is remade, I would buy it simply to see if they decided on whether Cloud threw Seph into the pit or if Seph jumped.

Then again, they'll probably get horrible voice-actors which will detract from my enjoying the game so I guess I'll stick with the original game; which, out of the FFVII franchise, is the only thing worth a dime.

toad626
02-23-2008, 02:36 AM
My first RPG as well.

Though unlike the uninformed fanboy masses, I saw how limited it was and as I played further on in the FF series I saw much betterplots, much better characters. Then i went further and played Xenogears and Xenosaga and well, FFVII was nothing more than a hair on the ass of RPGs in terms of plot and development after those games.

If it is remade, I would buy it simply to see if they decided on whether Cloud threw Seph into the pit or if Seph jumped.

Then again, they'll probably get horrible voice-actors which will detract from my enjoying the game so I guess I'll stick with the original game; which, out of the FFVII franchise, is the only thing worth a dime.

If only there were more of you. Xenogears was awesome. If you want something a little different check out Parasite Eve I &II. Sort of like Resident Evil meets Final Fantasy.

Sephitachi7
02-23-2008, 06:22 PM
My first RPG as well.

If only there were more of you. Xenogears was awesome. If you want something a little different check out Parasite Eve I &II. Sort of like Resident Evil meets Final Fantasy.

This is just one person's opinion. In my opinion FF7 was the best and VI was a close second. As for Xenogears I will have to check out. Many people criticize the voice acting but I really don't think it's bad at all. If you look at Kingdom Hearts and Kingdom Hearts II I believe they did a very decent job with voice acting. When I first heard Sephiroth on KH I was freaking amazed and it did not ruin the experience for me at all.

That is MY opinion. You guys have different opinions. In reality, even after reading this, do you think people are going to base whether a remake will be done based on what you 'think' will happen or your faulty predictions? No. The fact still stands that it is still a possibility. No conclusions can be made based on your incomplete analysis. Therefore everyone who reads this knows that there is still a possibility that it will be remade in the future (for the PS3 or maybe future systems).

The fact still stands that Nomura has stated before that if he finds the time, a remake would be interesting, and also Kitase has said that hope fora remake is not dead because many of the staff working on XIII, including themselves, are FFVII fans and many would love to work on a remake. According to their statements back in 2007, they were not currently working on a remake but there is always a possibility.

Everyone has their own opinions. I just decide to look at the facts and base my thinking on just that.

blackmage_nuke
02-24-2008, 02:59 AM
I think the "All the older FF's recieved remakes so FFVII is due for one soon" reason is a very invalid reason. Firstly not all of them had remakes, there were ports with added features eg:FFVI advance, but these can hardly be considered remakes. If you go by this reason then FFVII is due to have a new release for the PS3 where the graphics are exactly the same with a retranslation and some extra dungeons with the sex references taken out.
Secondly remaking a 2d game where expectations are limited is considerably easier and cheaper, than remaking a 3d game where everyone expects to be able to see the mole on Tifa's left elbow and cry with complaints of "substandard graphics" if they cant see the movement of Barrets nose hair when hes breathing

toad626
02-24-2008, 08:21 AM
This is just one person's opinion. In my opinion FF7 was the best and VI was a close second. As for Xenogears I will have to check out. Many people criticize the voice acting but I really don't think it's bad at all. If you look at Kingdom Hearts and Kingdom Hearts II I believe they did a very decent job with voice acting. When I first heard Sephiroth on KH I was freaking amazed and it did not ruin the experience for me at all.

You can thank Disney for the voice acting. Not SE. But it turned out to SE's benefit in the long run as they also were able to use a few celeb voices for AC. Though AC was kind of a weird movie. I wouldn't say it sucked, but it wasn't good either. Just entertaining and the fighting was kind of cool.

That is MY opinion. You guys have different opinions. In reality, even after reading this, do you think people are going to base whether a remake will be done based on what you 'think' will happen or your faulty predictions? No. The fact still stands that it is still a possibility. No conclusions can be made based on your incomplete analysis. Therefore everyone who reads this knows that there is still a possibility that it will be remade in the future (for the PS3 or maybe future systems).

No. Not all of my thoughts are opinions. Some are some aren't. The PS3 not doing well is a fact. Nomura and Kitase (currently) not having time for this project is a fact. PS3 projects need teams of over 100 people is a fact. Opinions are our Anti innovation people like our friend serapy who seem to think they should abandon all ideas for new games to make a FF7 remake. Because no new game could hope to be as good as FF7 and SE hit their peak and will never be able to top it no matter how good a new game is (rolls eyes). That's opinion. And my opinion is I don't think they should put the time into a remake if it means taking away/or delaying production of new games. Why, because I'm not set on one title. FF6 was always my fav until I decided one day to pick up X and X-2. I loved them! So SE is fully capable of beating out their own games. Too many that's not the case as they are set on FF7 (some FF6) will always be the best and there's nothing SE can do about it. WRONG! And I believe they will prove it to you fan boys. It's the difference between SE fans and FF7 fans. They are 2 different kind of people.

Any way, PS3 sales need to go up. Also a fact. Will it happen, who knows? Will the new Gran Turismo/MGS/FF13 be enough to save the PS3. (Blue ray isn't a factor yet. That's got another year until that factors in, until the Wal-Mart poor-middle class type crowd that makes up most consumer spending gets heavily into Blu-Ray.) Or is Microsoft already too far ahead in the world in sales and later to come, what will be the effect of their exclusive content for GTA 4 (MS is getting the better game than Sony) and continued dominance of online gaming. Plus the new Halo RTS that's supposedly being made. RTS is huge and doing it with HALO? Hmmmmm..... Could have a big effect as people love RTS, I know plenty of people that are aching for Starcraft 2 (looks good btw). The question is will Sony recover. Without a sold install base no game will succeed. As it's virtually impossible. Can't sell a game if no one owns the system. SE knows this so they wouldn't even think about a remake until this turns around. Business standpoint. FF13 sales will reflect their position, expect a remake decision to come after the release of FF13 is done and the sales have been analyzed. FACT! And my opinion is as I've said, they are probably a little nervous about FF13. They too, I'm sure are praying that Gran Turismo/MGS will drive some sales of the PS3. And no don't say the bs that a FF game (new or remake) could drive sales for the PS3. B.S. Not for 500 dollars it won't. You need more games than that at that price.

toad626
03-11-2010, 10:59 AM
Hate to say I told you so over 2 years ago.

Final Fantasy XIII 's Motomu Toriyama and Yoshinori Kitase - Interview : Tech Digest (http://www.techdigest.tv/2010/02/final_fantasy_x_1.html)

:jess::jess::jess::p:p:p:p

P4ine
03-11-2010, 07:38 PM
Either way, IF, by any chance, a remake will be released, I will be pushing this thread. And I'll laugh. Straight in your face. :cool:

But as it isn't going to happen anyways -so yeah, I agree with your points-, I think your chances are good for not getting laughed at.

Suikojowy
03-13-2010, 06:25 PM
I really don't want a remake and seeing little things like this (http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2010/03/13/square_enix_next_gen_engine/) don't help

Kawaii Ryűkishi
03-13-2010, 07:53 PM
A delayed "I told you so" isn't worth dredging up an ancient thread.